• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

2024 STEAM Concurrent Players(CCU) Official Watch Thread

just because you expect it doesn't mean you can't say it's garbage

Also as someone who has over 700 hours in Rise; it didn't have any performance issues (not any major ones anyway), you have several save files so you could start over again if you didn't like your first character without waiting to get tickets, and most of the DLC were outfits, music, and skins. Nothing like buying material so you didn't need to farm.

The whole point of upping the price this generation is so you don’t have to nickel and dime things like appearance changing features.
That's definitely not true, there are already games like Splatoon 3 that offer free cosmetics without charging and those cost $60. A $10 increase isn't going to suddenly remove a desire or need for another source of revenue for a game.

That's definitely not true, there are already games like Splatoon 3 that offer free cosmetics without charging and those cost $60. A $10 increase isn't going to suddenly remove a desire or need for another source of revenue for a game.

Most games allow you to change your character for free such as Xenoblade Chronicles X and Daemon X Machina. Capcom making you get tickets in MH to change your appearance was always strange.

Yup, Steam has a uniquely diverse audience, with very different tolerances and pet peeves. The thing is that DD2's problems are also so diverse that I think Capcom hit a jackpot and managed to annoy everyone.

I also think that for DD2, considering the CCU levels we've seen the game hit on NA on Thursday and the general pre-launch follower counts/data we had access to, it's clear the hype for the game was very high.
Gamers really don't like when their hype balloon gets deflated.

Did DD2 peak for today?

Wouldn't it go higher at night on a Friday?

DD1 was less Asia centric than other Capcom releases, so unless WoM really kills the game outright, it should peak again during EU peak in a bit more than 3 hours.

Its quirky game design ideas of exploration fits well with the hardcore EU RPG crowd.
They also might(?) have more access to higher hardware on average and have more players able to run the game at an "acceptable" capacity.

300K CCU dream is dead but still 200k> is great start for DD2. Thats over 1 million sold on Steam alone. Now it all depend on legs.
Its not dead. You still have Saturday and Sunday. It could rise upto near 300K tomorrow and then ~50K on Sunday.

In case you expecting 300K day 1, then yeah that was never gonna happen with Dragon's Dogma. Its a series that wasn't that popular at the time of its launch and only became a cult classic post release.

i’m playing it on PS5 it is incredibly rough. This might be the worst performance I’ve played in a game all generation and thats saying a lot after BG3 and Jedi Survivor last year

No framerate cap plus probably not aggressive enough with checkerboard rendering(getting GPU bound) means that the frametime on consoles are noticeably worse everywhere in the game leading to a jittery mess.
Depending on your PC setup and a bit of know how it is possible to manage things outside of the main city, but there's no such option on consoles. Many wrong decisions when it came to deciding what should be the console settings.

------

Stardew Valley new CCU record - 175,778
Continued daily rise for the game since the 1.6 patch release on Tuesday.
This will continue to do so during the weekend due to more timezones getting in on the action at the same time.
Horizon Forbidden West new CCU record - 27,907

BG3 performance on PS5 it was good lol.

It's also not an action RPG.
Fluidity's importance and how players react to things not being stable is not going to be equal across all games.

i’m playing it on PS5 it is incredibly rough. This might be the worst performance I’ve played in a game all generation and thats saying a lot after BG3 and Jedi Survivor last year

I got it on PC and nothing I could do managed to give me a stable framerate... and I have a reasonably high end machine.

Thank God for Steam's refund policy.

Huh, I was definitely not expecting DD2's peak CCU time to be in the afternoon in Europe/ 15:30 UTC.

No they're not, but the math is still the same. They aren't looking to trade Playstation players for PC players. If they go day and date on PC with all there games there risk losing that $1500 that the early adopter represents for $60/70 dollar they get per game they sell.
"In the past, we wanted to popularize console. And the first party title's main purpose was to make the console hardware popular... So if you have strong first-party content, not only with our console but also other platforms like computers, first-party can be grown with multi platforms and that can help operating profit to improve."

Totoki, in the latest Q&A, was very clearly talking about the way console exclusives were used traditionally in the past tense, as he talks about further growth. If they were satisfied with previous results, they wouldn't be talking about how multiplatform (PC) can help growth as HFW comes in lower than HZD.

I've read some mistaken posts on the internet that this was later clarified or contradicted, but it's not true. All that happened is that the short summary that was released didn't include that bit verbatim, but it also made it clear it was a summary and not supposed to be a direct translation.

Horizon FW will do 35-40K CCU which is decent result for late port. Also it will continue to sell in coming years with upcoming TV series on Prime.

Horizon 1 did 56k CCU and went on to sell ~4m in 4 years. Likely generating $100m net revenue for Sony based on IG leaks.

Latest figure was 3.3m in Feb 2023. Also $60m was net revenue with 2.4m sold.
forgot about that one, but comparing HZD rank in april 2022-february 2023 (1st period) and march 2023 until now (2nd period).
HZD only entered top 100 7 times on steam within 2nd period, while on the 1st period, it entered 15 times top 100. (from global weekly rank). HZD is probably has reached 3.7-3.8 units sold with <$80M in revenue.

And the CEO is talking about using PC for further improvements of margins, so while the $60 million is a decent amount they clearly see a need to get significantly more than that.
That's what their GaaS initiative on PS+PC is for, with Helldivers being the first, and Concord + most likely Horizon MP next.
As Shawn Layden said, single player day and date on PC is risky and probably not worth the squeeze.

And the CEO is talking about using PC for further improvements of margins, so while the $60 million is a decent amount they clearly see a need to get significantly more than that.

$60m was with 2.4m sold as of Feb 2022. By now its closer to $100m and ~4m sold.

$60m was with 2.4m sold as of Feb 2022. By now its closer to $100m and ~4m sold.
The number doesn’t matter, I just quoted the last posted. What matters is that whatever it is, Sony is seeking change. Which also does mean day-and-date live service, because that’s already the known status quo.

People will learn to accept it when it happens.

From IG leaks week 1 sales of Sony games on PC. This likely include EPIC store if games released there.

Horizon 1: 393k sold with peak 56k CCU on Steam. Ratio from peak CCU to sales 7
GOW 2018: 560k sold with peak 73k CCU: Ratio 7.6
Days Gone: 231k sold with 27k CCU: ratio 8.4

Ratio of peak CCU to first week sales tend to be around 7-8 for Sony games. Epic share maybe 5%? 10%?

That's what their GaaS initiative on PS+PC is for, with Helldivers being the first, and Concord + most likely Horizon MP next.
As Shawn Layden said, single player day and date on PC is risky and probably not worth the squeeze.
GAAS initiative is not new though, but Totoki's Statement is, meaning it is not aggressive enough where they're satisfied with the profit margins.

People keep bringing up these old statements and statements of Shawn Layden who doesn't speak for Sony. He's left the company a long time ago. Things can change.

Looks like Last Epoch has surpassed 2 million copies sold:

282ylwmktxpc1.jpeg

Seems like the controversies have negatively influenced CCU, only 17K increase on a Saturday so far.

It should be up by at least 50K or more as minimum but I guess not every big game is Elden Ring, which can get away with low user review score and bad performance issues.

Last edited:
Seems like the controversies have negatively influenced CCU, only 17K increase on a Saturday.

It should be up by at least 50K or more as minimum but I guess not every big game is Elden Ring, which can get away with low user review score and bad performance issues.

Elden Ring's launch reception with performance was never that bad from a numerical point of view.

I knew the 300k dream was most likely dead when we saw the small Thursday NA evening ---> Asia Friday evening growth.
A bit of a shame, because with numbers like these across the regions, its ceiling was very likely above even MHWs 334k CCU peak.

Elden Ring's launch reception with performance was never that bad from a numerical point of view.

I knew the 300k dream was most likely dead when we saw the small Thursday NA evening ---> Asia Friday evening growth.
A bit of a shame, because with numbers like these across the regions, its ceiling was very likely above even MHWs 334k CCU peak.
Elden Ring at launch suffered from heavy stutters consistently in the startign area and had bad performance and bad optimization in general. its User review score remained only 50%-60% positive for the whole of its launch period.

Elden Ring at launch suffered from heavy stutters consistently in the startign area and had bad performance and bad optimization in general. its User review score remained only 50%-60% positive for the whole of its launch period.

Which is still higher than the glowing red letters "Negative" of DD2 until it crossed into the mixed. People see that familiar red colour and they just stay away. Plus it didn't have the same review score and critics saying this is the 2nd coming of Christ in video game from.

All these things matter in the end.

Final Fantasy VII Remake its close to surpass the best peak in players, outside of the first weekend.
It's #9 on the global list.
FF7R really benefiting from staying at 50% past the spring sales unlike most other games, it's putting a big red sign saying: Hey, I'm like almost the only thing on sales. I know you guys love discounts, please buy me.

Square would be really smart to release the twin package for the PC Release of Rebirth too.

Whenever they release, who knows when... why is so hard for Square to make PC ports lol

Stardew Valley peaked at 224k CCU today. Over 9 times more than its launch month CCU eight years ago, not too shabby.
With 19M+ copies sold on PC(Feb 2024 update) more than 1% of the total players are playing this update at the same time.

The game still has a chance to peak again later during the EU evening.
I say that because NA is its 2nd highest peak since the patch over EU.
If we look at yesterday's peak, Asia was 175k and NA was only 5k behind at 170k.
The combo of weekend afternoon NA + EU evening has the possibility to bring forth a 2nd peak.

-----

PUBG managed to do better than last weekend with a daily CCU of 768,362.
This is a pretty sizable jump from last week's 706,785 which was the first time the game went over 700k since 2020.

Square would be really smart to release the twin package for the PC Release of Rebirth too.

Whenever they release, who knows when... why is so hard for Square to make PC ports lol

They will release FF16, sell poorly and then curse themselves for not porting a way more appropriate game for the audience like Rebirth first.

Btw, it looks like March 21 was the first day in almost 6 months since its release that BG3 peaked below 100K, by doing roughly 97900. It was a good run, champ!

Seems like the controversies have negatively influenced CCU, only 17K increase on a Saturday so far.

There's indeed a lot of bad publicity right now, but it is still publicity. But I do think the game's fumbled its release window and initial inertia which will definitely hurt its peak CCU, Capcom's actions or lack thereof will show us how it will do long-term.

It's gotten quite a few "front page of reddit" moments of bad impressions right now, though.

There's indeed a lot of bad publicity right now, but it is still publicity. But I do think the game's fumbled its release window and initial inertia which will definitely hurt its peak CCU, Capcom's actions or lack thereof will show us how it will do long-term.

It's gotten quite a few "front page of reddit" moments of bad impressions right now, though.

IGN also did a video on the MTX controversy, which is kinda high profile. They sugar coated most of the offerings, but did say the fast travel points was egregious s they're pretty rare to obtain in game.

IGN also did a video on the MTX controversy, which is kinda high profile. They sugar coated most of the offerings, but did say the fast travel points was egregious s they're pretty rare to obtain in game.
Whats also interesting to me is that its not the first time capcom has done this according to people who play their games but only this time its become a controversy..I do wonder why if its the exact and bare truth.. maybe the bad performance eleviated this issue? Or something must have changed with this game for it to spur into an outrage.

Yes indeed, this is in part what I meant with "reddit moment" as this is usually viral enough to lead to coverage from media websites.

Before all the controversies I thought it might pass 300k or 400k if it super broke out but guess not now.

I think it had a pretty good shot.

How does that Miyamoto quote go, a rushed game gets its CCU cut short but a delayed game will eventually become a 4th pillar franchise

Under all the controversy and performance issues this really is one of the best RPG’s that have come out this generation.

Whats also interesting to me is that its not the first time capcom has done this according to people who play their games but only this time its become a controversy..I do wonder why if its the exact and bare truth.. maybe the bad performance eleviated this issue? Or something must have changed with this game for it to spur into an outrage.
It's exactly as you said, the poor performance issues exacerbate the feelings people would normally have about a highly-anticipated game having micro-transactions for game mechanics that at first glance look to be intentionally designed to be inconvienent to place a paywall over.

It's exactly as you said, the poor performance issues exacerbate the feelings people would normally have about a highly-anticipated game having micro-transactions for game mechanics that at first glance look to be intentionally designed to be inconvienent to place a paywall over.
It's also Capcom's first $70 game, so the expectations are raised (side note, I understand why companies were so reluctant to raise the base price to $70 and try alternative streams of revenue now).

Plus the microtransactions didnt show up utnil the game launched, so there's a surprise factor.

And yeah, you have people digging up quotes from the director talk about how the lack of fast travel was an intentional design decision, something that sounds interesting... until you offer fast travel points behind a paywall. Combine that with the surprise MTX, and it's no wonder people will think the real reason for the lack of fast travel is to sell the option. Suddenly the decision strikes many as no longer artistic, but rather corporate because if it was truly for the design of the game, why offer people the option to just bypass that part?

Also Horizon 2: FBW reached 35K CCU today, thats 20K less than the peak of the first game. Seems like it'll finish at around 40K-45K in its launch period on PC.
Being $60 (and not $50 like HZD) and a 2 year old delayed port, its done not abysmal like past Sony PC ports at least. Almost half of Spiderman PC.

It's also Capcom's first $70 game, so the expectations are raised (side note, I understand why companies were so reluctant to raise the base price to $70 and try alternative streams of revenue now).

Plus the microtransactions didnt show up utnil the game launched, so there's a surprise factor.

And yeah, you have people digging up quotes from the director talk about how the lack of fast travel was an intentional design decision, something that sounds interesting... until you offer fast travel points behind a paywall. Combine that with the surprise MTX, and it's no wonder people will think the real reason for the lack of fast travel is to sell the option. Suddenly the decision strikes many as no longer artistic, but rather corporate because if it was truly for the design of the game, why offer people the option to just bypass that part?
The funniest part is the fast-travel micro-transaction is worthless long term. You only get a max of 10 stones normally, and the number doesn't change even after purchase. So if you find the 10th and buy the mtx or vice-versa, you just wasted money for nothing.

DD2 positive review percentage increased by 5 points over the last 24 hours according to SteamDB.

According to Steamscout, Chinese and Korean reviews are more harsh than the average.
55.44%✅English20.97211.6179.35555% +
(Mixed)
21.62%✅Simplified Chinese8.1792.3005.87928% +
(Mostly Negative)
3.23%✅German1.21973948061% +
(Mixed)
2.88%✅Korean1.08736072733% +
(Mostly Negative)
2.80%✅Portuguese - Brazil1.05941064939% +
(Mostly Negative)
2.12%✅Spanish - Spain80037442647% +
(Mixed)
2.07%✅French78040837252% +
(Mixed)
2.03%✅Traditional Chinese76733643144% +
(Mixed)
1.85%✅Japanese69826043837% +
(Mostly Negative)
1.68%✅Russian63232530751% +
(Mixed)
[/ISPOILER]

I think it had a pretty good shot.

How does that Miyamoto quote go, a rushed game gets its CCU cut short but a delayed game will eventually become a 4th pillar franchise

Under all the controversy and performance issues this really is one of the best RPG’s that have come out this generation.

Yeah, I hate that I'm not playing it... But I just can't seem to make it run okay. I think I'll rather wait and play it in a better state.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom