• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

Atlus output strategy | Discussion thread

I think are expecting too much of the sales of Persona 5 Royal Switch, i think Nier Automata its going to sell much better
Interesting. What's your argument here?

I'd argue P5R will sell better, because it adds something to the game that many Persona-fans had missed since P4G. Meainwhile Nier: Automata Switch will be the worst version of a game that's all about those sweet 60fps.

I think are expecting too much of the sales of Persona 5 Royal Switch, i think Nier Automata its going to sell much better
There is a lot of evidence suggesting P5R sales will be far higher than Nier's on Switch

On the other hand Nier Automata is already available on every other system and has been for years. The potential audience for this port is people who have no other console. In the US that's less than 30% of switch owners.
Nier Automata on Switch would look like an inferior version compared to other versions, while P5R being fundamentally a PS3 game should not pose this problem.

I'm going to bet on P5R Switch >= P5R Steam > Nier Switch >>>>> P5R Xbox

Last edited:
The best version is the version you can play. Nier A and P5R coming to Switch opens a gigantic audience in Japan, as currently the only way to play the game is 1. Build a time machine to get a PS4 when they were available. 2 Win the PS5 lottery. 3 Lose all your money buying PS5 from scalper or capable PC hardware.

A million is nice, and as someone in Japan who uses their PC to play games on Steam, I won't diminish its contribution to the market. However, there are over 25 million Switches here. A game not available on Switch is not reaching its full potential. I think both these games will do good numbers.

The addressable audience for late Switch ports isn't just people without PlayStations, Xboxes or PCs. That's not why games like Skyrim, Doom, TW3, Okami HD, DDDA, Tetris Effect, Minecraft, DBFZ, etc, etc sold well on the platform. Or why P5R and Nier Automata will sell well, and they will.

Handheld play is a draw that's also been driving rebuying the same games on different platforms since 1989.

I still think P5 on Switch will run circles around Nier. Early metrics around both seems to indicate that will be true as well for now (though you can’t put too much stock in them, sure)

I still think P5 on Switch will run circles around Nier. Early metrics around both seems to indicate that will be true as well for now (though you can’t put too much stock in them, sure)
Nier has the benefit of being 40 dollars at launch. While Persona 5 might end up with a 60-dollar price tag if its Japanese price is any indication. While I do think Persona 5 will ultimately sell better on Switch then Nier's port will, I do think Nier does have an advantage with it being a cheaper game.

While most are talking about Persona or SH2.

I am actually hopeful here that after this game, we can get Atlus to put more effort for next Etrian on Switch as well as brand new Growlancer.

Considering how even Square the king of squandering stuff is able to understand that Switch is heaven's throne atm for Srpg and push out non stop Srpg this year.(Triangle, Diofield, Tactics Ogre, and Front Mission)

The fact that we miss Devil Survivor 3... for SH2 is a big big miss there. If DeSu 3 is to hit this year. I believe it will have sell good too with Srpg resurgence.

P5R Switch version screens are out
c6a5cbcc548d8b6a3cc32885ec85f8e9dc324138dfb990c150546c296a0973f9.jpg

bb2c68d6b951548fe4106f4e265d7cbfcd26bdd81601d5f23630de23b944e663.jpg

c2ffe755be039a6b4c382d045aed6c6734ff7bc01f95bcbf81fe57708b98e785.jpg

0c601b82eb82a0e53f1238cd422aec94cc6b59f8302c3c0bacaf9d5d689926ba.jpg

b9edc8c4468ef8e449a32ac840c6fa587ef985627434540c713db446b66dbdd1.jpg

4f6c5d6d7f2cbe88569d4466411073622cb55183be1aa922078fda5770285e28.jpg

Looking good! If the performance and loading hold up their end of the bargain, this might be a great port!

Japanese eShop pre-orders are also up: https://store-jp.nintendo.com/list/software/70010000042356.html

Looking good! If the performance and loading hold up their end of the bargain, this might be a great port!

Japanese eShop pre-orders are also up: https://store-jp.nintendo.com/list/software/70010000042356.html

Meanwhile the r/megaten and /persona5 subreddits are going on a meltdown because of the Switch port LOL
They think it's the worst port ever and that Switch can't handle it. It's funny to see how the reception changes so drastically depending on which forums you're in.

Meanwhile the r/megaten and /persona5 subreddits are going on a meltdown because of the Switch port LOL
They think it's the worst port ever and that Switch can't handle it. It's funny to see how the reception changes so drastically depending on which forums you're in.
I am not sure I see this to be honest. On both subreddits, news that the Switch file size is smaller was shared, and the top (and the majority of) comments on both threads are either guessing how Atlus achieved the smaller size (compression, lower resolution textures, lack of repeated assets, etc.), or just expressing excitement for the Switch port.

Are there other threads you had in mind? These are what I am looking at:

Persona 5 Royal on the Nintendo Switch is 12.5gb, 3 times smaller than the PS4 version

Nothing in either is what I would call a "meltdown", especially not en masse.

I don't see the difference, but looks good in switch
Lower res background and floor textures, but the difference is almost impossible to discern, and on the Switch handheld screen, will be impossible

I am not sure I see this to be honest. On both subreddits, news that the Switch file size is smaller was shared, and the top (and the majority of) comments on both threads are either guessing how Atlus achieved the smaller size (compression, lower resolution textures, lack of repeated assets, etc.), or just expressing excitement for the Switch port.

Are there other threads you had in mind? These are what I am looking at:

Nothing in either is what I would call a "meltdown", especially not en masse.

Ah, the comments were more negative when it was initially posted which caused me to have a more biased view of the threads. It does seem to be overwhelmingly positive now with the comments speculating the port to be a disaster being downvoted. I probably just saw the speculative comments in a more negative light because those two subs were the angriest when the Switch port was announced due to their dumb war with King Goomba.

Edit: my favorite comment in the thread:
it's gonna be 2D or something, I would be surprised the Nintendo can run it flawlessly, seeing how Don't Starve Together and Dead by Daylight can run on cellphones yet struggle hard on the switch.

praying time, buckos.

Last edited:
I did spot some brainrotting comments like "the file size is smaller because it's 30fps" and "Switch is weaker than PS3"... but I'm just gonna treat those as a vocal minority and assume these communities are looking forward to the Switch (and other) ports.

Ah, the comments were more negative when it was initially posted which caused me to have a more biased view of the threads. It does seem to be overwhelmingly positive now with the comments speculating the port to be a disaster being downvoted. I probably just saw the speculative comments in a more negative light because those two subs were the angriest when the Switch port was announced due to their dumb war with King Goomba.

Ahhh gotcha. Yes, I can see them by sorting them as controversial 😂
At least they are mostly downvoted though. Ultimately you will find this sort of low brow content everywhere, I'm afraid. I mean unless a community is as tightly curated and moderated as this one, stuff like that will always be a part of any sizeable online discussion unfortunately. On the whole though, the Switch version has seen a lot of excitement across the board. Of all the port announcements, the Switch version one was the most liked/engaged with/upvoted one on Twitter, Reddit, and YouTube. You are of course right that there was a lot of pushback because of hoe vocal King Goomba had become as a symbol for "port begging", but on the whole, I think there is a good amount of excitement for the Switch and Steam versions.

At least they are mostly downvoted though. Ultimately you will find this sort of low brow content everywhere, I'm afraid. I mean unless a community is as tightly curated and moderated as this one, stuff like that will always be a part of any sizeable online discussion unfortunately. On the whole though, the Switch version has seen a lot of excitement across the board. Of all the port announcements, the Switch version one was the most liked/engaged with/upvoted one on Twitter, Reddit, and YouTube. You are of course right that there was a lot of pushback because of hoe vocal King Goomba had become as a symbol for "port begging", but on the whole, I think there is a good amount of excitement for the Switch and Steam versions.
Who is King Goomba?

That comment. Are we back to 3DS and Wii era lol.

As much as King Goomba is king of port begging, you must give him some credit that he really keep asking for those stuff for years without stop lol.

I would love if he can use some of that power to ask for Code Vein and Scarlet Nexus for Switch late port as well lol.

There was also a commenter being worried since the "PS3 is more powerful than the Switch".

The Switch version of P5R's trailer took 12 hours to gain more views than the Xbox version (including the Xbox version Atlus uploaded on their channel) put together, and is now the highest viewed video for these upcoming ports.

Anyone who thinks that the Switch versions are "coming too late" has not been paying attention lol. This is the most demanded port of all time, and now that it's happening, we're going to see it explode.

The Switch version of P5R's trailer took 12 hours to gain more views than the Xbox version (including the Xbox version Atlus uploaded on their channel) put together, and is now the highest viewed video for these upcoming ports.

Anyone who thinks that the Switch versions are "coming too late" has not been paying attention lol. This is the most demanded port of all time, and now that it's happening, we're going to see it explode.
I mean it is late, would have sold millions on Switch alsone if they released it two years ago. Now it's releasing years after it has been cheap on Playstation for years, part of PS+ and while launching on PC and Gamepass at the same time.

Atlus and Sega have done everything possible to get every last sale and player on Playstation before bringing it to other systems. It doing well despite being quite late just shows much of missed opportunity it was not launching earlier in the Switch lifecycle while Joker was announced for Smash Bros.

The probably didn't want to migrate the Persona fanbase to Switch for obvious reasons.

I mean it is late, would have sold millions on Switch alsone if they released it two years ago. Now it's releasing years after it has been cheap on Playstation for years, part of PS+ and while launching on PC and Gamepass at the same time.

Atlus and Sega have done everything possible to get every last sale and player on Playstation before bringing it to other systems. It doing well despite being quite late just shows much of missed opportunity it was not launching earlier in the Switch lifecycle while Joker was announced for Smash Bros.

The probably didn't want to migrate the Persona fanbase to Switch for obvious reasons.
Sorry, to be clear I don't disagree that it is late compared to how well it could have done at the peak of its potential.

I am addressing the sentiment I have seen in some quarters that P5R on Switch isn't going to do particularly well and there is minimal hype for it and it will be overshadowed by the Steam and Xbox releases, and that the Switch release is now too late.

It's going to do great, it will still probably end up being the second bestselling SKU of the game overall.

Sorry, to be clear I don't disagree that it is late compared to how well it could have done at the peak of its potential.

I am addressing the sentiment I have seen in some quarters that P5R on Switch isn't going to do particularly well and there is minimal hype for it and it will be overshadowed by the Steam and Xbox releases, and that the Switch release is now too late.

It's going to do great, it will still probably end up being the second bestselling SKU of the game overall.
I've always been of the opinion that a Switch version will do very well, so far though only 10 points at COMG with 34 days to go.
Will have to wait and see if that picks up a lot before launch. Could also be that many are planning to buy at launch?

I've always been of the opinion that a Switch version will do very well, so far though only 10 points at COMG with 34 days to go.
Will have to wait and see if that picks up a lot before launch. Could also be that many are planning to buy at launch?
Oh I don't think the Japanese release is actually going to do as well; straight late ports don't generally seem to do as well there, has been my understanding. It's the rest of the world where I see the game doing strongly.

Not sure where else to ask this, but does anyone know why I can’t see the last page of the media create thread? it loads page 13 abut there’s like no content.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/xb...-and-discussions.482839/page-34#post-93199781
https://www.resetera.com/threads/xb...-and-discussions.482839/page-34#post-93200876
https://www.resetera.com/threads/xb...-and-discussions.482839/page-34#post-93201569
https://www.resetera.com/threads/xb...-and-discussions.482839/page-34#post-93204509
https://www.resetera.com/threads/xb...-and-discussions.482839/page-34#post-93224096
tried to get the whole conversation's context, as for the dude's trackrecord you're gonna have to take my word for granted because he literally just gives these infos randomly at these threads so it's hard to come by them now but at the top of my head i remeber him leaking in advance Persona 3 and 4 coming to gamepass as well some Spike Chunsoft titles like Danganronpa and Somnium Files

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom