• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

Nintendo software and hardware sales data from 1983 to present

Great revival for a series that deserves that.
I starting played Fire Emblem Fates this week!
The special edition.

Switch and Wii.
Both Nintendo consoles that surpass one billion games sold.
I know the Wii "only" sold 941 million, but I consider WiiWare and Virtual Console too (like Sony do, with your systems).

AZfyEcs.jpg

Best fiscal year ever from Sega: 1992/1993
From Nintendo: 2009/2010
Pretty sure that best fiscal year from Nintendo you mentioned was eclipsed in 2019/2020 and then again in the following fiscal year.
Switch is now the most profitable hardware cycle from a single platform holder in industry history, if I recall correctly.

Pretty sure that best fiscal year from Nintendo you mentioned was eclipsed in 2019/2020 and then again in the following fiscal year.
Switch is now the most profitable hardware cycle from a single platform holder in industry history, if I recall correctly.
I thought it was the fiscal year 2020/21 and then again 2021/22 with a big jump from the previous ones.

I thought it was the fiscal year 2020/21 and then again 2021/22 with a big jump from the previous ones.
Yeah, was a year behind with the years I posted. 2nd half of the post is still relevant, though, and FY03/2020 wasn’t that far behind that prior top profit watermark anyways.

Interesting, how Sony emerges the software sold beneath PlayStation 4 and 5 in one package.
Like Nintendo did with Game Boy/Game Boy Color.
I think this number, including download only titles.
So, in my opinion, Nintendo still ahead in software total sold.

Interesting, how Sony emerges the software sold beneath PlayStation 4 and 5 in one package.
Like Nintendo did with Game Boy/Game Boy Color.
I think this number, including download only titles.
So, in my opinion, Nintendo still ahead in software total sold.
Nintendo considers Game Boy and Game Boy Color as different models of the same family, unlike PS4 and PS5.

I know. Your comparison just wasn't very fitting.
I wonder if they will stop combining them at some point.
For example, if we consider only exclusives Game Boy Color titles, the best selling game is Pokémon Crystal.
But, that’s only a matter of how to counting this kind of things.

Also, Nintendo counts the hardware of the both models combined too.
I think the Game Boy Pocket and the Light one is only a small redesign, but the Color is a new system.
They could count everything apart.

Do we think Bayonetta 3 will get to 1 million by the time the quarter's results are up?

Also it's kind of crazy to me that the SNES has the second lowest amount of Nintendo-published million sellers out of any Nintendo console. I guess it shouldn't be too surprising given that the amount of IP Nintendo had then was lower (no Pokemon, Animal Crossing, or smaller franchises like Pikmin etc), and that they were still supporting Gameboy already, but still crazy.

Do we think Bayonetta 3 will get to 1 million by the time the quarter's results are up?

Also it's kind of crazy to me that the SNES has the second lowest amount of Nintendo-published million sellers out of any Nintendo console. I guess it shouldn't be too surprising given that the amount of IP Nintendo had then was lower (no Pokemon, Animal Crossing, or smaller franchises like Pikmin etc), and that they were still supporting Gameboy already, but still crazy.
It’s a strange situation indeed.
But the SNES software ratio for third party is the biggest one of all the Nintendo systems.
That’s explain a lot.

Sony did the same "generations combined" obfuscation with PSP/Vita and PS3/PS4 hardware and software during their transitional years. It's annoying.

Also, Nintendo counts the hardware of the both models combined too.
I think the Game Boy Pocket and the Light one is only a small redesign, but the Color is a new system.
They could count everything apart.
Nintendo views GBC the same as DSi or new 3DS. The PlayStation equivalent to it would more be PS4 Pro.

Nintendo's pretty good about giving model breakdowns and subsets too (WAY better Sony and don't even get me started on MS), but it's patchier the further you go back in their older IR. I'd love if Nintendo gave us s historical accounting for everything some day, including the stuff that slipped between the cracks like Virtual Boy or Pokémon mini.

Last edited:
9-9.5M for the quarter is where I expect it to be.
You are thinking like me, i'm thinking 9.3 million. Also hope Switch breaks Nintendo's software record for a quarter, I think 90 million is possible.

October 1st to December 31st quarters that have hit over 70 million software shipments.

1. NSW - 85.40 million - 2021
2. Wii - 85.33 million - 2010
3. Wii - 82.37 million - 2008
4. Wii - 80.43 million - 2009
5. NDS - 78.76 million - 2008
6. NSW - 75.85 million - 2020
7. NDS - 71.39 million - 2007

Sony did the same "generations combined" obfuscation with PSP/Vita and PS3/PS4 hardware and software during their transitional years. It's annoying.

Nintendo views GBC the same as DSi or new 3DS. The PlayStation equivalent to it would more be PS4 Pro.

Nintendo's pretty good about giving model breakdowns and subsets too (WAY better Sony and don't even get me started on MS), but it's patchier the further you go back in their older IR. I'd love if Nintendo gave us s historical accounting for everything some day, including the stuff that slipped between the cracks like Virtual Boy or Pokémon mini.
I’d love something like that too.
Maybe in a form of a book, with all kind of information.
And talking about that, the software sales from the Virtual Boy it’s a thing that maybe we never know the real numbers.
Only thing certainly. Mario Tennis it’s the best selling game on the system.

Last edited:
I wonder if Fire Emblem: Engage will be able to surpass Three Houses before the next console comes out.
A month later, now that we know most of what there is to know about the game, I'm gonna say no. It will overperform in Japan but it will be down from 3H everywhere else.

Since we are guesstimating Switch's performance last quarter, I think it could have sold 8.2-8.5M hardware and 82-85M software.

I might be a bit enthusiastic with hardware.

Since we are guesstimating Switch's performance last quarter, I think it could have sold 8.2-8.5M hardware and 82-85M software.

I might be a bit enthusiastic with hardware.
With this, the bronze medal for the best selling console of all time pass to the Switch.
And in terms of software, 1 billion games (not counting the huge amounts of downloads only titles).
Pretty impressive!!

About the war of the 16 bits in the USA.
It’s true that Sega Genesis wins in 91/92/93?
And the SNES only wins in 94/95?
I think the Snes also wins in 93, but loses in 91 (due to a later launch) and 92 (year of the Sonic 2).
Just a thought.

With the upcoming Nintendo financial records, I think the Switch will achieve 1 billion sales games sold (not counting downloading only titles).
In my point of view, the Wii is the first Nintendo console to achieve that.
If the Big N, counts (like Sony) the downloading content, of course.

With the upcoming Nintendo financial records, I think the Switch will achieve 1 billion sales games sold (not counting downloading only titles).
In my point of view, the Wii is the first Nintendo console to achieve that.
If the Big N, counts (like Sony) the downloading content, of course.
Well, I believe the Wii reached 1 billion with sales of Virtual Console and WiiWare games. The Switch must already have around 10,000 games in its library! I believe that about 60% of these games do not have physical media.

Well, I believe the Wii reached 1 billion with sales of Virtual Console and WiiWare games. The Switch must already have around 10,000 games in its library! I believe that about 60% of these games do not have physical media.
It’s truth!
Myself brought 62 games for the Wii (virtual console/Wiiware).

Off topic: I brought Mario and Rabbids II, and so far,,,,,it’s awesome. Obviously for the people who dislike the first one, this not reinvent de wheel.
But with great graphics, humor and good of battle, I highly recommended.

Pokémon sales are also featured in the CESA White Books, right?

I would assume it was from Nintendo's IR site. It likely didn't change with the 2014 CESA White Paper so that's why it wasn't updated.
Did they use to have the top 10 GBA games there too? I looked through all the documents from their April 2013 financial report and nowhere was there any mention of any GBA game.

Where exactly were the Pokémon numbers updated as of March 2013? Where do I find the source?

I believe those are from CESA and you could say they are updated as of 2021 because the totals are still in the books and have not changed a bit.

Did they use to have the top 10 GBA games there too? I looked through all the documents from their April 2013 financial report and nowhere was there any mention of any GBA game.

Nintendos IR looked different back then, they the software top 10 with the DS generation and only around 2011 afaik.

Updated as of Dec 2022 + 2021 CESA White Papers

Please DM me for any mistakes so I can amend it.

TOP 3 GAMES PER CONSOLE
gIb48L2.png

Blue = Home Console ; Yellow = Handheld Console ; Green = Hybrid Console
Wii Sports had to be split in half since it was skewing the graph too much.

TOP 3 GAMES PER FRANCHISE
cgk2rAi.png

Top 3 Average Sales per Franchise
QvK5gcs.png

2D MARIO SALES
ghRAJEr.png

3D MARIO SALES
tnVwNWl.png

ANIMAL CROSSING SALES
FCFc3kZ.png

Blue = Home Console ; Yellow = Handheld Console

DONKEY KONG SALES
i5MZPZc.png

Titles marked with * lack official sales numbers

FIRE EMBLEM SALES
8iv1foO.png

Only includes Western released titles

F-ZERO SALES
Y49bIsy.png

KIRBY SALES
S3mDkDd.png

Blue = Handheld Console; Yellow = Home Console ; Green = Hybrid Console

LUIGI'S MANSION SALES
PSW6TNe.png

MARIO KART SALES
RV7oeZ5.png

MARIO PARTY SALES
NoBp7JX.png

MARIO RPG SALES
FQ98tJu.png

Blue = Paper Mario ; Yellow = Mario & Luigi

MARIO SPORTS SALES
RwkzuKi.png

Blue = Golf ; Yellow = Tennis; Green = Strikers; Orange = Baseball
METROID SALES
NFxeqho.png

PIKMIN SALES
gscNgYw.png

Blue = Home Console ; Yellow = Handheld Console; Green = Hybrid Console

POKEMON SALES
Ch9zN9f.png

Blue = Original Version ; Yellow = Third Version ; Green = Remake

SMASH BROS SALES
Uaqk3yY.png

SPLATOON SALES
JFmHbJl.png

Blue = Home Console ; Green = Hybrid Console

STAR FOX SALES
x628mdd.png

WARIO SALES
Ifr14my.png

Blue = Wario Land ; Yellow = Wario Ware

XENOBLADE SALES
7w5ro3y.png

YOSHI SALES
1AE8frI.png

2D ZELDA SALES
PbEhLgM.png

3D Zelda SALES
xS4OINI.png

NINTENDO HARDWARE SALES
nz4L3Wu.png

About Donkey Kong Country 2 for the GBA.
Some sources claims 1 million sales, others not.
Maybe we never know for certainly.

Back
Top Bottom