• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

Will Soul Hackers 2 sell more than Shin Megami Tensei V?

What will have better lifetime sales, SMTV or Soul Hackers 2?

• Shin Megami Tensei V

Votes: 165 67.6%
  • Soul Hackers 2

Votes: 44 18.0%
  • Shin Megami Tensei V, but only if the rumoured PC/PS4 versions release

Votes: 21 8.6%
  • Soul Hackers 2, but only if it gets a Switch port later

Votes: 14 5.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Wait it's out this month ? Holy Shit. I mean it's one of my most wanted games but for some reason I thought it would be a late September release. This is still really close to XB3, might not get it launch.

Hope it does well, things are looking shaky right now.

Atlus must be really baking on amazing reviews and great post release WoM because the marketing so far has been a bit disappointing.

Game is gonna be great so I'm hoping for the best but bring sandwiched between it's bigger siblings with SMTV and Persona Everywhere ports is probably gonna limit its sales potential.
Atlus threw the baby out when Persona came back. they ain't banking on shit other than the golden child

I’m still optimistic about the game, I just hope Atlus finally does something especially in the West because Japan is already lost

That's a good trailer. Not a great trailer, but at least I'm starting to get some sense of something (in this case, story and characters) from this.

Still wish they wouldn't be so reticent with showing gameplay footage. I'm not even sure I know what the battle UI looks like.

I say SMT V, it doesn't really look like there's going to be much of a turnaround now.

I'll just wait for the Switch version next year.

Finally they do something!
pd:Trailer hasn’t been updated in Atlus page at least at the moment idk why

Well, maybe Atlus is going to push more trailer the closer to release there? Dante to boost the sales?

Atlus refusing to show gameplay for the west is telling - they targeted the "big boy" audience with this game, while knowing that this type gameplay in combination with that level of graphics might not be enough to sell the game.

Style and presentation have always been a big part of Atlus games, so its expected to be front and center in the marketing but downplaying any kind of gameplay footage and details is disappointing. Just hope they will have more revealing gameplay loop trailers in the next couple weeks. That Style over Substance Bamco Anime games approach isnt the right fit for Atlus, their games are too good for that.

Atlus refusing to show gameplay for the west is telling - they targeted the "big boy" audience with this game, while knowing that this type gameplay in combination with that level of graphics might not be enough to sell the game.

Style and presentation have always been a big part of Atlus games, so its expected to be front and center in the marketing but downplaying any kind of gameplay footage and details is disappointing. Just hope they will have more revealing gameplay loop trailers in the next couple weeks. That Style over Substance Bamco Anime games approach isnt the right fit for Atlus, their games are too good for that.
This sadly reminds me of Naoki Yoshida saying that better graphics don't work well with turn-based combat. One of the most senseless declarations I've seen in recent time.

This sadly reminds me of Naoki Yoshida saying that better graphics don't work well with turn-based combat. One of the most senseless declarations I've seen in recent time.
A puppet has to bow to the decisions of its string-puller (financier) and stand in front defending them, however illogical and confusing they may be.

At least that's what certain interviews of his sound like in my opinion.

Based on what thought? Preorder numbers are dismal, social media engagement is dismal, marketing is dismal, awareness is dismal, the best shot it had at success was as a stand-in/consolation game for platforms without Persona buoying its sales, and even that’s gone now.

Can it still do well? Of course. Marketing might ramp up, reviews might be excellent, word of mouth could be overwhelmingly positive. But right now there is absolutely nothing to indicate it can even match SMTV, let alone exceed it.
Nothing is suggesting it will on any metric. Pre order charting is lower than SMT V, social media engagement on YouTube, Twitter, etc is lower than SMT V. On a 'technological" level, I would say SMT V seems like the more "advanced" game than this.

More platforms does not inherently mean more sales, especially so when the marketing is nonexistent and the one platform it IS skipping is by far the biggest for JRPGs like this.

I have yet to see any reason it can outsell SMT5. just being on more systems isn't a guarantee of anything. no marketing to speak of, barely any gameplay footage, etc. I guess previews will be the last thing it'll have going for it outside of the launch trailer, but that's not a lot of time and people already divided their attention elsewhere

Based on the deliberate platform strategy and the fact it is on so many platforms. You all are setting way too low expectations for a game that Altus seems to be invested into (it has many company "firsts"). The marketing could be better, but I would argue the execution is exactly the same (weirdly lopsided towards Japan, not much in the west, demon reveals, smallish video cuts of the game) as SMTV, with the very key exception of not having direct support (but they got PS TVCM support).

I mean, writing off chance of SH2 outselling SMTV is for me fool's errand. Who knows if Atlus will suddenly do hefty price cut for the title and it get good wom from there? That can lead it to sell 1m and probably outsell SMTV. Anything can happen.

I mean, writing off chance of SH2 outselling SMTV is for me fool's errand. Who knows if Atlus will suddenly do hefty price cut for the title and it get good wom from there? That can lead it to sell 1m and probably outsell SMTV. Anything can happen.
As well as SMTV coming to other platforms and getting the same kind of price reductions + DLC/GotY etc. editions.

SH2 has the benefit of not having any current gen competition on PC and Xbox, as of now.

Cross-posting:

Soul Hackers 2 previews are out and they’re overwhelmingly positive and glowing. Will this review well and manage a longer tail based on word of mouth?

Cross-posting:

Soul Hackers 2 previews are out and they’re overwhelmingly positive and glowing. Will this review well and manage a longer tail based on word of mouth?

We finally got our SMT with heart.

I don't actually think the glowing previews will translate to super high review scores in the end, but it'd be cool if it does do well critically.

Last edited:
Cross-posting:

It would be cool if SH2 does well, but I doubt "glowing" reviews will help. For JRPGs, unless the game is previewed as the second coming of God, nothing of that has a big effect on the market.

SH2 getting near SMT would be extremely good for Atlus. SMT is there second main franchise. The increase in budget would pay off and encourage them to do the same for SMT.

I'm curious how much of the Persona fanbase on Playstation is going to pick this up.

I didn't even pay attention to Soul Hackers 2, because it's a sequel and I thought it would be some weird side project by Atlus, but just today I looked up the trailers and it actually looks pretty good and the previews are pretty positive, so maybe I should get on the train.

It appears Microsoft is adding Cloud Streaming for games NOT available on Game Pass. I bring this up because it seems Soul Hackers 2 will be one of the supported games.

Currently an unannounced feature but it should be announced quite shortly. Not sure if you need a Game Pass to use the feature.

It appears Microsoft is adding Cloud Streaming for games NOT available on Game Pass. I bring this up because it seems Soul Hackers 2 will be one of the supported games.

Currently an unannounced feature but it should be announced quite shortly. Not sure if you need a Game Pass to use the feature.

Even if it supports cloud play without being on Game Pass I don't see that moving the needle at all. In terms of people who will be swayed (or not) into buying this game, I would say that the number who make a decision based on xCloud availability is a fraction of the number of people who will be swayed by Steam Deck compatibility (which itself is a fraction of the total sales this game will get, which all things are pointing towards not being too high to begin with).

SH2 getting near SMT would be extremely good for Atlus. SMT is there second main franchise. The increase in budget would pay off and encourage them to do the same for SMT.

I'm curious how much of the Persona fanbase on Playstation is going to pick this up.
Looking at both games, I'm pretty sure SMTV already had a higher budget than SH2.

Coming back to this thread months later and I guess my biggest thing is WHY Atlus West dropped the ball on this? Of course I know if they have a choice between marketing Persona's anniversary merch over a new game they'll of course choose the former, but considering all the content and gameplay videos that Atlus JP released, it really does feel like they're relying on their niche established fanbase to just keep informed about this game. I could understand that if we were still back in the days of staggered release but it's not the best choice for worldwide releases and on new gen at that where you could actually build an audience.

Publishers like Bandai Namco, Idea Factory, NIS America have all gotten pretty into doing small live gameplay twitch streams for their RPGs and I don't get why Atlus won't/can't? do it.

Last edited:
After the game failing in being that third pillar, I wonder if Atlus is gonna care about port the game to switch.
I guess that depends of how well persona 5 does on switch.

After the game failing in being that third pillar, I wonder if Atlus is gonna care about port the game to switch.
I guess that depends of how well persona 5 does on switch.
If an SH2 Switch port exists it was green lit a fair bit ago and has nothing to do with how the Persona ports on Switch do either way.

Coming back to this thread months later and I guess my biggest thing is WHY Atlus West dropped the ball on this?
It’s interesting because it’s not even like Atlus West hasn’t put forth more meaningful marketing efforts than what they’ve given SH2 (I maintain they gave a bigger push to the 13S port earlier this year, and that was a late port of a far more niche game). I also wonder if they were the ones who made the decision either way (I feel like the decision came from on high over in Japan).

Reviewed higher than SMT V and Xenoblade 3 on famistu. Highest rated Atlus game since the original P5. It’s even higher than Royal.

Last edited:
Too many people downplaying how this game should do.

Given the supposed quality of the game Atlus themselves certainly do not expect it to fail

I think mid to high 80s, previews are positive and the style of games Atlus makes helps them score high.

Western SH2 scores are here and they dont seem to be good enough to compensate for the lack of marketing.
Not reaching SMTV or XB3 type of scores.

The more ive seen from the game the more i didnt understand why they skipped Switch.

Edit. Not to shit on the game, still excited about it but based on the critical reception in the west i can understand why Sega/Atlus probably didnt felt to go crazy with the marketing. Especially when Person 5 Royal is dropping soon anyway. Overall just a weird timeline in terms of announcement to release for this project.

I expected these low scores even more when famitsu gave it that high
It gave me a bit of deja vu from when NMH3 had the IGN review go live with 9/10. At least that was pretty hype at the start, then people saw it, then fans tried to play up the JP score / previews and then it finally got a middling reception at release.

It's lower than I was expecting, which is unfortunate. Word of mouth could carry it, but there's other games coming out that would steal the spotlight.

5qwlOJd.jpg

Question: How does this screenshot make you feel?

Multiplattform development and optimization can be difficult on a tight budget, seems like even the PS5 version has longish load times the minimal/stylish areas.

Which would explain why Switch wasn't there Day 1 if they are struggling to hit the other systems. They probably had to ship it before P5R.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom