• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

Capcom: Monster Hunter World reaches 20M units (includes Iceborne Master Edition) [Up: 25M units (includes Iceborne ME) on MH Series 20th anniversary]

ggx2ac

Expert
(They publish Dark Souls)
Link: https://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/news/html/e211019.html

Press Release:

Monster Hunter: World Tops 20 Million Units Shipped Globally!

- Capcom aims to further grow user base with proactive expansion of the series overall -

Capcom Co., Ltd. (Capcom) today announced that multiplatform title Monster Hunter: World has shipped over 20 million units worldwide (includes shipments of Monster Hunter World: Iceborne Master Edition).

In recent years, Capcom's promotion of digital sales has enabled it to realize long-term, global sales for its major titles. With the January 2018 release of Monster Hunter: World in particular, Capcom was able to propel the Monster Hunter series to global-brand status with a series-first worldwide simultaneous launch coupled with international promotional activities, establishing the game as Capcom's best-selling title of all time within a month of its release and being honored with awards the world over. In the more than three years since the game's release, in addition to promoting digital sales, Capcom also launched Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (Iceborne, below), a massive premium expansion for the game, as well as a bundle containing both titles, capitalizing on synergies with Iceborne and resulting in prolonged sales that led Monster Hunter: World to achieve a Capcom all-time record of 20 million units shipped.

Also in the Monster Hunter series is Monster Hunter Rise, which has sold a cumulative 7.5 million units on Nintendo Switch™ (as of September 24, 2021). This title will also be released for PC (Steam) on January 13, 2022*, a demo version of which was released on October 14*. Moreover, Capcom aims to further grow the brand by actively promoting the series overall, including with Monster Hunter Rise: Sunbreak, a massive premium expansion for this title, which is scheduled for launch in summer of 2022.

Capcom remains firmly committed to satisfying the expectations of all users by leveraging its industry-leading game development capabilities in order to create highly entertaining gameplay experiences.

This will give an almost perfect estimate for the sales of Iceborne Master Edition when Capcom updates the Platinum sellers list until September.

Well Deserved Capcom !

Wondering if the PS4 version will become a 10 mil seller with the icebourne master edition

"in addition to promoting digital sales, Capcom also launched Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (Iceborne, below), a massive premium expansion for the game, as well as a bundle containing both titles, capitalizing on synergies with Iceborne and resulting in prolonged sales that led Monster Hunter: World to achieve a Capcom all-time record of 20 million units shipped."

I'm confused, doesn't this wording imply that Iceborne sales (not just master edition) are included in the 20 million? Or maybe not. As I wrote, the wording confuses me.

This basically mean they added the iceborne edition to sales

They will also do similarly for rise as well

Last edited:
Basically the Master Edition that includes Iceborne is part of the 20mil number.

"in addition to promoting digital sales, Capcom also launched Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (Iceborne, below), a massive premium expansion for the game, as well as a bundle containing both titles, capitalizing on synergies with Iceborne and resulting in prolonged sales that led Monster Hunter: World to achieve a Capcom all-time record of 20 million units shipped."

I'm confused, doesn't this wording imply that Iceborne sales (not just master edition) are included in the 20 million? Or maybe not. As I wrote, the wording confuses me.

As of June '21

Iceborne + Master edition = 8.2M
World = 17.3M

As of September/mid October '21

Iceborne + Master edition = 8.2 + ?
World = 17.3 + ?
World + Master edition = 20M

So Iceborne Master edition LTD is < 2.7M - World sales in the last quarter

Last edited:
what an insane story this series has, from weirdo ps2 release that did reasonably well, to single-handedly extending sony's portable line for a decade, to becoming the best-selling rpg series period next to pokemon.

So wait, is that 3 different editions combined? Or two?
Wish Capcom would properly separate those like they do for every other Monster Hunter and most of their games.

Well done, Capcom, fully deserved.

By being held back by the Xbox Series S.
We are talking sales here, not game graphics performance. Why would a Xbox Series S version hold back sales? If you mean prettier and better performance = more sales, by that same logic, you could say that MHW sales were held back by being on PS4 and not PC only, vanilla PS4 performance was not good.

So wait, is that 3 different editions combined? Or two?
Wish Capcom would properly separate those like they do for every other Monster Hunter and most of their games.

Basically
Example - MHW sold 8 mil, Iceborne sold 8 mil

and master edition sold 2 mil

then mhw = 10 mil ; iceborne = 10 mil

Incredible sales. I always believed, but not in 20 freaking million.

Looking forward to how Rise sells on PC and what MH:W 2 looks like.

Basically
Example - MHW sold 8 mil, Iceborne sold 8 mil

and master edition sold 2 mil

then mhw = 10 mil ; iceborne = 10 mil
Ah got it, thanks!
Well, hopefully they give us the detail so we can know the ratio/how many came back for the expansion/G version :p

Great numbers anyway, they definitely exceeded all expectations.
Game related: at least the next one will be on a better engine this time around (RE Engine rather than a frankenstein version of MT Framework). Hope they do their own thing but improve on Rise too (the parts that already tweaked the World aspects like scoutflies, online, etc).

We are talking sales here, not game graphics performance.
If that were really the case, why is the Series S being left out?

If you want to complain, complain about the esteemed user with his misleading post.

Last edited:
If that were really the case, why is the Series S being left out?
I could be wrong but I don't think this was done consciously, more like these have the biggest potential for growth as consoles and so grow the series sales due to enthusiastic buyers (?)

I don't agree with that assessment by the way (that these will necessarily bring growth), I think more like Maki.

This is the best performing third party game from Japan ever, dethroning FFVII.

Its a great game, it certainly deserves the sales. Rise is gonna be the second best selling Japanese third party game as well.

Like a wise man used to say : Capcom is back !

More seriously, I am mostly impressed by their pipeline and how good their games are currently. The fact that they still expanded, despite World's roaring success, to new platforms and AA games (especially in 2021) makes it even better.

They are the JP 3rd party with the best perspectives in the next years, and by far imho.

Truly an amazing performance.

I think MHW may be the best selling not-Nintendo title by a Japanese company.
Sega likes to claim something like 25m sales for Sonic the Hedgehog, but that's... kind of cheating. That figure includes millions of copies bundled with Genesis/MD hardware and nearly 10 million mobile downloads.

Let's not get hung up on a discussion about whether or not somebody wanted to exclude the Series S, or whether it will or won't hold back any game (please refrain from the 'system X will hold back Y game' argument in general unless you have a clearly defined and well-supported reason for bringing it up).

Last edited:
Never take Famitsu man predictions seriously. This doubled his estimations!

An insane achievement. Basically the only non-Nintendo games from Japan to achieve these numbers.

Amazing. As a huge fan of this series, this will never not be astonishing. I'm really happy about the success of this IP and the general performance of Capcom in the last few years.

What change in management/teams propelled Capcom to such heights?
They were your lambda japanese dev not so long ago.

They were your lambda japanese dev not so long ago.

How so? they were the best Japanese third party on The X360/PS3/Wii/DS/PSP generation as well, and built fantastic software for all of those systems.

I guess people didn't like the direction of RE6 (I hated it as well) and some of their other games but overall they were making more varied content than what they are doing now. I think its a mix of bringing back MH to consoles and rebooting RE, but overall they are the most consistent Japanese game company.

How so? they were the best Japanese third party on The X360/PS3/Wii/DS/PSP generation as well, and built fantastic software for all of those systems.

I guess people didn't like the direction of RE6 (I hated it as well) and some of their other games but overall they were making more varied content than what they are doing now. I think its a mix of bringing back MH to consoles and rebooting RE, but overall they are the most consistent Japanese game company.

I think Capcom had a rough spell from 2013-2017, with SFV doing below expectations, REVII missing targets several times, Dead Rising failing, the Panta Rhei engine seemingly passing through a gate of Oblivion, Marvel vs. CAPCOM infinite doing poorly both critically and commercially, and the RE franchise seemingly going into the bad spin-off direction with RE Biohazard. MHW in 2018 immediately turned those fortunes around of course, and 2019-2020 followed that up with critical darlings like the RE remakes and DMC V. Then 2021 brought MHR and REVIII, continuing a massive streak by Capcom.

If I were to hazard a guess, I'd think they had some big difficulties around the transition to gen 8, either due to management (poor choices or underbudgeting for the next generation games, for example) or because they had technological woes. It seems to have taken them around 4 years to nail the transition, and since then they've been coming out with one hit after another.

Last edited:
Holy shit, what a milestone!
And yeah, as many others in the thread say,this game sold so much more than any of us could imagine before launch. Monster Hunter was so focused on Japan and handheld gaming at the time (PSP and 3DS > Wii and PS3). It was a brave move to make a PC/home console game. Many were skeptical, myself included, but it definitely paid off.

I think Capcom had a rough spell from 2013-2017, with SFV doing below expectations, REVII missing targets several times, Dead Rising failing, the Panta Thei engine seemingly passing through a gate of Oblivion, Marvel vs. CAPCOM infinite doing poorly both critically and commercially, and the RE franchise seemingly going into the bad spin-off direction with RE Biohazard. MHW in 2018 immediately turned those fortunes around of course, and 2019-2020 followed that up with critical darlings like the RE remakes and DMC V. Then 2021 brought MHR and REVIII, continuing a massive streak by Capcom.

If I were to hazard a guess, I'd think they had some big difficulties around the transition to gen 8, either due to management (poor choices or underbudgeting for the next generation games, for example) or because they had technological woes. It seems to have taken them around 4 years to nail the transition, and since then they've been coming out with one hit after another.

You are right, they had difficulties in transitioning and RE series in particular lacked direction for quite sometime, but their games remained really strong despite everything. SFV, RE7, RER2, AA6, etc were good to great games. they just needed a big success to break the negativity.

MH has really become Capcom premier IP. You have Rise selling almost double what Village did, and that's exclusive vs 6 platforms. And MHW selling double the copies than 7 which was a return to form of the series.

Never in my wildest dream did I think this would be possible but not only did they make a breakout hit but they were able to transition most of that audience to other platforms at their whim. The way Rise is tracking they can get close to 15 million after the PC version and Sunbreak expansion hit.

What a remarkable display. Putting their biggest competitors Square Enix and Bandai Namco to utter shame.

I'm a little confused by their counting, but either way it's an unmitigated success. I never would've believed it could sell anywhere near these numbers. Still absolutely incredible

Incredible. I wonder what the top 5 best selling Japanese third party games of all time looks like. I'm sure this would be on top!

Incredible. I wonder what the top 5 best selling Japanese third party games of all time looks like. I'm sure this would be on top!
Depending on whether you count Pokémon, this will be either no. 1 or no. 4 (behind Pokémon Red/Blue/Green, Pokémon Gold/Silver, and Pokémon Sword/Shield). I don't think anything non-Pokémon even comes close, at most a select few Japanese third party games have passed the 10M barrier.

I obviously meant both Xbox Series console (but forgot to write XSS). Anyway MH World did extremely well also on Steam despite a mediocre port released multiple months after the console release and with a delayed update schedule.
Rise is performing above expectations on Switch too.

I don't see why a new iteration of MH World can't exceed the original worldwide, considering the IP now is in a completely different level in terms of awareness.

Last edited:
What was the last known number and when? I kind of remember the number being 17 something millions a few months ago, if that’s the case it seems like it accelerated a lot for no reason.

Square Enix might be even more jealous now 🤭
Properly speaking now, massive accomplishment for Capcom. Biggest non-Nintendo IP JP sales ever. Incredible how MH World single-handely reverted their misfortunes early in the generation (Remember when people where clamoring for Capcom to be sold?).

Very impressive, congratulations to Capcom and the MH team. When MHW was announced I had a hunch the game would do really well on home consoles and PC, but I never expected it to be this sort of a success.

Can't wait to see MHW2, have no doubts it will be a treat and play beautifully on my PS5 in 2023 (if we're lucky).

With Monster Hunter: World, Capcom drove the Monster Hunter series to global-brand status with a series-first worldwide simultaneous launch and international promotional activities, establishing the game as Capcom’s best-selling title of all time within a month of its release. In the six years since the game’s launch, Capcom has continued to promote digital sales, leading Monster Hunter: World to achieve a new Capcom all-time-record of 25 million cumulative units sold. Further, in December of last year Capcom revealed Monster Hunter Wilds, garnering broad attention with the announcement that the latest title in the series is scheduled for release in 2025.

Properly speaking now, massive accomplishment for Capcom. Biggest non-Nintendo IP JP sales ever. Incredible how MH World single-handely reverted their misfortunes early in the generation (Remember when people where clamoring for Capcom to be sold?).
its incredible that this aged like wine lmao

either way congrats capcom. monster hunter deserves it.
hopefully they recreate it with dragons dogma.

Monster Hunter World (including Iceborne Master Edition) reaches 25M units

I was giving a chance for someone to make a new thread seeing as the last post was from 2021, but that's fine. We'll bump this thread using the press release from Capcom.

Source: https://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/news/html/e240312.html

Press Release:

Monster Hunter: World Tops 25 Million Units Sold Globally!
– Sets new Capcom record-high for single-title sales in the series’ 20th anniversary year –​

Capcom Co., Ltd. (Capcom) today announced that Monster Hunter: World has sold over 25 million units* worldwide.

Celebrating its 20th anniversary in March 2024, the Monster Hunter series consists of hunting action games that pit players against giant monsters in beautiful natural environments. Beginning with the first title in 2004, the series established a new genre in which players cooperate to hunt ferocious monsters with their friends and has since grown into a global phenomenon with cumulative sales of the series exceeding 97 million units as of December 31, 2023.

With Monster Hunter: World, Capcom drove the Monster Hunter series to global-brand status with a series-first worldwide simultaneous launch and international promotional activities, establishing the game as Capcom’s best-selling title of all time within a month of its release. In the six years since the game’s launch, Capcom has continued to promote digital sales, leading Monster Hunter: World to achieve a new Capcom all-time-record of 25 million cumulative units sold. Further, in December of last year Capcom revealed Monster Hunter Wilds, garnering broad attention with the announcement that the latest title in the series is scheduled for release in 2025.
Capcom remains firmly committed to satisfying the expectations of all users by leveraging its industry-leading game development capabilities in order to create highly entertaining gameplay experiences.
(*Includes shipments of Monster Hunter World: Iceborne Master Edition)

[Product Details]

Monster Hunter: World
1. GenreAction RPG
2. PlatformPlayStation®4, Xbox One, PC (Steam)
3. Release DatePlayStation®4, Xbox One: January 26, 2018
PC: August 9, 2018 (August 10, 2018 JST)
*Xbox One version available in Europe and the Americas only.

Monster Hunter World: Iceborne
1. GenreAction RPG
2. PlatformPlayStation®4, Xbox One, PC (Steam)
3. Release DatePlayStation®4, Xbox One: September 6, 2019
PC: January 9, 2020 (January 10, 2020 JST)
*Xbox One version available in Europe and the Americas only.
*Also released Monster Hunter World: Iceborne Master Edition, a bundled set including Monster Hunter: World

Squeenix first repurposed the highly anticipated Versus 13 into a mainline FF, then brought back what many consider the most anticipated remake in gaming, then went after the Game of Thrones crowd with another mainline FF. All were reasonably successful enough but meanwhile at From Software, Bandai Namco and Capcom headquarters...

giphy.gif

Monster Hunter World and Elden Ring swooped in took their crown and ate their lunch.

Back
Top Bottom