• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

PlatinumGames // Strategic Bomba Command // non-stop climatic bloody minded self-publishing action. // P* Origins: Clover & the Lost Okami sequel.

"Whadya buyin!? Heard that in a game once."

• Bayonetta 3 (Switch)

Votes: 31 42.5%
  • NieR Automata The End of YorHA Edition (Switch)

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • "Flock off, feather-face!" I'm buying all of the above.

Votes: 32 43.8%
  • Bayonetta Origins: Cereza and the Lost Demon (Switch)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • "Put your foot down, Cheshire! I'll take care of our little pest problem." Buying all three.

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • NieR Miss, Pass the Bayo! - getting Bayonetta 3 & Bayonetta Origins.

Votes: 1 1.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Let's move on from that topic I say.

What's Platinum Games working on right now anyway, with Bayo 3 about out?

- recently read some very vague rumors about MS maybe reviving Scalebound
- shouldn't we hear about Astral Chain 2 sooner rather than later if Nintendo intends to continue the franchise?
- Nier 3?

Project GG will have a proper reveal in the next summer. Should be their next big game.

Taura has to be directing something. New IP or Astral Chain 2 would be my guess.

I assume Nier is being worked in-house at SE with a higher budget, since Yoko Taro isn't hanging around PG anymore (Kamiya said he missed him in a interview a while ago, since they often drank together when PG was working on Automata).

MadWorld 2 would such a great reveal, but that is probably never happening. Astral Chain 2 as the next project from Platinum for Nintendo sounds the most logical for me.

Considering their audience and what kind of games they make i can totally see PG doing a game with Drake focus, if not an exclusive for Nintendo next.

I hope platinum works on a mainstream genre next. They don't have to loose their touch but some thing like witcher/zelda with platinum combat and animation will be good. They can also build a much stronger base then their usual games. I am not dissing the genres but these don't sell. Even dmc the most popular of the genre has hardtime break 5 million at full price.

I hope platinum works on a mainstream genre next. They don't have to loose their touch but some thing like witcher/zelda with platinum combat and animation will be good. They can also build a much stronger base then their usual games. I am not dissing the genres but these don't sell. Even dmc the most popular of the genre has hardtime break 5 million at full price.
I think Astral Chain 2 has the most potential. it's not as much of a fast-paced, score attack brawler like Bayonetta and DMC. it would benefit from expanding character interaction and more exploration. essentially do what Nier Automata did, which is already in that vein given the director

New Bloomberg article about the VA controversy. Taylor was originally offered at minimum, $15k for the role but requested a 6 figure payment and residuals in response. Platinum refused but offered down the line $4k for a cameo role. Taylor refused this offer and I think that's how we end up here. Taylor responded to Bloomberg saying that the account is false.

New Bloomberg article about the VA controversy. Taylor was originally offered at minimum, $15k for the role but requested a 6 figure payment and residuals in response. Platinum refused but offered down the line $4k for a cameo role. Taylor refused this offer and I think that's how we end up here. Taylor responded to Bloomberg saying that the account is false.

If it's true that means they wanted to pay her way more than standard.
Considering the number she gave that the franchise supposedly made being obviously untrue I can imagine this Bloomberg article being correct. They can't just make stuff up.

Last edited:

This is why people need to wait for the full story before jumping to conclusions. This paints a very different picture

This does add to the theory that Taylor might be difficult to work with. This would explain the long gaps in her voice-acting resume, Taylor is often asking for things like residues and 6 figure payments for just 20 hours of work and why Platinum still brought back the rest of the cast and a more famous VA as her replacement.

Last edited:

By that wording, it sounds like Jennifer Hale took on the role after the first negotiation failed. And I wonder if she took it for around the same offering rates or she would have gotten much more based on her prolific experience and resume.

I didn't expect to get any enjoyment out of Bayonetta 3 at all, but here we are. Honestly, I've learned a lot from rates to how much time actually goes into voicing a game.

Not commenting on Hellena Taylor since I don't know how true these details are. People thinking a six figure payment and residuals should be the norm for VAs are insane though. I'm only going to focus on criticizing the people who genuinely advocates for this because celebrity worship is going out of hand. VAs deserve better payment, but being paid so much more per hour and being given residuals while the poor programmer on the team who works way more hours gets way less? All because VAs have a face and a following while the other staff are faceless workers behind the scenes? So the latter deserve less? It's absurd how out of touch some people on Twitter are.

Edit: Also read a post on Era saying that $15k is earning less than a grocery worker's yearly salary. What??? Do people not understand the difference between contract work for a few days and a full-time worker getting paid a salary?

Last edited:

This explains why Hale liked those tweets. $4000 wasnā€™t for three sessionsā€¦it was for 1

Taylor wanted enough money from one VA job to cover months/years of works - thats just not realistic.
The internet fame must have gotten to hear head thinking she is an actual A list celbrity like Morgan Freeman or whoever can charge six figures and more for a voice over.

She thought she was irreplacable and Bayonetta was a MUCH bigger IP than it actually is.

Last edited:

Ok this is wild, I didnā€™t expect this at all. 4k per sessions is a whole lot more than for the full game.

I'm sure ALL the people shitting on Platinum Games (and weirly Nintendo) will publically apologize now. /s

(Six figures? Holy ...!)

The reactions following Taylor's initial comments make more sense if this is true. Schreier states that Bloomberg saw evidence of Platinum's claims, which is intriguing.

6 figures + residuals is an insane asking.

I doubt even the most popular Japanese seiyuu for the most popular anime gets this money.
Its also not like she has been getting bigger in the industry like Troy Baker or something, demanding so much as someone who has not much else going on in the VA space is quite...optimistic.

Seems like her goal was to weaponize the fanbase against Nintendo/PG to maybe get her 6figures, but she already had signed the NDA.

Man this just keep going

Anyone who was a fan and would boycott will probably get this news. This was an ugly situation, but PG probably got a lot more eyes on Bayo 3 thanks to it. So thats a silver lining I guess.

The frustrating part is that all the people siding with her will NOT learn a single lesson from this. See ya all next time, ladida ... :/

6 figures + residuals is an insane asking.

I doubt even the most popular Japanese seiyuu for the most popular anime gets this money.
Not sure how accurate this pic is but i recommend the Shirobaka anime for how the anime industry slightly works obviously some parts are romantized and exaggerated.
TiZhPO1PN4sNjrEI-G-P4FK_h2a18mOkkjpTwNY43pM.png

Not sure how accurate this pic is but i recommend the Shirobaka anime for how the anime industry slightly works obviously some parts are romantized and exaggerated.
... why does a university student receive salary? lol

People doubling down on their stance is just sad to see. Especially those who accuse others of being "corporate supporters" just so they don't have to admit they might have been wrong. Wanting to know the truth, even if the truth might be in favor of corporations, is just wanting fairness and justice in judgment. It doesn't mean that people are desperate to look for any reason to support corporations. I hate capitalism too, but just because you hate it doesn't mean you can distort the truth however way you want. Just like how you can't accuse criminals of committing a crime they haven't commit just because they're bad people. When you're wrong, you still have to admit you're wrong. Not saying that Jason's report could be easily confirmed by outsiders like us since we'll never see the documents ourselves, but the possibility that the initial drama was misrepresented exists. It is expected that people that would double down in their tribalism, but it's still disappointing to see. At the end of the day, the whole drama was just used by people as an excuse to lash out and harass people. People who refuse to admit they could be wrong just because they're dead set on hating their target (be it Hellena/Hale/Kamiya/Nintendo/Platinum or whomever) are just plain terrible.

The frustrating part is that all the people siding with her will NOT learn a single lesson from this. See ya all next time, ladida ... :/
And of course of those millions who saw the accusations how many will see the follow up?

"I dunno man getting paid $1000 for each hour of recording still seems kinda low to me..."
Seen people unironically say something like that. They think games are like movies and the VAs the most important part of the whole thing.

Seen people unironically say something like that. They think games are like movies and the VAs the most important part of the whole thing.
And that kind of entitlement in the context of a Nintendo-game, lol.

(Not that I don't think voice-acting is important for modern games, and I'd hope Nintendo-games especially had more of it, both because voice-acting makes any game more immersive, more enjoyable, as well as all the Mario-spinoffs being gated from pre-school kids by being text-only. Imagine a fully-voice Mario Golf or Mario Tennis, even 5 year olds would be able to play.

But payment is already mighty fine, much above most jobs in the Western world. Let's not demand crazy Hollywood actor-payment for voice-actors, instead let's bring down those "30 million for one movie" payments" to a normal level to further just distribution of wealth. #fckcapitalism)

Thanks for posting this, I was wondering if it was relevant enough to bring up in this situation. Here's another translated version with dollar amounts converted at the time of creation as well (Which definitely isn't accurate these days)

ORAFhaN.png

The "A-List Voice Actor" portrayed here is probably meant to be a representation of the likes of Kana Hanazawa. Who is a known name and does a lot of roles every year in both video games and anime.

wonder where she got that 450 million dollar figure for bayonettas worth from. people here correctly called it bullshit while twitter and the purple site glossed over it.

Thanks for posting this, I was wondering if it was relevant enough to bring up in this situation. Here's another translated version with dollar amounts converted at the time of creation as well (Which definitely isn't accurate these days)

ORAFhaN.png

The "A-List Voice Actor" portrayed here is probably meant to be a representation of the likes of Kana Hanazawa. Who is a known name and does a lot of roles every year in both video games and anime.
Can someone shine some light on this, because animators (the ones actually drawing the anime, right?) making (significantly) less than even college students and part-timers makes no sense to me.

Can someone shine some light on this, because animators (the ones actually drawing the anime, right?) making (significantly) less than even college students and part-timers makes no sense to me.

A tangent from this thread's main discussion, but like any passion driven industry with a huge pool of newcomers, entry-level animators literally just don't get paid well, more discussion on the article here. Similar to your point on how Crunchyroll only pays their translators 50-80 dollars per episode, animators get paid per each frame they draw at around 135 to 150 yen each, with movies bumping that up to only 200 to 300 yen quoted from here.

A tangent from this thread's main discussion, but like any passion driven industry with a huge pool of newcomers, entry-level animators literally just don't get paid well, more discussion on the article here. Similar to your point on how Crunchyroll only pays their translators 50-80 dollars per episode, animators get paid per each frame they draw at around 135 to 150 yen each, with movies bumping that up to only 200 to 300 yen quoted from here.

Thx, but I still don't get it. What is it that "college University students" are doing that makes them earn more money than animators receive? Animators make little because so many people want to be animators, but wouldn't there also be a lot of students desiring to do these student jobs?

Thx, but I still don't get it. What is it that "college University students" are doing that makes them earn more money than animators receive? Animators make little because so many people want to be animators, but wouldn't there also be a lot of students desiring to do these student jobs?
From the second link I had, those jobs would be typical part-time jobs like working in retail, waiting at restaurants, etc. Entry level Anime really just does pay peanuts unfortunately.

wonder where she got that 450 million dollar figure for bayonettas worth from. people here correctly called it bullshit while twitter and the purple site glossed over it.

There's a theory that she (or her assistant/agent) visited VGChartz, collected fake sales info, and then multiplied that number by $60šŸ¤

Well... thats one hell of a turn i guess.

Not going to stop the twitter warrior harrasser though.

You cant piece together much, since its not in the charts in October 14th (the latest capture). Though I guess going from not in the charts to number 25 does say something.
For what its worth, its number 20 now despite physical copies being sold out.

So yeah, that article is something isn't it?

So many people were being shat on for wanting to wait for more info. I get wanting to believe the underdog here, but from things not adding up, to her shitting on Jennifer Hale, I never blamed anyone for being skeptical, and those that were skeptical were right in the end.

In the end, not only did she destroy her career, she also destroyed her reputation in both her honesty, AND other *ahem* means, but also she may have given the game a MASSIVE amount of free publicity that with this now out, has helped to reverse (not completely, but well on its way) the bad press towards the game.

I don't think this could have gone any worse for her. Literally she was eons better off just not saying anything at all.

I think Kana Hanazawa not A-list because she Charasong NG (no good)

Ref. Shirobako again

ekgzMFk.jpg

And i never trust english VA Bayonetta 1&2 colud had more talent and professional like her

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom