• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

Sony State of Play Jan. 31 (2 p.m. PT 5 p.m. ET 23:00 CET) 40 minutes; 15+ games from developers from around the world

It's just a low budget remake from not good devs, it makes pretty huge changes from the original so it's not a remaster.

It's a little sad (though predictable) how terrible all of Konami's Silent Hill output has been since they brought the franchise back.

Silent Hill: Brilliant Fog.

Silent Hill: Shining Pyramidhead.

That said, I am not sure where the IP is in general and what sort of investment it needs. It could be one of those "tests" as a remaster.

The major issue with doing more simple stuff like that is

1. Konami has lost the source code for the old games
2. The gameplay is so not great that the game would likely be very poorly if they launched at full price

The bigger issue for all Konami games is

1. Konami cannot attract talent due to how much they abuse their employees and how publicly they do so
2. Konami does not want to spend much money on video games

So Konami gives their games to bad or overwhelmed developers and gives them very little money as well.

Silent Hill: Brilliant Fog.

Silent Hill: Shining Pyramidhead.

That said, I am not sure where the IP is in general and what sort of investment it needs. It could be one of those "tests" as a remaster.

All the Silent Hill projects coming out of the Silent Hill Transmission of 2022 look like disasters or at best mid releases.

Also really crazy that it's only this IP and not Castlevania and other IPs in this "revival" outside of JP/mobile. Especially considering the current gaming trend and what MetroidVANIAs are able to do in the indie space.
Of course they could also be shopping their other IPs around to other studios, but this is not yet known to us.

Naughty Dog today implied that TLOU3 is nowhere near release and they have another game scheduled before it.

Probably pushes TLOU3 to 2031 or later.

Actually surprised as this is really bad for the TV series.

All the Silent Hill projects coming out of the Silent Hill Transmission of 2022 look like disasters or at best mid releases.

Also really crazy that it's only this IP and not Castlevania and other IPs in this "revival" outside of JP/mobile. Especially considering the current gaming trend and what MetroidVANIAs are able to do in the indie space.
Of course they could also be shopping their other IPs around to other studios, but this is not yet known to us.
They just released MGS Collection V1 last year and will probably release MGS3 HD either this year or next. They're rumored to be doing V2 (MGS4/Peace Walker/MGS5) next, but I imagine that will take a long while as I'm sure MGS4's code is miserable to deal with due to being a PS3 exclusive.

They're also doing a new Contra that's launching really soon, but the hype has been pretty muted (even though the dev is actually good) because it looks so low budget and the art is so mediocre.

They're doing stuff with all their IPs, they're just not willing to spend any money on them.

Last edited:
Helldivers 2 seems to be previewing well. If they can supply a steady stream of content updates it might be a win for sonys first GAAS

I was looking through japanese youtube comments on the Famitsu video and they seem pretty into it. Might be a hit with the EDF crowd

Naughty Dog today implied that TLOU3 is nowhere near release and they have another game scheduled before it.

Probably pushes TLOU3 to 2031 or later.

Actually surprised as this is really bad for the TV series.

Certainly jumping to conclusions there. Even with there being another game between now and TLOU3 I can't see it taking another 7 years to release.

I also think there's quite a bit of hyperbole when discussing Naughty Dog's output (or the supposed lack thereof)... Their last fully original game was just less than 4 years ago and they've since developed 2 remasters and a ground-up remake in-house to get the team up to speed with PS5 development. So, despite all the internet discourse, they have maintained a very reasonable output cadency and, even with the whole Factions debacle, I can't see them going away from their usual 3~4 years between each new big game (with remasters and smaller games to go between them)

Certainly jumping to conclusions there. Even with there being another game between now and TLOU3 I can't see it taking another 7 years to release.

I also think there's quite a bit of hyperbole when discussing Naughty Dog's output (or the supposed lack thereof)... Their last fully original game was just less than 4 years ago and they've since developed 2 remasters and a ground-up remake in-house to get the team up to speed with PS5 development. So, despite all the internet discourse, they have maintained a very reasonable output cadency and, even with the whole Factions debacle, I can't see them going away from their usual 3~4 years between each new big game (with remasters and smaller games to go between them)

I guess the belief is that there will be a new IP in 2026 and TLOUP3 as a end of gen or cross gen game.

It will definitely be weird for the hbo production as next year is season 2 and 2026 would be season 3. What they do after that is HBO’s problem i guess

?

The last original ND game took 5 years which is pretty much the standard dev time. I'm pretty doubtful they launch a game before 2026 after Factions so that puts TLOU3 at 2031+.

Man, I like all the Bioshock's settings/designs ... but at the end of the day, they're all the same frantic arena-like shooters that I have zero interest in. :( Ken Levine should make movies.

Edit: I know this is a me-problem again, but man, all these games look so "been there, done that". Really wish there were some more creative AAA-games. Gimme "The Last Guardian" for PC at least >_>

Edit 2: This is just stupid. People need to stop praising Kojima :/
this time is different! he put actual minorities (in the background) so the gameplay must be 1% diffrent also

?

The last original ND game took 5 years which is pretty much the standard dev time. I'm pretty doubtful they launch a game before 2026 after Factions so that puts TLOU3 at 2031+.

The gap between Uncharted 4 and TLOU2 was 4 years (or less than 3 years if you consider Lost Legacy) and Factions was cancelled before entering full production. So, unless you think the development team was sitting looking at their hands while the project was in pre-production, your prediction is at minimum very pessimistic.

The gap between Uncharted 4 and TLOU2 was 4 years (or less than 3 years if you consider Lost Legacy) and Factions was cancelled before entering full production. So, unless you think the development team was sitting looking at their hands while the project was in pre-production, your prediction is at minimum very pessimistic.
Really hard to tell - entirely possible the bulk of the studio was all in on Factions for years, a small team was doing TLOU1R and another small team was doing pre-production on the new IP. In that case, there isn't going to be much to be show from the first half of this gen from ND. A AAA brand new IP from Naughty Dog is going to take a lot of time in full-development, lets be honest. I'd be surprised if we get a proper ND game this gen.

Thankfully, Playstation has strong third-party support to fill in these barren first party years. Hell GTA6 alone will be a juggernaut for PS5 next year.

Really hard to tell - entirely possible the bulk of the studio was all in on Factions for years, a small team was doing TLOU1R and another small team was doing pre-production on the new IP.

That goes against everything that was said by the studio, so unless we believe they were lying there's no reason to think that. The project was just on the process of transitioning from pre to full-production when they decided to cancel it.

In that case, there isn't going to be much to be show from the first half of this gen from ND. A AAA brand new IP from Naughty Dog is going to take a lot of time in full-development, lets be honest. I'd be surprised if we get a proper ND game this gen.

Thankfully, Playstation has strong third-party support to fill in these barren first party years. Hell GTA6 alone will be a juggernaut for PS5 next year.

I really don't see this gen ending without at least 2 new games from ND.

I would be very surprised if it’s not announced this year. I imagine whatever Druckmann is working on is in full production at this point and it’s all hands on deck. He said at Summer Game Fest 22’ that he can’t say what he’s working on and that’d he get in trouble.

So it’s something that been in production a couple of years already

Seeing two games from ND this gen from this point on is dependent on two major factors.
Have they truly fixed their production issues which causes crunch and loss of industry leading talent?
Can they truly juggle 2 full scale production teams unlike last time they attempted to do so?

See you guys in a couple years for the answer.
I would be very surprised if it’s not announced this year.

ND and Neil have stated multiple times that they're really going to cut off on announcing games far out, it's possible we won't hear from them for some time.
But maybe Factions having to be cancelled and them going silent for a long time might cause them some sort of internal pressure to show something quicker than they would want, who knows.

Seeing two games from ND this gen from this point on is dependent on two major factors.
Have they truly fixed their production issues which causes crunch and loss of industry leading talent?
Can they truly juggle 2 full scale production teams unlike last time they attempted to do so?

See you guys in a couple years for the answer.

ND and Neil have stated multiple times that they're really going to cut off on announcing games far out, it's possible we won't hear from them for some time.
But maybe Factions having to be cancelled and them going silent for a long time might cause them some sort of internal pressure to show something quicker than they would want, who knows.

I dont think them announcing it this year would be far out. I think it’s possible it could release within 18 - 24 months of the announcement. Similar to Spider-Man 2

Sony has been announcing games and letting the studios go completely silent until a couple of months from release. Unlike last generation where they felt like they needed to have trailers for all their announced games every E3. Insomniac were so quiet about SM2 that a lot of people had no faith in it releasing last year, same with Ragnarok the year before.

Great State of Play overall. Probably a B grade. 8-8.5/10 in general.

For me, more like a D only because I go based on how many games were shown (excluding VR and remasters) and out of those games, how many do I want to play. Only Rise of the Ronin and Stellar Blade are 100% for me with V Rising being 50/50. Last September's State of Play was better for me personally. But in general, again, overall a great State of Play. Got what I wanted the most which was a Stellar Blade release date. No major issues or complaints here.

State of Play surpassed 2.6M views on PS channel and had 470K peak on their youtube, making this the most popular SoP (that isn't a game deep dive or showcase) ever.

Hope the takeaway is 30 min+ SoPs with AAA focus.

State of Play surpassed 2.6M views on PS channel and had 470K peak on their youtube, making this the most popular SoP (that isn't a game deep dive or showcase) ever.

Hope the takeaway is 30 min+ SoPs with AAA focus.

I think that this strategy is especially a good idea for the first one of each year.
That sets the tone for the the year, at least until the June showcase.

Back
Top Bottom