• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

Do you think Playstation will reach its 25m target for the FY ?

Do you think Playstation will reach its 25m target for the FY ?

• Yes, it will sell 25m !

Votes: 22 9.7%
  • No, but it will barely miss it (24m-25m)

Votes: 40 17.6%
  • No, it will miss it by a fair margin (<24m)

Votes: 165 72.7%

• Total voters
Looking at how things are going my guess now is that they're gonna miss their target by 3-4 million unless they suddenly rock us with a massive deal or some unexpected markets sell massive numbers of consoles... which seems unlikely.

It's anedoctal, of course, but here in Brazil we're seeing the biggest push yet for PS5 those past few months. We're seeing constant supply for the first time ever and some official temporary reductions on MSRP (which means actual prices on stores are the lowest they've been). And my own friends list went from almost entirely PS4 icons to almost entirely PS5's.

I still don't believe Sony will reach their 25m target, but I wonder if the emerging markets will be that extra push to make them at least come closer to it. As at least in Brazil they seem to be selling unprecedentedly well.

The only way that would work is if their Q4 exceeds the one of last year which I dont see happening. Also arent Q4 sales usually the lowest out of all the quarters?

The only way that would work is if their Q4 exceeds the one of last year which I dont see happening. Also arent Q4 sales usually the lowest out of all the quarters?
Q2 is often the lowest. At least with the Switch. Not sure wether that's also the case with Playstation.

I think Something like this for Q3

NA - 3.3M
EU - 4.4M
JP - 0.8M
Other - 1.3M

Total - 9.8M

I dont think that EU alone (without 'Others') will be 33% higher than NA. In November, NA was around 1.2 Mio and EU around 1.4 Mio - so 15% higher. But lets wait and see

It's interesting because in the Insomniac dataleak it appears the Americas are a larger market than EMEA going by subs.

Anyone know what the sell-in numbers and the weeks was for the last earnings report.

50m (sell something, I can't tell cause paywall) after 160 weeks
Screenshot_20231220_101325.jpg

Capture_decran_2023-12-20_a_14.20.16.png

Capture_decran_2023-12-20_a_14.21.29.png

By September 30th they shipped 46,6 million units, I can’t find the sell through number.
Post automatically merged:

Surely it's sellthrough, shipped would be terrible lol
It’s sell through, PS4 crossed 50 million units sold to costumers on Dec 6th 2016 which would match what the article says.

By September 30th they shipped 46,6 million units, I can’t find the sell through number.
The most recent sell-through milestone shared by Sony was on July 16th, 2023, when the system crossed the 40 millions threshold

With the support of PlayStation fans, we have reached a milestone of 40 million PS5 consoles sold through* to gamers since launch. Thank you so much to our community of gamers – without you this would have been an impossible task.

[...]

*As of the week ending July 16, 2023

Last edited:
The most recent sell-through milestone shared by Sony was on July 27th, 2023, when the system crossed the 40 millions threshold

There is an asterix that actually says they crossed 40 million on July 16th. That would mean they sold 10 million consoles to consumers in less than 5 months.

Remarkable sales pace. It caught up to the PS4 very quickly and should surpass it launch aligned despite the price increases. Very impressive how people seem to be much more willing to pay high prices than for the PS4.

as soon as the stock availability imrpoved, they were able to catch-up with PS4
not bad!
I still expect a "negative" rebound next year, but pretty limited: this console will pass over 120mil easily in terms of LT sales imho

They aren't reaching 25M. It's impossible. 50M sold through as of 3 weeks before end of the year. Same time for PS4, it reached 53.4M sold through by end of 2016. Ampere is estimating PS5 will reach that by end of 2023.

PS5 shipping 25M units by March 2024 is a LTD 63.4M shipments. 53.4M sold through at end of 2023 would need something ridiculous like 5M units in shipment/sitting on shelves, which would be 58.4M. Sony would then need to ship another 5M PS5's in Q1 2024 even though they'd have 5M unsold to begin the year.

23M might be the high end right now, and that's being generous on how many additional units Sony will be able to get away with shipping. They aren't replicating the Q1 2023 6.3M result.

Last edited:
Amids rumors from Taiwan that Sony is going to halve the production rate for PS5 (and that Microsoft will outright stop the production of Xbox Series for the quarter), it was just announced a €75 price cut for PS5 Slim (disc drive) valid until February 25th in major retail chains in Italy and I suppose across Europe (at least it is in France).
The deal is already online on Amazon IT and FR and other chains.

That seems like fairly big news... maybe worthy of a new thread?

Amids unconfirmed news from Taiwan that Sony is going to halve the production rate for PS5 (and that Microsoft will outright stop the production of Xbox Series for the quarter), it was just announced a €75 price cut for PS5 Slim (disc drive) valid until February 25th in major retail chains in Italy and I suppose across Europe (at least it is in France).
The deal is already online on Amazon IT and FR and other chains.
Might be the latest nail in the coffin to the 25m dream. I expect Sony to cut down their hardware forecast in two days, by at least a couple of millions.

Might be the latest nail in the coffin to the 25m dream. I expect Sony to cut down their hardware forecast in two days, by at least a couple of millions.
They were planning to sell 25m by the next quarter right? I guess this discounts are still the part of 25m?

Just received the Italian PR: it's selling very well here so this must be channel-stuff related for sure

It was always clear that 550 € is simply too much in Europe to match PS4. The official price cut should come in the second half of the year.

And regarding the article mentioned above I quote myself:

„It is understood“ is a pretty vague way of speach.
If we include the production pause around the Chinese new year this would mean not even 1 million PS5 units produced in the first quarter which would be disastrous. We already know that the MWIII bundle is sold out and that the Spider-Man 2 bundle is sold out in Japan and most countries. So this would most probably only leave the normal consoles. And yes it is very possible that Sony produced a vast amount of them.
But…
Are the companies named in the article the only suppliers? How are the numbers compared to a normal Q1 because ordering somewhat less is normal?
Most likely the contract was for up to 1 million units per month from this specific companies. And now the final order was made. And again we lack comparisons to last year or other Q1.
At the very least we should wait for next weeks numbers before making definitive conclusions.

They are miles off the 25m target, like this is probably the most I remember Sony or Nintendo being under one of their projected hardware target in recent years.

8.2 million in Q3 is very low.
Even PS4 shipped 9.7 million units in the same period.
It seems that the record number of shipments was a lie.

Why is 20M hard? If they match last Q4 they'll be at nearly 23M...unless I'm missing something here.
Wasn't the last Q4 an exception? Isn't it the quarter that the stock problems are solved?
And The recent Asian shipment reduction news(or leak?)

Wasn't the last Q4 an exception? Isn't it the quarter that the stock problems are solved?
And The recent Asian shipment reduction news(or leak?)
Ah yes you're right. Doubt they'll match that, but not sure how much lower they'll end up selling.

50M sold throught(December 9)
54.8M shipment(End of 2023)
If we add the estimated sales for the rest of the December, the overstock situation started to return to normal/return to normal
I don't understand this with this numbers

8.2M shipped over the holiday quarter is quite a bit lower than I expected. There must have been a decent amount of excess stock before the holiday quarter. For comparison's sake, PS4 shipped 9.7M during the equivalent period in its lifespan (holiday quarter of 2016).

The 25M forecast is obviously toast, I guess ~20M will be the new goal.

Back
Top Bottom