• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

What’s Next for Nintendo Third-Party Support?

I think RDR2 will come someday to a Nintendo system.

Whatever it is Switch 1 or NG.

Western companies putting in shame japanese third parties

Edit: to not make a double post, Necro Felipe said today that Far Cry 7 is planned to launch day one at Switch NG. Tentative release date is Fall 2025.

Full Ubisoft support would be very good news.

Last edited:
Ok, so now we know when Switch 2 will launch 0_o

Better than anything shown at Meta Connect 2023 just now.

Edit: Oh lol, "2025", yeah, ofc, Switch 2 will be out by then ... unless it gets tboned.
Yeah the game will be out supposedly in Fall 2025. What will be interesting is if the game is next gen only (dropping ps4/xb1).

Ubisoft had pretty much dropped last gen. Mirage is one of the last games, only because it was spun off a last gen game

Yeah you're right. I had forgotten Avatar and SW Outlaws are both current gen only. If FC7 does launch day and date on NS2 with the other platforms, then that would be a big improvement from NS1 support from Ubisoft. I'm still curious as to why NS1 never got a single (at least as of now) Far Cry game though, seeing as it got a bunch of old ACrd games. I guess the series isn't as big?

Yeah you're right. I had forgotten Avatar and SW Outlaws are both current gen only. If FC7 does launch day and date on NS2 with the other platforms, then that would be a big improvement from NS1 support from Ubisoft. I'm still curious as to why NS1 never got a single (at least as of now) Far Cry game though, seeing as it got a bunch of old ACrd games. I guess the series isn't as big?
Far Cry is more that Ubisoft hasn't really remastered most of their library outside of Assassin's Creed. I think only 3 and Blood Dragon have been remastered and both were a part of Far Cry 5 and 6's season pass respectively. They could have ported those but, I think they are based on Far Cry's engine (a Cryengine fork called Dunia), which wouldn't have translated as well. Assassin's Creed are built in Ubisoft's Anvil Engine and most of Ubisoft's other games are built in Snowdrop.

Thank God. Don't think this would have been worth it at all, given the kind of cutbacks they would've had to make.

Not sure if this will come to Switch, Switch 2, both or none but I wouldn't take that Tweet as relevant

RDR Racing was already on the board, the RDR2 Racing could be a mistake or whatever but wasn't intended for RDR for sure
And of course they took it down: because was a mistake or because was a leak (not authorized publication yet)

We will see

The Henderson tweet is an extremely good sign for the Switch 2's Ubisoft support.

It will be interesting to see how true is Henderson second statement and if it will affect negative in PS5 or XBS HW/SW sales, or if it will expand gaming market.

I am really anticipating the mental gymnastic from the usual 3rd JP devs to justify not making any Nintendo port while from the west you'll get the next Ubisoft AAA game or even a GTA VI.

I am really anticipating the mental gymnastic from the usual 3rd JP devs to justify not making any Nintendo port while from the west you'll get the next Ubisoft AAA game or even a GTA VI.

GTA skipping Switch = no demographic match
GTA being on Switch = too crowded and competitive lineup

As simple as that!

It will be interesting to see how true is Henderson second statement and if it will affect negative in PS5 or XBS HW/SW sales, or if it will expand gaming market.

I could definitely see western publishers going all out. The usual Japanese third party though, now that's a mystery.

I could definitely see western publishers going all out. The usual Japanese third party though, now that's a mystery.
Its possible that western publishers will try to aim for day 1 releases with other platforms while japanese ones will rely on +1 year or more late ports.

I think most western 3rd parties will be all in on Switch 2 for their most important titles in terms of potential audience. We already know it is guaranteed to get what are big mass market brands in the west like CoD and EA FC.

GTA6 is the only "system selling" 3rd party game on the horizon I'm hesitant on since I don't see it at launch, but it could definitely arrive a few years later. But either way a lot of the pillars of the console market should be on that platform.

GTA skipping Switch = no demographic match
GTA being on Switch = too crowded and competitive lineup

As simple as that!
Second reason rings so true as that’s probably SE’s BS reasoning when they made Foamstars a PlayStation console-exclusive. There are some Japanese third-parties that like to copy Nintendo games, but for PlayStation platforms instead. Well, Chinese devs are jumping in on the trend too.

I remember there was this hiring for an AAA game inspired by Xenoblade but for PlayStation only (and PC?). Wonder how that project’s going.

Really makes you question their mental gymnastics.

This made me think of the articles we saw that said Series S was holding things back. Switch 2 could indirectly help Series S by acting as a stop gap between Switch 2.

Will we see Switch 2 holds devs back? Switch 1 had its complainers before the narrative went to Series S.

This made me think of the articles we saw that said Series S was holding things back. Switch 2 could indirectly help Series S by acting as a stop gap between Switch 2.

Will we see Switch 2 holds devs back? Switch 1 had its complainers before the narrative went to Series S.
I can see Series S just being a higher res/frame rate version of Drake games. those comparisons will be fun

Half of the MH clones on Vita were Sony lead joints to get some of that MHP3 money, the other half were companies trying to avoid MH3/4/G on the 3DS.

Seems like western 3rd party support will be quite strong since that's where Hnderson's sources are all from.

Is the MH6 rumor worth discussing?

Second reason rings so true as that’s probably SE’s BS reasoning when they made Foamstars a PlayStation console-exclusive. There are some Japanese third-parties that like to copy Nintendo games, but for PlayStation platforms instead. Well, Chinese devs are jumping in on the trend too.

I remember there was this hiring for an AAA game inspired by Xenoblade but for PlayStation only (and PC?). Wonder how that project’s going.

Really makes you question their mental gymnastics.
Given it's also not on PC, I'd say Foamstars is almost certainly a Sony deal.

Half of the MH clones on Vita were Sony lead joints to get some of that MHP3 money, the other half were companies trying to avoid MH3/4/G on the 3DS.
Half were Sony projects, half were Sony moneyhats after realizing they were fucked by Capcom.

MH went from Kingmaker to Kingslayer.

I think that not releasing FFVII Remake on the Switch 2 would be a lost oportunity for Square, theres a lot of potential buyers that are Nintendo only and overlap of audiences

I think that not releasing FFVII Remake on the Switch 2 would be a lost oportunity for Square, theres a lot of potential buyers that are Nintendo only and overlap of audiences
I’d also argue that this would be a good time to start fixing some of their issues related to FF doing poorly in JP.

Is there any reason to think Capcom won't repeat what they did before in regards to Monster Hunter (i.e. World 2 for PS5/XBS/PC and later Rise 2 for NSW2/PC)?
Costs. Rise 2 and World 2 won't be any cheaper. I expect a Rise 2 to cost as much to make as World did. And both Rise 2 and World 2 will need a lot of staff at the same time. Logistically, making one game is easier on the teams and wallet.

Not to mention, they would have to be made at the same time if they want optimal release timing. Otherwise, waiting until the other systems get their games would push out Drake MH to several years from now. Capcom wouldn't be able to rely on the Japanese market for a long while

There simply is no good faith-reason for putting 2 games on the other systems, but only 1 on Switch 2. Unless one truly requires so much raw power that a port is impossible, which is just not likely/believable. More money is to be made by putting everything on everything.

Its probably better for Capcom to release 1 MH game per gen on all platforms.

Imagine MH6 sales on Swtich 2 and PS5 in Japan ;)
Post automatically merged:

Given it's also not on PC, I'd say Foamstars is almost certainly a Sony deal.

Doesnt seem likely, Sony is releasing its own GAAS games day 1 on PC. Its just another case of SE doesn't wanting to develop for multiple platforms.

There simply is no good faith-reason for putting 2 games on the other systems, but only 1 on Switch 2. Unless one truly requires so much raw power that a port is impossible, which is just not likely/believable. More money is to be made by putting everything on everything.
Yeah, and to think we still have people hoping for Capcom to not release MH6 for Switch 2 because they don’t want the game to be “held back.” They cheered when World skipped Switch and begged for Rise to be on “real platforms.”

Hopefully a day one release on Switch 2 would finally quell these bad takes. Especially if MH6’s sales on Switch 2 are comparable to sales on PS5. No amount of begging to skip Switch 2 will amount to anything if the platform split shows how competitive Switch 2 is. Rise already proved it with its sales, but since it wasn’t a day one multi platform release, people still treat its success as something separate and not proof that Nintendo can directly compete with PlayStation on MH sales.

Doesnt seem likely, Sony is releasing its own GAAS games day 1 on PC. Its just another case of SE doesn't wanting to develop for multiple platforms.
Pretty much the only time we see SE doing exclusivity like this is when there's a deal in place.

Why is Tom Henderson tweet taken as Ubisoft only/espexially related?

Because Tom Henderson reports more about Ubisoft than other publishers (because they leak more) and because Tom Henderson was recently just talking to a developer of Far Cry 7 to leak stuff there.

I'm more interested in the exclusives more than anything else but Nintendo sure looks like it will have a good reception from the get go with Switch 2 and it will snowball into something big if Switch 2 starts out strong. I'm guessing that the first few years will not be very different from the last few years of the Switch with a bit more support but as time goes by we will see more and more ports and exclusives coming to the system.

Yeah, Call of Duty and nothing else. I would be surprised if Microsoft even allows Spyro and Crash on PS and Nintendo platforms considering they didn't do it for Banjo.

Not even Xbox owners are.going to get a new Crash or Spyro, probably lol

Yeah, Call of Duty and nothing else. I would be surprised if Microsoft even allows Spyro and Crash on PS and Nintendo platforms considering they didn't do it for Banjo.
I would bet against "nothing else" from at least Blizzard on Switch 2.

Not even Xbox owners are.going to get a new Crash or Spyro, probably lol

If Microsoft manages Activision Blizzard like they manage their internal studios yeah, I can see a new Crash being announced with a CGI trailer, go radio silence for 5 years, rumors of development issues surfacing and then releasing as a "pretty ok" game after 7 years in development.

Hate to interrupt everyone getting all hot & bothered about the forthcoming Switch version of Call of Duty: Declassified (with free Road to Victory eShop code) it's important to remember that we need all the early portable Call of Duty entries first. We need to revive Operation Rain(ingCOD)fall to convince n-space to give VR a break & bring Switch people the DS FPS heat! ✌️
I thought n-Space died
LATE EDIT: You're right I got them confused.com with nDreams for some nReason. Actually looking up all the studios that worked on portable Call of Duty games, they're dead, they're all dead! Even when they nStigate a rebrand they're still dead (what's with all the lower case n developers anyway?) or suffered a fate worse than death. Must be some kind of handheld Ju-On curse.
Signs are looking very good for Nintendo's upcoming consoles, even moreso with every publishers looking for additional revenue streams currently.
Every company ought to already have a back catalogue strategy & be wading knee deep in the archives to Built the (Intellectual Property) list. The current economic situation & next-gen Switch launch provide extra incentive to do so with greater urgency. There's gold in dem porting hills! Following up on a post earlier in the year...here's another studio for Nintendo to hire.
Not sure why people are questioning if new hardware we know nothing (officially) about is up to the (unspecified) task when the Switch has been used by many developers to good effect (Doom, The Witcher 3, Alien Isolation) plus lesser known examples like Rebellion Developments studio Rebellion North widely praised Switch versions. Extra, extra, read all about it!

How Rebellion North are spreading their wings with best-in-class ports and original projects
Our "Sniper Elite 4" Journey: Lessons in Porting AAA Action Games to the Nintendo Switch

Sniper Elite 3 Ultimate Edition: Switch vs PS4 Tested - A Superb Conversion!
Zombie Army 4 - Switch vs PS4 - A Next-Level 'Impossible Port' - DF Tech Review

Nintendo can identify games with quality ports on Switch, seek out the studios responsible & investigate the possibility of offering contract work for new projects. Eternal Darkness Reboot?

Vladyslav Popushoi, Project Lead of the UE4 Department at Pingle Studio, shares his team's experience with their successful port of the PC version of Five Nights at Freddy's: Security Breach to Nintendo Switch.
The legacy version works at 120fps on PC, but there are some drops to 60fps. But it is okay because the player could hardly notice it due to the measured tempo of the game. The game also used a lot of memory due to some big-size textures, animations, light maps, etc. All these things required a lot of optimization to run the game on Switch.
Our QA team prepared a report for all the locations. We took a fragment of one of the most loaded locations and downgraded the graphics to the absolute minimum to see how the game performed. Then, we increased the quality bit by bit: extending the textures, calculating the AI of NPCs and enemies, baking the lights, etc. When the picture was good enough for the Client and us, we determined the approximate acceptable quality level and understood what needed to be done to get to it.
To sum up, the biggest challenge was managing the memory. The project made us make a lot of original and creative decisions. As a result, the game build took 8GB instead of 79 GB. Also, the Switch version of the game turned out to be the most stable of all the other platforms' versions, which the original developers highlighted.
Pingle Studio website has a Five Nights At Freddy's Security Breach case study entry which summarises the article with bullet-points that idiots like me can (sorta) understand. Even if (like me) you don't understand some (or any) of it, worth reading in full as its a useful look into how a studio can problem solve & port a PC game that was never built with Switch in mind.
Challenge
  • Unable to launch the game due to the use of memory by Hard References, which isn’t built to work on Nintendo Switch.​
Solution
  1. Research the game performance via profiling;
  2. Detect that the game uses hard references content uploading logic, which loads a lot of unnecessary content (it works for platforms with more powerful hardware, but not with Switch);
  3. Optimize the content uploading pipeline for all the Hard References in the game.
It also has other case studies for prior work (including The Eternal Cylinder that Vladyslav Popushoi is credited on their barren mobygames entry). But for the purposes of this Switch discussion, Pingle Studio ported The Nightfall, PC Building Simulator, Strayed Lights & Paleo Pines. The studio was also contracted by team17 to work on DLC/post-launch support for Golf With Your Friends: The Deep & My Time At Portia. Company blog also has some further reading with a few relevant examples linked below for anyone (still) awake reading this. :)

Engine & SDK Updates​

Updates to the SDK base tend to come unexpectedly, the team must be working with the latest version available. Difficulties can arise when an SDK update comes midway during a porting process. The difficulty of working through that situation depends heavily on what engine the game is using.

If your title is using Unreal Engine, this situation is generally easily resolved as Unreal Engine offers avenues that make changes fairly straightforwardly. Unity, on the other hand, involves a lot more hands-on time to resolve those changes without introducing too many bugs. To sum up, factor in the possibility of these updates in your schedule as well as the cost of porting a game to Nintendo Switch.

GPU Optimization​

Generally, with porting a game to Switch, Graphics/Performance is the part most users and reviewers focus on and it’s a pivotal part to get right.

There is no getting around it, GPU optimization on the Switch requires you have access to very skilled technical artists who specialize in optimization. If your team or outsourced team can focus on shader optimization as well as asset optimization, you’ll be on track for a solid porting experience.

Memory Limits​

Potentially one of the biggest hurdles of porting to Nintendo Switch is the strict memory restrictions. Your game can only use up to 3.17GB of memory. This needs to be understood before the process begins, as the goal is to find ways to make the contents fit within these hard limits. This can prove more challenging and more time-consuming with large open-world games.

Compatibility​

An easy rule of thumb when deciding whether to port to Nintendo Switch or not, is how hard will it be to port the title over? Generally, if a game’s mechanics, art style, and content can remain mostly untouched but just require optimization for the Switch hardware – that means the game is ideal for the porting process. Whilst you can still port games that don’t meet that criteria, those titles often require a lot of reworking of the systems of the game and those compromises result in a less desirable port.

Further Reading (for anyone still alive :) ):

How to build a PC on a console: PC Building Simulator Case Study (June 20, 2022)​

How to Optimize a Game: Video Game Optimization Best Practices for Console (October 13, 2022)​

Why Porting Games to Multiple Console Generations is a Smart Move (February 8, 2023)​

Last edited:
Yeah, and to think we still have people hoping for Capcom to not release MH6 for Switch 2 because they don’t want the game to be “held back.” They cheered when World skipped Switch and begged for Rise to be on “real platforms.”

Hopefully a day one release on Switch 2 would finally quell these bad takes. Especially if MH6’s sales on Switch 2 are comparable to sales on PS5. No amount of begging to skip Switch 2 will amount to anything if the platform split shows how competitive Switch 2 is. Rise already proved it with its sales, but since it wasn’t a day one multi platform release, people still treat its success as something separate and not proof that Nintendo can directly compete with PlayStation on MH sales.
Console warriors online will move the goalposts and come up with more bad takes. They’ve been doing it since forever. I know that there are people who still insist that the PS2 was more powerful than the Cube. I doubt Capcom will make business decisions based off of a few hot takes on Neogaf, Restera, or IGN.

At the end of the day, Capcom will release a new mainline Monster Hunter on Switch 2, whether it’s a customs title or multiplatform. It will be good business to do so.

Hopefully we have an idea very soon about that.
Maybe a tease in a few days and announcements later on.

The 2017 switch will keep getting small games and remaksters of old (and very rare "bigger" games) but the next Switch might just go a lot farther.
The more the merrier. The west is an easy bet, Japan on the other hand...
The Switch was a no brainer and many continued their business as if it didn't exist.
The question is, who in Japan would dev for a switch 2, even if it releases with enough modernity to handle future games? Or who wouldn't. It could bring a lot more light on the industry.

Last edited:
Hopefully we have an idea very soon about that.
Maybe a tease in a few days and announcements later on.

The 2017 switch will keep getting small games and remaksters of old (and very rare "bigger" games) but the next Switch might just go a lot farther.
The more the merrier. The west is an easy bet, Japan on the other hand...
The Switch was a no brainer and many continued their business as if it didn't exist.
The question is, who in Japan would dev for a switch 2, even if it releases with enough modernity to handle future games? Or who wouldn't. It could bring a lot more light on the industry.

As long as the new Switch is powerful enough to handle ports without a ton of extra work I don't see much reason to believe it wont see a considerable uptick in support from Japanese publishers too for bigger games. Capcom will likely support it. And I would expect SE to show it some love too. There is no reason not to if you can do it in a modestly cheap manner that doesn't add a ton of stress to your internal teams.

A lot of lessons were learned with the Switch. I don't think publishers will want to leave this huge market underserved when it's just easy money to include it. In Japan alone, the amount of software units left unattended due to not including switch in big productions is staggering. Even if Switch 2 is not as big a success as the Switch (which imo is a given unless we have some earth changing pandemic again), there is just no way everyone wants to be caught with their pants down again.

As long as the new Switch is powerful enough to handle ports without a ton of extra work I don't see much reason to believe it wont see a considerable uptick in support from Japanese publishers too for bigger games. Capcom will likely support it. And I would expect SE to show it some love too. There is no reason not to if you can do it in a modestly cheap manner that doesn't add a ton of stress to your internal teams.

A lot of lessons were learned with the Switch. I don't think publishers will want to leave this huge market underserved when it's just easy money to include it. In Japan alone, the amount of software units left unattended due to not including switch in big productions is staggering. Even if Switch 2 is not as big a success as the Switch (which imo is a given unless we have some earth changing pandemic again), there is just no way everyone wants to be caught with their pants down again.
Oh I agree with you but we also have Bamco Nandai as a very specific example of avoiding on purpose whether it makes sense or not.

And the question is, will Atlus Cutting Edge graphics run on it. Will it be underground enough for Sega also. 😛

Back
Top Bottom