• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

Will Soul Hackers 2 sell more than Shin Megami Tensei V?

What will have better lifetime sales, SMTV or Soul Hackers 2?

• Shin Megami Tensei V

Votes: 165 67.6%
  • Soul Hackers 2

Votes: 44 18.0%
  • Shin Megami Tensei V, but only if the rumoured PC/PS4 versions release

Votes: 21 8.6%
  • Soul Hackers 2, but only if it gets a Switch port later

Votes: 14 5.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
5qwlOJd.jpg

Question: How does this screenshot make you feel?
Like I'm looking at TMS 2 which is totally fine because I loved that game as well. I know people like to pretend that game was a fever dream but it's looked more in line with it since day zero.

P5 seems to have really messed with the perception of people on what Atlus mostly is. Most of their games are AA and this is still only their 4th console RPG (P5-TMS-SMT5) since the PS2 days.

Last edited:
I haven't followed the game closely, but if all of the dungeons take place in these boring copy-pasted voids it would be extremely disappointing.
No, all dungeons aren’t in those copy/paste voids, that’s just the Soul Matrix (Mementos equivalent in the game). But the dungeon visuals are extremely repetitive anyway (this is one of the problems with dungeon crawling I alluded to earlier). The last couple of dungeons do get more out there with their themeing and aesthetic but the bulk of the game takes place in dungeons that all look and feel too similar and drab and add to a sense of tedium (even though I personally do find the actual dungeon design good, the visual repetition gets a bit grating).

I haven't followed the game closely, but if all of the dungeons take place in these boring copy-pasted voids it would be extremely disappointing.
Reminds me of the awful "other dimension"-sections in Astral Chain. I don't understand why developers keep doing these and people keep playing them. Yes, it's cheaper to make this, but come on. If you don't have the budget for a proper 3d-world, make it a nice 2d-game. Disagaea shows what can be achieved with 2d and a low budget.

Reminds me of the awful "other dimension"-sections in Astral Chain. I don't understand why developers keep doing these and people keep playing them. Yes, it's cheaper to make this, but come on. If you don't have the budget for a proper 3d-world, make it a nice 2d-game. Disagaea shows what can be achieved with 2d and a low budget.
I don't think it'll ever go away and it sucks lol. I think all the recent jrpgs I've played had really poor 3D dungeon design, even mid tier budget jrpgs like Xenoblade 3 and Tales of Arise have boring as sin final dungeon designs that are corridor simulators with very little visual flair.

I don't think it'll ever go away and it sucks lol. I think all the recent jrpgs I've played had really poor 3D dungeon design, even mid tier budget jrpgs like Xenoblade 3 and Tales of Arise have boring as sin final dungeon designs that are corridor simulators with very little visual flair.
I would say P5 and FFXV have great dungeons (but I’m not sure they necessarily count as mid tier)

Agreed. Tales of Arise especially have some mediocre/poor dungeon designs.

Xenoblade 3 absolutely has a problem with its wide, empty hallways and streets. Its overworld is generally great, but any settlement or indoors location is absolutely sterile and made so that 5 Hummer Jeeps can drive next to each other. It's my biggest complaint about the game, especially coming from the best jrpg towns ever in Xenoblade 2.

Even so, these super abstract, empty 'dungeons' as shown in the screenshot ... i'm so sick of it.

I would say P5 and FFXV have great dungeons (but I’m not sure they necessarily count as mid tier)
Yeah I thought about those too while posting so I added mid tier budget before posting. I don't really blame the devs either doing good 3d dungeon design on a budget is tough. SMTV is another one where you just go through the same room or start walking over cubes at some point.

Xenoblade 3 absolutely has a problem with its wide, empty hallways and streets. Its overworld is generally great, but any settlement or indoors location is absolutely sterile and made so that 5 Hummer Jeeps can drive next to each other. It's my biggest complaint about the game, especially coming from the best jrpg towns ever in Xenoblade 2.

Even so, these super abstract, empty 'dungeons' as shown in the screenshot ... i'm so sick of it.
Oh yeah XB3's "field" design for the lack of a better world is stellar, I really like it.

I don't know, sometimes I don't really mind straight forward corridor dungeons, just like sometimes I don't mind open wastelands like SMTV as long as they're fun to traverse and explore honestly, even if there's nothing out there. The best dungeons I can remember recently was in Persona 5 strikers and I widely prefer them to the original P5 and I felt like that was a good balance between linear corridors and puzzle as well as small hub areas to introduce the next section. I also appreciate that once the novelty of finding every Warden's "special treasure" stuff wore off, the dungeons got shorter and more to the point. The only thing I remember about P5 dungeons after the 3rd/4th one was that they were long, there was backtracking and it became a lot more about stealth and avoiding this or that than just making your way through. Also after the checkpoint system in P5 Strikers I don't wanna see a safe room again.

Just to illustrate and not just use imprecise words when I criticize certain dungeon design such as in SH2, here's other examples of this terrible low-effort design:

And in regards to Xenoblade, we went from this

to that:

You can't handwave away this with "Xenoblade 3's world is pragmatic and doesn't have culture". It's just too wide and empty. I can say this while still calling the game a masterpiece, so let's not call me a hater, lol.

To frame all this in a sales-related argument, I think the firstmost posted style of dungeons inherently limits the appeal of a game and will always result in some 77/100-esque score and corresponding middling sales numbers.

As for Xenoblade, and I realize this is now offtopic so I'll keep it short, I think XB3 has the best story in all the Xenoblade-games and will get lots of positive wom for it, but at the same time I still think that if a Xenoblade X-port released on Switch in 1-2 years, people wouldn't know that it's an older game. That's how much better the world design of X is compared to XB3.

Yeah I thought about those too while posting so I added mid tier budget before posting. I don't really blame the devs either doing good 3d dungeon design on a budget is tough. SMTV is another one where you just go through the same room or start walking over cubes at some point.
Yup! As another example of a JRPG with good 3D dungeon design, DQ11 was great at this, but, well, also not mid tier haha.

So sticking to the mid budget games, you bring up SMTV, the thing with that game (or Persona 4, or Tales of Arise, or Xenoblade 3) is that even where the dungeons fail to be interesting in those games, they have strengths in other areas that compensate, and the dungeons are not the central focus of any of those games (P4 probably comes closest, but even that was already almost at a 2:3 ratio for out of dungeon/in-dungeon activities). SH2's biggest issue is that it is a pure dungeon crawler, but without the dungeons being strong or interesting enough to justify it.

Just to illustrate and not just use imprecise words when I criticize certain dungeon design such as in SH2, here's other examples of this terrible low-effort design:

And in regards to Xenoblade, we went from this

to that:

You can't handwave away this with "Xenoblade 3's world is pragmatic and doesn't have culture". It's just too wide and empty. I can say this while still calling the game a masterpiece, so let's not call me a hater, lol.

To frame all this in a sales-related argument, I think the firstmost posted style of dungeons inherently limits the appeal of a game and will always result in some 77/100-esque score and corresponding middling sales numbers.

As for Xenoblade, and I realize this is now offtopic so I'll keep it short, I think XB3 has the best story in all the Xenoblade-games and will get lots of positive wom for it, but at the same time I still think that if a Xenoblade X-port released on Switch in 1-2 years, people wouldn't know that it's an older game. That's how much better the world design of X is compared to XB3.
And yet both Astral Chain and Tales of Arise both got an 87 metascore, not 77. In Astral Chain's case I heavily disagree. While visually the Astral Plane is repetetive the level design and puzzles are not and done very well.

And yet both Astral Chain and Tales of Arise both got an 87 metascore, not 77. In Astral Chain's case I heavily disagree. While visually the Astral Plane is repetetive the level design and puzzles are not and done very well.
Yeah, I am not necessarily buying the "abstract linear corridor style dungeon = 80> scores" argument. Apart from Tales of Arise and Astral Chain, we also have FF7R (which might have the worst dungeon design in a big budget JRPG ever), P4G (which scored an 89 on MC as recently as 2020), SMTV, even TMS#FE was an 81.

The issue is more with how much emphasis is placed on dungeons if your dungeons are lacking, and how strong you are in other areas to compensate for that. If you do well on other fronts, and don't place dungeons front and centre while having some major fumbles with them, the game will be well received.

Guys, I will gladly take back the "abstract corridor design leads to low scores" statement, but I will say that it certainly doesn't help. Persona 4 Golden had terrible dungeons, but it sold well thanks to the other parts of it. Also I wasn't aware of Tales of Arise having such dungeon designs, never saw them in a video. Bummer, because I planned on playing it next year or so :/

This is getting too offtopic, but I keep thinking these days "how many years will it take until we get a Cyberpunk 2077-level jrpg from Japan" and I'm like "fuck, I'm already 36 ...". Japanese game development as a whole needs to step up, so when new games like SH2 still resort to these abstract dungeon designs, it's a sign of a stagnant creative industry. It's especially baffeling in this case, when Atlus positioned SH2 as the next big thing. I'm really curious if Project Re:Fantasy is gonna be this epic jrpg that has been teased with lines such as "rethink fantasy rpgs".

I don't have any complaints about Astral Chain's or Xenoblade 3's level design so far. they both were great. I'm not sure what exactly was the problem other than not liking the aesthetic
I exlained it AND posted screenshots. Not sure how you can't see what the problem is, even if you yourself disagree.

Last edited:
I don't have any complaints about Astral Chain's or Xenoblade 3's level design so far. they both were great. I'm not sure what exactly was the problem other than not liking the aesthetic

Multiplattform development and optimization can be difficult on a tight budget, seems like even the PS5 version has longish load times the minimal/stylish areas.

Which would explain why Switch wasn't there Day 1 if they are struggling to hit the other systems. They probably had to ship it before P5R.

Its probably why they usually only develop for one platform at a time

Guys, I will gladly take back the "abstract corridor design leads to low scores" statement, but I will say that it certainly doesn't help. Persona 4 Golden had terrible dungeons, but it sold well thanks to the other parts of it. Also I wasn't aware of Tales of Arise having such dungeon designs, never saw them in a video. Bummer, because I planned on playing it next year or so :/

This is getting too offtopic, but I keep thinking these days "how many years will it take until we get a Cyberpunk 2077-level jrpg from Japan" and I'm like "fuck, I'm already 36 ...". Japanese game development as a whole needs to step up, so when new games like SH2 still resort to these abstract dungeon designs, it's a sign of a stagnant creative industry. It's especially baffeling in this case, when Atlus positioned SH2 as the next big thing. I'm really curious if Project Re:Fantasy is gonna be this epic jrpg that has been teased with lines such as "rethink fantasy rpgs".
Elden Ring exists, I understand is far from a traditional JRPG but you don’t sell a lot by being a traditional JRPG. The most successful JRPG are quite different to what most consider JRPGs (RFA,MH,Pokemon and Souls)

If you want a traditional JRPG to have anything close to CP2077 ambition you will need to wait for Nintendo EPD or Capcom to make big AAA JRPGs which really I don’t see happening or Nintendo giving BOTW budget to Monolith which will only happen if they make games that sell pre-BOTW Zelda numbers. (I’m saying this because you seem to dislike SE AAA design so I ignored it because it will probably never change lol)

Yup! As another example of a JRPG with good 3D dungeon design, DQ11 was great at this, but, well, also not mid tier haha.

So sticking to the mid budget games, you bring up SMTV, the thing with that game (or Persona 4, or Tales of Arise, or Xenoblade 3) is that even where the dungeons fail to be interesting in those games, they have strengths in other areas that compensate, and the dungeons are not the central focus of any of those games (P4 probably comes closest, but even that was already almost at a 2:3 ratio for out of dungeon/in-dungeon activities). SH2's biggest issue is that it is a pure dungeon crawler, but without the dungeons being strong or interesting enough to justify it.
Maybe I just don't remember since I haven't played it since the OG release but...what great dungeons did DQXI have? I remember the big areas and overworld pretty well but as far dungeons I only remember the ones that resembled caves, castles that were mostly rooms and corridors until you got to more rooms, pretty similar to what Tales of Arise did. Now it definitely does towns much better.

Elden Ring exists, I understand is far from a traditional JRPG but you don’t sell a lot by being a traditional JRPG. The most successful JRPG are quite different to what most consider JRPGs (RFA,MH,Pokemon and Souls)

If you want a traditional JRPG to have anything close to CP2077 ambition you will need to wait for Nintendo EPD or Capcom to make big AAA JRPGs which really I don’t see happening or Nintendo giving BOTW budget to Monolith which will only happen if they make games that sell pre-BOTW Zelda numbers. (I’m saying this because you seem to dislike SE AAA design so I ignored it because it will probably never change lol)
For the sake of this discussion, I'll ignore that you're mentioning Elden Ring in a debate about jrpgs ;>

When we're talking about hopes for ambitious jrpgs from Japanese developers, I think we need to acknowledge two things first:
- the pool developers is extremely limited. As you say, there's Square Enix, Nintendo, possibly Capcom (I think there's insane potential in a proper MonHun-jrpg not targeted at children) and maybe Atlus (we need to see how Project Re:Fantasy turns out). Oh, and Bandai Namco, sure, although I fear we're in for at least a decade of Arise-tier jrpgs from them before they make another jump in quality).
- "ambitious jrpgs" really means leaving behind some aspects of traditional jrpg design and embracing gameplay features usually found in WRPGs. This is what Xenoblade Wii did when it went with mmo-like combat, a vast open world and lots of customization and off-the-rails world exploration. But that was 2010 and XB3, while great, is not an ambitious game in terms of gameplay anymore.

Another big issue is that the industry as a whole needs to see a paradigm shift in terms of development tools. As great as a game like CP2077 is, it only features one city. We are so far away from a rpg on that level that features an entire world with several cities and landscapes. Final Fantasy 7 Remake needed to be split up into at least 3 parts. GTA6 and Elder Scrolls 6 are taking 10+ years of massive development investment. Nobody expects a Xenogears-remake anymore because fans know it'd be even more demanding than FF7R. Dev tools need to reach a new level where giant game worlds can be created in a fraction of the current dev time, otherwise games with big worlds and epic stories are stuck where they are. At that point you almost can't blame SH2's dungeon design anymore, because there's no way a project like that would ever receive the budget necessary to portray something that could be considered "ambitious". It's more busines-sound to craft a derivative dungeon crawler with attractive character designs and well-tested SMT-combat and make some money with that.

We see the recurring, unproven (and imo wrong) argument that Xenoblade-sales are hindered by certain aesthetics. I think, pertaining to the second point above, that an inherent issue with jrgs is its archaic gameplay design. Hence why Elden Ring, a WRPG made in Japan, is breaking sales-records: Because it doesn't play anything like a jrpg. It feels and looks like a western rpg, active combat, lots of customization, non-linear progression, focus on awe and wonder over a hand-holding narrative based on fancy cutscenes. This is where genres stop mattering, it's about what's inherent attractive to customers and sales data we recently got from Elden Ring clearly prove this to some degree. I mentioned Xenoblade Wii in this regard, too, because it followed some western game design conventions, too, albeit to much lesser degree than Elden Ring. But this is the direction to take if you want significantly increased sales. FF16 is doing exactly that, taking a lot of clues from Witcher 3, improving on it and adding the superior art design of the FF DNA. Despite our dooming discussion in terms of Japan, I think FF16 will become the best selling FF ever worldwide, and not just because more people play video games. It's also why I was so hopeful for Monolith Soft's medieval fantasy-ip that supposedly would use action-combat over the usual indirect jrpg-combat. Tales of Arise also went for more direct action-y combat compared to past Tales of-titles. You can quote me on that, but I'm sure the upcoming wave of JRPGs starting with FF16 will be significantly closer to WRPGs that many would have expected (or wanted). But it's what sells.

PS: As for "disliking SE", it's not that I dislike their game design approach, but the pretentious nature of their writing and advertising. Basically, they're overselling their own skills in certain areas and that i can't stand. That began when they did those cringe Latin titles, "Fabula Nova Crystalis", ugh. I'm actually looking forward to FF16, because it'll probably the closest we'll get to the supposedly cancelled medieval ip of Monolith Soft.

PPS: Wall of text, sorry ^^

Maybe I just don't remember since I haven't played it since the OG release but...what great dungeons did DQXI have? I remember the big areas and overworld pretty well but as far dungeons I only remember the ones that resembled caves, castles that were mostly rooms and corridors until you got to more rooms, pretty similar to what Tales of Arise did. Now it definitely does towns much better.
Kingsbarrow, Eerie Eyrie, and the one that I was really thinking of, Fortress of Fear. Also their respective variations in Act 3. They get progressively more elaborate, employing clever puzzles, shortcuts, looping level design, and a great sense of their physical spread.

Even with the supposed lack of quality. It still has factors that can result in decent sales in the end.

Once again, don't set expectations so low that we lose sight of how it has many advantages other Atlus releases do not have.

After the megaton success that was P4G on Steam and conversely the bomba that was Nocturne HD, I'm really anxious to see where this lands. This is the game that will let Atlus know whether there's a future for non-Persona Megaten on PC.

Why are you saying that Nocturne HD is a bomba ? Last milestone was 600k, it'll outsell every SMT game before V.
The user is probably talking specifically about the PC release, we have seen that kind of JRPG struggle at full price on Steam and people overestimate performance because cheaper re-releases ala P4G sold well.

PC releases rely on good visibility too, which P4G got through an announcement at a show and some good publicity, price obviously mattered the most but I think P5 will do relatively well on the platform even if it's full price. Games like Nocturne HD, Bravely Default 2 and possibly SH2 just tend to kind of drown.

P4G is really cheap on PC whereas SMT3HD is like 50 bucks. Obviously it wasn't going to sell as much as P4G.

The review score certainly don't help stuff there. Atm, i think my expectation is actually quite bad for this game here.

Man this game keep getting more and more disappointing.
At least TMS had amazing videoclips and Music.

Why are you saying that Nocturne HD is a bomba ? Last milestone was 600k, it'll outsell every SMT game before V.
It was a bomba on Steam going off its review count which is significantly lower than any other Atlus game on the platform, and because of the type of game it is I would imagine it has a high review to sale to ratio. Bulk of sales came from Switch and to a lesser extent PlayStation.

It was a bomba on Steam going off its review count which is significantly lower than any other Atlus game on the platform, and because of the type of game it is I would imagine it has a high review to sale to ratio. Bulk of sales came from Switch and to a lesser extent PlayStation.

Weak Steam sales performance just shows that not all game will be a hit on PC. Some games just simply click with console owners.

I exlained it AND posted screenshots. Not sure how you can't see what the problem is, even if you yourself disagree.
Astral Chain has puzzle and make use of the different abilities each dungeons more akin to that of the shrines in BOTW on top of platinum combat. It was never boring. Aesthetically sure but so was BOTW “dungeons”.

XC2 “level design” is actually not that great. The towns were never fun to explore. Being a disconnected world does not help. The town design in XC2 basically only cares about what it looks like and not how it functions/plays like. Some people literally had a problem going upstairs in the first area of the game (Argentum) because of how confusing it was. The design problem isn’t just relegated to towns either but the titans themselves, UI, and map. Tons of people dropped the game right at Torigoth. The tanking in resolution in that town doesn’t help either. Slow bad UI, Confusing level design/quests, Bad map navigation, Field Skills, The collection points, The gacha are all small problems compounding to a bigger thing. The gacha being tied to RNG to the filed skills blocking paths tied to the UI menu shuffling the blades all made exploration not fun. Having to stop at collection points and waiting for skills to pop up is like worst thing they ever did.

This very much echo the overall design of both games. XC3 is crisp and clear in its design. From the maps to the over world design to the UI. Even the character designs are less “busy and complicated”. It’s night and day. It almost feels like it‘s not even the same dev who made these games.

Dungeon/level design isn’t just visual alone.

Last edited:
Astral Chain has puzzle and make use the abilities more akin to that of the shrines in BOTW on top of platinum combat. It was never boring. Aesthetically sure but so was BOTW “dungeons”.

XC2 “level design” is actually not that great. The towns were varied in aesthetic but they never fun to explore. The town design in XC2 basically only cares about what it looks like and not how it functions/plays like. Some people literally had a problem going upstairs in the first area of the game (Argentum) because of how confusing it was. The design problem isn’t just relegated to towns either but the titans themselves, UI, and map. Tons of people dropped the game right at Torigoth. The tanking in resolution in that town doesn’t help either. Slow bad UI, Confusing level design/quests, Bad map navigation, Field Skills, The collection points, The gacha are all small problems compounding to a bigger thing. The gacha being tied to RNG to the filed skills blocking paths tied to the UI menu shuffling the blades all made exploration not fun. Having to stop at collection points and waiting for skills to pop up is like worst thing they ever did.

This very much echo the overall design of both games. XC3 is crisp and clear in its design. From the maps to the over world design to the UI. Even the character designs are less “busy and complicated”. It’s night and day. It almost feels like it‘s not even the same dev who made these games.

Dungeon/level design isn’t just visual alone.
I don't want to just ignore you, but I don't see any way to have a fruitful exchange either. My first reaction is 'everything you said is wrong', but maybe we live in different realities.

Ultimately I don't include people who can't go upstairs in Argentum in my arguments. The pathfinding qol feature in modern games is actually something I greatly dislike. What used to be a fun virtual easter egg search, is turned into a mindless 'hold the stick in the direction of this line/arrow until you've arrived'. Anyway, my screenshot comparison remains.

What does this have to do with the topic of the thread? You're going way off track here.

I don't think with the score it got now that Soul Hackers 2 can touch SMTV's sales numbers. Even with this apparent hype for it.

Mediocre JRPGs can still sell a decent number of units if they get enough discounts, bundles and marketing push, it could be Scarlet Nexus 2.0.

On topic: OMG! I finally saw advertising for SH2 today, and.....I thought it was OK.
Nothing about it made me want to jump out my seat and buy it, buy I did like SMT5
So if/when they do a switch port i'll buy it!

Hope Royal does great on switch!

Mediocre JRPGs can still sell a decent number of units if they get enough discounts, bundles and marketing push, it could be Scarlet Nexus 2.0.
I think Scarlet Nexus has some things going for it, like looking better and having a flashy combat system. but maybe Soul Hackers 2 can pull it off too. I don't really remember the lead up to SN's launch though (but it can't be worse than SH2)

SN looked much better and benefited from launching around the new consoles as well as having plattform holder marketing support (Microsoft).

How bad is the western advertising? I heard people complaining about it and it's straight up baffling to me if they are screwing that up when they have basically already set themselves to bombing in Japan.

How bad is the western advertising? I heard people complaining about it and it's straight up baffling to me if they are screwing that up when they have basically already set themselves to bombing in Japan.
It's pretty barely existent. There was only two preview events and one of them went under the radar. The media atlus put out shown practically nothing. If you wanted footage of the dungeons or combat, none of that was found in western footage. Don't know if they took out ads on YouTube or twitter

Brought up in the other thread, but I think the more interesting competition against SH2 is not SMTV... but rather Persona 5 Royal on Switch. P5R on Switch already has 6 points at ComG! for example compared to SH2 only having 17 points on PS4 IIRC.

It's pretty barely existent. There was only two preview events and one of them went under the radar. The media atlus put out shown practically nothing. If you wanted footage of the dungeons or combat, none of that was found in western footage. Don't know if they took out ads on YouTube or twitter
i honestly dont know what their endgame is here. i thought that they were going for the western market to try to offset the losses in japan but they arent doing that. maybe hope that reviews were stellar but they arent. i guess just release it and hope for the best?

i honestly dont know what their endgame is here. i thought that they were going for the western market to try to offset the losses in japan but they arent doing that. maybe hope that reviews were stellar but they arent. i guess just release it and hope for the best?
all this reeks of them cutting their losses early on. maybe mock reviews told them this would hit the 70s and in a crowded field, as well as Persona being not long after, it wasn't worth spending as much money

all this reeks of them cutting their losses early on. maybe mock reviews told them this would hit the 70s and in a crowded field, as well as Persona being not long after, it wasn't worth spending as much money

That truly the circle of flop hell there. U don't market the game to avoid wasting too much money on product that u believe will flop anyway, The game got zero marketing push that lead to low chance of selling well.
End up flopping.

What a sad fate

we have any steam numbers or indicators? Since that’s the platform it’s expected to do best on.

Back
Top Bottom