• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

Will Soul Hackers 2 sell more than Shin Megami Tensei V?

What will have better lifetime sales, SMTV or Soul Hackers 2?

• Shin Megami Tensei V

Votes: 165 67.6%
  • Soul Hackers 2

Votes: 44 18.0%
  • Shin Megami Tensei V, but only if the rumoured PC/PS4 versions release

Votes: 21 8.6%
  • Soul Hackers 2, but only if it gets a Switch port later

Votes: 14 5.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Maybe Steam saves it when having a price reduction? It's five platforms against one.
Persona 5R will sell well on Steam and Nintendo, I presume.

Maybe Steam saves it when having a price reduction? It's five platforms against one.
Persona 5R will sell well on Steam and Nintendo, I presume.
Steam/PS quick deep sales + GP deal + Humble bundle could save the unit sales of the title

Yep. SMTV is well out reach now (even before the inevitable PC port) and even reaching SMTIII HD sales might be too steep a target.

It's honestly a tragedy how this game was handled. TMS2 indeed.
SMT3HD should be doable with deep discounts and a presumed Switch port.

It really is a shame how badly it was bungled. This is a good game, it deserved better. It’s also the first console MegaTen spin off in over a decade, and this is the fate it gets…

SMT3HD should be doable with deep discounts and a presumed Switch port.

It really is a shame how badly it was bungled. This is a good game, it deserved better. It’s also the first console MegaTen spin off in over a decade, and this is the fate it gets…
Well, there was also TMS but that was kinda cheating as it's also a FE spinoff. It was also bungled from about every angle though and also deserved so much better than it got.

I'm just praying for a fan pleasing Raidou 3 or Survivor 3 to materialize...

What's up with modern SMT spin-offs and terrible decisions? It's a shame how is the second time it happens.

Game deserved better. As of now its like neo the world ends with you. A title to be destined to be remembered in niche communities only, and something that'll be talked about as a hidden gem in like a decade or something. Really is a shame. Though even on a surface level for this topic I'd have said smtv was going to win, given that nintendo seemed to do a lot of heavy lifting for promoting.

Last edited:
Spain SH2 numbers are in. 2500 1st week (PS:Xbox 83:17) which is below SMTIII HD (2960, NSW: PS 63:37) and well below SMTV (6550).

3rd strike after Japan and UK.

Dring didn't comment on it, other than brushing off physical being relevant which probably says it all. Based on chart positioning Lelouch estimated 1.2-2.4k, or around 15-30% of SMTV first week.
Yeesh that’s rough. And this is the week of launch in a country where JRPGs are especially frontloaded too.

I’m hoping this can get to at least 500K worldwide, but you have to assume Atlus had better numbers in mind (not that their decision making or marketing seems to have gotten that memo but still)

Yeesh that’s rough. And this is the week of launch in a country where JRPGs are especially frontloaded too.

I’m hoping this can get to at least 500K worldwide, but you have to assume Atlus had better numbers in mind (not that their decision making or marketing seems to have gotten that memo but still)
Well with Steam (and to a lesser extent Xbox), SH2 should still weight more digitally than SMTV and maybe SMTIII HD. But yeah, physical sales are real rough in Europe, far worse relatively than Japan imo.

I think 500-600k lifetime is a good target but it's going to take some heavy catalog discounting to get there. WOM is a lot worse than SMTV or P5.

With these low sales I don't see a Switch port down the line either unless it's already well underway secretly.

Well with Steam (and to a lesser extent Xbox), SH2 should still weight more digitally than SMTV and maybe SMTIII HD. But yeah, physical sales are real rough in Europe, far worse relatively than Japan imo.

I think 500-600k lifetime is a good target but it's going to take some heavy catalog discounting to get there. WOM is a lot worse than SMTV or P5.

With these low sales I don't see a Switch port down the line either unless it's already well underway secretly.

It would surprise me a lot if we don't see a port next year. They expected big numbers for the game, and any hope of them has been vanishing in front of our eyes one by one. They need any chance to sell more, and Switch is a very feasible platform to do that. However, that’s only happening if someone with better vision is in charge to make that decision.

With brings me to the only question still remaining: how long until Atlus understand that they aren’t big enough to pull a Bamco? What IP besides Persona do they have to justify bad market decisions?

Persona 5 success can lead to asumptions that aren’t real. Atlus is still a small company, and while the fact that a game made by them is a seal of quality for some people, is not enough to justify such a long list of obvious bad market decisions.

Last edited:
I think a Switch port was underway well before SH2 came out. And even if it hadn't been the case, I don't expect underperformance on these other systems to materially impact a change of the game coming to Switch sooner rather than later. A bit like Ni no Kuni 2, which similarly tracked and performed poorly, and then got a Switch port a few years later anyway.

a switch port will probably bomb as well at this point. game will be old news by then and the switch will have smtv and p5r on it too. what will a relatively mid spinoff do to attract the attention of switch owners then? if it fixes some of the issues of the game I'll give it a fighting chance but that's a big if.

a switch port will probably bomb as well at this point. game will be old news by then and the switch will have smtv and p5r on it too. what will a relatively mid spinoff do to attract the attention of switch owners then?
Yes, a Switch port will probably underperform too.

Which also goes back to what I have said from the beginning, this game was always going to underperform, even if it had had a Switch version available at launch. It was just a fundamentally unappealing product for the market it was being aimed at.

Yes, a Switch port will probably underperform too.

Which also goes back to what I have said from the beginning, this game was always going to underperform, even if it had had a Switch version available at launch. It was just a fundamentally unappealing product for the market it was being aimed at.
it really was misfire after misfire. an attempt to bridge persona and smt that wound up missing the appealing parts of both series and is just okay. a supposed true next gen smt for the real consoles with a budget of approximately 5 dollars. skipping the switch and blowing all your advertising budget on the region where it's the strongest and you were set to basically underperform in even the best case scenario. and then capping it off by announcing highly anticipated ports which took all the air out of the room for your next big game. kind of incredible that the game didn't do worse.

Spain SH2 numbers are in. 2500 1st week (PS:Xbox 83:17) which is below SMTIII HD (2960, NSW: PS 63:37) and well below SMTV (6550).

3rd strike after Japan and UK.
It didn't make the top 10 in Switzerland and New Zealand and #8 in Australia, which is also weak. Those aren't big markets but they show that it doesn't seem to be doing very well anywhere really.

Last edited:
it really was misfire after misfire. an attempt to bridge persona and smt that wound up missing the appealing parts of both series and is just okay.
Reminds me of an attempt to crossover FE and SMT that wound up missing the appealing part of both series and is also just okay.

I think it's time for an adjustment to the question to, "will Soul Hackers 2 sell more than Shin Megami Tensei IV", since V very conclusively seems to be out of reach now (unless NPD charts show NA sales over performing to a historic extent)

Yep. SMTV is well out reach now (even before the inevitable PC port) and even reaching SMTIII HD sales might be too steep a target.

It's honestly a tragedy how this game was handled. TMS2 indeed.
At least TMS had the money of Avex and sold a lot of merchandising along side CD and fully sold concerts.
Soul Hackers 2 is just Atlus not understanding the market, the current interview show they want another Persona like IP without what make persona so popular.

What do you think the future holds for the TMS/SH2 team leads at Atlus?

Edit: also is this the first victim of the MHW bug?
What do you mean by "MHW bug"?

DQXI released before MHW, DQXI was just SE thinking back in early ps4 lifespan that like during the ps1/2 era they could change the market
I meant in terms of how the western release was handled, but yeah, good point

Maybe they will fall back to a lower budget Devil Survivor sequel with recycled assets from the HD SMT games.
Hope they won't miss the SRPG wave this time.

Digital Foundry covered the game and it's performance makeup matches the marketing. Lots of weird quirks that might further hurt word of mouth. Could be fixed with patches, but I don't see atlus giving the game the time of day

Probably the last notable coverage of the game unless this gets a Switch port. But I don't see that happening

Since we all know SH2 will lose, why don't we guess the sales ratio.
I'll start: I think SH2 LTD will sell 50% of SMTV. If the latter goes multiplat, I'd wager 33%.

A new Etrian title would be nice. Probably poured more hours into that series than anything else in Atlus' IP library.

i thought i was not gonna chart, still
Yeah, honestly I'm surprised it charted at all.

As a huge fan of the original Soul Hackers this game does not appeal to me

I also don't think it has enough to appeal to the Persona or mainline SMT fans

It reminds me of TMS in that regard.

i thought i was not gonna chart, still
I get you, then again not charting in August would have been quite bad - this is the time frame where games like Octopath managed to get the Top Spot. Sure not the same but not charting last month would have been a mess, especially when the plattform choice seem to have been all about the the big boy console market in the US.

Back
Top Bottom