• New Year, Betting, and Tickets

We have some new updates to share! Check out the thread here!

Nintendo software and hardware sales data from 1983 to present

SergioPL

Great revival for a series that deserves that.
I starting played Fire Emblem Fates this week!
The special edition.

SergioPL

Switch and Wii.
Both Nintendo consoles that surpass one billion games sold.
I know the Wii "only" sold 941 million, but I consider WiiWare and Virtual Console too (like Sony do, with your systems).

OP
OP
Celine

Celine

Archivist
AZfyEcs.jpg

Terrell

Pronouns
He/Him
Best fiscal year ever from Sega: 1992/1993
From Nintendo: 2009/2010
Pretty sure that best fiscal year from Nintendo you mentioned was eclipsed in 2019/2020 and then again in the following fiscal year.
Switch is now the most profitable hardware cycle from a single platform holder in industry history, if I recall correctly.

BTB123

Can't wait for TotK
Pretty sure that best fiscal year from Nintendo you mentioned was eclipsed in 2019/2020 and then again in the following fiscal year.
Switch is now the most profitable hardware cycle from a single platform holder in industry history, if I recall correctly.
I thought it was the fiscal year 2020/21 and then again 2021/22 with a big jump from the previous ones.

Terrell

Pronouns
He/Him
I thought it was the fiscal year 2020/21 and then again 2021/22 with a big jump from the previous ones.
Yeah, was a year behind with the years I posted. 2nd half of the post is still relevant, though, and FY03/2020 wasn’t that far behind that prior top profit watermark anyways.

SergioPL

Interesting, how Sony emerges the software sold beneath PlayStation 4 and 5 in one package.
Like Nintendo did with Game Boy/Game Boy Color.
I think this number, including download only titles.
So, in my opinion, Nintendo still ahead in software total sold.

BTB123

Can't wait for TotK

Interesting, how Sony emerges the software sold beneath PlayStation 4 and 5 in one package.
Like Nintendo did with Game Boy/Game Boy Color.
I think this number, including download only titles.
So, in my opinion, Nintendo still ahead in software total sold.
Nintendo considers Game Boy and Game Boy Color as different models of the same family, unlike PS4 and PS5.

SergioPL

I know. Your comparison just wasn't very fitting.
I wonder if they will stop combining them at some point.
For example, if we consider only exclusives Game Boy Color titles, the best selling game is Pokémon Crystal.
But, that’s only a matter of how to counting this kind of things.

SergioPL

Also, Nintendo counts the hardware of the both models combined too.
I think the Game Boy Pocket and the Light one is only a small redesign, but the Color is a new system.
They could count everything apart.

Pronouns
Him
Do we think Bayonetta 3 will get to 1 million by the time the quarter's results are up?

Also it's kind of crazy to me that the SNES has the second lowest amount of Nintendo-published million sellers out of any Nintendo console. I guess it shouldn't be too surprising given that the amount of IP Nintendo had then was lower (no Pokemon, Animal Crossing, or smaller franchises like Pikmin etc), and that they were still supporting Gameboy already, but still crazy.

SergioPL

Do we think Bayonetta 3 will get to 1 million by the time the quarter's results are up?

Also it's kind of crazy to me that the SNES has the second lowest amount of Nintendo-published million sellers out of any Nintendo console. I guess it shouldn't be too surprising given that the amount of IP Nintendo had then was lower (no Pokemon, Animal Crossing, or smaller franchises like Pikmin etc), and that they were still supporting Gameboy already, but still crazy.
It’s a strange situation indeed.
But the SNES software ratio for third party is the biggest one of all the Nintendo systems.
That’s explain a lot.

OP
OP
Celine

Celine

Archivist

fiendcode

Sony did the same "generations combined" obfuscation with PSP/Vita and PS3/PS4 hardware and software during their transitional years. It's annoying.

Also, Nintendo counts the hardware of the both models combined too.
I think the Game Boy Pocket and the Light one is only a small redesign, but the Color is a new system.
They could count everything apart.
Nintendo views GBC the same as DSi or new 3DS. The PlayStation equivalent to it would more be PS4 Pro.

Nintendo's pretty good about giving model breakdowns and subsets too (WAY better Sony and don't even get me started on MS), but it's patchier the further you go back in their older IR. I'd love if Nintendo gave us s historical accounting for everything some day, including the stuff that slipped between the cracks like Virtual Boy or Pokémon mini.

Last edited:

Luminoth 4545

Pronouns
He/Him
9-9.5M for the quarter is where I expect it to be.
You are thinking like me, i'm thinking 9.3 million. Also hope Switch breaks Nintendo's software record for a quarter, I think 90 million is possible.

October 1st to December 31st quarters that have hit over 70 million software shipments.

1. NSW - 85.40 million - 2021
2. Wii - 85.33 million - 2010
3. Wii - 82.37 million - 2008
4. Wii - 80.43 million - 2009
5. NDS - 78.76 million - 2008
6. NSW - 75.85 million - 2020
7. NDS - 71.39 million - 2007

SergioPL

Sony did the same "generations combined" obfuscation with PSP/Vita and PS3/PS4 hardware and software during their transitional years. It's annoying.

Nintendo views GBC the same as DSi or new 3DS. The PlayStation equivalent to it would more be PS4 Pro.

Nintendo's pretty good about giving model breakdowns and subsets too (WAY better Sony and don't even get me started on MS), but it's patchier the further you go back in their older IR. I'd love if Nintendo gave us s historical accounting for everything some day, including the stuff that slipped between the cracks like Virtual Boy or Pokémon mini.
I’d love something like that too.
Maybe in a form of a book, with all kind of information.
And talking about that, the software sales from the Virtual Boy it’s a thing that maybe we never know the real numbers.
Only thing certainly. Mario Tennis it’s the best selling game on the system.

Last edited:

Wockio

I wonder if Fire Emblem: Engage will be able to surpass Three Houses before the next console comes out.
A month later, now that we know most of what there is to know about the game, I'm gonna say no. It will overperform in Japan but it will be down from 3H everywhere else.

Kenka

Since we are guesstimating Switch's performance last quarter, I think it could have sold 8.2-8.5M hardware and 82-85M software.

I might be a bit enthusiastic with hardware.

SergioPL

Since we are guesstimating Switch's performance last quarter, I think it could have sold 8.2-8.5M hardware and 82-85M software.

I might be a bit enthusiastic with hardware.
With this, the bronze medal for the best selling console of all time pass to the Switch.
And in terms of software, 1 billion games (not counting the huge amounts of downloads only titles).
Pretty impressive!!

SergioPL

About the war of the 16 bits in the USA.
It’s true that Sega Genesis wins in 91/92/93?
And the SNES only wins in 94/95?
I think the Snes also wins in 93, but loses in 91 (due to a later launch) and 92 (year of the Sonic 2).
Just a thought.

Top Bottom