Koei Tecmo​
14↓ 2
NSW
Dragon Quest X: All in One Package Ver.1-7
¥5,400​
Square Enix​
15↓ 2
PS5
Macross: Shooting Insight (Limited Edition)
¥4,800​
Bushiroad​
16↓ 2
PS5
Unicorn Overlord (Monarch Edition)
¥15,980​
Atlus​
17NEW
PS4
Shin Megami Tensei V: Vengeance
NEW
¥8,980​
Atlus​
18↓ 3
NSW
SaGa: Emerald Beyond
¥6,800​
Square Enix​
19↓ 3
PS4
UFO Robot Grendizer: The Feast of the Wolves (Collector's Edition)
¥7,980​
3goo​
20↓ 3
NSW
Matsurika no Kei: Tenmei Iniden
¥6,800​
Idea Factory​

Combined SKUs

Platform​
Game​
Points​
Change​
Days Left​
Price​
Publisher​
PS5
Unicorn Overlord #
+1
¥7,980​
Atlus​
NSW
Winning Post 10 2024 #
¥8,800​
Koei Tecmo​

Rebirth's performance is shaping up to be unexpectedly disappointing.

Solid DD2 boost, finally gaining the traction it deserves. ROTR on the other hand doesn't seem too promising.

Disappointing drop for Unicorn Overlord, wonder if the demo had any effect.

if SE has a problem, it's on SE to try solutions
Yeah, SE its the only one that should develop their flagship IP with a hardware two generations lower.

From Software, RGG Studio, P-Studio, Tales of studio, Capcom with Resident Evil, even Konami with Silent Hill, all are wrong with what they are doing.

No chance that they could develop Fijal Fantasy games with the Switch in mind, maybe the Switch 2 can change that, lets hope so

Yeah, SE its the only one that should develop their flagship IP with a hardware two generations lower.

From Software, RGG Studio, P-Studio, Tales of studio, Capcom with Resident Evil, even Konami with Silent Hill, all are wrong with what they are doing.

No chance that they could develop Fijal Fantasy games with the Switch in mind, maybe the Switch 2 can change that, lets hope so
Whatever the next Nintendo hardware is, is going to be at least 1 generation behind, Capcom had no problem developing it's actual flagship series for Switch, and having what is most likely the best selling third party game ever in Japan (it could be Minecraft), Tales, Persona , LAD are on a different tier when it comes to franchises, but they would definitely benefit from releasing on 1 or 2 generation behind hardware, and lmao Silent Hill.

In any case I wouldn't use Comg to predict nationwide numbers, no one should.

They could, but they don't, and it would in fact be a similar but different game if they did.

And yeah, if the goal is to sell units in Japan roughly equal to prior entries, all the companies and studios you mentioned are all doing the wrong thing, sales figures make that abundantly clear. Capcom's president has basically already admitted that for improved software sales in Japan in the current market dynamic, all roads lead through Nintendo. So if they want that, they have a decision to make. If they will sacrifice that for sales elsewhere, so be it.

They could, but they don't, and it would in fact be a similar but different game if they did.

And yeah, if the goal is to sell units in Japan roughly equal to prior entries, all the companies and studios you mentioned are all doing the wrong thing, sales figures make that abundantly clear. Capcom's president has basically already admitted that for improved software sales in Japan in the current market dynamic, all roads lead through Nintendo. So if they want that, they have a decision to make. If they will sacrifice that for sales elsewhere, so be it.
Wrong?

Elden Ring sold 1 Million in a week in Japan, Yakuza its still doing well and have no history in Nintendo plataforms, RE4 Remake sold better that the last mainline RE game and if the next RE game is nextgen i doubt that they are going to release on the Switch 2.

I seriously doubt that most of these companies are going to change the way they work and yet they are still doing pretty well.

If Rebirth end up selling less that FF16 in Japan, i really dont know what the japanese fanbase wants lol

do you think that a system which sells 33k units in a week and the total of software sales in the top 30 is around 23k is normal ?
Famitsu tells me that last week 10k people bought PS5 without buying a game, and I'm not sure all those 10k people bought a digital game cause in Japan digital is not popular as much as in the West even if it grew up since 2020 due to lockdowns (even if in Japan, luckly, we didn't experience lockdowns)

But FF is a brand heavily declined and regarding FF7, how much they have milked this franchise in the last 15 years?
Too much in my opinion.

And regarding FF7r, I'd wait the first sales data before saying is doing worst than FF16, remember that COMG is just a small chain shop in the country.

Wrong?

Elden Ring sold 1 Million in a week in Japan, Yakuza its still doing well and have no history in Nintendo plataforms, RE4 Remake sold better that the last mainline RE game and if the next RE game is nextgen i doubt that they are going to release on the Switch 2.

I seriously doubt that most of these companies are going to change the way they work and yet they are still doing pretty well.
You are right that third parties will skip Nintendo in the future as well. But Nintendo will keep doing well without their support as well. Sony must be wondering why they can't compete with Nintendo in Japan when every big Japenese studio make all their games for Playstation 5 while they don't do anything for Nintendo and still Nintendo alone is enough to dominate Japan over all the other Japanese developers combined.

What does Rebirth vs FF16 look like on Amazon Japan? Better than comg.
Anyway, FF16 had sold 61K units on Amazon in its launch week.
iqqMDGh.jpg

If Rebirth end up selling less that FF16 in Japan, i really dont know what the japanese fanbase wants lol
They want it on Switch
SH aside (not sure if it is even that big sellers) all other studios are releasing multiplatform games with Capcom openly stating that they want to have PC as their primary platform.

Wrong?

Elden Ring was also released on PS4, RE4 Remake was also on PS4 and worldwide sales include many more device than just PS5. Only SE was "smart" enough to make FF IP into an exclusive like that - not to mention releasing games on EGS launcher on PS. I am curious to know where Persona and Yakuza IP would be if they were still PS exclusive without PC Day 1 launches.

But FF is a brand heavily declined and regarding FF7, how much they have milked this franchise in the last 15 years?
Too much in my opinion.
FF7R situation I find quite said. Considering that they are planning (allegedly) to release FF7 P3 in 2028, it would basically mean 12 years of remaking a game. And it takes so much time to release - would not be surprised that Atlus will release a bunch of other remakes by that time. Sega is crazy productive these days. New games, ports, remakes...

Last edited by a moderator:
Wrong?

GDL tells a different story. RE7, REVillage, RE2R, RE3R and RE4R all represent a downturn in sales in Japan on consoles even with digital accounted for. And so far, RE2R is the most successful of all of them, which released back in 2019. None of them could even out-perform the much-maligned RE6, some of them falling short by a wide margin.

Yakuza in Japan has seen marked declines, with the best-selling post-PS3 game being Yakuza 6 in 2016.

Also, Elden Ring sold 1 mil in 2 weeks. And not to put too fine a point on it, but the distinction here is how aggressively From Software has cultivated a PC fanbase in Japan over a very extended period of time, because relying solely on PS console sales, they'd still be waiting for that 1 mil record.

And not every game is going to benefit from the growth of PC game sales in Japan unless they put in the work over a prolonged period, and there's only so much that can be done for some series in that regard. PC will certainly help across the gamut, though (which is why Capcom is ensuring day 1 releases on PC for its titles, it can help supplement the decline or it might catch a really strong PC audience reception as seen with MonHun). But as of right now, that has no relevance to Rebirth, as a PC release missing the Feb launch date and thus not benefitting from the marketing push doesn't bolster its PC sales future (expect that it won't be more than a year before it ends up on Steam this time). That is not putting in the work.

But unless that PC market grows a bit more rapidly than it already is without it being due to PS hardware attrition, it's a band-aid at best, and one that will lose efficacy as PS as a platform continues to see sliding software sales figures. The story of the decline in PS software is not over, we have been watching it happen for the better part of 10 years already, in fits and starts at first but now with far greater consistency.

Meanwhile, all it takes for a game on Switch to exceed the current Japanese sales of FFXVI is for it to be able to sell to between 1 to 3% of all Japanese Switch hardware, with those percentages depending on anywhere between a 33% and 50% digital sales ratio for FFXVI. A Taiko game managed to exceed that, even with a far more realistic digital ratio. A TAIKO GAME. And despite not having a mainline release on Nintendo platforms in 2 decades, a PSP remaster of a side story for a game that never released on a Nintendo platform ever until 2019 sold 41% of its console retail copies on Switch in Japan.

Your posts on this subject in the thread may not be intended this way, but it really just comes across as you being mad at current market realities, those realities being that not every potential customer for the game has bought or intends to buy a PS5 and that not being day 1 on PC is going to cause diminished sales overall. Beyond day 1 PC releases that other publishers are embracing to stem the tide of lower software sales in Japan, the next option is to give up the ghost and just make games on the hardware consumers are buying the most of, to meet the public where they're at. With neither of those options in play, the situation will play out as expected.

Yakuza in Japan has seen marked declines,

─ How are sales of Yakuza 7 Gaiden going?

Yokoyama:
The sales in Japan have been astonishingly good. It has been very well received. ......(laughs)Thank you all very much. We have been able to hold additional trial sessions because of that.

─ Recently, it has often been mentioned that the popularity of the "Yakuza" series is spreading outside of Japan, but this time, sales in Japan were good.

Yokoyama:
This time, sales in Japan and Asia are particularly strong. We feel that the popularity of the series in Japan has been revived. I think "7 Gaiden" is the best-selling recent title in the series, including the main series.

─Congratulations. Was it more than you expected?

Yokoyama:
It is doing about twice as well as we had expected. But to be honest, I wasn't sure about the sales of "7 Gaiden" before its release.

The sales in Japan have been astonishingly good. It has been very well received. ......(laughs)Thank you all very much. We have been able to hold additional trial sessions because of that.
Interesting, could this potentially imply high digital and PC sales?

Guys, I say this with all the respect in the world: Why do some of you just ignore digital sales in Japan?

I swear that weeks ago, in a thread about Famitsu/Media Create sales, I saw people on this forum comparing the initial sales of Persona 3 Reload with some Atlus game on the Playstation 2 (!!!).

Did no one here learn anything from the Japanese release of Armored Core VI?
Post automatically merged:

─ How are sales of Yakuza 7 Gaiden going?

Yokoyama:

─ Recently, it has often been mentioned that the popularity of the "Yakuza" series is spreading outside of Japan, but this time, sales in Japan were good.

Yokoyama:
This time, sales in Japan and Asia are particularly strong. We feel that the popularity of the series in Japan has been revived. I think "7 Gaiden" is the best-selling recent title in the series, including the main series.

─Congratulations. Was it more than you expected?

Yokoyama:
It is doing about twice as well as we had expected. But to be honest, I wasn't sure about the sales of "7 Gaiden" before its release.

THANK
YOU

Guys, I say this with all the respect in the world: Why do some of you just ignore digital sales in Japan?
Of course not
I swear that weeks ago, in a thread about Famitsu/Media Create sales, I saw people on this forum comparing the initial sales of Persona 3 Reload with some Atlus game on the Playstation 2 (!!!).
Retail comparisons remain interesting for historical purposes. As long as it doesn't end up with X game selling less at retail than that PS2 game is a franchise decline, there's no issue.
Of course, it even started earlier with Elden Ring. I don't think ACVI was seen as disappointing.

However FF7R2 is in a different situation since it doesn't have a PC release.

If anything it seems like Steam did lots of heavy lifting for ACVI domestically.

THANK
YOU
3 years in and we still have almost no digital data on PS5 games in Japan because when third parties share sales milestones they also include PS4, Switch or Steam. It could be all a coincidence but it makes PS5 software sales appear really weak when exclusives are buried and only crossgen/multiplats are talked about.

Meanwhile, all it takes for a game on Switch to exceed the current Japanese sales of FFXVI is for it to be able to sell to between 1 to 3% of all Japanese Switch hardware, with those percentages depending on anywhere between a 33% and 50% digital sales ratio for FFXVI. A Taiko game managed to exceed that, even with a far more realistic digital ratio. A TAIKO GAME. And despite not having a mainline release on Nintendo platforms in 2 decades, a PSP remaster of a side story for a game that never released on a Nintendo platform ever until 2019 sold 41% of its console retail copies on Switch in Japan.

Amazing post overall and wanted to highlight this part. I forgot about CC and that was being downplayed due to "installbase" instead of looking at the overall picture

The relatively recent game where we know for sure it had a high digital share was Earth Defence Force 6.

THANK
YOU
Because if a game released now sells, at retail, more or at least close to a game released on PS2 or PS3 we can say that the game did better than those versions with digital, but if a game released now sells half or even less than a game on past platforms we can’t just jump to conclusions and say that the most likely scenario is that the game might just done as well with digital, it doesn’t work like that. There are no mythical 90% digital shares, when a game gets close to 50% digital share, there are reasons for that, retail shortages, big digital savings, pc version, a combination of those, etc., not every game launch has those factors.

COMG! Pre-Orders: February 25, 2024

Pos.​
Prev.​
Platform​
Game​
Points​
Change​
Days Left​
Price​
Publisher​
1-
PS5
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
+4
¥8,980​
Square Enix​
2-
PS5
Dragon's Dogma 2
¥8,990​
Capcom​
3↑ 1
NSW
Unicorn Overlord
+1
¥7,980​
Atlus​
4↑ 6
PS5
+2
¥8,980​
Atlus​
5↓ 2
PS5
Rise of the Ronin
¥8,164​
Sony Interactive Entertainment​
6↓ 1
PS5
Unicorn Overlord
¥7,980​
Atlus​
7↑ 6
NSW
Winning Post 10 2024
+1
¥8,800​
Koei Tecmo​
8↓ 2
NSW
Goblin Slayer Another Adventurer: Nightmare Feast
¥5,164​
Bushiroad​
9↓ 2
NSW
Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes
¥5,300​
505 Games​
10↓ 2
NSW
Princess Peach: Showtime!
¥5,980​
Nintendo​
11↓ 2
NSW
¥8,980​
Atlus​
12↓ 1
PS4
Dragon Quest X: Door to the Future and the Slumbering Girl Online
¥4,500​
Square Enix​
13↓ 1
NSW
Kemco RPG Selection Vol.6
¥3,980​
Kemco​
14-
NSW
¥5,400​
Square Enix​
15-
PS5
¥4,800​
Bushiroad​
16-
PS5
¥15,980​
Atlus​
17-
PS4
¥8,980​
Atlus​
18-
NSW
¥6,800​
Square Enix​
19-
PS4
UFO Robot Grendizer: The Feast of the Wolves (Collector's Edition)
¥7,980​
3goo​
20-
NSW
Matsurika no Kei: Tenmei Iniden
¥6,800​
Idea Factory​

Combined SKUs

Platform​
Game​
Points​
Change​
Days Left​
Price​
Publisher​
PS5
Unicorn Overlord #
¥7,980​
Atlus​

I always smile when I see someone comparing X game released on Switch (32 million units sold) with a game released on PS5 (5 million units sold).
It's like comparing a game released on PS2 and one on GC 20 years ago or 3DS vs. Vita 10 years ago, but seems like everyone still doesn't realize that.
And most of laugh is comparing FF7R (or FF16), RPG, with Taiko no Tatsujin, rhythm game.
Like apple and oranges.
You made my day, thank you !

I guess the catch up after FF XVI COMG points for FF7 Rebirth is over, right?

There really needs to be a big change to turn things around.

I always smile when I see someone comparing X game released on Switch (32 million units sold) with a game released on PS5 (5 million units sold).
It's like comparing a game released on PS2 and one on GC 20 years ago or 3DS vs. Vita 10 years ago, but seems like everyone still doesn't realize that.
And most of laugh is comparing FF7R (or FF16), RPG, with Taiko no Tatsujin, rhythm game.
Like apple and oranges.
You made my day, thank you !

Please pay attention to mod posts and thread title. We've asked the thread to get back on-topic and your post is anything but, see:
Mod Post
Please direct this discussion of the overall Japanese market, digital, and games to the Media Create Thread. This thread is for COMG preorders and discussion of that

The change to the title will be reverted when we get back on track.

Consider this a soft-warning, and the next time will be stricter action.

COMG! Pre-Orders: February 26, 2024

Pos.​
Prev.​
Platform​
Game​
Points​
Change​
Days Left​
Price​
Publisher​
1-
PS5
+1
¥8,980​
Square Enix​
2-
PS5
Dragon's Dogma 2
+1
¥8,990​
Capcom​
3-
NSW
Unicorn Overlord
+6
¥7,980​
Atlus​
4↑ 7
NSW
+6
¥8,980​
Atlus​
5↑ 1
PS5
Unicorn Overlord
+2
¥7,980​
Atlus​
6↓ 2
PS5
¥8,980​
Atlus​
7↓ 2
PS5
Rise of the Ronin
¥8,164​
8↓ 1
NSW
Winning Post 10 2024
¥8,800​
Koei Tecmo​
9↓ 1
NSW
¥5,164​
Bushiroad​
10↓ 1
NSW
¥5,300​
505 Games​
11NEW
PS4
Unicorn Overlord
NEW
¥7,980​
Atlus​
12↓ 2
NSW
¥5,980​
Nintendo​
13↓ 1
PS4
¥4,500​
Square Enix​
14↓ 1
NSW
¥3,980​
Kemco​
15↓ 1
NSW
¥5,400​
Square Enix​
16↓ 1
PS5
¥4,800​
Bushiroad​
17↓ 1
PS5
¥15,980​
Atlus​
18↓ 1
PS4
¥8,980​
Atlus​
19NEW
PS4
Animal Trail: Girlish Square (Full Production Limited Edition)
NEW
¥10,980​
Entergram​
20↓ 2
NSW
¥6,800​
Square Enix​

Combined SKUs

Platform​
Game​
Points​
Change​
Days Left​
Price​
Publisher​
PS5
Unicorn Overlord #
+2
¥7,980​
Atlus​

Nice, great movement for UO and SMTV:V

Proven disappointment does as expected.

Meanwhile on Amazon JP, 7R2 Amazon exclusive has just moved to 8k+ on Monday morning. It moved to 7k+ on Saturday morning around 6 AM (Japan). It did 1k in exactly 2 days. Since it pretty much remained at #4 overall during this and the standard has remained at #1 since it reached 20k on Friday morning meaning it has been moving faster, 7R2 should be at 30k+ now.

#​
FF15​
FF7R​
FF16​
FF7R2​
14 days ago352 pts271 pts84 pts86 pts
13 days ago354 pts273 pts84 pts88 pts
12 days ago365 pts282 pts84 pts90 pts
11 days ago371 pts287 pts87 pts93 pts
10 days ago379 pts291 pts88 pts96 pts
9 days ago389 pts294 pts91 pts98 pts
8 days ago400 pts297 pts97 pts100 pts
7 days ago409 pts306 pts100 pts100 pts
6 days ago416 pts315 pts105 pts100 pts
5 days ago420 pts326 pts114 pts104 pts
4 days ago431 pts339 pts125 pts108 pts
3 days ago436 pts346 pts154 pts109 pts
2 days ago454 pts348 pts157 pts
1 day ago464 pts431 pts165 pts
Release date470 pts470 pts166 pts

COMG preorders for PS5 are beyond strange. For example:
Resident Evil 4R 59pts 89662 Famitsu
LaD Infinite Wealth 38pts 102940 Famitsu

Both are „core“ games and have universal acclaim, so the comparison is as good as possible.

Wow, Rebirth is really lagging behind XVI at COMG. I didn't expect that. However, I still think it can do better first week.

I think Rebirth will launch bigger than FFXVI in the west but will launch lower in Japan. Because in the west PS5 software sales are going strong but for Japan they are weaker than ever before.

COMG! Pre-Orders: February 27, 2024

Pos.​
Prev.​
Platform​
Game​
Points​
Change​
Days Left​
Price​
Publisher​
1-
PS5
+1
¥8,980​
Square Enix​
2-
PS5
Dragon's Dogma 2
¥8,990​
Capcom​
3-
NSW
Unicorn Overlord
+2
¥7,980​
Atlus​
4-
NSW
¥8,980​
Atlus​
5-
PS5
Unicorn Overlord
+1
¥7,980​
Atlus​
6↑ 1
PS5
Rise of the Ronin
+1
¥8,164​
7↓ 1
PS5
¥8,980​
Atlus​
8-
NSW
Winning Post 10 2024
¥8,800​
Koei Tecmo​
9-
NSW
¥5,164​
Bushiroad​
10-
NSW
¥5,300​
505 Games​
11-
PS4
Unicorn Overlord
¥7,980​
Atlus​
12-
NSW
¥5,980​
Nintendo​
13-
PS4
¥4,500​
Square Enix​
14-
NSW
¥3,980​
Kemco​
15-
NSW
¥5,400​
Square Enix​
16-
PS5
¥4,800​
Bushiroad​
17-
PS5
¥15,980​
Atlus​
18-
PS4
¥8,980​
Atlus​
19-
PS4
Animal Trail: Girlish Square (Full Production Limited Edition)
¥10,980​
Entergram​
20-
NSW
¥6,800​
Square Enix​

Combined SKUs

Platform​
Game​
Points​
Change​