• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

2023 STEAM Concurrent Players (CCU) Official Watch Thread

Also, you know which game is slowing down? The Day Before

A little leak of how things were going refund wise :

fantxs8fvo5c1.png

Lol, lmao even. Funniest game ever, I expect that refund number to climb to some absurd percentage today as people realize no support for the game will be coming.

It has now been removed from sale

There is no way the Fntastic shutdown situation isn't a scam, right?

as fast as it happened, it's hard not to see it as such

The issue with this idea is that Steam only sends the revenue at the end of the(following?) month/at least 30 days after.
If they wanted to scam successfully, they needed to continue "fixing" the game for at least a month to get maximum revenue. With how fast they've ran away from the game, which will cause even more mass refunds, they'll make a very little amount of money.

Just a bizarre situation. But yeah, this was always going to be a trainwreck. But I didn't imagine it derailing THIS quickly.

But one thing for sure, the market for a multiplayer survival multiplayer shooter in a sprawling city environment w/ zombies is ripe for the taking.
I'm looking at you Naughty Dog and Ubisoft and whoever else. It's kind of crazy that all these years have passed and the remaining King is still Day-Z with all its jankyness.

They did announce The Division 3, but that probably isn't coming out until 2028.

I mean, there's Heartland from Red Storm and Division: Resurgence from Ubisoft, but yeah a Massive Division is far in the future. Avatar doesn't look like it'll have the success they hoped for when they signed that deal, but maybe Outlaws has a better chance.

Valve just announced they're doing more sales next year: https://steamcommunity.com/groups/steamworks/announcements/detail/3788151013299508612

I mean, there's Heartland from Red Storm and Division: Resurgence from Ubisoft, but yeah a Massive Division is far in the future. Avatar doesn't look like it'll have the success they hoped for when they signed that deal, but maybe Outlaws has a better chance.

Not being able to launch alongside the movie probably really hurt it, at least it might have a future as a pc benchmark title whenever it's on sale/hit steam because it's just gorgeous. Maybe The Division 3 will be able to hit the visuals they showcased at e3 2013 :p

Maybe The Division 3 will be able to hit the visuals they showcased at e3 2013 :p

I know it's a joke, but yeah, easily :LOL:
I checked the trailer out and even the impressive density, for the time, is nothing compared to what's being done right now, let alone in 5 years. There's no RT as well.

I don't know how The Division 3 is going to look on consoles but on PC... Enthusiasts are going to run that shit on 6090s and 7090s. It will require all the power of your house, but it'll look beautiful.

Hopefully the setting is back to snow, the vibes are just better that way. But maybe it's just my Canadian ass speaking here.

#1 - Steam Deck
#2 - Counter-Strike 2
#3 - PUBG
#4 - Lethal Company
#5 - Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader
#6 - Cyberpunk 2077(Expansion is at #13)
#7 - The Finals
#8 - Apex Legends
#9 - Call of Duty
#10 - Baldur's Gate 3

BG3 survives yet another week, same placement as last Steam sales, #10.
This time, the game saved by the Doritos Pope himself.

The Day before is at #14, but let's be real. It's probably at something like 80%+ refund at this point and will keep climbing, lmao.

Lethal Company continues to sell a gazillion copies.

Last edited:
I wonder how many units Lethal Company is selling every week considering The Day Before sold about 200k copies in a few hours at a much higher base price and landed 10 positions below it, although it is possible that the charts also account for refunds.

BG3 might do better next week since it seems to be around #4/5 since the weekend and(I think) there are no large sales this week, but there could always be battle passes or whatever for all these live service games šŸ¤®

I wonder how many units Lethal Company is selling every week considering The Day Before sold about 200k copies in a few hours at a much higher base price and landed 10 positions below it, although it is possible that the charts also account for refunds.

All I know is that it has to be a lot considering the price the game cost.

BG3 might do better next week since it seems to be around #4/5 since the weekend and(I think) there are no large sales this week, but there could always be battle passes or whatever for all these live service games šŸ¤®

Hating on free games, lul.

Also, Starfield is somewhere in the the #150-160 range atm. Crazy the different reception to the two RPGs when the games are at full price. Even at 30% Starfield only managed #50 last week.
Starfield is going to need that Ubisoft discount strategy of being part of as many sales as possible to stay active in selling copies.

Pioneers of Pagonia (EA) Day 1 CCU Record - 6,478
Ready or Not 1.0 release day CCU Record - 49,315

Baldur's Gate 3 24h Peak CCU - 138,242
This number is still higher than Last Monday's 24h Peak of 137,656
With these kind of numbers, its seems pretty likely that it continues the trend of doing higher CCU numbers weekend. That would be mean the 3rd weekend in a row the game has grown in CCU rather than decrease since post Patch #5. Still too early to definitively say that, but it's looking more likely than not.

Edit : Small Update, Ready or Not new Day 1 CCU Record during NA evening times - 51,535

Last edited:
Granblue Rising has soem of the worst regional pricing I've ever seen so that number could've been a lot higher.

Granblue Fantasy Versus, since it's inception, was a product that could've been so much more.
Cygames seemingly didn't give Arc System Works the budget required for their intended goal, a lot of poor decision making all around.

This whole attempt at a westward expansion via the console market with Fantasy Versus and Relink has been quite the tumultuous period for Cygames.

I'm really curious about how hard Relink will bomb, especially since it's sandwiched between Persona 3 Remake and FF7 Rebirth.

Friday comparison for Baldur's Gate 3 week to week :

Last Friday's peak CCU - 129 357
This Friday's peak CCU - 138,921

Since Patch 5 dropped, it's the now the second Friday in a row where the game has done better than the previous one.

Peaked at 143,393 today a smaller increase than last week's, but still pretty good.

Destiny 2 something really weird happened, Epic Games Store was added to the data! And it was quite big. Of 822k players, it broke down
268k ps
206k steam
203k xbox
143k EGS

this data was for dec 14/15, and it seems that egs was giving away something called destiny 2 legacy collection (shadowkeep, beyond light and Witch Queen, MSRP 59.99) for free on dec 13 only (they are giving away a free game each day). which i didnt know existed. but could have boosted egs numbers a lot i assume. also one of bungie problem is how confusing and expensive it is to catch up on all the d2 content, so apparently they're finally taking a step to address that with this "legacy collection".

anyways we'll be able to track egs numbers in destiny going forward.

also first time i recall xbox numbers below steam. but compared to ps xbox is still quite healthy.

822k overall is not bad, although it probably should be at 1m, but theyre likely artificially boosted by the egs giveaway.

GTA 24hour CCU Peak - 274,196

Highest CCU since the Steam launch, passing the Feb 2020 CCU Peak of 269,460.

Beside the fact that the game has been on sales for the last 2 weeks, NoPixel 4.0 (big GTA V RP Server) just released.
In fact, it released after the Peak of yesterday, so I expect this number to grow even higher this weekend.
There's also some twitch drops for "GTA RP Week" From the 15th to the 21st.

The game is ahead by about 60k~ CCUs from yesterday at the same time.
6:00 UTC Yesterday - 134,202
6:00 UTC Today - 192,663

GTA 24hour CCU Peak - 274,196

Highest CCU since the Steam launch, passing the Feb 2020 CCU Peak of 269,460.

Beside the fact that the game has been on sales for the last 2 weeks, NoPixel 4.0 (big GTA V RP Server) just released.
In fact, it released after the Peak of yesterday, so I expect this number to grow even higher this weekend.
There's also some twitch drops for "GTA RP Week" From the 15th to the 21st.

The game is ahead by about 60k~ CCUs from yesterday at the same time.
6:00 UTC Yesterday - 134,202
6:00 UTC Today - 192,663

It's at 290,275 right now

Starfield is going to need that Ubisoft discount strategy of being part of as many sales as possible to stay active in selling copies.

Not sure about that because MS aim is to sell GP subs. SF pretty much flopped on Steam post launch. Now "must played games" on XB is good metric to judge how SF is doing as unit sales there will be minimum because of GP.

Doubt SF will reach 5 million units anytime soon.

BG3 went up 5 spots, thanks Geoff.

Big jump, wonder if it'll survive this week's Winter Sales.

Baldur's Gate 3 and Starfield's CCU comps yesterday.

BG3
Peak EU : 156,308
Peak NA : 147,071

Starfield
Peak EU : 14,951
Peak NA : 12,177

EU Evening Differential : 14,951*10 = 149510 = x10
NA Evening Differential : 12,177*12 = 146124 = x12

The gap is widening still, it is especially pronounced in the Americas time zone.
TGA effect probably bigger due to the event being from NA.

Big jump, wonder if it'll survive this week's Winter Sales.

Baldur's Gate 3 and Starfield's CCU comps yesterday.

Probably not, it usually hovers at around #12-15 during sales.

BG3
Peak EU : 156,308
Peak NA : 147,071

Starfield
Peak EU : 14,951
Peak NA : 12,177

EU Evening Differential : 14,951*10 = 149510 = x10
NA Evening Differential : 12,177*12 = 146124 = x12

The gap is widening still, it is especially pronounced in the Americas time zone.
TGA effect probably bigger due to the event being from NA.

Larian to Bethesda:

CLtHvkm.jpeg

Even if it overperforms, DotA 2 and CoD seems to be hanging around well in the last few days over BG3 with their new season/content, it might really be joever.

It had to end someday I guess.

Unfortunate, but it'll probably go back up to top 10 once the sale is over

House Flipper 2 has sold 131k units in its first 72 hours. It generated 4.3 million USD in gross sales, 2.6 million USD in net sales, costs are fully recouped (8 million PLN dev costs + 1.3 million PLN marketing costs). Top 3 markets are US, Germany and UK.

Source

House Flipper 2 has sold 131k units in its first 72 hours. It generated 4.3 million USD in gross sales, 2.6 million USD in net sales, costs are fully recouped (8 million PLN dev costs + 1.3 million PLN marketing costs). Top 3 markets are US, Germany and UK.

Source

Thanks for the info, seems like a highly profitable product in the making, especially as the years and discounts/bundles go by.
I checked the first game and it had a couple DLC packs, so I assume this will have those as well to boost revenue further.

If you bought The Day Before and haven't refunded it yet, you will get a refund. And servers will die on Jan 22. Wonder if players will spike

With a very modest 10% sale the answer seems to be yes. It's been pegged at #1 globally since the sale started.

Yeah, I did not expect a discount considering it was still selling a lot and it had the Japanese translation releasing on the 21st. But there's probably metrics from publishers that shows that just being on sales, no manner how minor, for the big Winter/Summer sales that just makes you generate that much more revenue for that period.

Alright so it's been a bit more than 24 hours since the Winter Sale has begun.

Let's explore the landscape, shall we?
I will note if the games have had a new lowest discount.

Baldur's Gate 3 #1 ( first ever discount, 10% off )
Steam Deck the Gate Keeper #2 (to be fair, the Steam Deck and Elden Ring trade places quite often during the day)
Elden Ring #3 ( first time 40% off )
CP2077 #4 ( this game is always within the Top 10 when it goes at 50% )
Lethal Company #6 ( what great legs )
EAFC24 #7 ( first time 60% off )
Hogwarts Legacy #9 ( first time 50% off)
CP277 Expansion #10
CP Ultimate Edition #11

Persona 5 Royal #19 ( first time 50% off )
Sekiro GotY Edition #23
Lies of P #25 ( You love to see it )
Remnant #26 ( first time 40% off)

RE4R #30 ( First time 50% off )
Diablo 4 #37
Dave The Diver #38

God of War #42 ( First time 50% off, the sales began Dec 14 though )
Warhammer 40k Rogue Trader #45 ( Still full price, the game is seemingly selling very well )
RoboCop: Rogue City #49

Skyrim #51
Mortal Kombat 1 #52 ( first time 50% off )
Divinity Original Sin 2 #56 ( first time 70% off)
Starfield #58

Spider-Man Remastered #63
Mass Effect Legendary Edition #67 ( first time at 90% off, they're giving that shit away for free almost )
The Last of Us Part I #69

Witcher 3(Regular Edition) #80
Like A Dragon Gaiden #83 ( first ever discount, 25% off )
Sea of Stars #86 ( first time 20% off )

Thanks, hopefully we'll get a Best of 2023 next week then. Very curious about how BG3 will stack up against the GAAS giants.

Hopefully Platinum, but I guess I wouldn't be shocked if it was "only" Gold since it sold a fair chunk of copies during its EA period. Probably not as comparable to those as some games that release normally.

Back
Top Bottom