• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

2024 STEAM Concurrent Players(CCU) Official Watch Thread

It's really, really steep.

One can argue that Palworld isn't really much of a multiplayer game, so it's kinda natural that people have had their fill and are done with it, but you'd think a 96% drop would create some headlines. Then again Multiversus didn't get headlines till it was at 99%.

That being said, a 74k player peak is still really good in terms of raw numbers, I think. As long as it doesn't go further down... Well, we'll see what happens if/when Pocket Pair starts supporting the game long-term. Game definitely blew up too fast.

Those headlines were made about three weeks ago, but interest in the title isn't only dropping on Steam. It's dropping generally and so there's less interest (aka no clicks) from game's media.

The next game based off the Hololive VTubers and published under the holoindie label will release in around one day.

It's a classic beat'em up featuring couch co-op play from the same dev/animator (Kay Yu) as the biggest Hololive fangame, Holocure. Depending on how many of the Hololive JP/EN/ID members stream it, I'm curious to see what the CCU for it will be like. I'm pretty sure it'll be free or very-very-low-priced as Kay Yu does these kinds of games as passion projects due to being a big Hololive fan and wanting to share the love with the community.

HD2 jumped back to #1 paid game with the update today

That's insane.

Also, it seems like Sony finally gave them a marketing budget, since they're now sharing videos on new orders (and for new stuff like the flying insects [which is clearly the termicide's fault]) and they're all reasonably well made.

On January 27 Palworld reached its peak CCU of 2,101,867. Two months later (March 27) Palworld peaked at 74,502, a drop of ~96.45%. I’m not a long-time watcher of the Steam DB charts, but that seems pretty steep to me?
Release hype and the controversy both died down. The game is still doing "well" on Steam, but discord have moved on to other games.

On January 27 Palworld reached its peak CCU of 2,101,867. Two months later (March 27) Palworld peaked at 74,502, a drop of ~96.45%. I’m not a long-time watcher of the Steam DB charts, but that seems pretty steep to me?
The game has maybe 30 hours of content if we're being honest. I'm not surprised it fell off that hard.

That's insane.

Also, it seems like Sony finally gave them a marketing budget, since they're now sharing videos on new orders (and for new stuff like the flying insects [which is clearly the termicide's fault]) and they're all reasonably well made.

I've also periodically seen HD2 ads on youtube for the last few weeks, so yeah they're thinking of keeping up player acquisition which is vital for the long term success of the game.

Looking purely at Steam, there doesn't seem to be have big coming out for at least 2 weeks(Infection Free Zone on the 11th) and the next potential huge game is not until Manor Lords on the 26th of April.
HD2 should continue to softly fall.

Which reminds me, I'll be updating the April list soon.

I feel like with all the success and whatnot they would have put out a roadmap by now if they were going to do it. I’m still not sure they will put out a traditional roadmap

I've also periodically seen HD2 ads on youtube for the last few weeks, so yeah they're thinking of keeping up player acquisition which is vital for the long term success of the game.

Looking purely at Steam, there doesn't seem to be have big coming out for at least 2 weeks(Infection Free Zone on the 11th) and the next potential huge game is not until Manor Lords on the 26th of April.
HD2 should continue to softly fall.

Which reminds me, I'll be updating the April list soon.

About that: This week it was down every day in comparison to last week... But today it peaked at 6k higher than last Thursday. Or is Good Friday a holiday in Europe and this is why it has risen a little the day before?

About that: This week it was down every day in comparison to last week... But today it peaked at 6k higher than last Thursday. Or is Good Friday a holiday in Europe and this is why it has risen a little the day before?

You've most likely identified the cause, Wikipedia tells me this:

In many countries and territories with a strong Christian tradition such as Australia, Bermuda, Brazil, Canada, the countries of the Caribbean, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Czech Republic, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Hungary, Malta, Mexico, New Zealand,[94][95][96] Peru, the Philippines, Portugal, the Scandinavian countries, Singapore, Spain, Switzerland, the United Kingdom, and Venezuela, the day is observed as a public or federal holiday.

DD2 Patch is out on Steam just in time for the weekend, Reddit users are claiming performance is visibly better in cities which were the worst performing areas of the game. DLSS is also improved to a degree but some say it still needs some tweaking. reviews for the past few days averaged at 68% positive so this should further boost the crawl to mostly positive (currently sitting at 55,58% so there's a long way to go)

I feel like with all the success and whatnot they would have put out a roadmap by now if they were going to do it. I’m still not sure they will put out a traditional roadmap
The popular sentiment among players seems to be against them releasing a roadmap. New content suddenly dropping with only an in-game news report or very rare spawns for a while before becoming widely introduced has been one of the celebrated aspects of how they're handling a live service.

The popular sentiment among players seems to be against them releasing a roadmap. New content suddenly dropping with only an in-game news report or very rare spawns for a while before becoming widely introduced has been one of the celebrated aspects of how they're handling a live service.

Yeah, it kinda spreads like a rumor and builds up expectation to finally being able to see the new things. It's been working so far.

Added new titles for April.

April 5th - Sons of Valhalla
Developer: Pixel Chest
Publisher: Hooded Horse(Same as Manor Lords, also coming out this month)
Genre: 2D Action, Base Building
Sons of Valhalla combines side-scrolling combat with base-building strategy in a beautiful pixel-art Viking Age world. You play as Thorald Olavson, a warrior hell-bent on tracking down the Jarl who burned down his home, stole his beloved, and fled to distant England. You cannot achieve victory in these unfamiliar lands alone, however. For that, you will need a warband and a fortress from which you can launch your search efforts and conquests. Build and strengthen your stronghold to generate resources while personally leading your warriors in combat to take on your enemies and lay siege to their settlements.

April 10th - Broken Roads
Developer: Drop Bear Bytes
Publisher: Versus Evil, tinyBuild
Genre: RPG, Post-Apocalyptic
Broken Roads is a story-rich, party-based RPG set in a decaying, post-apocalyptic version of the vast Australian Outback, featuring a genre-redefining morality system. Survive, form bonds, and make tough choices that will shape your dangerous yet mesmerizing journey across the wilds.

April 11th - Infection Free Zone
Developer: Jutsu Games
Publisher: Games Operators
Genre: Strategy, City Builder, Zombies
Choose any real region from the world. Choose your base of operations, then rebuild and readapt the buildings around you to create a self-sustaining settlement. Take charge of a group of survivors from your city. And when the night falls - Defend the zone from the infected!

The drop for Dragon's Dogma 2 isn't that bad. It is still #3/#4 on best sellers globally, and that's after falling a bit for a few hours. It's actually doing pretty good considered it needed a rebound in wom.

Reviews over the past 48 hours for DD2 have been decently higher than before, averaging 75% positive after the patch dropped (was 68% before as per my post above, didn't really ever exceed 70%). If I were Capcom I'd properly announce patch 2 next week even if the timeframe is months away, it should build trust in players that their complaints will be adressed.

It already over performed the first week
It didn't overperform.
The game's reputation was damaged by the MTX and bad performance controversy.
Dragon's Dogma 2 was pretty anticipated by a part of the gaming community. Preorders were quite good and it performed according to expectations at launch day however day 2 and beyond were not part of those expectations. So the derail by the big controversy makes more sense. A $70 game was judged more harshly as well.

Edit: Steam's also grown a lot since January 2016 so this much CCU is not unexpected for a cult classic's sequel.

Last edited:
It didn't overperform.
The game's reputation was damaged by the MTX and bad performance controversy.
Dragon's Dogma 2 was pretty anticipated by a part of the gaming community. Preorders were quite good and it performed according to expectations at launch day however day 2 and beyond were not part of those expectations. So the derail by the big controversy makes more sense. A $70 game was judged more harshly as well.

Edit: Steam's also grown a lot since January 2016 so this much CCU is not unexpected for a cult classic's sequel.

It had a much higher CCU than Resident Evil 4 and came in just under Monster Hunter World which is a culture shifting massive multiplayer game. DD is pretty much a new IP for the majority of gamers today.

It had a much higher CCU than Resident Evil 4 and came in just under Monster Hunter World which is a culture shifting massive multiplayer game. DD is pretty much a new IP for the majority of gamers today.

He's talking about performance relative to pre-launch metrics.
As pointed out by my tracking of RE4R vs DD2 over the last few weeks, it was deeply ahead in terms of follower count and was also doing decently better than RE4R in that department as well.

I don't think this back in forth is really going to get us anywhere until we get more data. Ultimately, we have just enough data to interpret either a slightly more negative meaning or a positive one. It did well the first few days, had a big drop for like half a day, then stabilized to a more normal drop for an RPG. So you can really interpret basically anything you want out of it except the most extreme positions from that.

Personally, I don't think it's that hard to say it overperformed relative to the where the IP has been in the past, while also saying it could have blown up way more than it did. And I'm surprised more people aren't taking that position.
I think the sales information we have leans more on the positive end, the performance here probably already makes it the 3rd biggest franchise Capcom has currently by default. It just could have done even better, it's ok for something to perform very well but also be disappointing relative to what it could hve been.

Majority yes but a lot of people played the original on PC and consoles post release.. didn't it sell like 8m LTD wise? so you have 8m potential buyers of the 2nd game out of which a vast minority bought the 2nd but that vast minority isn't too small.

DD2 is also an open world skyrim like game. It got fantastic review scores as well.

Also I do not believe that Resident Evil which is a linear single player game has more potential for a big CCU at launch then DD2. DD2 is more of a PC game than Resident Evil games, part of which why you see more people wanting to play DD2.

Majority yes but a lot of people played the original on PC and consoles post release.. didn't it sell like 8m LTD wise? so you have 8m potential buyers of the 2nd game out of which a vast minority bought the 2nd but that vast minority isn't too small

Keep in the mind the 8m LTD number includes Dark Arisen remaster so a lot of it is repeat buyers

I don't think this back in forth is really going to get us anywhere until we get more data. Ultimately, we have just enough data to interpret either a slightly more negative meaning or a positive one. It did well the first few days, had a big drop for like half a day, then stabilized to a more normal drop for an RPG. So you can really interpret basically anything you want out of it except the most extreme positions from that.

Personally, I don't think it's that hard to say it overperformed relative to the where the IP has been in the past, while also saying it could have blown up way more than it did. And I'm surprised more people aren't taking that position.
I think the sales information we have leans more on the positive end, the performance here probably already makes it the 3rd biggest franchise Capcom has currently by default. It just could have done even better, it's ok for something to perform very well but also be disappointing relative to what it could hve been.

As the OP, I think keeping it solely on what the thread is about(Steam CCUs) would be best.
This is not a sales thread so the usual waiting for more sales data/publisher expectations is pretty irrelevant in my opinion.
DD2's launch CCU performance is in line with its pre-launch metric on the platform.
Based on them, it was clearly going to do more than RE4R and that its ceiling was quite high.
Within that context, the game did not overperform nor did it underperform, with the caveat that its potential ceiling was much larger(weekend growth was minimal due to negative launch reception).

An overperformance would be something like Helldivers 2 which had 62k followers 1 day before launch and managed a peak CCU of 458,709.

Same with Palworld, its pre-launch metrics were a tad bit lower,still 100k+ followers pre launch and #7-8 most wishlisted game at the time(DD2 peaked at #6). So all in all, its launch but these metrics were a tad weaker than DD2 and yet it managed the absurd number of 2M+ CCU peak.

A smaller scale game that overperformed massively would be something like Supermarket Simulator.
The game had 2k followers and was like one of thousands of yearly small games that gets released on Steam every year(that almost nobody pay attention to) and managed to hit 51,363 with the game still being played at 30K+ daily.

Last edited:
Keep in the mind the 8m LTD number includes Dark Arisen remaster so a lot of it is repeat buyers
A lot yes but personally speaking I do think that double dippers are probably not the majority of buyers for the game.
All in all like the previous poster said, I was talking about the pre-launch metrics backing up the game to sell the way it did at launch. It didn't overperform. It was just years of a fanbase building up, wanting a sequel, finally getting it, fantastic review scores, etc.

How is something like Metaphor Refantazio doing, going by the pre release metrics on Steam?
Is it even really fair to say anything conclusive at this point? It's at least half a year out and Atlus is yet to shift major marketing towards it outside of the odd Twitter post. It is already tracking above SMTVV though.

Last edited:
How is something like Metaphor Refantazio doing, going by the pre release metrics on Steam?

Way too early to say for this game really, it has no concrete release date and its Steam page has only been up since Feb 29th(SMTV Feb 28th).
We can compare these two in the first month(Feb 28th--->March 28th)

SMTV
Feb 28th: 1,789
Mar 28th: 5,595

Metaphor
Mar 1st: 1,575(I picked the 2nd day because the first was 272, so probably late for EU timezone)
Mar 31st: 6,627

We can also try to compare 1st month metrics to other Atlus/SEGA games.

Soul Hackers 2
June 10th: 1,123
July 10th: 6,574

Launch CCU: 5,692

But again, like @Kirby64 is saying, it is much too early to predict anything other than early data indicates like it'll be one of those 4-8k~ CCU that so many Atlus games(not P3R/P4G/P5R) are usually around based on their SteamDB page.

Way too early to say for this game really, it has no concrete release date and its Steam page has only been up since Feb 29th(SMTV Feb 28th).
We can compare these two in the first month(Feb 28th--->March 28th)

SMTV
Feb 28th: 1,789
Mar 28th: 5,595

Metaphor
Mar 1st: 1,575(I picked the 2nd day because the first was 272, so probably late for EU timezone)
Mar 31st: 6,627

We can also try to compare 1st month metrics to other Atlus/SEGA games.

Soul Hackers 2
June 10th: 1,123
July 10th: 6,574

Launch CCU: 5,692

But again, like @Kirby64 is saying, it is much too early to predict anything other than early data indicates like it'll be one of those 4-8k~ CCU that so many Atlus games(not P3R/P4G/P5R) are usually around based on their SteamDB page.
Its a pity if Atlus new ip thats basically Persona, end up doing subpar numbers on Steam.

But like you said, too early to tell

I wonder if Refantazio having a marketing deal with Xbox will affect sales negatively. It was such an odd choice by Atlus.
Every deal any company makes about releasing games on Xbox and marketing on Xbox is just because of moneyhatting from Microsoft, because the games sell abysmally there, Xbox ecosystem don't buy games, only gamepass.

Every deal any company makes about releasing games on Xbox and marketing on Xbox is just because of moneyhatting from Microsoft, because the games sell abysmally there, Xbox ecosystem don't buy games, only gamepass.
It's effectively free money for Sega/Atlus. Hardcore JRPG fans know this exists. The core Atlus audience knows (or will know) that this exists. They'll reach out to the larger Persona audience given that the core mechanics seem to include social simulation elements. After that, it's up to a good critic score/WoM to carry it to greater success - obviously nothing is certain but the Hashino/Meguro/Soejima trio has produced nothing but some of the highest rated JRPGs ever made for years at this point, so it's about as good as a guarantee as you can really get.

A lot yes but personally speaking I do think that double dippers are probably not the majority of buyers for the game.
All in all like the previous poster said, I was talking about the pre-launch metrics backing up the game to sell the way it did at launch. It didn't overperform. It was just years of a fanbase building up, wanting a sequel, finally getting it, fantastic review scores, etc.

Speaking anecdotally of course but I do not know a single person that had played original DD (and liked it) and did not buy Dark Arisen. Of course, that does not preclude your argument as the original wasn’t quite the best seller.

Horizon did alright on Steam

Another strong debut for a Sony title on PC... Horizon: Forbidden West was one of the US market's top 10 best-selling games during the week ending March 23rd after not ranking among the top 100 during the prior week. (Source: Circana retail tracking service, dollar sales)

Horizon did alright on Steam

The week on week drop is also fairly minimal if we look at the CCU graph for the game, 92% positive on Steam as well even with a few technical issues at launch and a couple remaining still.
So yeah, it might not had the biggest launch but it'll be a steady seller over time like the first one has been.

The week on week drop is also fairly minimal if we look at the CCU graph for the game, 92% positive on Steam as well even with a few technical issues at launch and a couple remaining still.
So yeah, it might not had the biggest launch but it'll be a steady seller over time like the first one has been.

Yeah, there's a lack of perspective in general when analyzing how those late ports perform. They obviously won't have an explosive opening, their moment in the zeitgeist has passed... But if the quality is there they'll just keep on selling reasonably well. And that's kinda the point for Sony, to have some revenue selling it at almost full price 2 years after release.

Steam Weekly Top Sellers Week 14(Mar 26 - April 2)

1. Counter-Strike 2
  2. HELLDIVERS™ 2
  3. Apex Legends™
  4. PUBG: BATTLEGROUNDS
  5. Steam Deck
  6. Dragon's Dogma 2
  7. FINAL FANTASY XIV Online
  8. Warframe
  9. FINAL FANTASY XIV: Dawntrail
  10. Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six® Siege
  11. Cyberpunk 2077
  12. Baldur's Gate 3
  13. Destiny 2
  14. Horizon Forbidden West™ Complete Edition
  15. EA SPORTS FC™
  16. Path of Exile
  17. Yu-Gi-Oh! Master Duel
  18. Dead by Daylight
  19. War Thunder
  20. ELDEN RING

-------

So yesterday a game called Content Warning released, hit a peak of 85k~ during NA peak times.
It is currently at 128,967 and still has a bit more to go before Asia peak.
It looks to be some sort of Lethal Company-like game.

The interesting thing here is that for the first 24 hours of release, the game is free to keep.
Quite the release strategy here.

new month, new steam hardware survey

languages
  • growth in many languages, with the biggest earners being Simplified Chinese (33.43% +0.59%) and English (32.54% +0.42%)
    • Spanish - Spain (4.24%+0.14%)
    • Portuguese-Brazil (3.57% +0.12%)
  • biggest losers in share
    • Russian (8.36% -0.91%)
    • Japanese (2.16% -0.31%)
    • Thai (0.76% -0.11%)
OS
  • Win10 grew (54.40% +0.21%)
  • Linux edging closer to 2% (1.94% +0.18%)
CPUs
  • Windows
    • Intel grew from 67.91% to 68.74%
    • AMD fell from 32.05% to 31.22%
  • Apple
    • Apple Silicon grew from 69.98% to 70.57%
    • the rest is older Intel systems that's quite resilient
  • Linux
    • continues to be AMD land, from 71.49% to 72.10%
    • Intel falling from 28.50% to 27.90%
GPUs
  • the current king, 3060 extends its lead with the largest growth, to 6.92% +0.75%
    • the laptop variant is at 3.06% -0.41%
  • second fastest grower is the newer 4060, 2.59% +0.60%
    • laptop variant, 2.36% -0.23%
  • new GPUs on the board is the RTX T10-8, which is a downclocked 2080Ti for streaming, sitting at 0.16%
  • Intel's embedded Xe Graphics might soon overtake AMD embedded graphics
    • Intel is at 1.87% +0.04%
    • AMD is at 1.98% and has no movement
  • the only AMD GPUs that show growth outside of embedded
    • RX 6800 (0.17% +0.01%)
    • RX 7900XTX (0.34% +0.01%)

They just stealth-dropped 2 enemy types like it's nothing. It's crazy how much better they are at releasing new meaningful content in comparison to companies 10x their size.

And btw, I discovered those 2 enemy types by dying to them as usual. I love this game

Back
Top Bottom