• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

Do you think Playstation will reach its 25m target for the FY ?

Do you think Playstation will reach its 25m target for the FY ?

• Yes, it will sell 25m !

Votes: 22 9.7%
  • No, but it will barely miss it (24m-25m)

Votes: 40 17.6%
  • No, it will miss it by a fair margin (<24m)

Votes: 165 72.7%

• Total voters
I don't get why Sony targeted so aggressively. Feels like it's just gonna earn them a lot of less-than-flattering headlines.
Pandemic demand was a mirage everyone fell for.

Had there been regular supply, 2022 would've been a clear peak year and 2023 an expected downturn.

But no, demand wasn't satisfied just yet leaving 2022 and Q1 2023 was insane because of it.

Even the new target is too lofty imo. They're finishing Q3 with ~4m in channel, there's almost no chance they can stuff 4.6m into Q4. Honestly even 20m will be a stretch now.

Even the new target is too lofty imo. They're finishing Q3 with ~4m in channel, there's almost no chance they can stuff 4.6m into Q4. Honestly even 20m will be a stretch now.
Not sure how you got that number. It was 50 million sell through after the 9th in December. 54.8 million shipped by the end of the year. Probably closer to 2 million difference then 4.

I was sure 25 million would not happen, but they will miss the target by a lot, I was expecting better sales for PS5.

Not sure how you got that number. It was 50 million sell through after the 9th in December. 54.8 million shipped by the end of the year. Probably closer to 2 million difference then 4.
Ah, I thought the 50m was for the 20th. Even still, 2m or 3m or whatever, stuffing to 4.6m in Q1 is unrealistic imo.

That won't work, they should lower their expectations by 5 million.
Surprise, surprise...

Sony seem to be resistant to learning and cling to 21 million, but well, if they want to fall flat on their face then go ahead.

Yeah, these are good/great numbers and yet it paints a negative outcome just because of that lofty initial target

Thise rumors about halve production in China sound more reliable now

Damn. Not sure if anyone keeps track but missing your target by 4-5 million must be something of a record. Obviously PS5 is still an absolute juggernaut but I guess that just shows how wild their forecast was.

Also whilst I do think PS5 has peaked i wouldn’t underestimate the potential of a HW revisions and GTA6. With Xbox dead and buried this gen and no PC version we’re going to see some serious PS5 HW moved when that shit drops.

Damn. Not sure if anyone keeps track but missing your target by 4-5 million must be something of a record. Obviously PS5 is still an absolute juggernaut but I guess that just shows how wild their forecast was.

Also whilst I do think PS5 has peaked i wouldn’t underestimate the potential of a HW revisions and GTA6. With Xbox dead and buried this gen and no PC version we’re going to see some serious PS5 HW moved when that shit drops.

I think the effect of GTA VI on hardware is being overestimated, not saying will not have an impact, but I don't think will be so big because a lot of GTA players certainly already entered in this gen.

Plus Xbox isn't dead and buried, it remains on the market and can also attract some players on the GTA hype train.

Depending HW revision price. Oh it might again selling at loss and thus tanking their profits.

I think the effect of GTA VI on hardware is being overestimated, not saying will not have an impact, but I don't think will be so big because a lot of GTA players certainly already entered in this gen.
Xbox Series selling less than Xbox One and PS is still behind PS4....I don't think there will be some miracle for Playstation either.

Plus Xbox isn't dead and buried, it remains on the market and can also attract some players on the GTA hype train.
That’s certainly a possibility. GTAVI is probably going to be the biggest game launch of all time, that’s going to bring a lot of interest and not just from GTA players.

Maybe dead and buried is the wrong word choice but it’s already getting dwarfed by PS5 and I don’t see that situation improving. I personally think most of the HW being driven by GTAVI will be heading towards PS.

Sony expects gradual hardware decline next year too though. I wonder if R* doesn't reevaluate their platform strategy for GTA6 and just bite the bullet on day one PC?

If GTA6 is releasing June 2025, PS5 installbase will be ~82m by then and XBS ~33m. T2 will be fine with ~115m installbase and potential hardware boost on GTA6 release and byond.

If GTA6 is releasing June 2025, PS5 installbase will be ~82m by then and XBS ~33m. T2 will be fine with ~115m installbase and potential hardware boost on GTA6 release and byond.
Sony isn't doing 28m in the next 18 months. I doubt they even target that high, they already said they expect a hardware decline next FY.

What size userbase did GTAV launch to?

GTA6 will be very interesting to see. It will probably come out after the next FY or right at the end. I’m most interested in the comparison with the then much talked about Fortnite/PUBG effect that helped hardware sales last generation. Will be interesting to compare how they compare.

Sony isn't doing 28m in the next 18 months. I doubt they even target that high, they already said they expect a hardware decline next FY.

A cursory google search shows around 160 million in november of 2013, GTAV launched in September.
ATCheFS.png

Sony expects gradual hardware decline next year too though. I wonder if R* doesn't reevaluate their platform strategy for GTA6 and just bite the bullet on day one PC?
I think GTA attachment rate will be quite high. Like it should be bigger than Elden Ring, Hogwarts on just consoles.

~82m is feasible unless PS5 sales tank to 15m next FY. I expect 19m next FY.

21m seems extremely doable
Doable but missable too IMHO.

I don't get why Sony targeted so aggressively. Feels like it's just gonna earn them a lot of less-than-flattering headlines.
They eat into their own hype fueled by the pandemic demand and the dynamics brought in by the ensuing manufacturing shortages.

Last edited:
I wonder why Sony put such a lofty target goal that always seemed very hard to reach. Nintendo usually are more realistic when they put out their Switch target goals because they don't want to risk going under their target goal for the FY.

That’s certainly a possibility. GTAVI is probably going to be the biggest game launch of all time, that’s going to bring a lot of interest and not just from GTA players.

Maybe dead and buried is the wrong word choice but it’s already getting dwarfed by PS5 and I don’t see that situation improving. I personally think most of the HW being driven by GTAVI will be heading towards PS.
Or Microsoft could go very agressive and make a marketing deal for GTA VI.

Or Microsoft could go very agressive and make a marketing deal for GTA VI.
Considering that they are even planning to give their games to Playstation, I don't think they will even bother with GTA marketing. It will also be more expensive for them than for Playstation anyway. Plus no PC release.

The problem is more that less that 3 million in the channel is honestly low for them in the holiday season. I was expecting more like 10 million this quarter. Makes me wonder if retailers aren't requesting as much stock. That is what might be bringing down shipments to below 20 million.

21M is pie in the sky. No way.

So we're looking at what realistically, 18-19M then? That would be a 6-7M miss on hardware forecasts. Maybe 20M if everything goes their way?

Was expecting them to get much closer to their forecast than that. 22-23M was my initial expectation. Now 20M is the highest I see happening.

Back when Nintendo missed their aggressive Switch HW forecast their stock price tumbled and we got a whole slate of Nintendoomed news articles, surely the same will happen to Sony now right...?

I’ll be completely honest, I don’t think it will, really.

Like many said, I think Sony might’ve overestimated pandemic demand. We’ll see what happens in Q4 but yeah.

Back when Nintendo missed their aggressive Switch HW forecast their stock price tumbled and we got a whole slate of Nintendoomed news articles, surely the same will happen to Sony now right...?
Don't think so, Nintendo always seems more likely to be declared doomed over Sony Playstation. Probably because of failures such as Camecube and Wii U previously.

Sony already know what they shipped in month and half of 4Q, along with sell trough. If they cant get this Q FC right then they may as well stop providing that information in future.
We knew 25m was unrealistic back in September too. Sony being over ambitious with targets isn't exactly new.

8.2mil for Q3... I guess record breaking Q3 didn't happen... probably won't happen in Q4 either

Sony already know what they shipped in month and half of 4Q, along with sell trough. If they cant get this Q FC right then they may as well stop providing that information in future.

70% of users voted in the poll already knew PS5 would ship lower than 24 mil. Yet Sony still insisted on 25 mil target in last earning call. What makes you think they actually know better this time? It's more likely than not that they are going to miss 21 mil target too.

8.2mil for Q3... I guess record breaking Q3 didn't happen... probably won't happen in Q4 either

70% of users voted in the poll already knew PS5 would ship lower than 24 mil. Yet Sony still insisted on 25 mil target in last earning call. What makes you think they actually know better this time? It's more likely than not that they are going to miss 21 mil target too.
I am not totally sure with Sony's cadence but I would figure you don't want to announce you'll miss you FY target before the biggest season of the year occurs. They likely knew but there are probably other strategic reasons to wait until after the Q3 report to cut your forecast. One of them being that you will be deeper into Q4 when you give the revision.

I would agree, if they don't know what they are going to ship in the next month and a half, that's wildly problematic. I feel it's pretty rare to miss reduced projections like this.

Sony already knew 25 million wasn't gonna happen, but only changed the forecast now.

They can easily just have chosen to not drop the target more, softening the disappointment.

4.6m on Q4 sounds to high.

We knew 25m was unrealistic back in September too. Sony being over ambitious with targets isn't exactly new.
Just to hammer this in, Sony knew what they had shipped in October and what they were shipping in November when they said 25M was still the goal, and then they only shipped 8.2M that quarter.

Sony saying they want 4.6M this quarter is just cope to investors so they don't say "yeah so we're cutting our forecast by nearly 6M, don't sell that stock please".

If Rockstar actually stops messing around and launch day and date with PC (Steam), their pre-orders/day 1 numbers would be so gargantuan no other piece of entertainment would ever come close until.... well GTA VII

VI for sure will release to a smaller user base than V did, but hey maybe Rockstar really loves that staggered launch strategy.

Well, not 25 anymore. But maybe 21?? Looks like another price cut incoming across Europe at least. Saw slashed prices for around 70 euros
21 Million is not a guarantee either. PS5 hardware is down over 100K YTD vs last year in Japan. PS5 sales were down 17% in the UK in January. I expect the US will have a decent drop as well.

They might still hit it but I would bet more on 20-20.5.

21 Million is not a guarantee either. PS5 hardware is down over 100K YTD vs last year in Japan. PS5 sales were down 17% in the UK in January. I expect the US will have a decent drop as well.

They might still hit it but I would bet more on 20-20.5.
Just to add to this, there has probably been a bit over 100k Spider-man bundles sold since the beginning of the year...but those bundles were delivered in December when the started selling the promotion based on Famitsu's sell through estimates. So shipments will be further down.

Hum... I'm going to make a bold prediction that no, it will not make it!

I am a farseer, knower of distant truths. Witness my powers!

I don't think they'll make their revised target either.

Hum... I'm going to make a bold prediction that no, it will not make it!

I am a farseer, knower of distant truths. Witness my powers!

I don't think they'll make their revised target either.
The software also isn’t there to move as many units of hardware as they forecast.

PS5 was up in Europe in January, yes.
I believe the data you are referring to does not cover UK or Germany and the total consoles sold (including switch + Xbox) was only 475,000.

That's not going to make their forecast come true with a slight increase vs last year

Back
Top Bottom