• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

Nintendo software and hardware sales data from 1983 to present

Annual hardware and software shipments:

7iGwiri.jpg
Have you got actual yearly numbers for software and not just bar charts? I found this (below) but the numbers only go back to 1998, it would be great to have yearly software numbers going back to 1991.

DagFy5Z.jpg

Have you got actual yearly numbers for software and not just bar charts? I found this (below) but the numbers only go back to 1998, it would be great to have yearly software numbers going back to 1991.

DagFy5Z.jpg

This post have the missing data:

am I just bad at looking or is there no data for Mario Golf: World Tour (3DS) which would mean it never crossed the 1m barrier?

am I just bad at looking or is there no data for Mario Golf: World Tour (3DS) which would mean it never crossed the 1m barrier?
Based on NPD and Famitsu data, it's very likely that Mario Golf: World Tour didn't surpass 500K worldwide. I'm surprised Nintendo greenlit a Switch sequel, as their general barometer for success is >1 million lifetime sales, but it seems to have worked out given that Mario Golf: Star Rush has blown past its predecessor at >2.35 million.
Post automatically merged:

DagFy5Z.jpg
I posted them all 10 years ago here:

How time flies... 😄

All quarterly sales for Nintendo Consoles (up to their ninth fiscal year) taken from their own reports, Nintendo began releasing quarterly earning reports from the start of the 2003/04 fiscal year so the first 2 years of GBA and GCN are missing. Before 2003 earnings reports were only every 6 months.

hFluE2S.png

Last edited:
Based on NPD and Famitsu data, it's very likely that Mario Golf: World Tour didn't surpass 500K worldwide. I'm surprised Nintendo greenlit a Switch sequel, as their general barometer for success is >1 million lifetime sales, but it seems to have worked out given that Mario Golf: Star Rush has blown past its predecessor at >2.35 million.
*Super Rush
But what a tragic sales failure World Tour was. It's a really good game. Super Rush sold over 1M in it's opening week WW.

Post automatically merged:

I posted them all 10 years ago here:

How time flies... 😄
Nintendo rarely bins a series just because of one underperformance. Mario sports games are also relatively cheaper to make since they can reuse a lot of assets.

If anything a series is more likely to disappear due to lack of a reliable dev team to consistently make games... cries in Wario Land

Nintendo rarely bins a series just because of one underperformance. Mario sports games are also relatively cheaper to make since they can reuse a lot of assets.

If anything a series is more likely to disappear due to lack of a reliable dev team to consistently make games... cries in Wario Land
Yeah it took fire emblem a bunch of underperforming titles to be in danger of being shelved
Same with F zero in the early 2000s

Yeah it took fire emblem a bunch of underperforming titles to be in danger of being shelved
Same with F zero in the early 2000s
Praying to god the rumors of the GX remaster are true. It's pretty disappointing Nintendo only allows itself one racing series these days.

Some useful sources

Nintendo's investor relationship section:
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/

Regional hardware shipment by fiscal year (big thanks to @Aquamarine):
r8PrA3I.png

DqHMHz4.png

UdkO2i7.png

Virtual Boy hardware sales data source:
Virtual Boy sell-in LTD as March 1996 was taken from an article in Famitsu (issue 392 page 8) which indicated that the shipment split between Japan and abroad was respectively 140K and 630K.
Here a big scan of the article in question (Famitsu issue 392 page 8):
http://i.imgur.com/hXXa6DE.jpg

Non-consolidated software sales from the fiscal year ending March 1992 to the fiscal year ending March 1999:

Software sales units bundled with hardware for each fiscal year (total software sales exclude digital-only games):
FY20: 3.40M (total software sales: 168.72M)
FY21: 3.80M (total software sales: 230.88M)
FY22: 1.50M (total software sales: 235.07M)

Game & Watch sales data source:
http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/clubn/game-and-watch-ball-reward/0/3
Game & Watch annual shipments

Color TV Game 6/15 sales data source:
Nikkei Electronics May 9, 1994 issue "Famicom Development Story."
http://trendy.nikkeibp.co.jp/article/special/20080929/1019222/

NES Classic Mini sales data source:
http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/04...llion-units-worldwide-before-its-cancellation
SNES Classic Mini sales data source:
https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2018/180426e.pdf

Pokémon Red / Green / Blue / Yellow / Gold / Silver sales sources:
https://life.oricon.co.jp/news/72880/
https://www.nintendo.co.jp/nom/0006/05/index.html

Important notification about Pokémon Red / Green / Blue and Pokémon Gold / Silver sales:

For a long time Nintendo only gave the combined total sales for Pokémon Red / Green / Blue / Yellow / Gold / Silver / Crystal of about 76 million units sold worldwide.
The figures for the single entries were presented as estimates therefore I recommended to use the combined sales figure if you need to cite official data for Pokémon Red / Green / Blue / Yellow / Gold / Silver / Crystal.

Recently I've come across an article on Oricon which has official figures for Pokémon Red / Green / Blue and Pokémon Gold / Silver:

■ Reference / Number of new series shipped so far (Pokemon announcement)
"Pokemon Red and Green" Game Boy Released on February 27, 1996
Domestic: Over 8.2 million (Worldwide: 29.04 million)

"Pokemon Gold and Silver" Game Boy Game Boy Color Released on November 21, 1999
Domestic: Over 7.3 million units (Worldwide: 23.73 million units)

"Pokemon Ruby Sapphire" Game Boy Advance Released on November 21, 2002 Domestic: Over 5.4 million units (Worldwide: 16.21 million units)

"Pokemon Diamond and Pearl" Nintendo DS Released on September 28, 2006 Domestic: Over 5.8 million units (Worldwide: 17.15 million units)

* Cumulative worldwide sales of more than 130 million units (including remake version and version difference)
* All figures are as of the end of September 2009

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The worldwide figure given in the article consider Pokémon Red / Green for Japan and Pokémon Red / Blue for the overseas markets but miss the japanese sales of Pokémon Blue which are 2.01 million units.
Therefore Pokémon Red / Green / Blue has sold in total 31.05 million units.

See the below table with sell-in data as March 2000 provided by Nintendo for details:
mtJR506.jpg

I've updated the data in OP for Pokémon Red / Green / Blue and Pokémon Gold / Silver.

For Pokémon Yellow and Pokémon Crystal the figures in the Game Boy list should still be considered estimates and I advice to utilize the combined figure of about 76 million units if you need officially sourced sales figure for those two games.
Your work is simply magnificent!! Too bad it's not possible to know the exact numbers of SNES, GB, NES and N64 shipments before FY 98/99 in the Americas and Other regions.

I've updated OP with data as December 2022.

A few considerations:
- NSW has become the Nintendo console with the highest software sales ever, soon it will be announced that it has surpassed the 1 billion figure.
- NSW software tie ratio has surpassed the NES's one and keeps growing.
- To explain the record breaking performance of Nintendo's first-party software on NSW just think that at the moment NSW first-party million-sellers total sales roughly match the combination of NES+GB+SNES million first-party million-sellers total sales.

HE1OxMi.jpg

I think if Nintendo (like Sony) count every single piece of software sold, they already surpass 6 billion in sales.
But for now, with the numbers we have for both companies, they like head to head in this segment.

Ah okay. Pretty crazy honestly the GCN had such a high attach rate. Probably explains its vocal fanbase these days, if you bought a GCN you were all in on its library.
Pretty impressive.
Talking by myself (81 games).
The total amount sold, is near the same of the Nintendo 64.
Which sold more than 11 millions units of hardware than the Game Cube.

The lowest selling the console, the more core focused it is, the higher the attach-rate.

Even the WiiU had a high attach-rate.
Indeed that was a factor; every mid to high-profile release (usually from Nintendo) would be celebrated due to the endless software droughts that plagued the console from mid-2003 onwards. Also, during the 6th generation of consoles, retail games were probably the most affordable they ever were, considering the purchasing power of the middle-class and phase-out of the last cartridge-based media.

Hell, I bought almost 30 games for the GameCube:

- Super Monkey Ball 2
- Phantasy Star Online
- Phantasy Star Online Episode III: C.A.R.D. Revolution
- Super Mario Sunshine
- The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
- Metroid Prime
- Mario Kart Double Dash
- PN 03
- Star Fox: Assault
- Tales of Symphonia
- Viewtful Joe
- Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
- REmake
- Resident Evil 0
- Resident Evil 4
- SSX 3
- Baten Kaitos
- Soul Calibur II
- Eternal Darkness
- Donkey Konga
- Donkey Kong Jungle Beat (a frankly astounding game, especially compared to the rest of Nintendo's output back then)
- Super Smash Bros. Melee
- F-Zero GX
- Ikaruga
- The Legend of Zelda: 4 Swords
- The Legend of Zelda: Twillight Princess
- Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes (I didn't like it one bit)

And that, as a teenager who would starve himself to buy games. And I was still up for more, way more.

Last edited:
When talking about tie ratio the number of games also plays a role. Going by Wikipedia the N64 had 393 games. Finding a figure for the GameCube is more iffy, but it seems it had well over 500. Of course not all games are released everywhere so those figures are somewhat inflated compared to reality, but the GameCube having more software titles definitely helps it out when it comes to tie ratio (and software sales in general).

The lowest selling the console, the more core focused it is, the higher the attach-rate.

Wii U attach-rate is lower than NES, SNES, GC and Wii.
Only N64 and handhelds are lower.

It's not really high especially compared to Wii.

Completely true. This is why tie-ratio isn't the most reliable measure of the software selling power of any console; otherwise Wii U would be considered a software beast! (Did you know that the Wii U had a tie-ratio of 7.63? That's pretty much the same as the SNES!)

Tie-ratios mean nothing in isolation and at worst are completely misleading regarding a hardware platform's software selling power.

Last edited:
Errata Corrige:
When I checked several years ago the online reprint of the extract from the article "Famicom Development Story." from Nikkei Electronics issue May 9, 1994 that talked about Nintendo's dedicated game machines I have misread the number of the total units of Color TV Game 6/15 sold.
I've made the correction in the OP: from ~2M to ~1M.
The online article went offline since then so I've updated the link in the source post with the archived URL.

Dedicated LSI Game Console (essentially consoles whose game logic resides in the integrated circuits)
qH0ffLm.jpg

Note: More than 70% units sold were Color TV Game 15 consoles.

On a famous japanese sales data website there are the following sales figures break down for the Color TV series however I couldn't find a reliable source that back them so I won't add them in OP:

Color video games 6/15

Basic data
First generation stationary machine
Cumulative total of 1.2 million units

Color video game Racing 112

Basic data
Cumulative total of 160,000 units

Color video game block breaker

Basic data
Cumulative total of 400,000 units

Last edited:
The (slightly more than) 400K figure for the Color video game block breaker is sourced from an issue of Toy Journal from 1979 as reported in The History of Nintendo by Florent Gorges and Isao Yamazaki.
Same for the 160K figure for the Color video game Racing 112.
I'll think later on if include the data in OP.

Fun fact:
Color TV Game 15 heavily outselling the Color TV Game 6 despite the price disparity (Color TV Game 6 launch price: ¥9,800; Color TV Game 15 launch price: ¥15,000) was the only desirable outcome for Nintendo which is reflected on the marketing that favoured the more expensive model.
In fact Nintendo employed a shrewd business tactic launching two models concurrently that had pretty much the same hardware with the exception of the removable paddles and the different number of game variations (but theoretically all 15 game variations could be played on the Color TV Game 6 too).
The aim was to drive mindshare with the cheaper and purposedly flawed "Game 6" model which was sold at a loss while getting profits from the more expensive Color TV Game 15 that was the 'real' experience.
The cunning loss leader strategy worked and Nintendo obtained a big share of the dedicated LSI game console market in Japan.

Last edited:
The (slightly more than) 400K figure for the Color video game block breaker is sourced from an issue of Toy Journal from 1979 as reported in The History of Nintendo by Florent Gorges and Isao Yamazaki.
Same for the 160K figure for the Color video game Racing 112.
I'll think later on if include the data in OP.

Fun fact:
Color TV Game 15 heavily outselling the Color TV Game 6 despite the price disparity (Color TV Game 6 launch price: ¥9,800; Color TV Game 15 launch price: ¥15,000) was the only desirable outcome for Nintendo which is reflected on the marketing that favoured the more expensive model.
In fact Nintendo employed a shrewd business tactic launching two models concurrently that had pretty much the same hardware with the exception of the removable paddles and the different number of game variations (but theoretically all 15 game variations could be played on the Color TV Game 6 too).
The aim was to drive mindshare with the cheaper and purposedly flawed "Game 6" model which was sold at a loss while getting profits from the more expensive Color TV Game 15 that was the 'real' experience.
The cunning loss leader strategy worked and Nintendo obtained a big share of the dedicated LSI game console market in Japan.
I have two models. The Color 15 and the Breaker. The numbers until then were that all models combined would be at the 3 million mark. In this way, the projection is smaller. Even so, it was enough for Nintendo to be the market leader in the first generation of games.

Mario Games on Switch

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe:
53.79m
Super Mario Odyssey: 25.76m
Super Mario Party: 19.14m
New Super Mario Bros. U: 15.41m
Super Mario 3D World + BF: 11.38m
Mario Party Superstars: 10.17m
Super Mario 3D All-Stars: 9.07m
Super Mario Maker 2: 7.89m
Mario Tennis Aces: 4.28m
Paper Mario Origami King: 3.34m
Mario Strikers Battle League: 2.54m
Mario Golf Super Rush: 2.35m
Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle: 2.00m
Mario Kart Live Home Circuit: 1.58m

Total: 168.20m

Pokemon Games on Switch

Pokémon Sword/Shield:
25.82m
Pokémon Scarlet/Violet: 22.10m
Pokémon Let's Go: 15.07m
Pokémon BD/SP: 14.92m
Pokémon Legends Arceus: 14.83m
New Pokémon Snap!: 2.74m
Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: 1.89m
Pokkén Tournament DX: 1.54m

Total: 98.91 million

Mario Games on Switch

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe:
53.79m
Super Mario Odyssey: 25.76m
Super Mario Party: 19.14m
New Super Mario Bros. U: 15.41m
Super Mario 3D World + BF: 11.38m
Mario Party Superstars: 10.17m
Super Mario 3D All-Stars: 9.07m
Super Mario Maker 2: 7.89m
Mario Tennis Aces: 4.28m
Paper Mario Origami King: 3.34m
Mario Strikers Battle League: 2.54m
Mario Golf Super Rush: 2.35m
Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle: 2.00m
Mario Kart Live Home Circuit: 1.58m

Total: 168.20m

Pokemon Games on Switch

Pokémon Sword/Shield:
25.82m
Pokémon Scarlet/Violet: 22.10m
Pokémon Let's Go: 15.07m
Pokémon BD/SP: 14.92m
Pokémon Legends Arceus: 14.83m
New Pokémon Snap!: 2.74m
Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: 1.89m
Pokkén Tournament DX: 1.54m

Total: 98.91 million
Amazing numbers. Zelda will be the third franchise with the most sales on Switch.
Also, Metroid have a chance to sell more that in any other previous Nintendo platform.
I think the previous record is on the GameCube.

Amazing numbers. Zelda will be the third franchise with the most sales on Switch.
Also, Metroid have a chance to sell more that in any other previous Nintendo platform.
BotW alone sold more on Switch than the franchise sold on any other console.

BotW alone sold more on Switch than the franchise sold on any other console.
Truth.
In the next Nintendo console, the franchise will enter the “200 millions family”.
I think in actuality, the numbers are on par with the Sonic franchise.
Something between 145/160 millions copies sold.

It already is third and could be close to 65 million by June 30th if Zelda TotK can hit 20 million in it's opening quarter.

Zelda Breath of the Wild: 29.81 million
Zelda Link's Awakening: 6.08 million
Hyrule Warriors AOC: 4.00 million
Skyward Sword HD: 3.91 million

Total: 43.80 million

Last edited:
It already is third and could be at 65 million by June 30th if Zelda TotK can hit 20 million in it's opening quarter.

Zelda Breath of the Wild: 29.81 million
Zelda Link's Awakening: 6.08 million
Hyrule Warriors AOC: 4.00 million
Skyward Sword HD: 3.91 million
Hyrule Warriors DE: 1.00 million

Total: 44.80 million
Also, Cadence of Hyrule I imagine that have good sales.

Some games in The 3DS top 10 got a final increase last quarter, with the 3DS eshop now shutdown these numbers are final.

Mario Kart 7: 18.98m up from 18.97m
Pokemon X/Y: 16.68m up from 16.65m
Pokemon Sun/Moon: 16.30m up from 16.29m
Pokemon OR/AS: 14.57m up from 14.53m
Animal Crossing New Leaf: 13.04m up from 13.02m
Super Mario 3D Land: 12.87m up from 12.86m
Pokemon Ultra Sun/Moon: 9.15m up from 9.12m
Tomadachi Life: 6.72m up from 6.71m

Some games in The 3DS top 10 got a final increase last quarter, with the 3DS eshop now shutdown these numbers are final.

Mario Kart 7: 18.98m up from 18.97m
Pokemon X/Y: 16.68m up from 16.65m
Pokemon Sun/Moon: 16.30m up from 16.29m
Pokemon OR/AS: 14.57m up from 14.53m
Animal Crossing New Leaf: 13.04m up from 13.02m
Super Mario 3D Land: 12.87m up from 12.86m
Pokemon Ultra Sun/Moon: 9.15m up from 9.12m
Tomadachi Life: 6.72m up from 6.71m

Mario Kart for Wii got increases until 2020, so there likely will be a few more updates for 3DS as well.

That Pokemon Go bump really helped XY & SM. XY probably would've struggled to outsell BW without (maybe it would've squeaked by in the end). SM might have been the first generation starter to not exceed 15 million sales without the Pokemon Go bump and might have even been outsold by Yellow. ORAS still would've outsold HGSS but wouldn't have come as close to Yellow as it has. Not surprising that they would've had lower sales since the 3DS is their lowest selling handheld.

The sales of the first Pokémon game is a very difficult task to beat from any game.
Even from the same franchise.
Sword and Shield and Scarlet and Violet will not achieve this milestone.

Back
Top Bottom