• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

Atlus output strategy | Discussion thread

KT just finally mentioned PS on Wo Long on their twitter account. It seems MS may actually be paying these pubs to delay multiplat announcements?

Atlus West's PR must be very thankfully E3 was cancelled otherwise they would be constantly asked about Switch ports on the show floor.

If Nintendo is not the publisher of the Switch versions...Atlus just ended its Switch cycle, and possibly when the "Switch2" comes out, they will wait years to release something there.
I'm not even talking about the missing Switch versions, just that suddenly P3P and P4G are PS4 but skipping PS5. This rollout's all over the place.

I'm not even talking about the missing Switch versions, just that suddenly P3P and P4G are PS4 but skipping PS5. This rollout's all over the place.
I mean it makes sense not to spend time updating games literally three generations old to the latest and greatest cutting edge tech. Just make them available for cheap, the people who want to play P4G on PS5 don't particularly care if they can't see all the pores on Adachi's face.

I mean it makes sense not to spend time updating games literally three generations old to the latest and greatest cutting edge tech. Just make them available for cheap, the people who want to play P4G on PS5 don't particularly care if they can't see all the pores on Adachi's face.
But they're doing XBS versions? And then why also bother with P5R on PS5, it's also already on PS4?

There we go. I guess this confirms the 48 hours window? What a waste of money by Xbox, its not going to help the sales split in anyway if you embargo announcements.

But they're doing XBS versions? And then why also bother with P5R on PS5, it's also already on PS4?

PS5 version might get some extra performance options?
It could be Atlus being weird about how Playstation and Xbox handle upgrade systems:

Xbox has one SKU via smart delivery which could explain why all three mention both XB1 and XBS.
Playstation has an upgrade plan between SKUs. P3P, P4G are PS4 games that do not have a PS5 SKU, PS5 owners will play it through BC. P5R might have a separate PS5 SKU with added performance.

There it is, the PS4 versions were just missing from the initial Atlus PR. Also it'd be weird that PS5 would be the only nextgen to have a native port if the Series versions are relying on BC.

EDIT: Also, I doubt Soul Hackers has any chance of selling even a million now that ATLUS West is all over Persona going multiplatform and Royal is less than 2 months away from it.

Last edited:
There it is, the PS4 versions were just missing from the initial Atlus PR. Also it'd be weird that PS5 would be the only nextgen to have a native port if the Series versions are relying on BC.

EDIT: Also, I doubt Soul Hackers has any chance of selling even a million now that ATLUS West is all over Persona going multiplatform and Royal is less than 2 months away from it.
Yeah I’m pretty sure these versions are getting updated. I’m sure it will be either 4k or 60fps.

Well we were all wondering why the marketing around SH2 was anemic. It’s clear Atlus intends to market this has their “big” game. Which the Steam version should sell really well.

Atlus just don't like to work on switch.
Isn't that hard to get the message.
I just feel bad for all the marketing Nintendo wasted in SMTV.
All the work to create a fanbase hungry for Atlus games to the garbage.

Atlus just don't like to work on switch.
Isn't that hard to get the message.
I just feel bad for all the marketing Nintendo wasted in SMTV.
All the work to create a fanbase hungry for Atlus games to the garbage.

This is such a strange thought. Nintendo marketed an exclusive Switch game that was roundly praised. It’s not somehow a waste because a spin-off series isn’t on Switch (and literally never was).

I assumed SH2 would be a game that runs at 4k 60, but apparently you have to choose between the two. Less than ideal, but since it’s turned based I think I can live with a low frame-rate and stick with 4K.

note it doesn't say what the frame rate is. sounds like it's unlocked. why they don't just go for a dynamic resolution, I don't know.

then again, 60fps mode by be some shit like 1440p or 1620p

No copium here since I've a PC so I'm set, but on the off chance that ATLUS actually did save the Switch versions for the Direct I want to say in advance that this marketing of their most infamous IP to multiplaform status has been pretty amazing in a "can't look away at a car crash" sort of way.
WELP

Yup I am eating some Crow.

Although I’ll say based on how strong this partner direct was, seems it was a Nintendo thing rather than Atlus.
I’ve said it before but Nintendo likes to put this kind of thing in their own directs. Its just how they are.

One of the longest and annoying pot begging finally ends, people can stop making theories of Atlus as something against Nintendo.
Hopefully P6 will be multiplat day one. Don't know if SMT is Nintendo funded, if not it could be multiplat too.

Yeah I’m now very curious to see what happens with P6. I would assume PS exclusive at launch with ports for other systems coming later (maybe it can be PC/PS at launch?) but also what do I know, I thought P5R wouldn’t come to Switch ever

Crossing fingers for a P6 multiplatform release day one. People like to do comparisons with what Square is doing but Atlus is not Square. Atlus is Atlus...which may also be a "bad" thing but I hope SEGA makes them understand the benefits of going multiplat.

Why do I have the feeling that Persona 6 is gonna be one of those games that refuses to tell us the platforms its on when it finally gets announced?

I hope it’s multi-platform while they also do that. Best of both worlds, everyone gets the game and we get some entertaining discourse.

Why do I have the feeling that Persona 6 is gonna be one of those games that refuses to tell us the platforms its on when it finally gets announced?
Has Atlus ever actually done that? Other than Re:Fantasy, which to be fair seems like it was announced after a day of Saejima doodling

RE:Fantasy was also kinda that, just a look into Atlus future. It will not release until 2023/2024 at best
Yeah, that's what I meant when I made the joke about it being announced after an afternoon of doodling lol, it's not a real announcement.

lol, they will do exactly this.
Dont understand why companies do this.
Are they waiting for money-hats or waiting for MS/SONY/Nintendo to do a marketing deal? Kingdom Hearts 4, Wonder Woman and the new Dragon Quest game (sorry, dont remember the current number) came to mind.

Dont understand why companies do this.
Are they waiting for money-hats or waiting for MS/SONY/Nintendo to do a marketing deal? Kingdom Hearts 4, Wonder Woman and the new Dragon Quest game (sorry, dont remember the current number) came to mind.
They do this because the game is early enough in development that target platforms have not yet been finalized and/or announced (such as the announcement of TES6 in 2018, Watch Dogs in 2012, etc.)

They do this because the game is early enough in development that target platforms have not yet been finalized and/or announced (such as the announcement of TES6 in 2018, Watch Dogs in 2012, etc.)
While I agree with this assessment, it's kind of funny that one of the reasons constantly proposed by people here about why Switch gets a late port is because it was an unknown platform in the planning stage of the game.

While I agree with this assessment, it's kind of funny that one of the reasons constantly proposed by people here about why Switch gets a late port is because it was an unknown platform in the planning stage of the game.
I think if Nintendo consoles start exhibiting stability in the quality and quantity of install base between generations going forward, we'll see less variability in the third party support they see in the first few years of their life for sure. In fact, we have already seen this with Nintendo's handheld line (yes, I know the Switch stands as an exception to that, but Nintendo's positioning of it was as a home system, so it was at least as much a follow up to the Wii U as 3DS in general perception).

Yeah, announcing platforms early is all downside and no upside. You get it wrong or change plans and you’re at the downstream of gamer vitriol from whatever segment of people feels misled. You get it right and get… nothing you would’ve missed by just waiting to announce platforms when it’s set in stone. There’s no good reason to do it, it’s just inviting unnecessary controversy.

Well that clearly doesn't apply to all examples.

Games like EDF6 and Kuro no Kiseki didn't reveal platforms despite clearly being PlayStation 4 games, and they were never going to be anything else.

Sometimes is also to search for deals as mentioned above, is a way to sell your product to 3rd parties if there is public support for the game publishers/platform holders are more likely to take the deal. Other times tho is just to reserve it to make another announcement and get media attention again

I wonder if the new P5R releases will be ported inhouse or farmed out? Looking back at P-Studio they did P4D PS4 inhouse (sorta, the original also had a tiny inhouse design team with a bunch of contract companies doing the rest) but P4G Steam was outsourced.

I'm guessing Preapp Partners will handle the console P4G ports again and also do P3P.

I wonder if the new P5R releases will be ported inhouse or farmed out? Looking back at P-Studio they did P4D PS4 inhouse (sorta, the original also had a tiny inhouse design team with a bunch of contract companies doing the rest) but P4G Steam was outsourced.

I'm guessing Preapp Partners will handle the console P4G ports again and also do P3P.
Who did Catherine Full Body on Switch?

Cross-posting:

Soul Hackers 2 previews are out and they’re overwhelmingly positive and glowing. Will this review well and manage a longer tail based on word of mouth?

SH 2 reviews should start coming in now, starting with a 38/40 from Famitsu. Not bad.

I'm not going to lie: This game getting a higher score than XB3 leaves me baffled, based on everything I've seen. Feels like Atlus-games get some weird bonus, same as the ridiculous 95% metacritic score for Persona 5. If it truly is that good, good for fans. Will be interesting if that helps its sales.

I'm not going to lie: This game getting a higher score than XB3 leaves me baffled, based on everything I've seen. Feels like Atlus-games get some weird bonus, same as the ridiculous 95% metacritic score for Persona 5. If it truly is that good, good for fans. Will be interesting if that helps its sales.
Considering that their successful games are only successful due to wom, a high metacritic is all that matters

Back
Top Bottom