• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

Square Enix output strategy | Discussion thread.

What platforms do you believe Dragon Quest XII will release on?

• Nintendo platform (Switch and/or Switch successor)

Votes: 58 89.2%
  • PlayStation 5

Votes: 38 58.5%
  • PlayStation 4

Votes: 28 43.1%
  • PC

Votes: 36 55.4%
  • Xbox (One and/or Series)

Votes: 25 38.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Is it really covid or a convenient excuse for "there aren't enough PS5's on the market"?

That's what i was thinking, but if that's the case i don't know why they'd bother showing it in the spring after promising a short re-reveal>release. It sounds like they intend on releasing it next holiday.

It sounds like they were planning FFXVI for 2021 originally so even with optimistic projections it doesn't seem like they cared too much about the number of PS5s on the market, especially in Japan.

It sounds like they were planning FFXVI for 2021 originally so even with optimistic projections it doesn't seem like they cared too much about the number of PS5s on the market, especially in Japan.
This was originally a PS4 game. Sony put the money to make it exclusive to PS5.

I’m still on train FY2022/23. I think S-E wants to show the game with less than a year of its release date. IIRC they did the same thing with FFVIIR P1 re-reveal.

FFX arrived early in the PS2's lifecycle and went on to enjoy sales for years as the userbase grew and the Greatest Hits version was released. Perhaps they planned on having a hit game arrive early that grew alongside the PS5 sales. Considering where the series is headed, it's also possible the game has live services features.

FFX arrived early in the PS2's lifecycle and went on to enjoy sales for years as the userbase grew and the Greatest Hits version was released. Perhaps they planned on having a hit game arrive early that grew alongside the PS5 sales. Considering where the series is headed, it's also possible the game has live services features.
First week sales of FFX was 1.7 million, maybe if all PS5 owners buy 2 copies.

Is it really covid or a convenient excuse for "there aren't enough PS5's on the market"?

COVID has been a challenge throughout the gaming industry, and contrary to what you hear in some places, Nintendo didn't just get lucky with ACNH's release date.

Last edited:
The thing about not enough PS5s being on the market is that globally speaking the PS5 has been shipping units like crazy, on par with the best selling consoles ever.

If it's about Japan then even being very optimistic about PS5's early adoption would make it difficult for FFXVI to get close to FFXV if launched in 2021.

This was originally a PS4 game. Sony put the money to make it exclusive to PS5.

I’m still on train FY2022/23. I think S-E wants to show the game with less than a year of its release date. IIRC they did the same thing with FFVIIR P1 re-reveal.

Apparently was still planned for 2021 after PS4 was dropped.

The plan is simple.

Keep FF XIV going for as long as possible.

Keep cycling in new mobile games, which do very well but are mostly not of the long lasting variety.

Small budget remakes and ports of everything Kawazu related.

Build up new remakes and ports for the next DQ game.

Release their big deal FF games on PlayStation with timed or full exclusivity.

Make a new Eidos game or two every generation.

That's it really. The only questions are if they are going to do any non mobile smaller scale KH projects before releasing the next big title.

FFXVI having development issues thanks to COVID and still not getting a Work-From-Home pipeline running smoothly

FHlsQwaaIAEb8fJ

thankfully i have a PS5 but man i mainly game on my xbox series x and this is going to be a long wait when FF16 is released, and they don't do the FF7R since it is still not out on xbox.

I’m not sure where people are getting big cinematic games and Gamepass. Most of the big Square games aren’t even on Xbox. On the other hand, Microsoft pays for ports of Switch games like OT and DQ11s.

As for “courting” the only company they “court” is Sony. Which will continue to happen as Sony keeps paying them. Not necessarily out of favoritism per se .Which as it’s been said is the current MO; get companies to pay for things. Or the game to pay for itself like GAAS or Mobile Gatcha.

Everything else that doesn’t meet those criteria will most likely be on Switch/mobile with a few multiplat.

Anyway I find it terribly interesting that now you can buy the upgrade for the PS Plus version of of the FF VIIR Intergrade.

Edit: Clarity

Last edited:
I’m not sure where people are getting big cinematic games and Gamepass. Most of the big Square games aren’t even on Xbox. On the other hand, Microsoft pays for ports of Switch games like OT and DQ11s.

As for “courting” the only company they “court” is Sony. Which will continue to happen as Sony keeps paying them. Which as it’s been said is the current MO; get companies to pay for things. Or the game to pay for itself like GAAS or Mobile Gatcha.

Everything else that doesn’t meet those criteria will most likely be on Switch/mobile with a few multiplat.

Anyway I find it terribly interesting that now you can buy the upgrade for the PS Plus version of of the FF VIIR Intergrade.

Final Fantasy XV was multiplat and it received an Xbox version. Final Fantasy XIII trilogy was also multiplat. Xbox is widely expected to get Final Fantasy 7 Remake at some point, and last year, games like Final Fantasy IX were on Gamepass. The number of Japanese games on Xbox has gotten better in the last few years.

Nintendo publishes some of Square Enix's games outside Japan like mainline Dragon Quest games on Nintendo platforms as well as spinoffs in addition to publishing Asano games outside Japan on the Switch. So Nintendo is treated as a potential partner in addition to Sony.

Final Fantasy XV was multiplat and it received an Xbox version. Final Fantasy XIII trilogy was also multiplat. Xbox is widely expected to get Final Fantasy 7 Remake at some point, and last year, games like Final Fantasy IX were on Gamepass. The number of Japanese games on Xbox has gotten better in the last few years.
I can’t fix the quote so here we go.

FF 15 started life as a 13 spin off. At the time period, MS was buying a ton of stuff from Square as a result a lot of contracts were made that didn’t come to fruition until later. FF7R was rumored to by going to Xbox last year as well and that didn’t happen. Right now, the 3 biggest cinematic Square Enix Japanese developed games aren’t slated for Xbox any time soon, and neither is FF 14. (I can’t work with rumors)

Anyway my point wasn’t about the number of Japanese games going to Xbox; but the kind of Square ports. It’s the Switch ports.

I don’t think they don’t consider Nintendo a partner. Nintendo is just far more consistent, less big spender.

Last edited:
In some ways, the Final Fantasy of your childhood (1-5, 6 was a transition to the more modern settings) lives on as Bravely Default (although it uses a job system like 3 and 5 did, games that weren't localized until after mainline Final Fantasy became synonymous with PlayStation).
That was something that I've always enjoyed about Bravely Default, was its unabashably old school approach and how much fun it actually was.

The series has carved up quite the little niece for itself, and there seems to be some growth in that. So I do wonder what the future holds for the series.

I'm trying to think of the different series Square has been working with:

1. Final Fantasy - 16, 7 Remake Part 2 (assumed), Origins, Chocobo GP
2. Dragon Quest - X Offline, 12, Dai, 3 HD-2D, Treasures / Monsters???
3. Kingdom Hearts (nothing announced, 3 & Memory of Melodies released recently)
4. Mana - nothing announced (Trials remake & Legend port recently)
5. Asano - Triangle Strategy (recently released Bravely Default 2)
6. Forspoken
7. Saga - new game in the works
8. Nier - Replicant remaster recently and new game in the works
9. Other - Neo: TWEWY, etc.?

Am I missing anything big here? (Added KH Cloud Trilogy, Saga, Forspoken & Nier. Thanks folks)

Square Enix still has quite a few releases before the end of their FY which would be the end of March 2022. It will be interesting to see if DQX Offline gets a release in the West (so far, no indication of such plans)
Aw that's unfortunate.

Last edited:
I

6. Other - Neo: TWEWY, Saga ports, etc.?

Am I missing anything big here?

Aw that's unfortunate.
KH cloud trilogy on Switch, but I doubt that will move the needle for Square.

There's a new SaGa game coming as well, it's basically in the same boat as Mana. It's all Kawazu works on now, and probably will until he retires.

They have to be working on a new Nier after Automata success (6M sales).

Here's hoping they give it a good budget.

Tomoya Asano says other new titles are in development. Akitoshi Kawasu says he wants 2022 to be the year that one of his long-term preparations takes form.

EDIT: Taito has their 70th anniversary in 2023 and is preparing to celebrate with events and new titles.

Last edited:
XV and KH3 were both announced back before it was clear that XBONE was going to lose ground badly to the PS4. Also they are the two closest consoles in spec we've had since the days of the SG 1000 basically being a Coleco.

6. Forspoken
7. Saga - new game in the works
8. Nier - Replicant remaster recently and new game in the works
9. Other - Neo: TWEWY, etc.?

Am I missing anything big here? (Added KH Cloud Trilogy, Saga, Forspoken & Nier. Thanks folks)

Aw that's unfortunate.
If I remember correctly, Octopath 2 has already been hinted at/teased and there's a new Bravely mobile game coming out. Square also released that infographic that showed the KH timeline (I believe before MOM announcement). It didn't have details but I believe there's another mobile game coming right? Also you're missing that FFVII solider battle royale game. I'm surprised we haven't heard anything about Tomb Raider yet.

They at least made a trilogy out of Tomb Raider, i don't know if they can afford to make a game as expensive as avengers and not try to get more use out of those assets with at least 1 more game. It wouldn't surprise me if Avengers is the most expensive game they've ever made, excluding 10+ years of support for MMOs. Crystal Dynamics is a San Fran based studio, i don't even want to think about the overhead over there, Nirolak said it was 20k per employee per month, and that was like 5 years ago.

We know they are working on a new Tomb Raider, so it's just a matter of waiting (probably a few years until a announcement).

Just hope they get completely new writers and voice actress, because those last games were insufferable.

For reference, these should be all the notable releases they have announced so far.
  • FF6 Pixel Remaster - February
  • Bablyon's Fall - March 3
  • Triangle Strategy - March 4
  • Chocobo GP - March 10
  • Stranger of Paradise - March 18
  • Forspoken - May 24
  • Dragon Quest X Offline - Summer (with Ver. 1 DLC in Fall)
  • Dragon Quest Treasures
  • Dragon Quest III HD Remaster
  • Dragon Quest Dai: Infinity Strash
  • Final Fantasy XVI
  • Star Ocean: The Divine Force
  • Life is Strange Remastered Collection
  • Circuit Superstars PS4 & Switch
  • Lara Croft ports to Switch
  • New Mana game
  • New SaGa game
Taito
  • Taito Milestones - February
  • Egret II Mini - March 2
  • New Puzzle Bobble
Mobile
  • Echoes of Mana
  • Final Fantasy 7 Ever Crisis
  • Bravely Default Brilliant Lights
  • Fullmetal Alchemist Mobile
  • Irregular at Magic High School Reloaded Memory
  • Just Cause Mobile
  • Hitman Sniper Assassins
  • Space Invaders (SE Montreal)
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender (SE London)

.....Why would you not just let people buy your DLC, good grief.
I feel like we're very close to "Atlus being Atlus" getting company from "SE being SE".

Many very odd business decisions in the past couple weeks (see 80 Euro-Steam prices etc).

The article says this is only for those that buy the Digital Deluxe Edition. Why not include the physical Deluxe? And it also say it cannot be bought separately.

The article says this is only for those that buy the Digital Deluxe Edition. Why not include the physical Deluxe? And it also say it cannot be bought separately.
It's definitely an incentive to buy digitally, which Square Enix can control more easily. It's definitely a move that is targeting Western gamers since physical still rules in Japan. It will be interesting to see what Japanese sales of Stranger of Paradise will be. I imagine only the PS4 version would chart.

It's definitely an incentive to buy digitally, which Square Enix can control more easily. It's definitely a move that is targeting Western gamers since physical still rules in Japan.
Agreed. A recent trend lately for many publishers is to have no physical deluxe edition. Granted that tends to be cosmetics or other fluff items bot missions, but still. Even some deluxe physicals don’t touch Japan.

That said I have to wonder even with physical being so dominate if it’s 100% to cater to Western Markets or if it’s an effort to also push Japan into digital as well. (I’m not saying it will be successful).

Using Target to tease Triangle Strategy North American box art is definitely a new one.

(Off topic but this and the ESRB rating really makes me feel Kirby and The Forgotten Land is a March 2022 game)

New Year's letter from the Square Enix president. Keywords: NFT, Metaverse, and Blockchain.

"Play to contribute" sounds like they hope NFTs will be the future of GaaS games, but for many of their games an in game shop a la "CSGO gun skins" style shop will only end up cluttering the experience and making the game less attractive I feel.

I would bet on the execs hoping to make an AAA Avengers style game with heavy NFT use, but if they do end up making it also bet on it flopping.

The rest of the statement with AI and Cloud gaming makes sense and are sensible investments imo.

Back
Top Bottom