• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

The Steam Deck - What kind of market performance do we expect from Valve's portable gaming PC?

Steam Deck does everything better than the Switch except all the things that makes the Switch the popular device it is.

like, sorry but this whole post is extremely funny and very uninformed lol. Children using a Deck as a entry level PC? What? Programming with A B X Y buttons? ???
So you wanted me to type out "just take a dirt cheap wireless keyboard and mouse and done"? I would have thought that we can discuss this without playing semantics.

I don't see the "funny" in my proposal. You're a parent and your child wants a gaming device for the latest games, but you also want it to be an educational tool, something that benefits your child beyond gaming. And cheap laptops won't be good enough for gaming and Switch offers no value beyond gaming. Instead of buying your child 2 devices for more money, you get a Steam Deck, throw in some cheap keyboard and mouse, and that's it.

Also, the argument "duh, Switch has Nintendo-games" is somewhat arrogant when Steam Deck will have, duh, the vastness of the Steam Store.

So you wanted me to type out "just take a dirt cheap wireless keyboard and mouse and done"? I would have thought that we can discuss this without playing semantics.

I don't see the "funny" in my proposal. You're a parent and your child wants a gaming device for the latest games, but you also want it to be an educational tool, something that benefits your child beyond gaming. And cheap laptops won't be good enough for gaming and Switch offers no value beyond gaming. Instead of buying your child 2 devices for more money, you get a Steam Deck, throw in some cheap keyboard and mouse, and that's it.

Also, the argument "duh, Switch has Nintendo-games" is somewhat arrogant when Steam Deck will have, duh, the vastness of the Steam Store.
Why would they buy a steam deck for that when a Tablet or even a Smartphone can do the same thing?

Believing that Steam Deck targets casual users is beyond naive.
It has no retail presence at all and you need to be heavily invested into the Steam ecosystem to know about it in the first place.
Hell it does not even has any onlinestore presence outside of Steam. It is literally a Steam exclusive.

And a lot of Steam users have it for a single game that runs on their shitty laptops/pcs/internet cafes. Not the customer base that is going to put out $400 to play the same game. Just keep using what you have.

Steam Deck is a poweruser accessory and not a ecosystem entry device.

The SteamDeck is more expensive, looks worse, doesn't come with a Dock or detachable controllers, no physical media and will releases 5 years after the OG Switch - you would hope it's a much more powerful device.

It still isn't better in every area even compared to the current Switch, let alone to the Switch successor especially if it's targeting 4k resolutions in TV Mode.

Some people here acting as if kids don't have access to cheap tablets, Laptops or Chromebooks to get whatever computing
needs done.

We had years of people complaining that even the OG Switch is too big and clunky for kids to handle...but suddenly they are gonna handle the even bigger and heavier SteamDeck instead of just continue to use their Switch and Smartphones ?
Based on the technology blurb alone it has better visuals, performance and controls, the main things that make up a video game.

That alone doesn't guarantee success of course but it in the games department having access to most third party games and a selection of first party games from other platforms is a strong selling point. Free online helps. Library preservation is another. It's becoming more and more rare for PC to be completely excluded from a game's list of hardware where your console of choice can be left out in the cold indefinitely courtesy of shenanigans between businessmen.

Let's be real. Like for just one second. What parent buys their kid a Steam Deck? A kid plays Nintendo games or mobile games. If you want your kid to learn, they already have tablet or computers for that. No one in the world is buying a five hundred bucks portable gaming PC for educational purposes, you're making up a market that doesn't exist lol. It is extremely funny because I find it wild you alienated all the strong arguments of the Switch (its hybrid factor, local MP elements) and the reasons it's selling, but somehow think educational purpose is a key market for the Steam Deck? It's bizarro world.

Steam Deck sells to people who already have a strong PC library and want to play it on the go. Core gamers. Not kids lol.

First of all its not got Windows built in. Its Linux. Next no one is going to be using that screen as a main display for anything beyond gaming.

Why pretend the only two options are the 399 lowest priced Steam Desk and a 1000 quid gaming PC? Totally ludicrous.

When you say kids who do you actually mean? Are we talking pre-teens? I can see an audience for mid/late teens but thats a gaming audience, their not buying a Deck for updating spreadsheets.

Believing that Steam Deck targets casual users is beyond naive.

I didn't claim that. Pls don't put words in my mouth.
Let's be real. Like for just one second. What parent buys their kid a Steam Deck? A kid plays Nintendo games or mobile games. If you want your kid to learn, they already have tablet or computers for that. No one in the world is buying a five hundred bucks portable gaming PC for educational purposes, you're making up a market that doesn't exist lol. It is extremely funny because I find it wild you alienated all the strong arguments of the Switch (its hybrid factor, local MP elements) and the reasons it's selling, but somehow think educational purpose is a key market for the Steam Deck? It's bizarro world.

Steam Deck sells to people who already have a strong PC library and want to play it on the go. Core gamers. Not kids lol.
"They already havea tablet or computer for that", no they don't, children aren't coming to the world with tablets plopping out of thin air. And a tablet cannot replace a PC. I tried, it's not fun I can tell you.

250 for a Switch, 200 (minimum) for a laptop vs. Steam Deck that is more capable both for gaming and PC work than either of the other two.

I'm trying to think back to when I got my first PC. It was a, then, state-of-the-art Pentium III 500 Mhz PC. Age of Empires 2 and Diablo 2. If my parents could have paid half the price and I'd have gotten to play those games on a handheld, I'd have been ecstatic.

Just to make sure: I'm not saying this will happen. Because of shipment limitations. But it's something that could be done if Valve chose the right marketing angle.

"They already havea tablet or computer for that", no they don't, children aren't coming to the world with tablets plopping out of thin air. And a tablet cannot replace a PC. I tried, it's not fun I can tell you.

250 for a Switch, 200 (minimum) for a laptop vs. Steam Deck that is more capable both for gaming and PC work than either of the other two.

I'm trying to think back to when I got my first PC. It was a, then, state-of-the-art Pentium III 500 Mhz PC. Age of Empires 2 and Diablo 2. If my parents could have paid half the price and I'd have gotten to play those games on a handheld, I'd have been ecstatic.

Just to make sure: I'm not saying this will happen. Because of shipment limitations. But it's something that could be done if Valve chose the right marketing angle.

I'll be blunt but you are simply saying nonsense, no parents think like you do. Most households already have tablets or computers if they want their children to learn programming. No one is buying a Steam Deck for that. It's not made for that, not practical for that purpose, it's just absurd. It's not even because of shipment limitations of marketing, it just makes absolutely zero sense. I'm dumbfounded you are still pushing this argument.

You can buy a cheap tablet and a USB/Bluetooth keyboard for essentially nothing by the way, like sub-100$.

Based on the technology blurb alone it has better visuals, performance and controls, the main things that make up a video game.

That alone doesn't guarantee success of course but it in the games department having access to most third party games and a selection of first party games from other platforms is a strong selling point. Free online helps. Library preservation is another. It's becoming more and more rare for PC to be completely excluded from a game's list of hardware where your console of choice can be left out in the cold indefinitely courtesy of shenanigans between businessmen.
As said before its more expensive, releasing 5 years later and more power is needed to run modern PC games compared to games designed and optimized for a console.

So yeah the SoC is more powerful but isn't that a given ? The next Switch is also gonna be more powerful than the current Switch.

Also again, I'm not doubting that the Deck is gonna be a success it's just that we have diffrent definitions of success. Valve doesnt need to reach console like sales for the device to be a success.

As said before its more expensive, releasing 5 years later and more power is needed to run modern PC games compared to games designed and optimized for a console.

So yeah the SoC is more powerful but isn't that a given ? The next Switch is also gonna be more powerful than the current Switch.

Also again, I'm not doubting that the Deck is gonna be a success it's just that we have diffrent definitions of success. Valve doesnt need to reach console like sales for the device to be a success.
But I'm sure they would like to. Before PlayStation Walkmans were the Sony devices of choice.

If they ship as many as they make they could ramp up production to meet demand. They are really careful not to pitch it as a sea change because of their experience with Steam Machines and the disaster playing out in the Google camp with Stadia but much like how Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft's past have the occasional failure when they make a good product consumers and creators alike sit up and take notice if a product makes sense.

Buying a Wii U or Vita doomed you to a limited library. Nintendo took the rejection as a wake up call and double-downed. Sony took the rejection as a dirge and gave up.

Valve's approach so far more resembles Nintendo's single-minded stubbornness to learn fron their mistakes and refine their ideas until they work.

no parents think like you do.
Why would they, when a product like the Steam Deck hasn't existed until now?

Some of you are really underselling the Steam Deck's innovation factor. It being more powerful than Switch is only one of them.

The SoC in the steam deck isn't as powerful as you think it is. It's a $300 laptop chip. And that won't be sold at a lost unlike the SD. Anyone who needs flexibility has more and better options than the SD can provide at the same cost

Why would they, when a product like the Steam Deck hasn't existed until now?

Some of you are really underselling the Steam Deck's innovation factor. It being more powerful than Switch is only one of them.
they do exist. I've named several in this thread already!

The SteamDeck is more expensive, looks worse, doesn't come with a Dock or detachable controllers, no physical media and will releases 5 years after the OG Switch - you would hope it's a much more powerful device.

It still isn't better in every area even compared to the current Switch, let alone to the Switch successor especially if it's targeting 4k resolutions in TV Mode.

Some people here acting as if kids don't have access to cheap tablets, Laptops or Chromebooks to get whatever computing
needs done.

We had years of people complaining that even the OG Switch is too big and clunky for kids to handle...but suddenly they are gonna handle the even bigger and heavier SteamDeck instead of just continue to use their Switch and Smartphones ?
The problems with the Switch do not exist with Steam Deck: a bigger and more expensive machine, without hybrid features straight from the box? I couldn't agree more

"120 million userbase" is a buzzword that totally ignores that the vast majority of this number plays low-end games on low-end computers and are not interested in expensive devices to play PC games on the go. Emulation of modern platform is a non-factor that is only discussed in enthusiast circles, practically nobody plays Switch games on emulators in the real world.

Also tens of millions of those users exist in countries where Valve has zero plans to ship even a single unit within the next several years at a minimum

I am not sure if some are making fun or have really no clue about the market situation.

Parents buy steam deck for their kids for educational purposes? 120mio Steam users will buy Deck? Only the sky is the limit? What kind of madness is this.

Valve would be lucky if Deck sells 2+ mio in the next 4 years. Even without shortages. Steam Deck is a big, expensive and relatively clunky device for gaming enthusiast that want their steam library "on the go". No one outside of this niche has interest.

I am not sure if some are making fun or have really no clue about the market situation.

Parents buy steam deck for their kids for educational purposes? 120mio Steam users will buy Deck? Only the sky is the limit? What kind of madness is this.

Valve would be lucky if Deck sells 2+ mio in the next 4 years. Even without shortages. Steam Deck is a big, expensive and relatively clunky device for gaming enthusiast that want their steam library "on the go". No one outside of this niche has interest.
So if at the end of 2022, Valve reports that they sold 100% of their shipments, will you go on to claim "and they couldn't have sold more even if they shipped more§?

:/

I disagree wholeheartedly. Switch is also big, clunky and expensive, also has worst controls, is less comfortable and despite Nintendo first party excellence has an objectively weaker library in terms or quality and quantity but the device still sells like hotcakes.

Steam Deck is currently in a state where Valve can sell every one of them they make and that is a great spot to be in.

I disagree wholeheartedly. Switch is also big, clunky and expensive, also has worst controls, is less comfortable and despite Nintendo first party excellence has an objectively weaker library in terms or quality and quantity but the device still sells like hotcakes.

Steam Deck is currently in a state where Valve can sell every one of them they make and that is a great spot to be in.
I just looked up a size comparison and compared to Steam Deck the Switch looks tiny. And you can't say Steam has a objectively higher quality library.

Valve can sell as many Steam Decks as they can make.. as long as they don't make too many.
Obviously there is demand and currently they can't supply enough for everyone.
We have no idea how many orders there are tho. Maybe they have 300k customers but can only produce 100k Steam Decks at launch.

As far as i know we know neither how many people ordered nor how many Decks they produce at launch.

I just looked up a size comparison and compared to Steam Deck the Switch looks tiny. And you can't say Steam has a objectively higher quality library.

The Steam Deck is the size of a Switch with those Pro-attachments. And I will never accept people saying it looks ugly when it looks really nice. Any other handheld looks worse. Have people seen the Aya Neo? Not to forget that the Switch is extremely un-ergonomic, while the Steam Deck not only looks ergonomic, we know it is from hands-on reports.

As for the quality of the software library: I'm a Nintendo-fan. As long as Nintendo keeps making good Zelda-games and Xeno-games, I will buy their hardware. But in a comparison of the Switch' library versus EVERYTHING that released on PC since 2003, is is a fair claim to make that Steam has objectively a higher quality library. This isn't some surprise, either, because again: Several generations of software versus the Switch software from the past 4-5 years. If you want to make a caveat like "well, someone who really likes Pokemon might disagree", then i don't know who'd be the fanboy in that exchange. No need to be upset over a reasonable truth.

It's monstrous yes. But so is Switch.
You really cannot use the same word for both Steam's and Switch' library.

Last edited:

Valve can sell as many Steam Decks as they can make.. as long as they don't make too many.
Obviously there is demand and currently they can't supply enough for everyone.
We have no idea how many orders there are tho. Maybe they have 300k customers but can only produce 100k Steam Decks at launch.

As far as i know we know neither how many people ordered nor how many Decks they produce at launch.
It's monstrous yes. But so is Switch.

If quality is measures in graphics, online functionality, customization, control options and genre diversity Switch can't compete.

We don't know the numbers and at a glance Valve can't compete at scale but the night is young and full of potential. :p

Why do people always feels the need to downplay the success and market position of the Switch whenever they come across more down to earth SteamDeck expectations/predictions ? Don't quite understand it. You aren't winning many arguments around here if it all based on 'but Nintendo can do it and the Deck is better in every way'.

Reminds me of Zune owners trying to convince Apple fans that they made the wrong choice despite the latter happy with their iPods lol.

I voted 1-5m mostly cause that’s imo their logistical capabilities for this current model , or if more optimistically potentially 10m. long term idk.

But more so just continually got to say , on both sides of opinions , not sure why the market viability and success of this product needs to involve measuring it up to and relating it to the switch . A comparison that imo is never gonna be favorable to it and is always just gonna get pushback, in some cases rightfully, when it feels like some of it is reducing the success of the switch down to “it didn’t have a competitor”.

I think the steam deck has moderate appeal, and can potentially make a niche segment of tech (handheld pcs) more popular and if it does it will or shouldn’t have anything to do with folks trying to find a better switch or what have you .

If quality is measures in graphics, online functionality, customization, control options and genre diversity Switch can't compete.
The quality of a game is very subjective. Most of these points either don't matter to me or are only important if compared to a similar product.
With these the new CoD should be of higher quality than BotW in pretty much every aspect but that's not what Reviews, User Scores, WoM etc tell us.

If BotW2 has a 720p version and a 4k succ version but everything else is the same nobody will argue that the 720p version has a higher quality.
If you play an online game online functionality should be fast and reliable but it's not important for most games.

What makes games unique and defines them is interaction. IIRC Sid Meier said something like "a good game is a series of interesting choices".
I don't think it's possible to subjectively objectively measure the quality of a game but IMO that sentence is as close as we can get (btw: yes, if something is an "interesting choice" is objective).

And to correct a possible misunderstanding:
I'm not arguing that the Switch has the better library or that Steam games are bad (I'm not even sure if CoD is on Steam) or that the Steam Deck will not be a success. I just don't like these "subjective" "objectively" arguments.

Personally i've been using Steam for about eight years, played Nintendo games since i got a GBC in the Pokémon edition, got a PS5 a few months ago and very recently i even subscribed to Game Pass for PC.
The Steam Deck looks very interesting and if my PC was a couple years older i might even consider buying it (and getting a laptop for non-gaming-stuff).

I'm still on the lower end of the sales expectations and think the Switch is a much more desirable product.

EDIT: halfway through the post i wrote subjectively but meant objectively.

Last edited:
that's not what Reviews, User Scores, WoM etc tell us.
Which are all subjective...

I agree design is the most important part of the equation and there are no technical limitations hurting Switch on that front.

But the aspects that can be compared like inputs, presentation, functionality, etc may not be important to you but they can be measured objectively.

I honestly think 5.9M would be doable and a massive success. I don’t foresee many hit exclusives but I can see very dedicated gamers getting one.

I know chip shortage will be a limiting reason, but I wonder how much artificial shortage will affect the Deck. Valve might order so many wafers worth of APUs, but once they order more, how will they be situation in the line? AMD is seeing unprecedented demand for Ryzens and Threadrippers. not to mention Xbox and Playstation chips, and Radeons. all on the same node

Which are all subjective...
yes, i agree. it's not possible to objectively measure the quality of a game. (btw in my answer i've written subjectively instead of objectively twice 🤦‍♂️
But the aspects that can be compared like inputs, presentation, functionality, etc may not be important to you but they can be measured objectively.
But how do you objectively measure these aspects? Is an offline Single Player game worse than the same game with online Matchmaking? Do games get better if you can pet the dog?

In the MC thread someone said Pokémon games need voice acting but i don't think adding VA would make the games better.
It was only "missing" in SwSh because the game acted like it had VA which made two cutscenes very awkward.
Sometimes this feature or this "enhanced" presentation can make the game worse. I don't want to hear every NPC in Yakuza talk but it feels weird to cut them off after reading the text.

The Steam Deck can be connected to a dock just like the Switch. Yes you can connect it to your TV or a monitor, with its HDMI port or Display port. And yes with emulation you can play everything on it.
So you are deflecting the question The dock go with the Steam Deck? You have an option, without additional purchase make Steam deck hybrid and stationary? This is a problem, the Steam deck is a portable primary ( a big one, bigger than Game Gear, almost 2x large than Switch, and Switch go hammered because of its size), and with an optional purchase, you can make him a hybrid and stationary console. This is a big problem because accessories it´s a barrier entry for a product pretend will be popular ( 20+ million) with a multitude of different consumers. The initial price for Steam deck rise, if you need to simulate hybrid formula: two-controller and one deck, additional 100-150 bucks on the price( the official dock will be 100). Why do you need to simulate this? Because, beyond the good games, the strong size of Switch success is the hybrid form factor it´s fit in your life of different consumers. Some play more on portable mode, some play more in stationary mode, and have some play in hybrid mode. The controllers are a more easy way, but the dock, 100 bucks entry level it´s the same entry-level Balance Board and Kinect. How much sell this accessory in a successful console? 20 million? And the base is much bigger ( Wii have 101M and Xbox 87M), and with generic docks, with a price 50-60 bucks or less you have the same problem, all these accessories need a separate purchase.

Why do people always feels the need to downplay the success and market position of the Switch whenever they come across more down to earth SteamDeck expectations/predictions ? Don't quite understand it. You aren't winning many arguments around here if it all based on 'but Nintendo can do it and the Deck is better in every way'.

Reminds me of Zune owners trying to convince Apple fans that they made the wrong choice despite the latter happy with their iPods lol.
I find that an incredibly dishonest posting when you specifically always appear to defend Nintendo whenever someone makes a calm statement that the Steam Deck is better than the Switch. Why is that such an outlandish, unacceptable pov for you? The Steam Deck launches in 2022, the Switch launched in 2017. Wouldn't it be embarrassing if the Steam Deck wasn't better in most areas?

I remember the first week after the Steam Deck's reveal over at the other place and some people like Oregano (not attacking him, just being transparent here) had a fullblown crusade going on against Steam Deck, posting negative stuff at any given opportunity. And he wasn't alone in that.

You're really warping reality when you imply that Steam Deck-fans are the bad ones that "shit" on the Switch. Most Steam Deck-fans simply point out facts or, if that upsets you, majority opinions. These threads would be a lot easier to discuss if Nintendo-fans (and I'm one, too) didn't feel the need to react with a Pavlovian reflex any time some says the Steam Deck is "better". It's a hardware releasing 5-6 years in the Switch' future, it's not something outlandish.

Sorry for the above, but I've seen you do postings like that so many times, it's really hard to bear silently. No offense intended, just let's not always go through the same cycle.

I find that an incredibly dishonest posting when you specifically always appear to defend Nintendo whenever someone makes a calm statement that the Steam Deck is better than the Switch. Why is that such an outlandish, unacceptable pov for you? The Steam Deck launches in 2022, the Switch launched in 2017. Wouldn't it be embarrassing if the Steam Deck wasn't better in most areas?

I remember the first week after the Steam Deck's reveal over at the other place and some people like Oregano (not attacking him, just being transparent here) had a fullblown crusade going on against Steam Deck, posting negative stuff at any given opportunity. And he wasn't alone in that.

You're really warping reality when you imply that Steam Deck-fans are the bad ones that "shit" on the Switch. Most Steam Deck-fans simply point out facts or, if that upsets you, majority opinions. These threads would be a lot easier to discuss if Nintendo-fans (and I'm one, too) didn't feel the need to react with a Pavlovian reflex any time some says the Steam Deck is "better". It's a hardware releasing 5-6 years in the Switch' future, it's not something outlandish.

Sorry for the above, but I've seen you do postings like that so many times, it's really hard to bear silently. No offense intended, just let's not always go through the same cycle.

I think you may have me mistaken for someone else?

As far as I remember the most negative thing I ever posted about it was the fact that's it absolutely gargantuan.

First off, you seem to think that me or anyone here needs to defends Nintendo or the Switch when it comes to sales - that couldnt be further from the truth, their numbers, as in proven market reception speak for themselves and the success of the device. The fact that you even think that referring to the status quo or current markt situation as defending says a lot.

How and where have i defended Nintendo about the hardware power/SoCclaim ? The point that can be made, since we are talking about sales is how a better SoC or better graphics will reflect on actual sales and market performance od a device since this what this thread is about. Let alone the statement that "the SteamDeck is better than the Switch" is just flat out wrong, this isnt a black and white situation and there are many areas that can be compared an no - the SteamDeck isnt the better choice in every area, especially when it comes to what actually matters to the broad audience. Yet some of you keep ignoring any kind of the arguments while just repeating the general SD is better, without actually explaining why or how this matters in terms of sales when comparing it to Switch. Do we really need to list all more powerful Nintendo portable competitors of the past to get the point across ?

If you wanna keep going down this route please back up the claims you made. Stating the SD has a more powerful SoC and is able to to perform better, isnt the same as product X is better than product Y, especially when talking about the overall market and not just the most hardcore players that are willing to spent this amount of money.

Whats the point of bringing this kind of stuff up nor do i see how is this relevant to the thread ?
You seem convinced that everyone that isnt subscribing to the highest SD expectations is on some kind of hate train against the Deck which doesnt even make sense. The SD could be literally the best system ever made, what its gonna sell in the first couple years will still be limited by a lot of factors - that have been listed by few users in this thread.

We dont even know how many systems Valve is gonna be able to ship in the first year, its all about educated guesses and the current situation isnt doing them any favors with everyone else struggling to get systems into customer hands.
Again you are really just reading what you want to read and missing the actual points that are being made. No one is arguing about the SD being more powerful or having a more modern SoC - like can you quote a single user that argued this point in favor of the Switch ? But that just one factor and my previous statement was about users like you going with very broad statement and claiming product X is just straight up better than Y, when this isnt the case. I can make a list of 10 different type of customers that wouldnt agree with this statement for multiple reasons.

I wanna be fair and maybe i have missed some thing so ill give you the opportunity to quote/posts things i said about the SteamDeck and its market viability in this thread that are untrue or false to "defend" Nintendo. Because im really trying to understand where this is coming from.

If i was off on stuff im ready to apologize but i dont see what you are referring to let alone what would justify these hostile responses.
This thread isnt even about the Switch and in a perfect world most of the discussions could be held without even adressing the Switch because i think that most of the stuff that is gonna limit the sales/shipments or appeal of the SD doesnt have much to do with Switch at all.

Also PlayTracker estimates ~700k Steam Deck orders

Don't how reliable their estimates are, I assume there's a big margin of error.
This somewhat in line with my expectations for year 1 - if they can ship/sell 1m that would already quite the success. Its gonna be interesting what and how much they can get from AMD and co. for the following years.

This somewhat in line with my expectations for year 1 - if they can ship/sell 1m that would already quite the success. Its gonna be interesting what and how much they can get from AMD and co. for the following years.
curiously, Van Gogh will be replaced next year with a similar APU. question will be, will Valve move to that or will they stick to Van Gogh

Regarding the idea that it can penetrate the mass market, not only you need to get the product to physical stores like Best Buy and Walmart, you need to spend plenty on advertising. Especially for games "coming" to the device. When is the last time an exclusive PC game got a ad campaign beyond gaming magazines and the internet?

The main selling point for the Switch is its unique software, created specifically for the platform and the hybrid use case by Nintendo.
The Steam Deck is an additional option for PC gamers. There's no exclusive software; it's only interesting to people who want to play PC games on a handheld. It's no shame for it to sell less units than the Switch, even if it's technically superior (I don't know if it is), simply because the technical options of the device aren't the reason for why people are buying (or not buying) a Steam Deck or a Switch. Just like the Xbox One X is more powerful than the Xbox One, or the PS4 Pro vs the base PS4, or the DSi XL with its bigger screen vs any other DS model, it's an option that provides a specific use case that some may find appealing and some may not. For someone with big hands or bad eyes, the DSi XL or 3DS XL may be a no-brainer, and they may find it ridiculous why people would still buy a smaller system when the XL model is on the market, but the truth is that not everybody feels the same way. It's fine to just accept that there's different options. You don't need to be in the majority group with everything. And the Steam Deck's existence is still justified, even if it only sells a million units lifetime.

I think the main disconnection here is that some people are treating SD as if it was an entire platform.

If Nintendo made a TV-only Switch with a pro controller and a PS4 Pro like graphic upgrade (and no exclusive games), I would also not think it would sell tens of millions. Because it's just another SKU within a platform which attended a lot of the demand for it.

It's the same thing for the Deck. The PC platform is on par with the Switch platform. Deck is just another PC sku, like the Lite is another Switch sku.

But the Lite had 1, and now 2, other skus to compete with, while the Deck has hundred of desktops and notebooks to compete with and, if the form factor gets enough traction, there will be more handheld competition beyond the currently outclassed small sellers like GPD and Aya Neo. And since tech evolve fast, it will take just a couple years for more powerful handhelds to appear.

And that's before accounting how far ahead Nintendo is in terms of being able to manufacture, distribute and market hardware on a global level, due to 30+ years of experience, business relationships and brand awareness.

So if at the end of 2022, Valve reports that they sold 100% of their shipments, will you go on to claim "and they couldn't have sold more even if they shipped more§?

:/
Depends on how high their shipments. If they ship 50.000 they could have definitely sold a lot more.

I didn't expect this thread to become a hot topic but I guess i might as well give my take here as welll while others are at it as well...

First off, I do not think this device is not only aimed at but also will be quite useful for casuals outside the gaming hemisphere cause it doesn't have windows but only has a linux based STEAM Operating System tailored solely for GAMING so, YES, its made for users who game on PC already OR those who are looking to get into PC gaming via a low entry point. As for the Switch comparisons, I think its no comparison at all. One is and will remain a niche product and the other is made for all sorts of gaming audiences that prefer handheld gaming, Casuals, Hardcore all alike. So, while it is more powerful and VERY close in price to the NEW OLED Switch model, there are many other big factors which dismiss the Steam Deck as a competitor to the Switch outside of it retaining PC users who want to play on the Switch cause they want a handheld experience.

How would Valve not sell 100% of their shipments, they are selling directly to people who buy them on Steam...?

yes, i agree. it's not possible to objectively measure the quality of a game. (btw in my answer i've written subjectively instead of objectively twice 🤦‍♂️

But how do you objectively measure these aspects? Is an offline Single Player game worse than the same game with online Matchmaking? Do games get better if you can pet the dog?

In the MC thread someone said Pokémon games need voice acting but i don't think adding VA would make the games better.
It was only "missing" in SwSh because the game acted like it had VA which made two cutscenes very awkward.
Sometimes this feature or this "enhanced" presentation can make the game worse. I don't want to hear every NPC in Yakuza talk but it feels weird to cut them off after reading the text.
I understood what you meant, typos happen.

Image quality is measured in pixels and the amount of artifacts left presented to the player. Functionality means the things you can and cannot do so it's pretty binary. Same with inputs.

Regarding the idea that it can penetrate the mass market, not only you need to get the product to physical stores like Best Buy and Walmart, you need to spend plenty on advertising. Especially for games "coming" to the device. When is the last time an exclusive PC game got a ad campaign beyond gaming magazines and the internet?
This is just silly. Didn't stop the PC versions of Monster Hunter World from outselling the Xbox version.

The key point is that Steam Deck is a great value proposition if you already have a large Steam library, as it means a person gets a portable device they already own games for. And while I'm sure there's plenty of people for whom this description fits, if it doesn't, Steam Deck's unique value prop downgrades to a handheld device that can play AAA PC games (though the amount of them is still up in the air until we see compatibility), and while certainly appealing, it's already up against Nintendo's own lineup and that advantage could disappear with a newer better Switch on the horizon. In other words, while it has appeal to those already heavily invested in Steam, for those that aren't, its window to make an appeal to choose it over other options is a little too small for it to have lasting appeal.

Great OP. Based on all the factors you listed I believe up to 5million would be my prediction. I still don’t believe the audience steam is going after is viable enough to sell tens of millions. Then again I feel they just want a good enough audience size that will keep buying and playing on steam, instead of losing some small sales to people who want to play portably.

First off, you seem to think that me or anyone here needs to defends Nintendo or the Switch when it comes to sales - that couldnt be further from the truth, their numbers, as in proven market reception speak for themselves and the success of the device. The fact that you even think that referring to the status quo or current markt situation as defending says a lot.

How and where have i defended Nintendo about the hardware power/SoCclaim ? The point that can be made, since we are talking about sales is how a better SoC or better graphics will reflect on actual sales and market performance od a device since this what this thread is about. Let alone the statement that "the SteamDeck is better than the Switch" is just flat out wrong, this isnt a black and white situation and there are many areas that can be compared an no - the SteamDeck isnt the better choice in every area, especially when it comes to what actually matters to the broad audience. Yet some of you keep ignoring any kind of the arguments while just repeating the general SD is better, without actually explaining why or how this matters in terms of sales when comparing it to Switch. Do we really need to list all more powerful Nintendo portable competitors of the past to get the point across ?

If you wanna keep going down this route please back up the claims you made. Stating the SD has a more powerful SoC and is able to to perform better, isnt the same as product X is better than product Y, especially when talking about the overall market and not just the most hardcore players that are willing to spent this amount of money.

Whats the point of bringing this kind of stuff up nor do i see how is this relevant to the thread ?
You seem convinced that everyone that isnt subscribing to the highest SD expectations is on some kind of hate train against the Deck which doesnt even make sense. The SD could be literally the best system ever made, what its gonna sell in the first couple years will still be limited by a lot of factors - that have been listed by few users in this thread.

We dont even know how many systems Valve is gonna be able to ship in the first year, its all about educated guesses and the current situation isnt doing them any favors with everyone else struggling to get systems into customer hands.

Again you are really just reading what you want to read and missing the actual points that are being made. No one is arguing about the SD being more powerful or having a more modern SoC - like can you quote a single user that argued this point in favor of the Switch ? But that just one factor and my previous statement was about users like you going with very broad statement and claiming product X is just straight up better than Y, when this isnt the case. I can make a list of 10 different type of customers that wouldnt agree with this statement for multiple reasons.

I wanna be fair and maybe i have missed some thing so ill give you the opportunity to quote/posts things i said about the SteamDeck and its market viability in this thread that are untrue or false to "defend" Nintendo. Because im really trying to understand where this is coming from.

If i was off on stuff im ready to apologize but i dont see what you are referring to let alone what would justify these hostile responses.
This thread isnt even about the Switch and in a perfect world most of the discussions could be held without even adressing the Switch because i think that most of the stuff that is gonna limit the sales/shipments or appeal of the SD doesnt have much to do with Switch at all.
You keep stating that it's about sales talk, but then go back to defending the Switch on a hardware/feature level, repeating that somehow Steam Deck-fans are using the SoC alone for their "Steam Deck is better" claims, which couldn't be further from the truth. Your entire posting reads like it was written by 2 different people, to be quite honest, one person that indeed wants to have a level-headed debate about sales, but then another person that can't help but return to "but ACTUALLY Steam Deck is NOT better!!1". Like this:

But that just one factor and my previous statement was about users like you going with very broad statement and claiming product X is just straight up better than Y, when this isnt the case
That's just not true, Steam Deck-fans have brought up many points to say how the Steam Deck is better than the Switch, and graphics are only one of many. I myself brought up many of these points myself. I'm afraid it won't lead anywhere productive, because it was dismissed in the past already, but for sincerity's sake I'll list those points again:

- obviously, stronger hardware that plays all games on the market
- more comfortable to hold/better ergonomy as per hands-on reports
- about equal battery life
- barely more expensive
- optional dock for docked/undock-switching
- no detachble joycons, but supports pretty much any controller
- much bigger, much cheaper games library
- no Nintendo-games, but everything else, even Sony 1st-party games going forward
- customization features
- party-chat, messaging, Netflix, folders, etc, all the things people have been wishing for for Switch since 2017
- multimedia-capability aka it can be both for gaming, but also for productive work
- perfect emulation device
- extreme hybrid versatility: handheld play, docked play, laptop style play, 2nd screen play
- analog shoulder buttons
- additional input elements (back triggers, touchpads, dynamic swith to gyro)
- free online play
- the freedom of choice of a PC
- being produced by a notable, reliable global company that has a great standing with its customers (so at least equal with Nintendo here)

Those are the points that come to my mind. Based on that list, I feel confident that it's fair to say: The Steam Deck is better than the Switch. Of course, there are special cases where some only cares about Mario Kart and thus will prefer the Switch and I'm not saying that the Switch isn't still a fun system. But that's a personal decision then. The list I compiled is objective. It'd be unfair to dismiss "the Steam Deck is better" based only on subjective feelings. If that were an acceptable argument, then no product in the history of products would ever be allowed to called "better than X", because you'd always find some special person with a special taste. I'm sure someone out there enjoyed Superman 64 ;>

I hope you can acknowledge that I gave my best attempt to display why the Steam Deck is better beyond "SoC". And again, this is not some slight against the Switch. It's a 2017 device vs a 2022-device. It's expected. It will change again once the Switch 2 is revealed (although tbh I don't expect it to keep up feature-wise with Steam Deck, not that it needs to). Saying "Steam Deck is better than Switch" is not some console warrior-drivel, it's a calm observation made to express that the Steam Deck is a good, quality, desireable product. And from there, sales disussion can proceed. If we cannot even agree that the Steam Deck is a better product hardware/feature-wise, then sales debate becomes moot, because then nobody would have any reason to believe the Steam Deck to sell at all. After all, if you want to sell next to Nintendo, you need to put in the effort to even have a chance, right?

It is absolutely fair when people make low sales forecasts for the Steam Deck and there's plenty of good reasons to cite for that. But to question the quality of the product itself just has no basis in reality at this point, unless we later learn that there are some severe issues. I hope we can get past the mutual accusations and focus on the sales part, not on whether or not the product is of better quality. Is it of better desirability? That's the interesting question.

PS: In case any of this came off as aggressive or offensive, I want to make clear that was not my intention and I appreciate most of your postings, cw_sasuke. After all, I've been reading yours for years, too, on the old place. :)

Last edited:
You keep stating that it's about sales talk, but then go back to defending the Switch on a hardware/feature level, repeating that somehow Steam Deck-fans are using the SoC alone for their "Steam Deck is better" claims, which couldn't be further from the truth. Your entire posting reads like it was written by 2 different people, to be quite honest, one person that indeed wants to have a level-headed debate about sales, but then another person that can't help but return to "but ACTUALLY Steam Deck is NOT better!!1". Like this:

That's just not true, Steam Deck-fans have brought up many points to say how the Steam Deck is better than the Switch, and graphics are only one of many. I myself brought up many of these points myself. I'm afraid it won't lead anywhere productive, because it was dismissed in the past already, but for sincerity's sake I'll list those points again:

- obviously, stronger hardware that plays all games on the market
- more comfortable to hold/better ergonomy as per hands-on reports
- about equal battery life
- barely more expensive
- optional dock for docked/undock-switching
- no detachble joycons, but supports pretty much any controller
- much bigger, much cheaper games library
- no Nintendo-games, but everything else, even Sony 1st-party games going forward
- customization features
- party-chat, messaging, Netflix, folders, etc, all the things people have been wishing for for Switch since 2017
- multimedia-capability aka it can be both for gaming, but also for productive work
- perfect emulation device
- extreme hybrid versatility: handheld play, docked play, laptop style play, 2nd screen play
- analog shoulder buttons
- additional input elements (back triggers, touchpads, dynamic swith to gyro)
- free online play
- the freedom of choice of a PC
- being produced by a notable, reliable global company that has a great standing with its customers (so at least equal with Nintendo here)

Those are the points that come to my mind. Based on that list, I feel confident that it's fair to say: The Steam Deck is better than the Switch. Of course, there are special cases where some only cares about Mario Kart and thus will prefer the Switch and I'm not saying that the Switch isn't still a fun system. But that's a personal decision then. The list I compiled is objective. It'd be unfair to dismiss "the Steam Deck is better" based only on subjective feelings. If that were an acceptable argument, then no product in the history of products would ever be allowed to called "better than X", because you'd always find some special person with a special taste. I'm sure someone out there enjoyed Superman 64 ;>

I hope you can acknowledge that I gave my best attempt to display why the Steam Deck is better beyond "SoC". And again, this is not some slight against the Switch. It's a 2017 device vs a 2022-device. It's expected. It will change again once the Switch 2 is revealed (although tbh I don't expect it to keep up feature-wise with Steam Deck, not that it needs to). Saying "Steam Deck is better than Switch" is not some console warrior-drivel, it's a calm observation made to express that the Steam Deck is a good, quality, desireable product. And from there, sales disussion can proceed. If we cannot even agree that the Steam Deck is a better product hardware/feature-wise, then sales debate becomes moot, because then nobody would have any reason to believe the Steam Deck to sell at all. After all, if you want to sell next to Nintendo, you need to put in the effort to even have a chance, right?

It is absolutely fair when people make low sales forecasts for the Steam Deck and there's plenty of good reasons to cite for that. But to question the quality of the product itself just has no basis in reality at this point, unless we later learn that there are some severe issues. I hope we can get past the mutual accusations and focus on the sales part, not on whether or not the product is of better quality. Is it of better desirability? That's the interesting question.

PS: In case any of this came off as aggressive or offensive, I want to make clear that was not my intention and I appreciate most of your postings, cw_sasuke. After all, I've been reading yours for years, too, on the old place. :)
I dont think we are gonna agree on this then, because the statement that X is a better product is biased and off base in this case. Thats like telling a Mac user that your Windows PC is the better product because of *insert-reasons* here. One is a console and one is a PC - they are targeting somewhat different users and focus on different things. I could make similar claims for Android devices again iPhones/iPads, thats just not how it works. A product just being better than another is a very old and traditional view of things and not really how most modern systems are positioned on the market.

The Switch itself isnt a better product in every way compared to it predecessors like the Wii,3DS and WiiU. You cant win everywhere and be the best device for everyone, its naive to think that this would actually be the case.

How are you gonna tell a kid that wants to play Luigis Mansion 3 and Animal Crossing with his sibling that the SteamDeck is the better product for him ? You list a bunch of things that matter to you ( to me as well to be perfectly fair) and just apply them to every customer out there.

The discussion is weird since you seem to be trying to sell me on the Deck or convince me of it benefits when im well aware of them, otherwise i wouldnt be getting one in February. Im just able to differentiate between the stuff i care about and how it applies to the overall market. Based on what you are saying every Gaming PC or Laptop would be outselling the most popular consoles of said times, when this couldnt be further from the true.

I had written down a list of things where the Switch obv. will continue to look better for a large part of the audience but there is no point in posting it because this really shouldnt be SD vs. Switch thread and the numbers speak for themselves. If people are interested in continuing that path and pit these plattforms against each others, good for them but once we get more/actual sales data people will realize that the system really should have been compared to other portable PC systems.

Oregano just posted a somewhat ballpark indication of of preorders/sales so far for the Deck - so they are at less than a million, right now, who knows how many will drop their reservation when its actually time to pay up, yet backordered already until late next year. This already tells us what kind of numbers Valve/AMD are expecting or able to deliver. So why make everything about the Switch in relation to the Deck, when its the least of its problems issues compared to actually being able to satisfy demand and establish the plattform first ? What Switch sells this Holiday season would be an amazing lifetime result for the SteamDeck.

Dont think the whole back and forth is really helpful, so lets just agree to disagree on this one - we can still make cases for other are comparison point or performance evaluation of the SD. Its an exciting device and the more powerful SoC is obv. one mayor selling point for it, so i get why its at the forefront of many comparison with the Switch. But we are long ways off for Valve to be able to proof how much of a selling point with the current level of expected shipments. They are trying to establish a new hardware plattforms, not going toe to toe against one of the best selling consoles ever (for now).

“Better” has preference as a big part of its assessment, but also experience. Aside from a few hands ons, I don’t think very many people have the prerequisites to claim Deck is better, beyond looking at the specs on paper. It very well could be a well built product, but it also might not be. Let’s wait till someone actually has one.

I dont think we are gonna agree on this then, because the statement that X is a better product is biased and off base in this case. Thats like telling a Mac user that your Windows PC is the better product because of *insert-reasons* here. One is a console and one is a PC - they are targeting somewhat different users and focus on different things. I could make similar claims for Android devices again iPhones/iPads, thats just not how it works. A product just being better than another is a very old and traditional view of things and not really how most modern systems are positioned on the market.

The Switch itself isnt a better product in every way compared to it predecessors like the Wii,3DS and WiiU. You cant win everywhere and be the best device for everyone, its naive to think that this would actually be the case.

How are you gonna tell a kid that wants to play Luigis Mansion 3 and Animal Crossing with his sibling that the SteamDeck is the better product for him ? You list a bunch of things that matter to you ( to me as well to be perfectly fair) and just apply them to every customer out there.

The discussion is weird since you seem to be trying to sell me on the Deck or convince me of it benefits when im well aware of them, otherwise i wouldnt be getting one in February. Im just able to differentiate between the stuff i care about and how it applies to the overall market. Based on what you are saying every Gaming PC or Laptop would be outselling the most popular consoles of said times, when this couldnt be further from the true.

I had written down a list of things where the Switch obv. will continue to look better for a large part of the audience but there is no point in posting it because this really shouldnt be SD vs. Switch thread and the numbers speak for themselves. If people are interested in continuing that path and pit these plattforms against each others, good for them but once we get more/actual sales data people will realize that the system really should have been compared to other portable PC systems.

Oregano just posted a somewhat ballpark indication of of preorders/sales so far for the Deck - so they are at less than a million, right now, who knows how many will drop their reservation when its actually time to pay up, yet backordered already until late next year. This already tells us what kind of numbers Valve/AMD are expecting or able to deliver. So why make everything about the Switch in relation to the Deck, when its the least of its problems issues compared to actually being able to satisfy demand and establish the plattform first ? What Switch sells this Holiday season would be an amazing lifetime result for the SteamDeck.

Dont think the whole back and forth is really helpful, so lets just agree to disagree on this one - we can still make cases for other are comparison point or performance evaluation of the SD. Its an exciting device and the more powerful SoC is obv. one mayor selling point for it, so i get why its at the forefront of many comparison with the Switch. But we are long ways off for Valve to be able to proof how much of a selling point with the current level of expected shipments. They are trying to establish a new hardware plattforms, not going toe to toe against one of the best selling consoles ever (for now).
Honestly, I think we're on the same side for the most part, you just continue to take some weird offense at me saying "Steam Deck is better". :) I already said this in the posting before: If we want to talk about desirability, and that's what we ought to talk about in a sales thread, then it becomes a more nuanced, differentiated matter.

And to return to that side of the debate: I do not think that the Steam Deck will outsell or "crush" the Switch nor the Switch 2. As you say, lots of kids will want Mario Kart, Animal Crossing and so on. A good comparison would be how in the past lots of people wanted an iPod, even though Cowon mp3 players were much better and cheaper. Desirability is independent from quality, hence why I'm frustrated about any Pokemon talk, because the franchise keep selling millions despite lack of quality (imo). Or see the PlayStation Portable and Vita, both better hardware than their Nintendo pendants, but people wanted Nintendo software and gimmicks like styuls-controls and glassless 3D. Even in everyday life, when I buy my groceries, I got to discounter "Penny", while my parents go shopping at "Edeka", where they pay almost double for some of the same products I buy at the less desirable super market.

In the end, my initial posting is where I'm at regarding Steam Deck: It will sell whatever Valve can have manufactured. And maybe some time in 2023, we will see some divergence between manufactured and sold units. Then we'll see the real market potential of this new device.

I expect Deck will be very successful for Valve.

Both in units sold vs their projections, but in particular strategically. Because Valve is about PC gaming, making it as accessible as possible, and Deck is just one prong of that strategy.

It targets and will bullseye "core enthusiast" gamers. It will lead a charge of other devices from other manufacturers. And combined ... They will sell like an order of magnitude less than the Big Three Console platforms.

And thats fine and still huge inroads over the next several years! They already got me, and Im a mainly handheld/portable gamer for last few platform cycles!

Aside, I expect Valve rolls out "Steam Cloud" or some such within couple years as another prong of "make PC gaming EZ".

Back
Top Bottom