• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

Atlus output strategy | Discussion thread

The only thing I don't like about the other platform announcements being held back is the online discourse surrounding the news. So many people gloating about it "skipping Switch" because they think Nintendo owners "deserved it" for port-begging. Xbox and PC gamers port-begged a lot (especially the latter constantly being hostile toward Nintendo platforms for being "weak"), but their behavior is somehow overlooked because they got the ports they wanted.

Imagine if there are multiple beggars on the street asking for money, but only one beggar gets money and they start talking about how others don't deserve money for being beggars. The hypocrisy is outstanding. Literally no difference between the beggars except that one got what they wanted and the others didn't. The one that got rewarded think it's because they're intrinsically special when that's not the case at all.

I hope this ends soon so I don't have to see those "look at the Nintendo tears lololol" comments again. Whether it be SH2 or Persona ports, it's just so insufferable.

Atlus: “well the surveys we sent out indicated a strong interest for Persona on Xbox, so we made it happen! For the fans!

Oh behind me? That’s just my laundry bag, sorry. Yeah, 6 months worth.”

They never seem to receive the Switch when talking about the survey results

Guys. These ports aren't even confirmed for Steam and PlayStation yet lol. Unless you seriously, actually think we are in a timeline where they would come to Xbox and Windows Store, but not PS and Steam - we don't even have to bring the Switch into the picture right now - any panicking is premature.

The only thing I don't like about the other platform announcements being held back is the online discourse surrounding the news. So many people gloating about it "skipping Switch" because they think Nintendo owners "deserved it" for port-begging. Xbox and PC gamers port-begged a lot (especially the latter constantly being hostile toward Nintendo platforms for being "weak"), but their behavior is somehow overlooked because they got the ports they wanted.

Imagine if there are multiple beggars on the street asking for money, but only one beggar gets money and they start talking about how others don't deserve money for being beggars. The hypocrisy is outstanding. Literally no difference between the beggars except that one got what they wanted and the others didn't. The one that got rewarded think it's because they're intrinsically special when that's not the case at all.

I hope this ends soon so I don't have to see those "look at the Nintendo tears lololol" comments again. Whether it be SH2 or Persona ports, it's just so insufferable.
This kind of discourse is common and happens all the time with everything. Not just Nintendo right now (which we are of course seeing), but any time fanboys find an opening against another platform, they use it.

It's dumb and silly and immature. Which is why we see so much of it in the gaming fanbase.

Wo Long is 100% multiplat (MS would have attached a moniker to it in the presentation, if not) so you'd expect Persona also to be multiplat.
Weirdly, JP Twitter account and website still only mentions Xbox and Windows (no Steam).

Marketing restriction on when to announce that your game is actually multiplat or Persona collection being Xbox exclusive? Weird both ways.

Wo Long is 100% multiplat (MS would have attached a moniker to it in the presentation, if not) so you'd expect Persona also to be multiplat.
Weirdly, JP Twitter account and website still only mentions Xbox and Windows (no Steam).

Marketing restriction on when to announce that your game is actually multiplat or Persona collection being Xbox exclusive? Weird both ways.
nothing is weird when you write enough zeros on the check

Wo Long just got the multiplat confirmation (PS4/PS5, XBO/XBS, PC), so it was just a slightly delayed platform announcement.

The Persona stuff is very strange though. They are now rolling out promotional material like the Persona 25th anniversary video with Morgana and Teddie celebrating the ports, which are still mentioned to be only Xbox/PC. So this doesn't seem like a delayed platform announcement case here.

The only wierd thing is the people that have hopes in Atlus games for switch.
Its easy Atlus want money, Microsoft give them money they get games, Nintendo don't give money so no games.

Atlus could give less of a damn to all those switch users.

You guys might be right but why Windows instead of Steam when MS itself launches XGS on Steam? Gamepass deal since GP isn't on Steam but it seems to be available for purchase as well?

You guys might be right but why Windows instead of Steam when MS itself launches XGS on Steam? Gamepass deal since GP isn't on Steam but it seems to be available for purchase as well?
There maybe an obscure rule that I keep pointing out that no one can confirm but it has to do with Window Store versions of late Xbox ports. While this rule may not exist; it is clear that MS is still trying to drive some business to that store front. It could also end up being a “Play anywhere” title.

Yeah I think collectively this is enough evidence to conclude that Switch isn’t a part of Atlus’ strategy going forward. Which is unfortunate, particularly for a company that still places primacy on the domestic market, but it’s the decision they’ve made ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yeah I think collectively this is enough evidence to conclude that Switch isn’t a part of Atlus’ strategy going forward. Which is unfortunate, particularly for a company that still places primacy on the domestic market, but it’s the decision they’ve made ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
If SH2 underperforms there might be a change of strategy when it comes to Nintendo hardware support, of course this is a big might and they may just prefer to go full West and do like Tales Of Arise.

No copium here since I've a PC so I'm set, but on the off chance that ATLUS actually did save the Switch versions for the Direct I want to say in advance that this marketing of their most infamous IP to multiplaform status has been pretty amazing in a "can't look away at a car crash" sort of way.

It has just come to my mind that when the great PlayStation Vita was in 2019 a totally decomposed corpse Atlus decided it was worth releasing Catherine: Full Body, a game that sold worldwide (it did not leave Japan) 20.000 units or less. 3 years later with a Switch dominating the domestic market and also being an immense success overseas we are not sure if Nintendo's system will get a bunch of old as hell ports, it is hilarious.

It has just come to my mind that when the great PlayStation Vita was in 2019 a totally decomposed corpse Atlus decided it was worth releasing Catherine: Full Body, a game that sold worldwide (it did not leave Japan) 20.000 units or less. 3 years later with a Switch dominating the domestic market and also being an immense success overseas we are not sure if Nintendo's system will get a bunch of old as hell ports, it is hilarious.
When a company wants to support a platform no matter the sales it shows versus being forced by sales or Nintendo money.

The denial is so strong here.
Guys just let it go.
Atlus don't want to work on switch, not matter how many "trials" they success, they don't like the switch.

It is often helpful to look back at Vita support to see how some of these companies operate.

BN/Atlus/Sega/Falcom/etc would bend over backwards to downport games on that platform. Power and sales numbers never seemed to be an obstacle.

It’s important to remember that a lot of the Vita support was the result of the PS3/PS4/PSVita ecosystem Sony tried to create, trying to make all one platform after Vita failure. Of course this experiment failed but is a huge reason for the support it got, once Sony pushed for PS4 only most companies followed suit.

No Switch ports announced in press release.

And then people expect you not get emotional, lol. Nah, it's fine and I think this really is the final straw after which we need to acknowledge: Atlus won't (for the foreseeable future) properly support Switch, for reasons that we're not allowed to mention or else it'd be considered too emotional. Excuse the little passive-aggressiveness here, but it's hard to think of an actual sound business reason for neglecting the Switch.

But some seem to still believe these ports are coming in a Direct this month? Let's go for one final round of hopium, I guess ...

Does Nintendo tell third parties to withhold their platform announcements so they can announce them at a later, nearby (<1 month) date?

Does Nintendo tell third parties to withhold their platform announcements so they can announce them at a later, nearby (<1 month) date?
They did it with Life is Strange, so it's not impossible, just don't have any expectations so you don't get disappointed.

It’s important to remember that a lot of the Vita support was the result of the PS3/PS4/PSVita ecosystem Sony tried to create, trying to make all one platform after Vita failure. Of course this experiment failed but is a huge reason for the support it got, once Sony pushed for PS4 only most companies followed suit.

Sure, but Catherina is a very specific case where they took a PS3 game and went to the effort of downporting to Vita rather than a game targeting all three from inception.

Sure, but Catherina is a very specific case where they took a PS3 game and went to the effort of downporting to Vita rather than a game targeting all three from inception.
Catherine Full Body was peak Atlus being Atlus moment that's true, between skipping Switch and releasing just the original a couple of months before in PC.

Catherine Full Body was peak Atlus being Atlus moment that's true, between skipping Switch and releasing just the original a couple of months before in PC.
They ported it to Switch later on while not even doing that for PC, though it seems people are fine with the OG port nowadays.

It’s quickly becoming apparent, or could already just be, that “Atlus being Atlus” that people mention just isn’t true anymore. They are at this point purely skipping switch for games that would have zero problem running and are clearly a fit given SMTV and other JRPGs performance on the system.

This isn’t lol random anymore, the pattern is crystal clear and now reproducible.

I feel some cash definitely exchanged hands to make these ports happen and Atlus isn't willing to put in the work to do the same for Switch without being paid first. Assuming the games don't come to Switch, I personally still think they might.

I feel some cash definitely exchanged hands to make these ports happen and Atlus isn't willing to put in the work to do the same for Switch without being paid first. Assuming the games don't come to Switch, I personally still think they might.
I'm always confused by this sentiment. Isn't the cash from the switch sales suppose to be that motivation?

Like they didn't need nintendo cash to port 13 sentinels.

Microsoft got 3 mainline titles while not even receiving a single spin-off, not even the re-release of the fighting game this year that WAS initially on Xbox. It's definitely funny how at this point ATLUS is the sole abnormality on predicting plans regarding platform investment when every other JP dev have easily shown what they want to focus on.

Microsoft got 3 mainline titles while not even receiving a single spin-off, not even the re-release of the fighting game this year that WAS initially on Xbox. It's definitely funny how at this point ATLUS is the sole abnormality on predicting plans regarding platform investment when every other JP dev have easily shown what they want to focus on.
It’s easy to understand when you keep in mind Atlus didn’t develop arena or strikers.

I'm always confused by this sentiment. Isn't the cash from the switch sales suppose to be that motivation?

Like they didn't need nintendo cash to port 13 sentinels.
I mean it doesn't make business sense but it's one explanation. 13 Sentinels could be a different team or whatever. It doesn't make sense to think Atlus hates Switch either when they ported 13 Sentinels to the platform either by that logic.

I mean it doesn't make business sense but it's one explanation. 13 Sentinels could be a different team or whatever. It doesn't make sense to think Atlus hates Switch either when they ported 13 Sentinels to the platform either by that logic.
might be a case of Vanillaware desiring it

It’s easy to understand when you keep in mind Atlus didn’t develop arena or strikers.
Except they publish the titles and decide where they get to go to, it's not on ArcSys or KT on where they get to go. Musou titles are on Xbox right now with KT bringing their latest title to the platform and ArcSys' lastest fighting game skipped the Switch so using those as basis for the platform choices doesn't work.

13 Sentinels is vanillaware.
Except it's published by Atlus, if they didn't want to bring it to Switch they would've said no.

Except they publish the titles and decide where they get to go to, it's not on ArcSys or KT on where they get to go. Musou titles are on Xbox right now with KT bringing their latest title to the platform and ArcSys' lastest fighting game skipped the Switch so using those as basis for the platform choices doesn't work.

Except it's published by Atlus, if they didn't want to bring it to Switch they would've said no.
Developers can absolutely have a say in what systems they want their games on. Edit: Misunderstood that. Look at the dates for KT's strikers, it started dev back when OG P5 released. Strive is a different beast than Arena, and the point is when you focus on Atlus's own games the current pattern sets a clear picture.

I understand denial, but when two pillars (Atlus refers to them as such) are available on all platforms but Switch, there is only 1 conclusion

Last edited:
Developers can absolutely have a say in what systems they want their games on. Edit: Misunderstood that. Look at the dates for KT's strikers, it started dev back when OG P5 released. Strive is a different beast than Arena, and the point is when you focus on Atlus's own games the current pattern sets a clear picture.

I understand denial, but when two pillars (Atlus refers to them as such) are available on all platforms but Switch, there is only 1 conclusion
Yes, it started development after it's release, at the same time as P5R, what does that prove? Both were published by Atlus yet one released on the Switch as well as Steam for it's western release. KT is perfectly fine with having to develop PS only titles as initially seen with Nioh so there certainly wasn't an issue with developing for only PS4 if ATLUS really wanted to. ArcSys also has developed UE4 games on Switch and Xbox with DBFZ, so they definitely could've made a port if they wanted to but chose not to for Strive, yet they decided on PS and Steam for their own self-published game. Saying these devs pushed for the platforms when their own titles have excluded said platforms doesn't make any sense. And ATLUS does own P4A and P5S, don't know why your claiming such things.

I wasn't denying not acknowledging anything, I was saying that ATLUS is completely unpredictable in terms of platform investment which they absolutely are and will probably continue to be. If a random ATLUS title gets announced for Switch I'm sure everyone will go about asking why said title is coming yet not SH2 or a mainline Persona.

I’d like to add If Atlus had put Strikers on Xbox and they were trying to negotiate a deal that would have put them on the back foot.

Both games could still arrive on Xbox for more money.

Yes, it started development after it's release, at the same time as P5R, what does that prove? Both were published by Atlus yet one released on the Switch as well as Steam for it's western release. KT is perfectly fine with having to develop PS only titles as initially seen with Nioh so there certainly wasn't an issue with developing for only PS4 if ATLUS really wanted to. ArcSys also has developed UE4 games on Switch and Xbox with DBFZ, so they definitely could've made a port if they wanted to but chose not to for Strive, yet they decided on PS and Steam for their own self-published game. Saying these devs pushed for the platforms when their own titles have excluded said platforms doesn't make any sense. And ATLUS does own P4A and P5S, don't know why your claiming such things.

I wasn't denying not acknowledging anything, I was saying that ATLUS is completely unpredictable in terms of platform investment which they absolutely are and will probably continue to be. If a random ATLUS title gets announced for Switch I'm sure everyone will go about asking why said title is coming yet not SH2 or a mainline Persona.
Own as in developed by them.

The problem is people said the same thing...in the run up to Persona announcement excluding switch. And the first thought anyone will have if something is announced for switch will be "How much did Nintendo pay for that exclusive?"

Own as in developed by them.

The problem is people said the same thing...in the run up to Persona announcement excluding switch. And the first thought anyone will have if something is announced for switch will be "How much did Nintendo pay for that exclusive?"
Except no one predicted Xbox to be involved at all with Persona, certainly not based off SH2 coming when that game doesn't even have a marketing deal with them nor is coming to GamePass anytime soon. That and an ATLUS title coming to Switch doesn't equate to instant exclusive, where did that even come from. The only payment Nintendo has made regarding their titles was SMTV, the rest was from Atlus' own pockets.

The question is how long do you wait for a pattern to form.

Maybe it's easier to look at timeframes. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but following the announcement of Persona 5 Royal at the end of 2018 everything Atlus announced up until the end of 2021 had a Switch version. The two announcements we've seen in 2022 have been PS/XB/PC.

I'd wait a bit longer. No PS4 is even more bizarre than no SW.

MS seems to have announcement exclusivity windows, according to Gematsu, Wo Long was meant to be announced by KT as multiplat on June 14th. Yakuza 7 iirc also had a weird tiered announcement.

We know platform holders have contracts that prevent competing platform holders from advertising their partnered 3rd party games through traditional media or even social channels.

Have to say, first time I've heard of withholding multiplat announcements for a day+

SMT V or making sure Persona 6 comes to Xbox are bigger deals, but I think Persona 5 Strikers (and maybe other spin-offs) are the logical next games
I wonder what kind of money Atlus tells MS they demand for P6 on Xbox day 1 (multiplat) or whether Atlus simply denies a non-PlayStation versions regardless of money.

I wonder what kind of money Atlus tells MS they demand for P6 on Xbox day 1 (multiplat) or whether Atlus simply denies a non-PlayStation versions regardless of money.
Why SEGA wouldn't force Atlus to accept the money? Loyalty ends when the green money starts as we have seen with some publishers in Japan

They're most likely not developing these Persona ports either.

Catherine Classic was produced by Sega Europe. Atlus had nothing to do with it really.

So today is the day the "announcement embargo" is up and they announce the collection for PS5 as well?

I'm only questioning it because they already put out that 25th anniversary video only mentioning Xbox/Windows, pinned a tweet only mentioning Xbox/Windows, changed the Twitter banner that only mentions Xbox/Windows, etc.

Not to mention that leaked press release only mentioning PS5 and not PS4 sounds like a mistake to me, because Xbox One is getting P3P and P4G.

So today is the day the "announcement embargo" is up and they announce the collection for PS5 as well?

I'm only questioning it because they already put out that 25th anniversary video only mentioning Xbox/Windows, pinned a tweet only mentioning Xbox/Windows, changed the Twitter banner that only mentions Xbox/Windows, etc.

Not to mention that leaked press release only mentioning PS5 and not PS4 sounds like a mistake to me, because Xbox One is getting P3P and P4G.
They didn't, considering that there wasn't a release date in the PR for the PS5/Steam versions there's a real chance that this is a timed exclusive for Microsoft, or at least timed in terms of marketing the other versions as we saw with Team Ninja's title but for more than 2 days. Either way we definitely weren't supposed to see that PR statement anytime soon.

Back
Top Bottom