• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

Will PC gaming overtake console gaming in Japan?

Will PC gaming overtake console gaming in Japan?

• Yes, it is inevitable.

Votes: 10 6.6%
  • No, consoles will keep a bigger share.

Votes: 34 22.5%
  • It will overtake PlayStation/Xbox but not Nintendo.

Votes: 107 70.9%

• Total voters

MysticGon

Enthusiast
From Serkan Toto.

The size of Japan's PC gaming market:

• Japanese think tank KADOKAWA ASCII says there were 16 million PC game users in Japan in 2021.
  • 4.5 million of these users play exclusively on PC, whilst the rest play on consoles or smartphones as well.
  • This is out of a total gamer base of 55.4 million people. (Japan's total population in 2021 was 126 million)
  • For context, back in 2015, there were only 11 million PC gamers in Japan, and only 2 million played exclusively on PC.

• According to KADOKAWA ASCII, Japan’s PC gaming market was worth 131.3 billion yen (US$896 million) in 2021.
  • For context, the entire Japanese games market (hardware + software) was worth "around 2 trillion yen".
  • The size of Japan's PC gaming market in 2021 roughly doubled versus 2018.

What led to the growth of PC gaming in Japan? (According to Serkan Toto)
  • Corona effects (enlarging the user base of gamers in Japan overall, with the tide also spilling over to the PC).
  • The continued lack of availability of the PS5 in Japan, leading some hardcore users to turn to PCs to play high-fidelity games.
  • A growing acceptance of foreign and indie games, which are cheaper on PC.
  • The PUBG explosion in 2017/2018, driven by local PC platform DMM. (As of 2021, PUBG is on Steam)
  • Availability of more Japanese-made PC games, such as those from Capcom.
  • This also includes rare, home-grown PC hits such as Final Fantasy XIV and Kantai Collection.
  • Availability of popular smartphone games on PC, such as Uma Musume and Memento Mori.
  • Improvements made to Steam for the Japanese userbase.

pj0j5VR_d.webp

25593.jpeg

Some data. Based on the rapid growth we are seeing in the PC space in Japan do you think it will surpass consoles in the future?

Of the projected growth of the Japanese gaming market what share do think PC will have by 2025?

I think more concrete data is needed before any conclusion can be made. Estimating PC users, players and transactions is incredibly dubious. Epic vs Apple showed the huge difference between "active users", "players" and "transacting players". Partly this is due to how clients work on PC, Steam for instance auto boots up and the easier deployment of bots.

I need to see software numbers for games on PC or percentage of players for the big GaaS games to know the size of the audience relative to consoles. The only real data we've had afaik is from the Capcom leak with numbers as of Oct 2020:
  • MHW split: 93% PS, 7% PC
  • Iceborne split: 95% PS, 5% PC

I think more concrete data is needed before any conclusion can be made. Estimating PC users, players and transactions is incredibly dubious. Epic vs Apple showed the huge difference between "active users", "players" and "transacting players". Partly this is due to how clients work on PC, Steam for instance auto boots up and the easier deployment of bots.

I need to see software numbers for games on PC or percentage of players for the big GaaS games to know the size of the audience relative to consoles. The only real data we've had afaik is from the Capcom leak with numbers as of Oct 2020:
  • MHW split: 93% PS, 7% PC
  • Iceborne split: 95% PS, 5% PC

To piggy back, I'd also add simple unit sales are misleading, because we have this.

MHW comparisons in general will be misleading and not meaningful due to the release gap and mods.

Are we using CMA arguments to not include Nintendo as a console on the pool? :) And no, I don't think PC will overtake console in Japan in the next 4 or 5 years.

I agree with fiendcode that MHW isn't a great comparison as it had a lot of factors working against its PC release. But even if it was a fair comparison I think the market has changed so much that it doesn't really hold much value. Even in the OP it says the PC game market has doubled since 2018 and as we know the market for PlayStation has declined heavily since then as well so I don't see those numbers being as relevant to the modern market. Still, I get why it's used since it's the only real example of data directly comparing PC and PlayStation sales in Japan for a major release. The only other example I could think of is Elden Ring since we got confirmation of 1 million in Japan and we know physical PlayStation sales so even assuming a pretty generous digital ratio there are still a lot of sales leftover which are presumably coming mainly from PC and I think shows a much closer ratio of software sales than MHW would indicate. As for the main question, it will depend on what trajectory we see from PlayStation and PC in the next couple of years. PC is growing and PlayStation is declining so we will have to see how they intersect. I do think it's possible that PC could eventually surpass it, but it will be hard to tell for sure without the proper data to demonstrate that. So while I think the platforms are getting closer, it will be very difficult to know for sure which will be larger in the next few years.

The big overarching thing preventing PC growth in JP-in so much as growing to eclipse consoles in a timely fashion-are the games. For as much as PS has heavily declined in the region those games still are not showing up on PC.
https://www.pushsquare.com/news/202...ayers-praying-for-pc-port-of-final-fantasy-16
As long as these games either continue to be real late or not show up then the increase is going to be slow.

The other software issue would be Nintendo. At this time they currently have the most desirable software in JP but, obviously, not gonna put that on PC. If PC wants to grow that fast you would probably have to get them on the platform.

We just don’t have enough data for the region to really compare. While the PC market in JP has been growing, it is slow going. Perhaps one day it will but a couple of things would have to change in order for that to happen.

Analysts are expecting the Japanese gaming market to grow by 1/3 in 4 years. PC market doubled in 3 years. COVID had a boosting effect on tech that may or may not go away. PS5 availability will improve. Switch successor may get more third party support, especially among lucrative service games. Mobile already has those things and Japan may be the only place where streaming to mobile actually makes sense for higher end games.

Those are all headwinds I see PC encountering in Japan. The perfect storm of lockdowns, crypto, console launches and inflation is influencing the data in ways that might not be fully understood until much later.

But I do think the cat is out of the bag when in comes to develop and publisher buy-in. They are making money on PC and no longer fear it as a lawless, pirate-infested land. They figured out digital distribution with discounts and DLC. The digital store they are on won't have a life of 10 years but be maintained indefinitely. Microsoft caught on with Smart Delivery to blur between generations. Sony caught on with the PlayStation Store. Nintendo seems to be headed in that direction if the presentation slide about Nintendo Accounts is to indicative of their intentions, though 3DS/Wii U also share the same account as Switch and their shops are being shuttered.

It is just unfortunate that PC is growing after the HD transition that eroded a lot of the development scene. Talent pools are shrinking but thanks to social media it's possible independent developers can lead to another renaissance. There just needs to be some investment.

Analysts are expecting the Japanese gaming market to grow by 1/3 in 4 years. PC market doubled in 3 years. COVID had a boosting effect on tech that may or may not go away. PS5 availability will improve. Switch successor may get more third party support, especially among lucrative service games. Mobile already has those things and Japan may be the only place where streaming to mobile actually makes sense for higher end games.

Those are all headwinds I see PC encountering in Japan. The perfect storm of lockdowns, crypto, console launches and inflation is influencing the data in ways that might not be fully understood until much later.

But I do think the cat is out of the bag when in comes to develop and publisher buy-in. They are making money on PC and no longer fear it as a lawless, pirate-infested land. They figured out digital distribution with discounts and DLC. The digital store they are on won't have a life of 10 years but be maintained indefinitely. Microsoft caught on with Smart Delivery to blur between generations. Sony caught on with the PlayStation Store. Nintendo seems to be headed in that direction if the presentation slide about Nintendo Accounts is to indicative of their intentions, though 3DS/Wii U also share the same account as Switch and their shops are being shuttered.

It is just unfortunate that PC is growing after the HD transition that eroded a lot of the development scene. Talent pools are shrinking but thanks to social media it's possible independent developers can lead to another renaissance. There just needs to be some investment.
For the bolded I would say that they still do with the amount of drm we still see from publishers.

At least not in this decade. Many of the most popular games aren't even on PC to begin with.

For the bolded I would say that they still do with the amount of drm we still see from publishers.
Well PC is an open platform after all
Not happening when the biggest sellers are all console exclusives.

At least not in this decade. Many of the most popular games aren't even on PC to begin with.
Many of the bigger third party games are however.

Steam Weekly Top Sellers by revenue: 2022 Nov 15 - Nov 22

(Japan)

01./05. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II (¥9.680)
02./02. Yu-Gi-Oh! Master Duel (¥0)
03./04. Apex Legends (¥0)
04./07. Monster Hunter Rise (¥1.995) 50% off
05./03. Tower of Fantasy (¥0)
06./00. Tales of Arise (¥3.511) 60% off
07./62. JR EAST Train Simulator (¥2.980) [New]
08./00. Monochrome Mobius: Rights and Wrongs Forgotten (¥7.722) [New] 10% off
09./00. ZERO Sievert (¥2.070) [New] 10% off
10./29. Dead or Alive Xtreme Venus Vacation (¥0)

11./01. Tactics Ogre: Reborn (¥5.480)
14./00. Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales (¥4.900) [New]
16./86. Warhammer 40,000: Darktide (¥5.200) [Preorder]
25./06. Sonic Frontiers (¥6.589)
30./20. Monster Hunter: World (¥1.495) 50% off
31./17. Persona 5 Royal (¥7.678)
36./21. Elden Ring (¥9.240)
40./47. Monster Hunter Rise: Sunbreak (¥3.742) 25% off
45./41. Final Fantasy XIV Online (¥2.420)
48./37. Monster Hunter: World - Iceborne (¥1.995) 50% off
77./65. Guilty Gear: Strive (¥3.990)
88./26. Harvestella (¥7.680)
95./00. Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII Reunion (¥6.820) [Preorder]
99./42. Star Ocean: The Divine Force (¥8.778)

(Taiwan)

01./38. MahjongSoul ($0)
02./01. Undecember ($0)
03./07. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II ($2.219)
04./24. Naraka: Bladepoint ($569)
05./05. Monster Hunter Rise ($560) 50% off
06./47. Warhammer 40,000: Darktide ($1.149) [Preorder]
07./02. Sid Meier's Civilization VI ($179) 90% off
08./08. Counter-Strike: Global Offensive ($0)
09./04. Apex Legends ($0)
10./00. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - GOTY Edition ($795) 50% off

14./98. Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales ($1.190) [New]
16./00. Monochrome Mobius: Rights and Wrongs Forgotten ($1.258) [New] 10% off
22./03. Tactics Ogre: Reborn ($1.490)
71./18. Sonic Frontiers ($1.290)
85./37. Persona 5 Royal ($1.790)

(South Korea)

01./21. DJMax Respect V (₩49.800)
02./00. DJMax Respect V - V Extension III Pack (₩21.080) [New] 15% off
03./04. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II (₩84.500)
04./02. PUBG: Battlegrounds (₩0)
05./01. Dave the Diver (₩24.000)
06./03. Football Manager 2023 (₩59.000)
07./05. Sid Meier's Civilization VI (₩6.500) 90% off
08./76. Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales (₩44.800) [New]
09./06. Monster Hunter Rise (₩24.200) 50% off
10./08. GrandChase (₩0)

11./59. Warhammer 40,000: Darktide (₩44.000) [Preorder]
68./40. Persona 5 Royal (₩69.800)

(Hong Kong)

01./04. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II ($548)
02./01. Counter-Strike: Global Offensive ($0)
03./35. MahjongSoul ($0)
04./09. Naraka: Bladepoint ($159)
05./03. PUBG: Battlegrounds ($0)
06./08. Lost Ark ($0)
07./02. Apex Legends ($0)
08./05. Undecember ($0)
09./39. Warhammer 40,000: Darktide ($299) [Preorder]
10./00. Nobody - The Turnaround (/) [New]

15./80. Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales ($398) [New]
34./00. Monochrome Mobius: Rights and Wrongs Forgotten ($331) [New] 10% off
49./29. Persona 5 Royal ($438)
51./10. Tactics Ogre: Reborn ($399)

(China)

01./04. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II (¥446)
02./05. Naraka: Bladepoint (¥98)
03./01. Counter-Strike: Global Offensive (¥0)
04./21. MahjongSoul (¥0)
05./03. PUBG: Battlegrounds (¥0)
06./00. Nobody - The Turnaround (/) [New]
07./02. Apex Legends (¥0)
08./06. Sid Meier's Civilization VI (¥20) 90% off
09./00. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - GOTY Edition (¥134) 50% off
10./07. FIFA 23 (¥248)

12./54. Warhammer 40,000: Darktide (¥188) [Preorder]
30./00. Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales (¥319) [New]
42./26. Persona 5 Royal (¥329)

Previous week's rankings
Paid+Free multiplayer games, versions of many popular mobile games. Those players tend to be more numerous, active and lucrative than console.

game_users.png

game_market_scale.png

I think a centralized platform would help grow the crossover between PC and mobile.

Doubt it will happen. As long as consoles still locks exclusives from PC in japan and Nintendo game itself don't cross to PC. It will stays niche even if there is some growth.

Doubt it will happen. As long as consoles still locks exclusives from PC in japan and Nintendo game itself don't cross to PC. It will stays niche even if there is some growth.

Animal Crossing is only on console
Pokémon is only on console
Splatoon is only on console
Smash Bros in only on console
Mario Kart is only on console
Mario 3D is only on console
Zelda 3D is only on console

And the list goes on.

The only properly big sellers (multi millions) that came to PC last/current gen were Monster Hunter and Dragon Quest, which are also both available on PS4/NSW (and if I remember correctly they both were late PC ports).

I don't see PC ever winning out against Nintendo. PlayStation didn't make it, Steam won't make it either.
There is some point to be made about Nintendo being present on popular platforms. As they show up on mobile lists.

app_ranking_downloads.png

app_ranking_consumer_spend.png

app_ranking_mau.png

I would argue that market was already built when Nintendo came. That is to say growth came after efforts were made to build that market to the point where it surpassed consoles.

Last edited:
Nintendo's efforts in mobile gaming were sensibly downsized during the Switch generation. As things currently stand, and they may always change in the future, expecting Nintendo to develop for PC isn't realistic.
You are missing my point.

Nintendo still views PC as competitive. iOS/Android are seen as a different market for better or worse and even there Nintendo doesn't support things like TV or controller optimization with their games.

Do you think the PC market in Japan is different, cheaply available and ingrained in the every day life of everyone enough to cater to a casual audience bigger than the traditional console gaming?

I don't think there is any similarity between PC and mobile.
Gaming capable mobile phones were ubiquitous prior App Store and Google Play Store but needed standardization before it could meet it's full potential. PCs are also ubiquitous and games come in many guises.
Nintendo still views PC as competitive. iOS/Android are seen as a different market for better or worse and even there Nintendo doesn't support things like TV or controller optimization with their games.
Mobile game market existed and even thrived before Nintendo released any games on it.

Many of the bigger third party games are however.
They are also on Ps4/Ps5 and that has done wonders to the system.
Until Third partys can show they can make new popular games and release day 1 on PC I seriously doubt it will do anything untill we get the first 70% PC 30% PSx game nothing will change.

Mobile game market existed and even thrived before Nintendo released any games on it.
Not only that, it disrupted their global console market. To the point investors were on Nintendo's case for years pushing for mobile dev.

Nintendo starting up on PC would probably take a similar global market disruption.

Not only that, it disrupted their global console market. To the point investors were on Nintendo's case for years pushing for mobile dev.
Investors pushing Nintendo to develop for mobile doesn't mean mobile disrupted Nintendo's market. I'm pretty sure they've also stated their mobile efforts are more of a gateway into their console business than a dedicated effort to bring their IPs to systems outside of Nintendo platforms, which checks out since Mario Kart Tour and (to my knowledge) Animal Crossing Pocket Camp are the only two active mobile projects that resemble their console counterpart's gameplay.

PC is a different beast. It means porting console games over and I just don't see that happening.

Nintendo starting up on PC would probably take a similar global market disruption.

Point is a market can grow organically sans Nintendo.

Point is a market can grow organically sans Nintendo.
Was that ever in contention? The PC market can grow around Nintendo in JP, however it is currently lacking the software to do that in a timely manner. 3rd parties aren’t putting their games on their day & date or even at all. It’s missing what happened in the mobile market to have it grow without Nintendo, & the rest of the players from the dedicated hardware market. If Nintendo isn’t onboard then the growth will be slow as they control all the desirable IP in JP right now.

Was that ever in contention? The PC market can grow around Nintendo in JP, however it is currently lacking the software to do that in a timely manner. 3rd parties aren’t putting their games on their day & date or even at all. It’s missing what happened in the mobile market to have it grow without Nintendo, & the rest of the players from the dedicated hardware market. If Nintendo isn’t onboard then the growth will be slow as they control all the desirable IP in JP right now.

Two of the biggest third party releases of the 2022, Elden Ring and Sunbreak, were simultaneous releases on PC. The market is fluid, not unchanging. Also your last sentence is not true.

Two of the biggest third party releases of the 2022, Elden Ring and Sunbreak, were simultaneous releases on PC. The market is fluid, not unchanging. Also your last sentence is not true.
Where did I even mention it was unchanging? And? Like that’s two releases out of many. While they are big games it is not entirely the norm. Games are coming way later or not at all, looking at you FF14; for the market to grow faster they will need to make day & date the norm, or at least near it.

My last sentence isn’t true in what sense? Your in the Media Create threads so you know exactly what is going on in that market. Nintendo controls the vast majority of desirable IP in Japan. If you wanna grow the PC market in JP faster, then getting them onboard would do that.

Where did I even mention it was unchanging? And? Like that’s two releases out of many. While they are big games it is not entirely the norm. Games are coming way later or not at all, looking at you FF14; for the market to grow faster they will need to make day & date the norm, or at least near it.

My last sentence isn’t true in what sense? Your in the Media Create threads so you know exactly what is going on in that market. Nintendo controls the vast majority of desirable IP in Japan. If you wanna grow the PC market in JP faster, then getting them onboard would do that.
The market doubled in 3 years. I mentioned developer buy-in which was on display at TGS. FF14 was also a simultaneous launch on PC. The adjustments you made in your second paragraph are now no longer untrue, namely Nintendo controlling all desirable I.P.s. The data shows that though they participate in the biggest gaming market in Japan they do not exclusively control the biggest I.P.s in that segment. They do not have a monopoly. On the contrary, that segment saw rapid growth (like PC gaming apparently is seeing at this moment) before Nintendo entered that market.

If they weren't interested in buying a big bulky console like the PS5 why would they buy an even bigger bulkier platform like a PC at even greater cost?

If they weren't interested in buying a big bulky console like the PS5 why would they buy an even bigger bulkier platform like a PC at even greater cost?

Laptops are sold in Japan alongside desktops.

The market doubled in 3 years. I mentioned developer buy-in which was on display at TGS. FF14 was also a simultaneous launch on PC. The adjustments you made in your second paragraph are now no longer untrue, namely Nintendo controlling all desirable I.P.s. The data shows that though they participate in the biggest gaming market in Japan they do not exclusively control the biggest I.P.s in that segment. They do not have a monopoly. On the contrary, that segment saw rapid growth (like PC gaming apparently is seeing at this moment) before Nintendo entered that market.
Your gonna have to show the bolded. I would like to see the methods for which they collected this data.

My collegues here resume the problem: Nintendo is main driver of Japanese development with 75-80% dedicated market, and software and hardware integration was the core of company. The app was a "trojan horse" to Nintendo system. Nintendo produces ( and pokemon go worker this way in US, you can trace great correlation with the Pokemon mains series grow in US because of Pokemon GO[1]) smartphones games to make awareness of dedicated counterparts ( and pokemon go have the same effect).

At first glance, the Pc "expansion" was a cannibalization of the corpse of sony platforms. How this transform in Nintendo cannibalization too? When Nintendo seems to expand in this direction too? Stronger than ever in this local market and most PC players works in China, the US? Hot to tackle this question?

The Pc expansion doesn´t seem new market, it seems a red ocean market. And in red ocean strategy terms how to beat Nintendo?

And the volume of revenue is not a good measure, profitability is better when confronting a dedicated market with the smartphone market.

[1] https://www.theverge.com/2019/2/28/...eld-franchise-history-niantic-nintendo-switch

Last edited:
You are going to have to ask Famitsu how they come up with their models.
I mean that doesn't support your point. Looking at Famitsu, Nintendo has the most important IPs in the Japanese the market. At this point only MH and DQ have that level of pull, and for DQ it's hard to know how much pull there would be outside of Nintendo ecosystem.

Elden Ring was very successful, but is not what would be categorized as one of the top echelon of IPs in the Japanese market.

The problem is what type of time scale are you talking about, and what kind of hypothetical are we entertaining?

Right now the PC market is still far away from the Nintendo/Switch market, even without taking into account the other console manufacturers.

In terms of install base going the Dr Toto post they would need similarly level of growth(in raw numbers) for another decade before they can match the likes of DS/3DS/Switch. In terms of revenue it might be closer but would still require 5+ years of the same level of growth to do that?

By 2025(your timeframe in the OP) I still think it will significantly lag consoles, there's even a possibility that the console market grows(by revenue at least) based on the PS5 and the Switch successor probably being more expensive.

The problem is what type of time scale are you talking about, and what kind of hypothetical are we entertaining?

Right now the PC market is still far away from the Nintendo/Switch market, even without taking into account the other console manufacturers.

In terms of install base going the Dr Toto post they would need similarly level of growth(in raw numbers) for another decade before they can match the likes of DS/3DS/Switch. In terms of revenue it might be closer but would still require 5+ years of the same level of growth to do that?

By 2025(your timeframe in the OP) I still think it will significantly lag consoles, there's even a possibility that the console market grows(by revenue at least) based on the PS5 and the Switch successor probably being more expensive.
This is not even to mention if the PC market will maintain this level of growth that we see over the last 3yrs.

I mean that doesn't support your point. Looking at Famitsu, Nintendo has the most important IPs in the Japanese the market. At this point only MH and DQ have that level of pull, and for DQ it's hard to know how much pull there would be outside of Nintendo ecosystem.

Elden Ring was very successful, but is not what would be categorized as one of the top echelon of IPs in the Japanese market.

The models they use would be in the data that you’ve talked about which if you are saying the data suggests then we should be able to see. Unless it is the article that you posted in the OP?

"Online game platform" is an annoyingly vague grouping of non-console games so presumably PC and mobile.

Older data I avoided included because it was pre-covid but has a better breakdown by segment.

3089a87060fff576e0f8d47b9ecfec4e.png

778ff7d8d7095aaa65cb5ecb1d37bf1b.png

Another helpful link thank reports segment breakdown for 2020. Kadokawa is their short the the graph comparing mobile to PC/console.

Mobile is the biggest segment in the Japanese gaming industry.

Last edited:
"Online game platform" is an annoyingly vague grouping of non-console games so presumably PC and mobile.

Older data I avoided included because it was pre-covid but has a better breakdown by segment.

I thought you were referring to the console market of premium games given this is about PC supplanting the box three. There’s not a lot of reason to bring up mobile in this context either.

Another helpful link thank reports segment breakdown for 2020. Kadokawa is their short the the graph comparing mobile to PC/console.

Mobile is the biggest segment in the Japanese gaming industry.
Revenue and user base are what I mean by surpass.
I don’t think the is refutes that Nintendo owns a majority of desirable IP in JP. They have an effective monopoly in the dedicated hardware space. While still having a lot of cache outside the dedicated sphere.

Specialty rigs like this aren't sold in brick and mortar stores.
These aren't specially PCs. And I don't know how pc parts are sold in Japan, but I would assume most stores where you can get pc parts would carry something similar

I don’t think the is refutes that Nintendo owns a majority of desirable IP in JP. They have an effective monopoly in the dedicated hardware space. While still having a lot of cache outside the dedicated sphere.
Though people play Pokemon, Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem and Mario Kart on mobile it's far from a monopoly.

To use an analogy it's like Marvel movies being available on other streaming sites, namely Netflix. They do well in their established field of traditional box office returns and also do well on a platform where they have plenty of competition but if they were to leave said platform it's not as if the platform will shrivel up and die.

Mobile is that way now. PCs are ubiquitous and access to games is only going to increase regardless of the hardware make up so the potential is there that it can reach a similar state. Mobile didn't need Nintendo's participation or cooperation to become as big as it is today. It's still early days but l think the market is large enough to support several big fish staying in their own lanes.

It's hard to see now as I'm sure it was hard to see mobile erupting when iPhone came out in 2008 and said gaming wasn't a focus of their's. The market had other plans for them though.

Though people play Pokemon, Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem and Mario Kart on mobile it's far from a monopoly.

To use an analogy it's like Marvel movies being available on other streaming sites, namely Netflix. They do well in their established field of traditional box office returns and also do well on a platform where they have plenty of competition but if they were to leave said platform it's not as if the platform will shrivel up and die.

Mobile is that way now. PCs are ubiquitous and access to games is only going to increase regardless of the hardware make up so the potential is there that it can reach a similar state. Mobile didn't need Nintendo's participation or cooperation to become as big as it is today. It's still early days but l think the market is large enough to support several big fish staying in their own lanes.

It's hard to see now as I'm sure it was hard to see mobile erupting when iPhone came out in 2008 and said gaming wasn't a focus of their's. The market had other plans for them though.

Nintendo is not even big dogs in mobile both in japan or worldwide lol. They are still far from coming close to Mixi or other mobile devs there.

Nintendo is not even big dogs in mobile both in japan or worldwide lol. They are still far from coming close to Mixi or other mobile devs there.
Yes that is my point. A market succeeding independent of the involvement and performance of a single company

Back
Top Bottom