• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

2023 STEAM Concurrent Players (CCU) Official Watch Thread

Hololive fangames which feature the VTuber agency's talents already have two fairly large free-to-play games on Steam: Holocure, which had peak concurrent players of 46k and Idol Showdown, which had 10k peak concurrent players. However, today's release of HoloParade is notable in that it is the debut game under the recently announced holo indie publishing label, which allows Hololive fan games that have been approved to be sold for money on Steam.

As of this post, HoloParade has a peak concurrent player count of just under 7k players. Just after its launch on Steam, Hololive talents Sakura Miko and Usada Pekora both played HoloParade on their YouTube streams to a concurrent viewership of around 40,000 each.

As of this post, HoloParade has a peak concurrent player count of just under 7k players. Just after its launch on Steam, Hololive talents Sakura Miko and Usada Pekora both played HoloParade on their YouTube streams to a concurrent viewership of around 40,000 each.

The game managed to hit #2 on the JP sales list and the game is at #42 on the Global list.

Staying within Japan, last night Street Fighter 6 made the first non-release wave of costumes available to the public.
Obviously it is #1 in Japan because of that, but it is also currently #8 globally.
Those Juri and Chun-Li and Marisa costumes are making BANK.

Furthermore, the peak CCU for the game today was 32,442. The peak launch CCU for this game was 70,573.
For a fighting game on its 6th month to have almost half the players playing the game at the same time as the launch is just crazy unheard of, especially this is purely a cosmetic update.

Apocalypse Party Day 1 CCU Record - 6,024
SteamWorld Build Day 1 CCU Record - 2,921
Last Train Home new CCU Record - 4,146
TEVI new CCU Record - 4,249

Last but not least...

Lethal Company new CCU Record - 215,134
Game is currently #1 on the global list over the SteamDeck, after being #2 pretty much the whole week.
The game is currently #1 in Canada and #1 in the US, so it's clear a lot of people are buying this game this evening(more than they already were during the week!)in preparation for play tonight/this weekend.

The game grew about 28k~ CCUs from Friday to Sunday last week, curious to see what happens this weekend.

It's crazy to look at the developer's history and see that the highest peak concurrents that they had prior to Lethal Company was less than 50 people.

It's crazy to look at the developer's history and see that the highest peak concurrents that they had prior to Lethal Company was less than 50 people.

Before those games the developer was mostly fooling around in Roblox.

Their twitter acc : https://twitter.com/ZeekerssRBLX
If their bio is to be believed, they're 21 years old.
I bet you their parents probably trying to prepare them for tax season for this year lmao.
Imagine being a young adult and making 8 digit revenue in the span of less than 2 months.

Lethal Company new CCU Record - 215,134
Game is currently #1 on the global list over the SteamDeck, after being #2 pretty much the whole week.
The game is currently #1 in Canada and #1 in the US, so it's clear a lot of people are buying this game this evening(more than they already were during the week!)in preparation for play tonight/this weekend.

The game grew about 28k~ CCUs from Friday to Sunday last week, curious to see what happens this weekend.

I hope it keeps growing throughout the month cause it's always cool to see these types of successes.

At this point new Lethal Company CCU peaks have to be considered Spam.
Getting worse than Baldurs Gate 3. That rise was at least faster :D

Worse? No, slower means it is organic growth. Talks online often told me this was a good thing or something.

Also one could say Lethal Company has completely destroyed Elden Ring and Baldur's Gate 3.
This game continues to beat its peak CCU records more than a month after launch(39 days and counting)
On the other hand these other games are complete flops, no cultural impact.

/s 😝

-----

Asian Peak Time CCU Round up for the Day

Apocalypse Party Day new CCU Record - 9,085
TEVI new CCU Record - 5,015
The Exit 8 new CCU Record - 2,487
HoloParade new CCU Record - 9,491

November Steam Hardware Survey

massive shift, or rather, corrections. China numbers got heavily culled (again)
  • windows 10 gained -12.05 percentage points
    • win11 gained 11.51 PP
  • RTX 3060 gained -4.79 PP
  • simplified chinese gained -19.97 PP
    • english gained 9.62 PP
other language deets
  • russian gained 2.69 PP, 3rd largest share at 9.98%
  • spanish spanish gained 1.08 PP, 4th largest share at 4.67%
  • japanese gaine 1.08 PP, 7th largest share at 2.60%
gpus
  • new "amd radeon graphics" on the board at 0.16% total share
    • probably an RDNA3 integrated gpu. there are a lot of 780M models out there, especially thanks to tiny box pcs and handhelds
  • RX 6800 FINALLY gets on the board after 3 years... at 0.17%
  • "RDPDD Chained DD" at 0.16%
    • googling, this is a remote desktop client. funny entry
cpus
  • amd gained 8.30 PP, now at 33.88%

Last Train Home new CCU Record - 5,039

-----

Funny little phenomenon happened tonight, Baldur's Gate 3 and Starfield did not have the same pattern of behaviour(the uptick during peak NA evening time is lesser than usual).
The same happened with Call of Duty.
Another game? Mortal Kombat 1 Same thing, unusual CCUs behaviour.

The Fornite end of Season event effect in action?
For a bunch of different game to behave atypically on that single day during NA evening time in different genres, I think it's quite clear.
It also makes quite apparent that a lot of different kind of players play Fornite, lmao.

-----

Lastly, Lethal Company new CCU record - 240,817
This game's peak was also later than usual by about 30mins(even accounting for weekend and people staying up later).
It got an influx of players as the Fornite servers kicked everyone out for maintenance to deploy Chapter 5(11:15~) PM EST. Very noticeable influx of 10k+~ within a short timeframe (about 10ish minutes) as the game was actually winding down in its climb before that point.

Very Curious 🤔

HoloParade reached its new high, 11,729

Very likely that will be its peak unless the Hololive English talents playing it this week will lead to the English-speaking fans playing it, but since it's a Battle Cats/Nyanko Great War clone of sorts and that property is mainly only popular in Japan, I don't see that happening. Or maybe there will be a big update later on (only 1/3 or so of the Hololive talents so far are in the game) which will spawn a renewed interest down the line.

Last edited:
Last Train Home new CCU record - 5,664

-----

Too much Fornite playing, same phenomenon has happened, stronger dips during NA evening times for many games. In fact, the effect is even more pronounced when it comes to something like Lethal Company.
Which was/is a viral streamer game, so the audience would skew younger.

Just look at that curve : https://steamdb.info/app/1966720/charts/

-----

@Guarabyra
With the arrival of Patch 5 Baldur's Gate 3 did in fact beat the CCU peaks of the last weekend.

Last Saturday Peak CCU - 154 810
Last Sunday Peak CCU - 171 641

Yesterday's Peak CCU - 170 986
Today's Peak CCU - 189 130

Depending on how sustained or not that growth is over the next couple days we can get an idea if it's people just playing the epilogue(s) or if they're any sizable amount of players making new saves to play around with the new modes.

Last edited:
I assume it's mostly people checking out the epilogue, but we might see a bump this week if it wins GOTY at the game awards.

Weekly top sellers:

Pje31Yc.png

Back to normalcy after a week of sales

A wave a sales has started yesterday and I've been looking at what's doing the best.

Party Animals at 30% off is popping off in Asia currently #13 worldwide.
HL at #15 at 40% off, the game was on discount on Steam for the same price not too long ago, so it's an attractive pricepoint for people to jump in it seems.
Diablo 4 at #18 at 40% off, same situation as HL.

Days Gone at 75% off is at #20
Starfield is 30% off at #23

These two are interesting comparisons because the deep sales of Days Gone is doing less revenue in richer countries like NA/EU but better in regions with less purchasing power compared to Days Gone.

Biggest gap I found for this is Days Gone #3 in Brazil while Starfield is at #54
Phil Spencer did say PC Gamepass in Brazil is the second biggest market, might be a big factor here.

Also I need to do my Canadian duty, a game has just released today called Sledders.
It currently has 459 CCUs.
It is #50 Globally, but here in Canada it's #4.
Looking at Nordics, #1 in Norway, #2 in Finland.
Snow countries unite :ROFLMAO:

Destiny 2 post new season (season of the wish nov 28) check, Dec 4-5 only 704k players. It should be around or over 1m so soon after a new season. i was pretty surprised at such a low number.

And now it must suffer six months with no new season or expansion until The Final Shape in June 2024 (altho I understand they have fill in content of some kind planned). Going to be interesting to watch.

it still seems to support the big youtube creators videos fine on the surface (the latest datto vid i noticed doing well) although i dont have anything like full transparency to that. it's possible their views are down on the whole.

I hope it crashes and burns

O_O What did the game do to you?

-----
The Day Before is apparently coming out in less than an hour, what a saga this game has gone through since its first unveiling, that bullshot of a vertical slice.

BG3 is also stuck out the Top 10, and compared to the Autumn Sales 2 weeks ago, it did not have a day or two in the Top 6-8~ so it's possible that this week it'll finally get booted out of the Top 10.
Unless it can get a TGA GotY win to give it that sales boost.

CP2077 is continuing to sell a lot of copies with the new Edition/2.1 Update w/ discounts.
The marketing efforts from CDPR via livestream/trailers and overall communication is very effective, probably one of the best in gaming.

Last edited:
O_O What did the game do to you?

Isn't that the FF7 mobile game? I really dislike both gacha and live service crap.

Rogue Trader seems to be doing pretty well: Currently no.1 on global top sellers and has 15,255 ccus.

Edit: Rogue Trader no longer no.1 because The Day Before actually released :eek:

Last edited:
Rogue Trader seems to be doing pretty well: Currently no.1 on global top sellers and has 15,255 ccus.

Edit: Rogue Trader no longer no.1 because The Day Before actually released :eek:

Lmao, the madlads did it. Also 21% positive on 444 reviews, yeah its as we all feared.
Seeing a lot of "It's not a MMO" reviews.
Refunds for this game are going to be pretty high, lmao.

Really unfortunate for fans of Division-like games and/or living your dream of a playing TLoU-like in a open world survival environment. Especially considering TLoU Online game has also been delayed indefinitely at this point.

They call it an MMO in the store page, but apparently it's an extraction shooter. Someone should contact Valve.

Is it Massive? Is it Multiplayer? Is it Online? Then I suppose the MMO tag applies. I saw people often calling Diablo 4 an MMO despite it only having a party size of 4 (as opposed to 8 from Diablo 2). Stuff like that is fluid.

I actually think that's a very solid first day showing from Rogue Trader. It's been handled so differently to this point that I had no idea what to expect compared to Wrath of the Righteous, but this is like 85% to matching its first day total despite all that. Curious to see how the rest of the weekend turns out but it seems like a success for Owlcat at this point.

The Finals 1.0 dropped last night

new high of 195K players, both right now and all time

Lots of negative reviews, they nerfed the movement across the board.
Gamers don't like when you remove tools they play with lmao, so many "Revert the changes, why you do this dev?"
Lots of other minor things which will hurt the game's initial reception. Shooter launches have all stumbled in different ways this year, seems like a hard thing to get right, from both balance and network side of things.

I'm also surprised The Day Before is still so high on the global selling list, but maybe it's just because a ton of copies were sold within that 24hour timeframe.

GTA5 is much higher on the list compared to previous sales, even the Autumn one from a few weeks ago. GTA6 announcement effect?

BG3 currently at #7 after spending the last 2ish days at 10-13th~ That GotY win boost.
The boost probably will be more pronounced on consoles considering a lot of people have bought it on PC, but we can see the effect in "real time" quite clearly here.

Edit: The Day Before suddenly falls down to #23, there's my answer to my previous question.
It just made too much revenue within that 24h timeframe, this is why it stayed at the top for the entire day.

Last edited:
Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader new CCU record - 33,916

Owlcat's previous games CCU Record :
2018 - Pathfinder: Kingmaker - 22,643
- Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - 46,724

Friday comparison for Baldur's Gate 3 week to week :

Last Friday's peak CCU - 129 357
This Friday's peak CCU - 138,921

Since Patch 5 dropped, it's the now the second Friday in a row where the game has done better than the previous one.

BG3 currently at #7 after spending the last 2ish days at 10-13th~ That GotY win boost.
The boost probably will be more pronounced on consoles considering a lot of people have bought it on PC, but we can see the effect in "real time" quite clearly here.

Up to #5 now, definitely curious about how it's doing on consoles.

Edit: It seems like The Day Before dropped out of the top 100, wonder if some mass refunding happened.

Last edited:
Up to #5 now, definitely curious about how it's doing on consoles.

Hard to know instantly, the only way that I know is to look at the top played xbox games, but it takes time to wrack up those minutes. It's not currently in the Top 50 games played.

With PSN best selling, it's easier, but I still don't know if they're on a 1-2 week rotation or what kind of system they use. I can say that it's up 1-2 positions on the best sellers list on the PSN CAN/UK/USA stores from the last time I checked about a week ago. So relative to that period and the other games, it is doing better.

Edit: It seems like The Day Before dropped out of the top 100, wonder if some mass refunding happened.

It was the most wishlisted game on Steam(lol) so I'm sure a lot of refunds happened. It's already below 10k CCU for peak times today, considering its a multiplayer experience, that's a horrible drop off.
Not too surprising, many of us saw the scam coming, people were just hopeful things worked out. Gamers are gullible, lol.
It also shows just how people are hungry for some kind of Zombie survival game in a cityscape.
The Division by Ubisoft proved really like that kind third person shooter. There's a huge potential market here up for grabs by a more competent/funded studio. Notably, TLoU Online for Naughty Dog might've had something here... Unfortunately, the project's future is quite uncertain at this point.

-----

GTAV is currently having a sales and selling a lot more than usual, most likely that GTA6 effect.
Something I noticed, today the game peaked at 253,660.
This is the highest CCU for the game since December 14th 2020 where it peaked at 258,721. This was on a Tuesday and the game jumped 100K+ CCUs from the previous day, so this was probably some sort of update.
Not so this time, it's just people buying and/or logging in the game, incredible really.

Hard to know instantly, the only way that I know is to look at the top played xbox games, but it takes time to wrack up those minutes. It's not currently in the Top 50 games played.

With PSN best selling, it's easier, but I still don't know if they're on a 1-2 week rotation or what kind of system they use. I can say that it's up 1-2 positions on the best sellers list on the PSN CAN/UK/USA stores from the last time I checked about a week ago. So relative to that period and the other games, it is doing better.

Oh well, guess we're going to be waiting for december's PSN(and XBL if they have them) charts.

It was the most wishlisted game on Steam(lol) so I'm sure a lot of refunds happened. It's already below 10k CCU for peak times today, considering its a multiplayer experience, that's a horrible drop off.
Not too surprising, many of us saw the scam coming, people were just hopeful things worked out. Gamers are gullible, lol.
It also shows just how people are hungry for some kind of Zombie survival game in a cityscape.
The Division by Ubisoft proved really like that kind third person shooter. There's a huge potential market here up for grabs by a more competent/funded studio. Notably, TLoU Online for Naughty Dog might've had something here... Unfortunately, the project's future is quite uncertain at this point.

At least Steam has refunds so falling for these scams hurt a bit less. Gonna post this because it's hilarious:

20231207_115730.jpg

-----

GTAV is currently having a sales and selling a lot more than usual, most likely that GTA6 effect.
Something I noticed, today the game peaked at 253,660.
This is the highest CCU for the game since December 14th 2020 where it peaked at 258,721. This was on a Tuesday and the game jumped 100K+ CCUs from the previous day, so this was probably some sort of update.
Not so this time, it's just people buying and/or logging in the game, incredible really.

You say GTA6 effect, but it won't come out on PC until 2027 and might not even hit steam :(

You say GTA6 effect, but it won't come out on PC until 2027 and might not even hit steam :(

It is what it is, hopefully the worst that happens is that it follows the same pattern as RDR2 where it launched on Rockstar's own launcher and EGS with that juicy 100% and 88% profit and then a month later the game came on Steam.

It is what it is, hopefully the worst that happens is that it follows the same pattern as RDR2 where it launched on Rockstar's own launcher and EGS with that juicy 100% and 88% profit and then a month later the game came on Steam.

I really wish it wasn't, in the DF trailer breakdown(the content hustle) Alex makes a good point about there being way more PCs that should be capable of running the game than there are xbox series consoles sold.

Don't forget Epic probably paid tens of millions for that month of exclusivity too.

I really wish it wasn't, in the DF trailer breakdown(the content hustle) Alex makes a good point about there being way more PCs that should be capable of running the game than there are xbox series consoles sold.

We just don't have access to the financial metrics Rockstar has, I assume it's not a technical hurdle but a monetary one. Which is a shame, but companies are going to company, if you know what I mean.

Don't forget Epic probably paid tens of millions for that month of exclusivity too.

Probably, but it's also that it eats less in their margins, the shop offers a better deal but also is way less copies in totality.
I'm fairly sure that Epic won't be paying this time around, so it's probably going to be Rockstar Launcher exclusive.

------

Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader new CCU record - 41,973

Very good performance for Owlcat, considering it's not just a third Pathfinder game but rather another IP entirely.
Not sure if the CCU record of their previous game will be beaten, but it'll probably get another few thousands more tomorrow at the very least.

------

BG3 CCU peak yesterday was actual higher at peak NA evening time, probably due to TGAs?
That's very atypical, not sure if it'll happen again today, but I'll keep an eye on it.
In any case, here's Saturday's comparisons:

Last Saturday's CCU Peak : 170,986
This Saturday's CCU Peak : 180,218

Gain of 9,232

Friday's numbers:
This Friday's peak CCU - 139,624(Updated numbers, NA Peak)

Gain of 10,267

Considering last week the game went from 170k CCU to 189k CCU from Saturday to Sunday, there's a chance the game re-enters the 200k CCU mark tomorrow.

-----

Also, if we take the CCU peaks for Starfield and BG3, we're now into the x8 times the players difference during peak times.

Today's CCU peak for Starfield = 21,970
21,970*8 = 175,760
BG3 CCU Peak today = 180,218

Last night during NA night time/Asia time we entered x9 times as well.
The differential between the games generally increases by x1 during NA/Asia times because BG3 is more of a global game. Which makes sense, it's the Steam sensation of the year and Starfield got more of usual core RPG(EU) audience.

I could've never predicted this situation unfolding just a few months ago, wild stuff.

We just don't have access to the financial metrics Rockstar has, I assume it's not a technical hurdle but a monetary one. Which is a shame, but companies are going to company, if you know what I mean.

I just find it weird/sad that we've seen a few devs(especially jp) grow their audience by releasing day one on PC and Rockstar still won't bother, oh well.

Also, if we take the CCU peaks for Starfield and BG3, we're now into the x8 times the players difference during peak times.

Today's CCU peak for Starfield = 21,970
21,970*8 = 175,760
BG3 CCU Peak today = 180,218

Last night during NA night time/Asia time we entered x9 times as well.
The differential between the games generally increases by x1 during NA/Asia times because BG3 is more of a global game. Which makes sense, it's the Steam sensation of the year and Starfield got more of usual core RPG(EU) audience.

I could've never predicted this situation unfolding just a few months ago, wild stuff.

Turns out it's Starfield that should've ran from BG3 and not the other way around haha

I've been trying to figure out what game this is. SteamDB seems a bit borked as it's only showing up as "Spacewar"

Based on some googling it seems this is a free game built into Steam to demo its SDK which pirates use to authenticate games that require Steam to work. So it's just a bunch of pirates, although being cataloged like that is pretty funny.

I've been trying to figure out what game this is. SteamDB seems a bit borked as it's only showing up as "Spacewar"

It isn't really meant to be played. If you search for it on Steam, you can’t find it. You have to know it’s there to install it. It's used as a sample to demonstrate various aspects of Valve's Steamworks API, such as achievements. Despite this, it regularly appears on Steam’s top 100 most played games.

It’s not on Steam’s Top 100 because people are playing it, but because they aren’t. Spacewar is a Trojan horse that pirated games use to get onto Steam. It's quite a neat little scam. Pirated games that require Steam use Spacewar's appid to sneak their way onto the service. Steam thinks they're using the SDK, but really the players are sneakily playing a new game in Spacewar's clothing.

It makes me sad that the community page is gone, because it was a self-promoted wall of shame for every brazen pirate out there. I used to enjoy loading it up and to see a patchwork of piracy. Valve didn't stop people from using Spacewar to sneak onto Steam, they just stopped people bragging about it.

Almost everyone "playing" this game is a pirate playing something else, and yes, Valve just lets it happen.

Oh, that is indeed interesting. Thanks for the explanation. I hadn't really taken notice of it despite looking at the top 100 chart list fairly regularly, probably the indescript name helps hide it amongst others. Looks like Hogwarts Legacy was the high-point for that 'game'. Surprisingly Baldur's Gate 3's launch period didn't seem to raise the CCU of the 'game' much at all.

Oh, that is indeed interesting. Thanks for the explanation. I hadn't really taken notice of it despite looking at the top 100 chart list fairly regularly, probably the indescript name helps hide it amongst others. Looks like Hogwarts Legacy was the high-point for that 'game'. Surprisingly Baldur's Gate 3's launch period didn't seem to raise the CCU of the 'game' much at all.

BG3 has no DRM so you don't need to jump through those hoops

Lethal Company actually peaked at 239,370 tonight, just a bit under its current CCU record of 240,817.
Considering we're not Sunday, high likelihood that the record gets broken again tomorrow.

The Finals new CCU record - 242,619
Against the Storm new CCU record - 12,832

Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader new CCU record - 45,405

Did not reach's WotR's Peak, but a very good result for the studio.
Shame another CRPG won GotY the weekend the game released, lmao. Probably would've passed their previous CCU record without that small thing.

------

Grand Theft Auto 5
hit a 24hour CCU Peak of 262,649 today.
This officially beats December 2020's 258,721 as well as May 2020's 261,658 24hour CCU Peak.
It did not beat February 9th's 2020 24hour CCU Peak of 269,460.
The date is significant as it was a week after a second prefecture went into lockdown in China.
Everyone says it, but it bears repeating, GTA 5 is truly eternal.

------

Baldur's Gate 3
did manage to get over the 200k mark today, an incredible achievement.
The game has remained Top 4-5 on the global list in the last 2 days.

Last Sunday's CCU Peak : 189,130
This Sunday's CCU Peak : 202,263

Gain of 13,133

Last Saturday's CCU Peak : 170,986
This Saturday's CCU Peak : 180,218

Gain of 9,232

This Friday's peak CCU - 139,624(Updated numbers, NA Peak)

Gain of 10,267

Guess BG3 will still be on the weekly top 10, thanks Geoff

At least the man did one thing right.

Current sales is ending next Tuesday so the week of the 12th to 19th is almost certainly safe.
The week of the 19th to the 26th is the start of the Winter sales.
But the sales 21st, so that gives a buffer. The 21st is also when the Japanese translation is releasing. That should provide a decent bump just like the Korean version did some weeks ago. So, perhaps it can hang on the week as well.

As for the holidays as a whole, going into January, it all depends on how many people were waiting until the Christmas break to play the game. Long games usually benefit the most from big holidays like this. I also imagine that in Baldur's Gate 3's case, a non-trivial amount of people who want to play the game as a group campaign would've waited for the holidays because of scheduling issues.

Lethal Company didn't reach a new peak this weekend, it might finally be slowing down(a bit).
The game is still selling a lot, so it's at that point where older players are leaving but new young blood is coming in. But yeah, the CCU climb appears to be over at this point.

Also, you know which game is slowing down? The Day Before

A little leak of how things were going refund wise :

fantxs8fvo5c1.png

Lol, lmao even. Funniest game ever, I expect that refund number to climb to some absurd percentage today as people realize no support for the game will be coming.

------
Baldur's Gate 3 continuing to ride the TGA wave.
Last Monday's CCU Peak : 137,656
This Monday's CCU Peak : 149,769

Gains of 12,113
This is a higher day on day gain than the weekend numbers.

Furthermore, BG3 has now crossed x9 times the players of Starfield during peak times.
I also did notice it crossed x10 for a few hours yesterday during NA night times.

Starfield Peak daily CCU: 16,112*9=145,008
Baldur's Gate 3: 149,769
Alternatively,
Starfield Peak Daily CCU: 16,112
Fallout 4 Peak Daily CCU: 16,443

Fallout 4 beats Starfield during Peak EU hours for the first time, Skyrim isn't alone anymore.

Edit: Starfield is also not discounted anymore as of a few hours ago.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom