Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth - Which Potential ?

How much do you think Rebirth will sell at launch?

• <2.5m

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • 2.5m - 3m (less than XVI)

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • 3m - 3.5m (same as XVI, less than 7R)

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • 3.5m - 4m (Same as 7R)

Votes: 51 35.4%
  • 4m+ (more than 7R)

Votes: 24 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Just saw Current (May 15, 2024) Amazon US best Selling Video Games in 2024 List. If you remove the hardware and gaming card items and focus on just the game software items, Rebirth is currently at no 3. :

Anr991l5_o.jpg

Last edited:
The idea that somehow FF will double the sales on other platforms doesnt make sense. Anyone expecting more then 10-20% extra sales on XB/Switch combined is going to be disappointing. They already release on PC which take care good chunk of FF customer base.

SE knew what FF sold as multiplatform since FF13 and still decided to take Sony money. They are always waiting for someone to moneyhat their games. But after duds like Forspoken and Foamstars, Sony probably have decided its not worth it anymore.

Last edited:
We're staring down the barrel of Super Mario RPG potentially outselling Rebirth

If we took Rebirth as a mainline title these results—or estimates, I guess—would place the game somewhere south of Nier, Persona, Dragon Quest, Hell, potentially even Three Houses!

You're right that there's no need for pessimism, but that's especially true because there's no need to try to put a negative spin on what's happening here. It is a precipitous fall from grace, and means that the FF7 Remake project is a spectacular failure if its aim was to grow the appeal of the franchise
Nailed it. I hate to admit it, but FF is just not grabbing a wider audience currently. I think they can do it, but it’s going to take some major brainstorming at Square on how to expand the audience for FFXVII outside of just multiplatform.

If Nintendo could catapult the Zelda franchise from where it was at with Skyward Sword, then Square can definitely do the same with FF.

The idea that somehow FF will double the sales on other platforms doesnt make sense. Anyone expecting more then 10-20% extra sales on XB/Switch combined is going to be disappointing. They already release on PC which take care good chunk of FF customer base.

SE knew what FF sold as multiplatform since FF13 and still decided to take Sony money. They are always waiting for someone to moneyhat their games. But after duds like Forspoken and Foamstars, Sony probably have decided its not worth it anymore.

Japan alone would have the total a bit higher with Nsw only. Let alone XS/nsw WW.

We have plenty of examples of how adding other platforms can inscreas the sales of a game. It’s not 100% which would do more between a NSW sku release or a PC released for a FF game (this is assuming of course it would run on nsw)

You might be underestimating how much “added” sales there would be if they had gone full multiplatform like they want to do now

Late ports are diminishing potential sales, unless you think it is expected market behaviour for e.g. FF7Remake to have lower concurrent peaks on Steam than Tales/Granblue/Monster Hunter Stories etc. They would absolutely double their sales or higher if they went from a PS5-only launch to PS5/Steam/Xbox/Switch2 on the same day. Their revenue and profit margin would be massively higher too, because those would be full price sales converted from the biggest piece of marketing spend.

And Sony haven't been the ones losing out on this to any serious degree, S-E have. Sony must be laughing, they're paying a company to devalue themselves in real time while Sony can pretend to their older audience that they still care about the Japanese market, against all evidence.

Fortunately, Capcom, Fromsoft, and other devs didn't think this way and had been rewarded handsomely because of multiplatform strategy.

I am a big fan of FF7 and FF7 remake and FF7 Rebirth, but i haven't bought FF7 rebirth for ps5 because i am waiting for the superior pc version. With the first remake game i preordered the ps4 version and bought ps4 mainly for it because they never said anything on making a pc version of the game during that time. Then they announced the pc version and i bought the remake intergrade pc version too but skipped the ps5 version. Rebirth on Amazon US is still in the top 10 ps5 games best sellers and in the top 10 most wished ps5 games list for around 4 months so far. Legs are not bad on amazon US imo and it's still at full price. And with the game still in the top 10 most wished ps5 games on amazon us means it has a good chance on a high amount of those whishes to get converted into sales later down the road imo.

Last edited:
Remake Intergrade PC version on steam is currently around 1 Million sold according to Video Game insights. Rebirth PC version maybe 200K to 300k on steam launch.

FFXVI would have to be really overshipped to not be at least 3.5M by now

On Amazon Us FF 16 dropped out of the top 10 and got discounted faster than Rebirth I believe. Rebirth is still at full price and still in the top 10 +/- 4 months in And Rebirth's special edition version also got sold out on Amazon Us quickly enough. Rebirth is doing much better than ff 16 on Amazon Us I think.

Last edited:
Remake Intergrade PC version on steam is currently around 1 Million sold according to Video Game insights. Rebirth PC version maybe 200K to 300k on steam launch.

On Amazon Us FF 16 dropped out of the top 10 and got discounted faster than Rebirth I believe. Rebirth is still at full price and still in the top 10 +/- 4 months in And Rebirth's special edition version also got sold out on Amazon Us quickly enough. Rebirth is doing much better than ff 16 on Amazon Us I think.
These pc sales estimations have not been accurate ever since steam changed how games are reported on thr backend

Quoted by: cm2
These pc sales estimations have not been accurate ever since steam changed how games are reported on thr backend
It's still good enough for fast estimations imo, like with cyberpunk 2077 Videogame Insights reported currently (May 2024) 19.4 Million copies sold and CD Projekt said they sold 25 million copies of Cyberpunk with 68% of sales occurred on PC, with 20% on PlayStation 5 and 13% on Xbox Series X/S back in 2023.

Anyway just saw from gamalytic on Steam FF7 Remake Intergrade Sales estimation chart and it's currently saying around 1,018,207 copies sold.

https://gamalytic.com/game/1462040
5YKMolW2_o.jpg

Last edited:
99% it has/will

its at 3.33 mill and will defintly hit 4mil and amybe beyond.

rebirth might limp to 3.3mil at bargain bin prices. but4mil seems like an inredible stretch currently
It's at 3.48M as of March.

lol Tifa and the rest of FF7 gang should guesstar in Pikmin's world, part of SE's new "aggressive Multiplatform strategy"

Late ports are diminishing potential sales, unless you think it is expected market behaviour for e.g. FF7Remake to have lower concurrent peaks on Steam than Tales/Granblue/Monster Hunter Stories etc. They would absolutely double their sales or higher if they went from a PS5-only launch to PS5/Steam/Xbox/Switch2 on the same day. Their revenue and profit margin would be massively higher too, because those would be full price sales converted from the biggest piece of marketing spend.

And Sony haven't been the ones losing out on this to any serious degree, S-E have. Sony must be laughing, they're paying a company to devalue themselves in real time while Sony can pretend to their older audience that they still care about the Japanese market, against all evidence.

GoT released on PC after 4 years and its going to outsell every FF.

Multiplatform with better reach KH3 sold 6.7m as of last update. These games dont have mass market appeal to sell numbers people throw around here.

KH3 number its 6.7M PS4/Xbox by September 2021, less that 3 years after the release and before the Epic Store release

GoT released on PC after 4 years and its going to outsell every FF.
It's still not going to reach it's actual sales potential on PC if it had been a day and date multiplatform release. Now whether I agree with that or not, that's a conscious decision Sony makes because they are scared of diminishing the value proposition of a hardware platform where they take a 30% cut of all 3rd party sales. Square-Enix don't have that excuse, so they're sabotaging the sales potential of their own releases in exchange for payoffs that we can now plainly see are both failing to counteract the loss in sales, and damaging their brands.

Multiplatform with better reach KH3 sold 6.7m as of last update.
KH3 sitting on EGS, where games go to die, does not constitute "better reach".

These games dont have mass market appeal to sell numbers people throw around here.
This is just an excuse for very obvious problems in Square-Enix' strategy everyone has been articulating for years at this point. FromSoft's output and Monster Hunter have had far higher hurdles to reach the mass market. Sega certainly don't see JRPGs as some kind of special case dead-end genre lacking mass appeal either.

Back
Top Bottom