• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

JAPAN: Nintendo software and hardware sales data from 1983 to present

But then what about the start of the PlayStation's reign?
As September 1997 the situation was as following.

As always it's sell-in data.

The million sellers were grouped under the current publisher name which could represent multiple historical entities (due to name changes, merges and acquisitions).
Here the notable grouping, listing the entities who delivered million selling games in Japan (not listed if the current publisher name matches the historical name):

Nintendo: Nintendo.
Square Enix: Square Enix, Enix, Square.
Konami: Konami, Hudson Soft.
Bandai Namco: Bandai, Namco, Banpresto.
Sega Sammy: Sega.
ASCII Media Works: ASCII.

wJ2jjva.jpg

jtyJ8NJ.jpg

Last edited:
To understand the impact Square had on the first PlayStation, this is the million sellers list for PS1 (with an intruder) as September 1997:

TqmgNHZ.jpg

Square launched three games between January and July 1997 that shipped over 1M units by September 1997.

EDIT:
As for the battle with the Sega Saturn, Namco's arcade hits ported exclusively on PS1 balanced out Sega arcade hit ports on Saturn.
Resident Evil (Bio Hazard) would eventually come out on Saturn in Japan, 15 months after the original release on PS1! (the sequel would only come out on PS1)
A Derby Stallion game would eventually land on Saturn but only in 1999 when the console was in its dying phase.
And, then as the above shows, Square turned the table in 1997, lifting the whole PlayStation ecosystem.

Last edited:
Before I forget:
What are the commonly known shipment figures for Famicon games (NES acronym in OP), in actuality don't distiguish between the cartridge version and the disk version when available.
For example Super Mario Bros. staggering 6.81M units sold is the result of combining 6.18M sold by the cart version and the 0.63M sold by the disk version.

Summary of million sellers in Japan as December 2005 (sell-in data)

At the end of 2005 DS was starting the booming phase but was still far from the heights reached in 2006 and 2007.
In just little over 1 year Nintendo's first-party millon sellers on DS had accumulated sales for 5.07 million units.
Therefore the Nintendo's first-party slice was at a low 46% (as December 2004 was even lower).

The million sellers were grouped under the current publisher name which could represent multiple historical entities (due to name changes, merges and acquisitions).
Here the notable grouping, listing the entities who delivered million selling games in Japan (not listed if the current publisher name matches the historical name):

Nintendo: Nintendo, Pokemon Co.
Square Enix: Square Enix, Enix, Square, Taito.
SIE: SIE, SCE.
Konami: Konami, Hudson Soft.
Bandai Namco: Bandai, Namco, Banpresto, D3 Publisher.
Koei Tecmo: Koei.
Sega Sammy: Sega, Sammy.
ASCII Media Works: ASCII.

T0T5UTu.jpg

99brBbQ.jpg

Last edited:
Since 2006, and roughly estimating the missing third-party million sellers, Nintendo first-party software accounted for ~66% of the million selling games total sales in Japan (~70% without taking in consideration the missing third-party million sellers).

Last edited:
Updated the million seller datagrid and pie chart on post #3 by adding the missing Winning Eleven 10.
There are so many WE that I never realized I missed one until now.

You showed in little words how much of a comeback Nintendo made after being pushed on the sidelines but the PS in 1997. Great charts.

Top 20 best selling games of all time in Japan updated !

Those Switch games are climbing very fast, a few spots gained by a few of them with AC still on top and nearing 10m.
Super Mario Land 3 sold in excess of 4M copies? Would that not rather be the first one?

I still think the Switch will become the best selling system ever in Japan. It will surpass DS. The software line up does not look like it will slow down anytime soon. I suppose Nintendo would not launch a Splatoon 3 on it if they didn't think they could sell it for 3 more years.

Top 20 best selling games of all time in Japan updated !

Those Switch games are climbing very fast, a few spots gained by a few of them with AC still on top and nearing 10m.

I sound like a broken record but if you add the 200k++ Pokémon SKU that released during holiday last year, then PokeSwSh jumps up several places

Top 20 best-selling Nintendo games in Japan

1. [NSW] Animal Crossing: New Horizons - 9.62m
  2. [GB] Pokémon Red/Green - 8.22m
  3. [GB] Pokémon Gold/Silver - 7.30m
  4. [NES] Super Mario Bros. - 6.81m
  5. [NDS] New Super Mario Bros. - 6.49m
  6. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf - 5.85m
  7. [NDS] Pokémon Diamond/Pearl - 5.85m
  8. [NSW] Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - 5.74m
  9. [NSW] Pokémon Sword/Shield - 5.54m++
  10. [NDS] Pokémon Black/White - 5.54m
  11. [GBA] Pokémon Ruby/Saphire - 5.40m
  12. [NDS] Animal Crossing: Wild World - 5.35m
  13. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 5.16m
  14. [NDS] Brain Age 2 - 5.10m
  15. [NSW] Splatoon 2 - 4.69m
  16. [Wii] New Super Mario Bros. Wii - 4.67m
  17. [3DS] Pokémon X/Y - 4.56m
  18. [GB] Tetris - 4.24m
  19. [GB] Super Mario Land 3 - 4.19m
  20. [NDS] Mario Kart DS - 4.02m

I'm surprised there isn't a single SNES game in the top 20. Happy to see the first Wario game at 19 though. It's always been my favorite series from Nintendo(really bummed they stopped making them in favor of the Wario Ware series)

Seems unlikely it is Wario Land? Game sold 5.2 million copies WW and somehow it sold 4.2 million in Japan? Instead of SML or SML 2, which sold 18.1 and 11.2 million copies WW.

Seems unlikely it is Wario Land? Game sold 5.2 million copies WW and somehow it sold 4.2 million in Japan? Instead of SML or SML 2, which sold 18.1 and 11.2 million copies WW.
I don't know about this one but there have been Japanese games in the past with such disproportionate sales in Japan vs the world (with 1 million in rotw), e.g. DQ IX and I think at least one of the MH games.

Last edited:
I'm surprised there isn't a single SNES game in the top 20.
4 million units is an extremely high sales threashold in Japan.
Consider how only 3 games on PlayStation consoles have ever sold more than Mario Kart DS (4.02M).

The game at 4.19M is SML1.

I'm surprised there isn't a single SNES game in the top 20. Happy to see the first Wario game at 19 though. It's always been my favorite series from Nintendo(really bummed they stopped making them in favor of the Wario Ware series)
Mario Kart got close with 3.8 million.

Is there a thread like this from Nintendo but with worldwide sales?

Top 20 best-selling Nintendo games in Japan

1. [NSW] Animal Crossing: New Horizons - 10.07m
  6. [NSW] Super Smash Bros Ultimate - 6.18m
  7. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf - 5.85m
  8. [NDS] Pokémon Diamond/Pearl - 5.85m
  9. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 5.66m
  10. [NSW] Pokémon Sword/Shield - 5.56m (+200k untracked)
  11. [NDS] Pokémon Black/White - 5.54m
  12. [GBA] Pokémon Ruby/Saphire - 5.40m
  13. [NDS] Animal Crossing: Wild World - 5.35m
  14. [NDS] Brain Age 2 - 5.10m
  15. [NSW] Splatoon 2 - 4.69m (missing many quarters)
  16. [Wii] New Super Mario Bros. Wii - 4.67m
  17. [3DS] Pokémon X/Y - 4.56m
  18. [GB] Tetris - 4.24m
  19. [GB] Super Mario Land 3 - 4.19m
  20. [NDS] Mario Kart DS - 4.02m
So 4 NSW games in the top 10 now, insane. BDSP and legends can make it and Minecraft if we ever get numbers

Top 20 overall
Top 20 best-selling games in Japan

1. [NSW] Animal Crossing: New Horizons - 10.07m
  6. [NSW] Super Smash Bros Ultimate - 6.18m
  7. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf - 5.85m
  8. [NDS] Pokémon Diamond/Pearl - 5.85m
  9. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 5.66m
  10. [NSW] Pokémon Sword/Shield - 5.56m (+200k untracked)
  14. [PSP] Monster Hunter Freedom 3 - 5.30m
  15. [NDS] Brain Age 2 - 5.10m
  16. [NSW] Splatoon 2 - 4.69m (missing many quarters)
  17. [Wii] New Super Mario Bros. Wii - 4.67m
  18. [3DS] Pokémon X/Y - 4.56m
  19. [NDS] Dragon Quest IX - 4.40m
  20. [PSP] Monster Hunter Freedom Unite - 4.25m
  21. [GB] Tetris - 4.24m
  22. [GB] Super Mario Land - 4.19m
  23. [PS1] Dragon Quest VII - 4.14m
  24. [3DS] Monster Hunter 4 - 4.10m
  25. [PS1] Final Fantasy VII - 4.10m
  26. [NDS] Mario Kart DS - 4.02m
  27. [PS4] Monster Hunter World - 4.00m
  28. [NDS] Pokémon Heart Gold/Soul Silver -3.97m
  29. [NDS] Brain Age: Train Your Brain Minutes a Day - 3.96m
  30. [3DS] Pokémon Sun/Moon - 3.94m
  31. [FC] Super Mario Bros 3 - 3.84m
  32. [Wii] Mario Kart Wii - 3.83m
  33. [SFC] Super Mario Kart - 3.82m
  34. [PS2] Dragon Quest VIII - 3.80m
  35. [FC] Dragon Quest III - 3.80m
  36. [Wii] Wii Sports - 3.79m
  37. [NSW] Pokémon Brilliant Diamond/Shining Pearl - 3.79m
  38. [NDS] Tomodachi Collection - 3.76m
  39. [PS1] Final Fantasy VIII - 3.70m
  40. [NSW] Ring Fit Adventure - 3.60m
  41. [NSW] Momotaro - 3.60m
  42. [NSW] Monster Hunter Rise - 3.60m
  43. [Wii] Wii Fit - 3.60m
  44. [SFC] Super Mario World - 3.55m
  45. [3DS] Pokémon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire - 3.46m
  46. [Wii] Wii Sports Resort - 3.33m
  47. [3DS] Yokai Watch 2 - 3.30m
  48. [3DS] Monster Hunter Generations - 3.30m
  49. [PS2] Final Fantasy X - 3.20m
  50. [NSW] Minecraft - 3.20m

Last edited:
Mario Kart has a serious shot at reaching 7M copies.
By mid-2024, Switch could have 3 entries in top 5.

I've updated the total console sales by manufacturer chart in Japan as December 2021.
It will probably take around 1-1.5 years for Nintendo to break the 200 million threshold.

Total number of dedicated video game systems sold by manufacturer in Japan as December 2021 (only console makers which have sold at least 1 million units)

37TYhs6.jpg

A curiosity:
As March 1995 (PS1 was launched in December 1994 in Japan) NES + GB + SNES had sold in total 44.53 million units in Japan therefore since the introduction of the PlayStation brand of consoles Nintendo has sold around 62 million dedicated video game systems more than what Sony did in the same timeframe.

* Note:
I considered only standalone consoles with interchangeable software (devices like Color TV Game, Game & Watch, Nintendo plug & play retro consoles, PlayStation Classic, PocketStation and add-ons in general were excluded).

So will Switch beat DS for most million sellers with Kirby, Pokemon, Zelda, Switch Sports and Xenoblade 3 on the horizon? It will reach 20 bu the end of 2022 if I’m not mistaken.

Unfortunately, PlayStation hardware shipments in these graphs are again not reliable, they are the same with here where they take cumulative production shipments of Sony for Asia and substract 50-60k.

Software for Famicom is new and great addition since a big gap is filled.

Hardware for Master System too but this is also questionable, Famitsu never gave shipments for it, contrary to other Sega systems.

So will Switch beat DS for most million sellers with Kirby, Pokemon, Zelda, Switch Sports and Xenoblade 3 on the horizon? It will reach 20 bu the end of 2022 if I’m not mistaken.
Weird to mention big assumption Xeno 3 and not Splatoon. Also depends on how you count digital games. Like Human Fall Flat and Among Us are probably already there in Japan. Games Data Library currently lists 23 games as million sellers in Japan.

Weird to mention big assumption Xeno 3 and not Splatoon. Also depends on how you count digital games. Like Human Fall Flat and Among Us are probably already there in Japan. Games Data Library currently lists 23 games as million sellers in Japan.
Oops, forgot Splatoon. I'm not sure which digital games made it, but yeah if you would count digital games we'd get a different picture, but it would also be unfair to the DS.

Well does Human Fall Flat count when it’s physical edition is a quarter of the way there? DQ, LM, and several other games aren’t million sellers if you don’t count digital and digital is siphoning away some of those sales from physical copies.

I've updated the million sellers list for NSW, 3DS and WiiU with sell-in data as December 2020 for those titles that didn't resurface in the meantime.

Random facts:
- Kirby Star Allies is a million seller and has shipped 230K between April 2019 to December 2020.
- Aside from the exception that is ACNL, shipments from 3DS first-party million sellers has stopped [in Japan].

A big thank to @oracion

Top 25 best-selling games in Japan

1. [NSW] Animal Crossing: New Horizons - 10.19m
  6. [NSW] Super Smash Bros Ultimate - 6.37m
  7. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Dekuxe 5.96m
  8. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf - 5.95
  9. [NDS] Pokémon Diamond/Pearl - 5.85m
  10. [NSW] Pokémon Sword/Shield - 5.84m (+200k untracked)
  15. [NSW] Splatoon 2 - 5.11m
  16. [NDS] Brain Age 2 - 5.10m
  21. [GB] Tetris - 4.24m

Tidbits

MK8D jumps up and now enters at 7th while Splatoon 2 finally surpasses Brain age 2!

There are only 7 non Nintendo/Pokémon Co games in the top 25, 2 of which is on Sony systems

The third party games are from Capcom (MH) and SE (FF/DQ)

Top 13 are all Nintendo/Pokémon Co games!

23-25th highest are all in trouble as more first party games are coming to kick them off the best sellers! 😱

Last edited:
Top 25 best-selling games in Japan

1. [NSW] Animal Crossing: New Horizons - 10.19m
  6. [NSW] Super Smash Bros Ultimate - 6.37m
  7. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Dekuxe 5.96m
  8. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf - 5.95
  9. [NDS] Pokémon Diamond/Pearl - 5.85m
  10. [NSW] Pokémon Sword/Shield - 5.84m (+200k untracked)
  15. [NSW] Splatoon 2 - 5.11m
  16. [NDS] Brain Age 2 - 5.10m
  21. [GB] Tetris - 4.24m

Tidbits

MK8D jumps up and now enters at 7th while Splatoon 2 finally surpasses Brain age 2!

There are only 7 non Nintendo/Pokémon Co games in the top 25, 2 of which is on Sony systems

The third party games are from Capcom (MH) and SE (FF/DQ)

Top 13 are all Nintendo/Pokémon Co games!

23-25th highest are all in trouble as more first party games are coming to kick them off the best sellers! 😱
It's actually 4 Sony games in the Top 25, not 2 (MH Freedom 3, MH Freedom Unite, DQ VII & FFVII. To be fair, DQVII & FFVII are definitely in danger, as you mentioned. I'd imagine that just Splatoon 3, Pokemomn SV & BOTW 2 would be enough to knock those 2 off the list (as well as MH4 3DS).

I'd imagine that SSBU & MK8DX will both surpass Super Mario Bros. and that MK 8DX will surpass SSBU.

So is SWSH technically at 6.04m?

It's actually 4 Sony games in the Top 25, not 2 (MH Freedom 3, MH Freedom Unite, DQ VII & FFVII. To be fair, DQVII & FFVII are definitely in danger, as you mentioned. I'd imagine that just Splatoon 3, Pokemomn SV & BOTW 2 would be enough to knock those 2 off the list (as well as MH4 3DS).
Yeah, it won't be long before that list is entirely bereft of PlayStation home console games. Clearing NES Super Mario Bros. from the list will... take a bit longer.

I think all top 20-25 will drop by the end of the gen
Titles that will drop:
  1. [PSP] Monster Hunter Freedom Unite - 4.25m
  2. [GB] Tetris - 4.24m
  3. [GB] Super Mario Land - 4.19m
  4. [PS1] Dragon Quest VII - 4.14m
  5. [3DS] Monster Hunter 4 - 4.10m
  6. [PS1] Final Fantasy VII - 4.10m
Momotaro,Minecraft Switch,Pokemon Arceus,Pokemon S/V and Splatoon 3 should end up with more than 4.25m imo (and there is potential for even more 4.25m+ titles on the Switch)

Last edited:
I think all top 20-25 will drop by the end of the gen
Titles that will drop:
  1. [PSP] Monster Hunter Freedom Unite - 4.25m
  2. [GB] Tetris - 4.24m
  3. [GB] Super Mario Land - 4.19m
  4. [PS1] Dragon Quest VII - 4.14m
  5. [3DS] Monster Hunter 4 - 4.10m
  6. [PS1] Final Fantasy VII - 4.10m
Momotaro,Minecraft Switch,Pokemon Arceus,Pokemon S/V and Splatoon 3 should end up with more than 4.25m imo (and there is potential for even more 4.25m+ titles on the Switch)

BotW is not stopping, 3.5mil is safe for it but to be honest I’m not sure anyMore lol

BotW is not stopping, 3.5mil is safe for it but to be honest I’m not sure anyMore lol
I was on the fence about including it, I think it will do 4M+ (BOTW 2 will boost sales) when it's all said and done, but by that point the bar will be higher so it will not reach top 25. It still will outsell every single FF entry ever and almost all DQ ones, that's so impressive probably the most impressive result in Japan sales wise of this generation, last mainline 3D Zelda sold only 349k of course Wii vs. NSW Japan situation is really different but it's still a crazy jump between entries.

Ring Fit is already higher LTD than Momotaro and sells more weekly too + BotW will easily pass Arceus. Edit: I forgot about Monster Hunter Rise as well

Ring Fit is already higher LTD than Momotaro and sells more weekly too + BotW will easily pass Arceus. Edit: forgot about Monster Hunter Rise too
Taking into account digital we don't know if RFA sells more than Momotaro, Momotaro digital share is a lot higher than RFA so I think it should be pretty close. MH:Rise sadly we are probably never getting Switch JP only sales ever so it will not be included :(

Taking into account digital we don't know if RFA sells more than Momotaro, Momotaro digital share is a lot higher than RFA so I think it should be pretty close.
Well... it's actually lower lol, not the digital share obviously, but everything that Famitsu doesn't track or underestimates.

~31% of RFA sales were not tracked by Famitsu during the last FY (it always charts extremely high on Amazon), while it's only been around 20% for Momotaro which has failed to reach the eShop top 50 for 4 consecutive weeks now and is no longer in Amazon's top 100 (currently #132).
MH:Rise sadly we are probably never getting Switch JP only sales ever so it will not be included :(
I mean, you did list Minecraft! But thanks to the eShop annual rankings and MC White Papers we should be able to get pretty good estimates for Rise.

Luigi's Mansion 3's number is as of December 2021. Where was it at as of March 2022? We got a shipment update from Nintendo.
Edit: just noticed all of it is as of December.

Luigi's Mansion 3's number is as of December 2021. Where was it at as of March 2022? We got a shipment update from Nintendo.
Edit: just noticed all of it is as of December.
All the new updates for Switch titles LTD March 2022 (with quarterly increase):

Animal Crossing: New Horizons - 10.190.000 (+120.000)
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - 6.370.000 (+190.000)
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 5.960.000 (+300.000)
Pokémon Sword/Shield - 5.840.000 (+80.000) including the 200k sales from the Expansion Pass SKU as estimated by Famitsu
Splatoon 2 - 5.110.000 (unknown)
Pokémon Brilliant Diamond/Shining Pearl - 3.850.000 (+60.000)
Ring Fit Adventure - 3.710.000 (+100.000)
Pokémon Legends: Arceus - 3.460.000 (NEW)
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 3.060.000 (+150.000)
Super Mario Odyssey - 2.850.000 (+40.000)
Super Mario Party - 2.780.000 (+40.000)
Pokémon: Let's Go, Pikachu/Eevee! - 2.180.000 (+0)
Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics - 1.720.000 (unknown)
New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe - 1.490.000 (+40.000)
Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury - 1.440.000 (+40.000)
Mario Party Superstars - 1.330.000 (+200.000)
Luigi's Mansion 3 - 1.130.000 (+40.000)
Kirby and the Forgotten Land - 850.000 (NEW)
Big Brain Academy: Brain vs. Brain - 450.000 (+70.000)
Game Builder Garage - 450.000 (+10.000)
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD - 450.000 (+10.000)
Miitopia - 390.000 (+10.000)
Mario Golf: Super Rush - 310.000 (+10.000)
WarioWare: Get it Together! - 310.000 (+10.000)
Metroid Dread - 270.000 (+10.000)

Pokemon Red/Green had shipped 2.20M units as December 1996.

Celine - once again thank you for compiling and formatting all this data so that it is so easily accessible.

Yesterday I watched the following clip from the BBC's video archives, originally broadcast in 1990. The footage includes discussions of both the position as at 1990 including the Famicom, alongside expectations for the (then) near future - it is well worth a watch and even includes a segment with commentary from Miyamoto!

At 1:46 (timestamped version here) it is stated that "More than one in three Japanese families has one [the Famicom]". I appreciate that we don't know the methodology behind such a statement - i.e. sample size or what constitutes a family - but I was wondering if anyone knows whether such proportions were ever published for other systems.

It would be quite interesting to see how much of the subsequent growth in the Japanese hardware market was within the "families" sector, as opposed to expansion in respect of say single adults. Thanks in advance for any clarification on this.

Back
Top Bottom