• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth - Which Potential ?

How much do you think Rebirth will sell at launch?

• <2.5m

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • 2.5m - 3m (less than XVI)

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • 3m - 3.5m (same as XVI, less than 7R)

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • 3.5m - 4m (Same as 7R)

Votes: 51 35.4%
  • 4m+ (more than 7R)

Votes: 24 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
From the moment a 3M shipped milestone wasn't shared and DD2 sold more than Rebirth in the US up to end of March with Rebirth having 3 extra weeks of sales, it sort of gave a ceiling of what to expect (~2.5M shipment and could be (probably is) lower than that) and with sellthrough trailing shipment a bit the ceiling was bound to be even lower.

@awng782
View hidden content is available for registered users!

If thats true, thats really bad.

Really sad too because its an amazing game in every sense

In light of the latest Circana report that makes sense. Very poor performance, really makes you wonder how much the final part can pull at this point.

Discussion is fine but this whole page has been largely getting off topic, for FFXIV woes the Square-Enix output topic might be a better place.

For FFVII Rebirth from what I've heard
*** Hidden text: cannot be quoted. ***

From the moment a 3M shipped milestone wasn't shared and DD2 sold more than Rebirth in the US up to end of March with Rebirth having 3 extra weeks of sales, it sort of gave a ceiling of what to expect (~2.5M shipment and could be (probably is) lower than that) and with sellthrough trailing shipment a bit the ceiling was bound to be even lower.

@awng782 *** Hidden text: cannot be quoted. ***
If this is true then this is an absolute disaster. I know there's defintiely a few things they can do, but like... what do you even do and where do you even go?

I personally expected a result between 3.5m and 4m, thanks to glowing reviews and reception and thinking that a good share of those 7m Remake buyers would show up at launch to buy the sequel.

The actual result is worrisome because it shows a harsh drop in the US which, coupled with Japan, should be the major territory for the franchise. Also, it doesn't bode well for the sequel and for the franchise in general.

Remake is just over 7mil, this game could possibly have a 50% decline, SE needs to put Part 3 on PC day 1 as well as other platforms at this rate.

I wonder how much rebirth cost to make
Post automatically merged:

I think it CAN be true, speaking of sell-through

Like was mentioned before, NA must of had the huge drop cuz UK seems just to be under XVI and Japan decline is maybe 20-25% of XVI.

It’s crazy but yeah.

Remake is just over 7mil, this game could possibly have a 50% decline, SE needs to put Part 3 on PC day 1 as well as other platforms at this rate.
if SE already copped a deal from Sony, I wonder if they're weighing the option to go back on it. it seems like the exclusivity period is getting shorter, so they might not have to. but unlike 7R1 and 7R2, they better have ports ready the day the exclusivity ends.

I'm personally happy to see 16 doing better as I prefer it but both games are excellent and Rebirth deserves to be doing better than it is.

The decline is pretty sharp, this is quite a shocking performance.

Was it though? Its first week was slightly higher yes but it appeared to have worse legs in the places we saw beyond week 1.

What was FW sales in Uk with digital?

In Japan retail sellthru qe have (5 weeks)
XVI 401k
VII2: 311k

23% down. UK flat? Europe slightly up. NA sell thru could be well above 30% drop? We have any idea how much sell thru could be in the US in Feb/Mar?

I do think Helldivers 2 hurt Rebirth.

Too many people playing Helldivers 2 and not playing Rebirth? Think so?

Rebirth having just 3 months of exclusivity but they still talking a year to port the game its so laughable.

Just like FFXVI that it will probably release on PC in June, a year after the release despite having six months of exclusivity

What was FW sales in Uk with digital?

In Japan retail sellthru qe have (5 weeks)
XVI 401k
VII2: 311k

23% down. UK flat? Europe slightly up. NA sell thru could be well above 30% drop? We have any idea how much sell thru could be in the US in Feb/Mar?

Too many people playing Helldivers 2 and not playing Rebirth? Think so?
While they are different genres, I do believe the "this game can't hurt this one cause different genre" thing has to be revisited. We live in a social media era where people flock to the viral thing. HD2 was that viral thing. Combine that with the $40 price tag, the viral sensation and the macro economic situation and we have a recipe that can hurt other games.
Additionally, Rebirth also aims to the SIE stans and it seems like HD2 got their attention.

I was thinking of creating a thread to debate if the "this game cannot hurt this one cause different genres" should be revisited, but I know how it will turn out.

What do you think? Could it lead to a positive conversation?

Discussion is fine but this whole page has been largely getting off topic, for FFXIV woes the Square-Enix output topic might be a better place.

For FFVII Rebirth from what I've heard
*** Hidden text: cannot be quoted. ***

This is a worse result than even the most pessimistic of predictions. I don't know what to say other than this is a disaster with the only silver linings being a 3 year development time and money from Sony possibly being what keeps them from losing too much on this game.

Part 3 has to happen to save face for this brand, but long term I think this remake trilogy is going to be looked back upon as a financial mistake.

This could show that there is a big change in the Playstation ecosystem when it comes to JRPGs, it used to be that those kinds of games were big on PS, but it could be that the PS ecosystem is moving more towards an Xbox ecosystem with total western game dominance.

It could show that Nintendo is more and more becoming the haven for JRPG games, with PS ecosystem joining Xbox ecosystem when it comes to taste in games.

Helldivers will be the stuff to dominate the PS market today, not old school Japanese style Final Fantasy, that era is gone.

Its of course sad for us born in the 90s that remember how big Final Fantasy was during the PS1 and PS2 era, Final Fantasy games were a large part of the PS experience back then. Now the taste is different, and Final Fantasy has gone out of fashion.

Last edited:
If it’s sub 2 million I don’t think the PS5 exclusivity fully explains that type of drop, I think SE has some very uncomfortable discussions about whether sequels are a viable business model for FF. X-2,XIII-2, and now rebirth are massive 50% declines from the original games.

This is a horrible outcome, the quality of Rebirth and the relatively painless development is a direct result of them being able to build upon a foundation.

A mainline Dragon Quest game released only in Japan would've posted higher sales than this.

Like I really don't know how it got this bad for this series. Other than fulfilling their public responsibility to deliver Part 3, I think they need an immediate pause on any future FF projects.

A mainline Dragon Quest game released only in Japan would've posted higher sales than this.

Like I really don't know how it got this bad for this series. Other than fulfilling their public responsibility to deliver Part 3, I think they need an immediate pause on any future FF projects.
They need to add a PC day 1 for Part 3.

Square Enix has no guarantee that the game will be a success on PC, especially for a historic PlayStation license.

His fanbase is mostly on PlayStation and Sony is only willing to finance games if you follow their wishes.

Square Enix has no guarantee that the game will be a success on PC, especially for a historic PlayStation license.

His fanbase is mostly on PlayStation and Sony is only willing to finance games if you follow their wishes.
That type of mentality is probably part of what has led the series to be in the situation it is currently in.

At some point they have to start trying to build a proper playerbase on other platforms, right? Sega is doing it. Capcom did it to spectacular results. Better to start now than just keep kicking the can down the road.

While they are different genres, I do believe the "this game can't hurt this one cause different genre" thing has to be revisited. We live in a social media era where people flock to the viral thing. HD2 was that viral thing. Combine that with the $40 price tag, the viral sensation and the macro economic situation and we have a recipe that can hurt other games.
Additionally, Rebirth also aims to the SIE stans and it seems like HD2 got their attention.

I was thinking of creating a thread to debate if the "this game cannot hurt this one cause different genres" should be revisited, but I know how it will turn out.

What do you think? Could it lead to a positive conversation?

Go for it, it's an interesting topic. Games close to each other. I dont think the 2 close to each other hurts one or the other imo. But others here could have a different opinion

damn. Lower then my pessimistic prediction.

And I was a double dipper. Well 3 copies I bought but 2 were gifts to friends

Sony let them make a Forspoken PC port day 1 and its exclusive for two years on PS5

This could show that there is a big change in the Playstation ecosystem when it comes to JRPGs, it used to be that those kinds of games were big on PS, but it could be that the PS ecosystem is moving more towards an Xbox ecosystem with total western game dominance.

It could show that Nintendo is more and more becoming the haven for JRPG games, with PS ecosystem joining Xbox ecosystem when it comes to taste in games.

Helldivers will be the stuff to dominate the PS market today, not old school Japanese style Final Fantasy, that era is gone.

Its of course sad for us born in the 90s that remember how big Final Fantasy was during the PS1 and PS2 era, Final Fantasy games were a large part of the PS experience back then. Now the taste is different, and Final Fantasy has gone out of fashion.
If that was true, you would be seeing series like Xenoblade or Fire Emblem having much bigger boost on sales, even Persona 5 Royal ended selling better on PC that Switch, by the looks of it

Sony let them make a Forspoken PC port day 1 and its exclusive for two years on PS5

If that was true, you would be seeing series like Xenoblade or Fire Emblem having much bigger boost on sales, even Persona 5 Royal ended selling better on PC that Switch, by the looks of it
You are comparing AAA games with AA games. Also, even making the comparison shows the decline of FF.

Second, do you have any sources for the PS5 Royal sales?

You are comparing AAA games with AA games. Also, even making the comparison shows the decline of FF.

Second, do you have any sources for the PS5 Royal sales?
Persona 5 Royal sold an aditional 1.8 million after the ports recently, data coming from Steam makes it clear that it sold at least 1 Million there, not hard to presume this

Xenoblade franchise all became 2mil sellers (2 new games and a remaster) coming from a sub million seller and as others pointed out. AA vs AAA.

Also yes I understand FEE sold much less but Still FE3H will sell close to 4.5mil or higher lifetime

Also need proof of PC > NSW sales for PS5R

Edit: And 1 example isnt always the example of all. Games having a sku helps out with much bigger sales (how much more/less depending on genre/franchise).

We have alot of examples of this already including Hogwarts from last year

Nintendo makes AA JRPGs that earn profits usually from just selling 1-2 million copies. Could be that FF needs to go in that direction. Evidently the era where FF could motivate having AAA game budgets is drawing to a close, regrettably.

They have now tried 2 different strategies on modern FF, XVI and VII remake, neither producing desired results. Difficult to see a way to salvage the decline.

As it stands now, its possible FF will have Xenoblade style sales soon if nothing changes. It's crazy that Fire Emblem Three houses reached sales figures Final Fantasy games right now will struggle to reach, and Fire Emblem was fairly recently a dying franchise.

That type of mentality is probably part of what has led the series to be in the situation it is currently in.
Square Enix doesn't have enough money to finance such expensive games.

For Square Enix, Sony is a sure way to get a big check quickly and go directly to fans.

For Sony, it is a way to have a solid seller system for the Asian market.

If this is true then this is an absolute disaster. I know there's defintiely a few things they can do, but like... what do you even do and where do you even go?
Really makes one think about how part 3 even could sell more again. SE cannot put too much 'this happened in part 1 and 2' at the beginning of part 3 without making those first two parts obsolete. Like, they can't really market part 3 with 'oh, don't worry, you can play part 3 just fine without having played the first two'. But that obviously would limit the number of consumers for part 3 even more.

Rebirth being sub-3 mio at this point is a big disaster hardly anyone could have predicted.

Square Enix doesn't have enough money to finance such expensive games.

For Square Enix, Sony is a sure way to get a big check quickly and go directly to fans.

For Sony, it is a way to have a solid seller system for the Asian market.
It made sense when the series was big, now with this sub 2 million sales figures evidently the series is just a bit less niche than Tales of games today. So it doesn't serve that purpose anymore.

Seems catastrophic for the IP, don’t really know how they recover from this.
All hope is not lost. Look at the Zelda series. Skyward Sword sold a paltry 3.67 million copies on the Wii in 2011. No one then could have ever predicted that the next entry in the Zelda franchise would sell 10 times that amount with Breath of the wild.

Not saying FF could show such increase in sales. But it could see a decent increase in sales if they play their cards right.

Just base in the number of reviews then, i find hard to believe a game with 65k reviews its not a Million seller on Steam when games like Nier Automata that sold 2.5M on PC have 120k reviews
PC is not the solution to JRPG problems. PC is where titles like Helldivers dominate the most, where GAAS is fully dominant. The only platforms that offer hope is non GAAS dominating platforms like what Switch 2 will be. Nintendo has the more nostalgia based user base when it comes to gaming.

Last edited:
That’s not proof. Those trackers have been incredibly wrong before.

Going back on the original post, I dont even get why the PC vs NSW comparison. The game got alot more additional sales from these ports. All @Danny said was JRPG support on Nintendo was getting stronger (compared to PS) which is true.

Dont think some people get by having not only a PC sku but also a Nintendo one would greatly benefit a game. Regardless on which sales come from the most. Hell Fifa (new franchise I forgot name) has nsw selling the least of all sku but it adds up to the grand total and makes more sales then it would without a nsw sku

Back
Top Bottom