• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

2024 STEAM Concurrent Players(CCU) Official Watch Thread

Capcom charging for things other games just give you for free now is a clear example of how old school Capcom’s thinking still is when it comes to this stuff.

The whole point of upping the price this generation is so you don’t have to nickel and dime things like appearance changing features. BG3 added a bunch of this stuff post launch in for free. The 70 dollar+ entry price should be enough outside of actual expansions.
These things are all free ...

Last edited:
Player retention seems incredibly high with this one.
It has now reached a meme status, you see people quoting it online when people are talking about completely different topics, it's gonna hang around for a while
it looks like people are enjoying Alone in the Dark more than reviewers did. folks don't mind a little jank
A little jank sometimes makes games more endearing, especially with Horror.

Speaking of jank DD2's Steam reviews keep rising, now sitting at 48% positive, if they manage to push out a patch in the next few weeks adressing at least the save system it'd probably have a good impact on the future of the title, DD2 still has a lot of viral potential, some of the clips I've seen on Reddit are not dissimilar to those that made BotW into an evergreen.

Edit: as soon as I pressed send I refreshed the Steam page and it's now mixed at 49%, very important to get rid of that mostly negative so soon.

From IG leaks week 1 sales of Sony games on PC. This likely include EPIC store if games released there.

Horizon 1: 393k sold with peak 56k CCU on Steam. Ratio from peak CCU to sales 7
GOW 2018: 560k sold with peak 73k CCU: Ratio 7.6
Days Gone: 231k sold with 27k CCU: ratio 8.4

Ratio of peak CCU to first week sales tend to be around 7-8 for Sony games. Epic share maybe 5%? 10%?

Based on this peak CCU of 40k will translate in to ~300k sales first week including Epic Store. Decent start, but maybe Sony expected to do much better? You never know with Sony internal expectations.

----------

It's #9 on the global list.
FF7R really benefiting from staying at 50% past the spring sales unlike most other games, it's putting a big red sign saying: Hey, I'm like almost the only thing on sales. I know you guys love discounts, please buy me.

Remake must have sold 100k in last 2 weeks. Also $80 price is just rediculous on Steam for 4 years old game. Hopefully Rebirth launch at $60.

Last edited by a moderator:
Based on this peak CCU of 40k will translate in to ~300k sales first week including Epic Store. Decent start, but maybe Sony expected to do much better? You never know with Sony internal expectations.

Assuming this port's cost was similar to their other ones I doubt they're disappointed.

When you see that the maximum reached by Remake was 13k and then look at the number of Dragon's Dogma 2 exceeding 220k it becomes clear the size of Square's strategy error with the franchise.

Stardew Valley highlighted is always good to see. As much as I like all this new content, I would prefer a sequel with everything improved.

We can expect for them to beat that if they release the twin package for Rebirth on PC.

Considering how many people have bought the Epic Games Store version, plus how many people bought FF7R on Steam over time, it doesn't even need that. Just releasing the PC port on Steam instead of going through EGS first would beat that incredibly small 13k Steam launch.
It's a really really small number, especially when looking at the current Steam landscape of the last few years.

Stardew Valley highlighted is always good to see. As much as I like all this new content, I would prefer a sequel with everything improved.

Haunted Chocolatier will come out sooner rather than later, you just have to believe.

Considering how many people have bought the Epic Games Store version, plus how many people bought FF7R on Steam over time, it doesn't even need that. Just releasing the PC port on Steam instead of going through EGS first would beat that incredibly small 13k Steam launch.
It's a really really small number, especially when looking at the current Steam landscape of the last few years.

I think they meant for Remake itself. I also think it'll pass even the opening week CCU peak if there's a Twin Pack preorder option that unlocks Remake immediately. Especially if it becomes available as soon as PS5 exclusivity for Rebirth ends.

I really believe Square needs to be all hands on deck to push Rebirth on PC as soon as possible, even if it means putting it there before XVI.

Haunted Chocolatier will come out sooner rather than later, you just have to believe.
I mean for Remake and not Rebirth

Of course Rebirth will do much better if its not exclusive for a year and half and not exclusive for Epic

I think they meant for Remake itself. I also think it'll pass even the opening week CCU peak if there's a Twin Pack preorder option that unlocks Remake immediately. Especially if it becomes available as soon as PS5 exclusivity for Rebirth ends.I really believe Square needs to be all hands on deck to push Rebirth on PC as soon as possible, even if it means putting it there before XVI.

A port doesn't materialize itself like that.
FFXVI's PC port has clearly been in the works for quite some time if we're just looking how Yoshi-P's recent comments.
The production timeline for those ports would've been decided a long time ago.

I mean for Remake and not Rebirth
That depends on how long the port for Rebirth takes.
Depending on the timeline it could be very well the case that between now and the release date, more and more people would've just bought Part 1 independently through even more sales.

Until SE has proven that they can release a PC port without too much delay, that is not an expectation that I am going to have.

DD2 has drop to 3rd on the sales chart, behind Helldrivers 2. Legs not looking very hot right now.

Edit: Beaten by just a few seconds.

FFXVI's PC port has clearly been in the works for quite some time if we're just looking how Yoshi-P's recent comments.

That depends on how long the port for Rebirth takes.
Depending on the timeline it could be very well the case that between now and the release date, more and more people would've just bought Part 1 independently through even more sales.

Until SE has proven that they can release a PC port without too much delay, that is not an expectation that I am going to have.

I find it spectacularly stupid that they didn't have a PC port ready for the DLC and FF14 collab

And the CEO is talking about using PC for further improvements of margins, so while the $60 million is a decent amount they clearly see a need to get significantly more than that.
GAAS games is the main thing they think will grow their revenue, not only on console but mostly on PC. Games like Helldivers is what dominates PC gaming, not single player games in the style of Spiderman and God of War, those ports will always just be a bonus income compared to the sales they make on console where those games are much more popular than on PC.

I find it spectacularly stupid that they didn't have a PC port ready for the DLC and FF14 collab
Yeah, they have an event for FF16 in 14 but still nothing about even pre order for the PC version.

Sony paid for just 6 months too, i know people like to say that Yoshida is a smart bussiness man, but lately he have been just stupid and this is going to make the PC version just flop even if its the best PC port ever made

I know that, but with the exclusivity window being so short it would've been a smart move for them to have it in the pipeline to release around that time. And then there's the assumption that Rebirth port will be a more painless process due to the team having already ported Remake and acquiring the know-how in the process.

Capcom its probably going to give a pre release about Dragons Dogma 2 sales in a few hours or tomorrow.

Can we still expect 3 million in the first days?

Yeah, they have an event for FF16 in 14 but still nothing about even pre order for the PC version.

Sony paid for just 6 months too, i know people like to say that Yoshida is a smart bussiness man, but lately he have been just stupid and this is going to make the PC version just flop even if its the best PC port ever made
I think the fact that they can't make a PC port to be ready to release after the exclusive window is over is proof that SE enix development pipeline right now can't do day and date releases like Capcom. They can only focus on one platform.

I think the fact that they can't make a PC port to be ready to release after the exclusive window is over is proof that SE enix development pipeline right now can't do day and date releases like Capcom. They can only focus on one platform.
But they have done that with Octopath 2, Nier Replicant 1.22 and Dragon Quest XI S

But they have done that with Octopath 2, Nier Replicant 1.22 and Dragon Quest XI S
all smaller scoped and designed to be multiplatform. FF16 has Sony staff on board to extract peak performance, so there are probably parts tuned specifically for PS5. it was never really intended to be multiplatform until after they released the PS5 version

not the best method of development if you ever think your games will be going to other systems, but this is SE, who have to make things hard for themselves for that check

I think this is very bad management and planning from them. They should outsource if they don't have the resources to make port the day the exclusive expires.

Capcom its probably going to give a pre release about Dragons Dogma 2 sales in a few hours or tomorrow.

Can we still expect 3 million in the first days?
Nope, I'd actually say 2M would be quite positive at this point, PC is probably in the 800k to 1.3M ballpark and was always gonna be the main platform.

Nope, I'd actually say 2M would be quite positive at this point, PC is probably in the 800k to 1.3M ballpark and was always gonna be the main platform.
I think 3m after one week is more or less right. We also have Xbox sales as well alongside PS which is the silent seller but still sells close to PC in these games.

Horizon FW (40k) did better than I thought and Horizon ZD did 10,7k this weekend.

Also, what is Playstation's premier zombie game on Steam?
sQrH1K0.png

Didn't the game sell over 8m on PS4/PS5? I think it already recouped its costs.

Steam did not reach a new ccu peak today, guess Randy Pitchford was right.
8.4m but with bundles more or less since release which would skew the profits and sales quite a bit.

We must be at more than $200M in profits because the price has remained stable in addition to the price increase over this generation.

Break-even point for in-house licenses like Horizon only need 5M copies unlike Marvel's Spiderman II which needs 6-7M copies.

I really believe Square needs to be all hands on deck to push Rebirth on PC as soon as possible, even if it means putting it there before XVI.

Releasing before Rebirth is definitely the way to go. Wasting the post-release Rebirth hype to get some crumbles with FFXVI would be a sad sight.

FF7 Remake is holding on for dear life to that #7 spot on the global sellers ranking. It's performing better than expected in the sale. Let's see if it can maintain interest now that it's full price again.

Also, what is Playstation's premier zombie game on Steam?

Competent PC port vs Disaster and Open World vs Linear.
But yeah, Days Gone PC port is doing nice residual revenue considering a sequel is not happening.

FF7 Remake is holding on for dear life to that #7 spot on the global sellers ranking. It's performing better than expected in the sale. Let's see if it can maintain interest now that it's full price again.
It will probably drop but its going to do better i believe.

In the 150#-200# ballpark.

We got confirmation earlier today that DD2 is getting a patch soon, notably for Steam is an improved DLSS (I think they must have had some kind of issue since they did advertise the implementation alongside Nvidia during the marketing cycle) and the option to start a new game. Consoles probably will benefit the most from the new patch as the RT Off option should be able to give a few extra frames even if they say not to expect a big improvement and adding the 30fps cap will help people who don't like uncapped frames. Hopefully frametimes will be adressed soon aswell.

Helldivers 2 really dips when there's no Major Order to complete, peaking at 60k below last Monday. Which shows they really managed to engage the audience with those.

Thankfully they have been quicker, seeing as the current one was finished yesterday at night and tomorrow morning there will be a new one already. Just a day of downtime is really not that bad.

We got confirmation earlier today that DD2 is getting a patch soon, notably for Steam is an improved DLSS (I think they must have had some kind of issue since they did advertise the implementation alongside Nvidia during the marketing cycle) and the option to start a new game. Consoles probably will benefit the most from the new patch as the RT Off option should be able to give a few extra frames even if they say not to expect a big improvement and adding the 30fps cap will help people who don't like uncapped frames. Hopefully frametimes will be adressed soon aswell.

30fps cap really should've been available at launch on console, I really don't know what capcom was thinking. Hopefully the cap on PS5 has good frame pacing, as I really want to play that game but can't justify getting it as it stands.

Top sellers for the week of 19 Mar — 26 March 2024 (Revenue)​

Week 13
#NameDeveloperRelease Date
#1 Counter-Strike 2 Free #1 last weekValve21 August 2012
#2 Dragon's Dogma 2 #3 last weekCAPCOM Co., Ltd.22 March 2024
#3 HELLDIVERS™ 2 #2 last weekArrowhead Game Studios8 February 2024
#4 Steam Deck #4 last week
#5 Horizon Forbidden West™ Complete Edition #59 last weekGuerrilla21 March 2024
#6 PUBG: BATTLEGROUNDS Free #5 last weekKRAFTON, Inc.21 December 2017
#7 Apex Legends™ Free #15 last weekRespawn Entertainment5 November 2020
#8 EA SPORTS FC™ 24 #10 last weekEA Canada & EA Romania29 September 2023
#9 Baldur's Gate 3 #7 last weekLarian Studios3 August 2023
#10 Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six® Siege #6 last weekUbisoft Montreal1 December 2015
#11 Lost Ark Free #63 last weekSmilegate RPG11 February 2022
#12 FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE INTERGRADE #18 last weekSquare Enix17 June 2022
#13 Dead by Daylight #8 last weekBehaviour Interactive Inc.14 June 2016
#14 Stardew Valley #58 last weekConcernedApe26 February 2016
#15 Call of Duty®: Modern Warfare® III #11 last weekSledgehammer Games10 November 2023
#16 Cyberpunk 2077 #9 last weekCD PROJEKT RED10 December 2020
#17 NARAKA: BLADEPOINT Free #42 last week24 Entertainment12 August 2021
#18 Supermarket Simulator #14 last weekNokta Games20 February 2024
#19 Battlefield™ 2042 #45 last weekDICE19 November 2021
#20 ELDEN RING #19 last weekFromSoftware Inc.24 February 2022

This past weekend might be the last one where Palworld exceeds 100k CCU in a very long time, yesterday's peak was 85k, today it's only 80k. Palworld is currently ranked 44th in the Steam best sellers.

Quite a few releases today, so a little roundup.

Palia Day 1 CCU - 11,540
Game is at a Mixed 58% with 1,098 reviews on Steam.
Most of the early reviews come from the beta and/or EGS release experience of older players.

Milennia Day 1 CCU - 8,382
Paradox again on the hotseat with seemingly another underbake title.
Steam rating at a Mixed 46% with 160 reviews, full release game feels like an EA title.

SOUTH PARK: SNOW DAY! Day 1 CCU - 6,684
Some kind of co-op TPS game, receiving a cool Mixed 64% with 244 reviews.

Outpost: Infinity Siege Day 1 CCU - 12,413
This is a kind of FPS/Turret Defense/Base building hybrid but due to a lot of crashing issues, the game is currently sitting at a Mixed 46% with 682 reviews.

So yeah, battle of the mids today.

On January 27 Palworld reached its peak CCU of 2,101,867. Two months later (March 27) Palworld peaked at 74,502, a drop of ~96.45%. I’m not a long-time watcher of the Steam DB charts, but that seems pretty steep to me?

On January 27 Palworld reached its peak CCU of 2,101,867. Two months later (March 27) Palworld peaked at 74,502, a drop of ~96.45%. I’m not a long-time watcher of the Steam DB charts, but that seems pretty steep to me?
It's really, really steep.

One can argue that Palworld isn't really much of a multiplayer game, so it's kinda natural that people have had their fill and are done with it, but you'd think a 96% drop would create some headlines. Then again Multiversus didn't get headlines till it was at 99%.

That being said, a 74k player peak is still really good in terms of raw numbers, I think. As long as it doesn't go further down... Well, we'll see what happens if/when Pocket Pair starts supporting the game long-term. Game definitely blew up too fast.

Back
Top Bottom