• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

(2024 Edition) The Nintendo Switch 2 will launch in ...

Which month of 2024 will Switch 2 launch in?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Such as? Being cross gen from DS to 3DS and from 3DS to Switch are completely different things than from Switch to Switch 2
BW2 specifically. that had connection with a 3DS game at least. and I don't think they're that different considering we're talking about games being made to run on different hardware. they both would have to be ported to take advantage of improved hardware, with Switch games benefitting from a more modern dev environment where frame rate and resolution caps are arbitrary

I'd rather hope Pokemon doesn't get a game in 2024, so Gen X can be ready in 2025. Of course that would invite questions of what would Switch's swan song be?

BW2 specifically. that had connection with a 3DS game at least. and I don't think they're that different considering we're talking about games being made to run on different hardware. they both would have to be ported to take advantage of improved hardware, with Switch games benefitting from a more modern dev environment where frame rate and resolution caps are arbitrary
BW2 would have needed widescreen support, redrawn UI, and even then the sprites would look a lot smaller on the higher ppi 3DS screen. With Switch games all they’ll have to do is run the game better.

Every big Switch release post Drake launch will be a system seller for the latter - doesnt really matter what Nintendo or TPC thinks, assuming it has BC.

There are way too many people still sitting on the fences and havent bought a Switch in the last couple years because they want to jump in with the successor, as well as already having a long list of OG Switch games they also wanna play on that new system.

Time and money are limited and the launch of every big OG Switch game will be part of the Switch 2/Drake launch and something the will want to take advantage of.

BW2 would have needed widescreen support, redrawn UI, and even then the sprites would look a lot smaller on the higher ppi 3DS screen. With Switch games all they’ll have to do is run the game better.
that can also be applied to DS games ported to 3DS without using the features. that's probably why they never did a port and just relied on BC

That would make no sense unless there is no BC. Why is this something they should do?
I mean, they did it for MD1 despite BC. If they're doing dual versions, targeting one for each hardware with inter-compatibility could be an interesting sales experiment with the mainline with the potential for more involved differences and possibility to encourage the fanbase to upgrade sooner while still not leaving out the gigantic Switch base. Gamefreak could have their cake and eat it too.

What's going to be NSW2's Skyrim? I think Elden Ring or Baldur's Gate 3 or both.
BOTW, Skyrim and Xenoblade 2 tag teaming year one really helped define the diverse and sizable global RPG audience on Switch, which just continued into the subsequent early years in 2018-19 (DQXIS, Octopath, Dark Souls, TW3, DOS2, FETH, MHGU, Diablo III, Pokémon LG, etc). On the lower end I think the consistent early support of NIS (plus Falcom ports) and Gust in particular also helped attract and define the audience for the AA side of the genre on the platform, not to mention indies generally doing their thing to much success (Golf Story, Undertale, Stardew Valley, etc).

In terms of a game specifically like Skyrim, aka: a huge CRPG coming to Switch 2 in Year 1-ish, I think we'll see conversions of Baldur's Gate 3 (Larian), Cyberpunk 2077 (CDPR) and Diablo IV (Blizzard) specifically in or near that timeframe. Nintendo worked directly with all 3 studios on Switch 1 to bring their games over and I expect a repeat all around this gen has been in the works awhile. The only one off the table is really Bethesda with Starfield, but even there we'll probably still see Skyrim get a native release/upgrade patch and potentially other catalog Bethesda releases (Fallout 4, Oblivion remake, ESO).

Last edited:
BG3 and Cyberpunk.
Dont think ER will be there for launch if TotK gets any kind of Drake update. Its gonna be there at some point though.
I don't think either of these will really resonate with the Switch audience as well as Skyrim even though I absolutely expect to see both of them. I'm hoping Ubisoft will have a stronger presence on the successor with all their flagship IP as there is no good reason why they shouldn't.

Last edited:
I don't think either of these will really resonate with the Switch audience as well as Skyrim even though I absolutely expect to see both of them. I'm hoping Ubisoft will have a stronger presence on the successor with all there flagship IP as there is no good reason why they shouldn't.
What is the "Switch audience"?

What is the "Switch audience"?
Early Switch 2 adopters who will heavily skew in favour of Nintendo faithful. Skyrim was immediately very appealing because of its similarities to BOTW (which drew inspiration from it according to the devs) and even had BOTW tie-in content. I think BG3 and Cyberpunk will still appeal to this crowd but probably not to the same extent.

What's going to be NSW2's Skyrim? I think Elden Ring or Baldur's Gate 3 or both.
Or also Cyberpunk fits wells.

Another candidate would be RDR2 if its also getting a 4k/RT re-release/remaster for current sony/microsoft systems.

Early Switch 2 adopters who will heavily skew in favour of Nintendo faithful. Skyrim was immediately very appealing because of its similarities to BOTW (which drew inspiration from it according to the devs) and even had BOTW tie-in content. I think BG3 and Cyberpunk will still appeal to this crowd but probably not to the same extent.
If Skyrim is similar to BotW, then BG3 is similar to Fire Emblem and CP2077 is similar to Xenoblade.

Really don't think "audience" is gonna be an issue for these games, especially since early Switch 2-adopters will be the more enthusiast, "hardcore" crowd. Only reason I see these games sell less is because Skyrim is Skyrim, a game people buy just because. Still, portable BG3 and CP2077 might get quite popular. I see a lot of Steamdeck-owners ask "how do those run on Steamdeck?".

If Skyrim is similar to BotW, then BG3 is similar to Fire Emblem and CP2077 is similar to Xenoblade.

Really don't think "audience" is gonna be an issue for these games, especially since early Switch 2-adopters will be the more enthusiast, "hardcore" crowd. Only reason I see these games sell less is because Skyrim is Skyrim, a game people buy just because. Still, portable BG3 and CP2077 might get quite popular. I see a lot of Steamdeck-owners ask "how do those run on Steamdeck?".
Nintendo partnered with Bethesda to market BOTW content in Skyrim. This obviously proves they felt that there was enough of an overlap between the fanbases and synergy between the franchises that they invested in a tie-in.

I'm not sure how similar I'd consider Xenoblade and FE to CyberPunk and BG3, but since you made the comparison those Nintendo franchises sell dramatically less than Zelda in the first place which more or less proves there is less of a market for said style of games even amongst Nintento faithful.

Last edited:
TW3 sold quite well on Switch and Larian said DOS2 did better on the platform than they'd expected iirc. Nintendo also worked directly with both of them on bringing their CRPGs to the platform (particularly on Steam cross-save, as well as disto for TW3 on the first 32GB card outside Asia). I expect CP2077 and (especially) BG3 will perform significantly better and Nintendo will again be going out of their way to secure these ports.

Ditto for Elden Ring and Diablo IV really, though I dunno if they get another amiibo deal?

Diablo 4 is old news, though its likely gonna happen because of how well D2/3 worked on Switch - i REALLY wish Nintendo would make sure to get Path of Exile 2 on Switch 2. This was would be such a great get, especially with Cross-Play/Saves across the PC version.

After the Dark Souls fiasco, Nintendo probably won't roll out the red carpet for it again, even if it is Elden Ring.

Now a Cyberpunk Amiibo? Das dat good shit

After the Dark Souls fiasco, Nintendo probably won't roll out the red carpet for it again, even if it is Elden Ring.

Now a Cyberpunk Amiibo? Das dat good shit
Keanu Reeves-amiibo, make it happen, Nintendo!

Diablo 4 is old news, though its likely gonna happen because of how well D2/3 worked on Switch - i REALLY wish Nintendo would make sure to get Path of Exile 2 on Switch 2. This was would be such a great get, especially with Cross-Play/Saves across the PC version.
Tencent owns that so I could see a deal being done. POE1 too really.

Tencent owns that so I could see a deal being done. POE1 too really.
PoE 1 is too convoluted at this point and probably wouldnt be a great first/new experience for a new console audience, they also never bothered upgrading the console versions on Xbox/PS versions for current-gen systems, at least the last time i played it on Series X.

POE 2 is the future and a game that is gonna be supported for years to come, having such a potential fan favorite early in the life cycle is more worth to me than older ports of washed up franchises (no hate).

Personally i think it would be a great fit and Nintendo could give the projects more exposure than they got with POE1 on the other systems, especially with MS now owning ABK and Diablo 4, their might be even less interest to court them for a console release.

Nintendo made a Dark Souls Amiibo and gave it a good spot in a Direct. then the game got delayed for unknown reasons and a trilogy collection was announced for other systems. it was Mass Effect 3 / Mass Effect Collection all over again
More than that, Nintendo had the marketimg rights on DSR and also gave it a distribution deal in western markets. The way the Switch port got screwed in the delay and Bamco's treatment of it was legendary given all that.

More than that, Nintendo had the marketimg rights on DSR and also gave it a distribution deal in western markets. The way the Switch port got screwed in the delay and Bamco's treatment of it was legendary given all that.

Still sold over a million copies according to the last CESA white paper.

Red carpet or not Elden Ring would 100% be allowed a direct trailer and almost certainly be a successful port unless its a total botch job like Mortal Kombat 1 on Switch.

Still sold over a million copies according to the last CESA white paper.

Red carpet or not Elden Ring would 100% be allowed a direct trailer and almost certainly be a successful port unless its a total botch job like Mortal Kombat 1 on Switch.
Oh yeah, it sold well on the platform and was definitely one of the 2018 highlights. I just think after the treatment Nintendo got that there could be credence to the idea that they might not roll out the red carpet again, they didn't for DS2/3 despite those ports being heavily rumored too.

Though personally I think ER is a different ballgame and something Nintendo will go out of their way to secure coming to Switch NG.

I'm going with June, I know the general consensus has shifted towards the end of the year, but I still find it beneficial to have 2 big spikes on your calendar rather than one, dilating the sales upon launch helps to adress minor design flaws rolling up to the Holiday season, nobody cares if you have the biggest launch in gaming history if afterwards you end up with a RROD and have to take in a big chunk of returned faulty systems.

Nintendo made a Dark Souls Amiibo and gave it a good spot in a Direct. then the game got delayed for unknown reasons and a trilogy collection was announced for other systems.
Not a whole lot that Nintendo can control on that, but it does remind me of EA's.... questionable choices with the WiiU. That being said, Bandai
it was Mass Effect 3 / Mass Effect Collection all over again
Along other things
Though personally I think ER is a different ballgame and something Nintendo will go out of their way to secure coming to Switch NG.
I am not so sure. You are talking about Nintendo, the company can hold a grudge.... I am not either sure that Bandai has completely burned that bridge given the focused studio to the Nintendo platforms but I don't see them bending over backward for Elder Ring.
I'm going with June,
The thing in my mind that makes summer a little more likely is the death of E3. With E3 gone for good, that leaves a rather open space in the summer months and Geoff... his gamer fest is not really going to get in the way.

I'm going with June, I know the general consensus has shifted towards the end of the year, but I still find it beneficial to have 2 big spikes on your calendar rather than one, dilating the sales upon launch helps to adress minor design flaws rolling up to the Holiday season, nobody cares if you have the biggest launch in gaming history if afterwards you end up with a RROD and have to take in a big chunk of returned faulty systems.

I'd expect a announcement by early february then.

Perhaps they will push the Switch dirext up to mid january.

I don't think either of these will really resonate with the Switch audience as well as Skyrim even though I absolutely expect to see both of them. I'm hoping Ubisoft will have a stronger presence on the successor with all their flagship IP as there is no good reason why they shouldn't.
bruh what. these three games have the same audience.

Not a whole lot that Nintendo can control on that, but it does remind me of EA's.... questionable choices with the WiiU. That being said, Bandai

Along other things

I am not so sure. You are talking about Nintendo, the company can hold a grudge.... I am not either sure that Bandai has completely burned that bridge given the focused studio to the Nintendo platforms but I don't see them bending over backward for Elder Ring.

The thing in my mind that makes summer a little more likely is the death of E3. With E3 gone for good, that leaves a rather open space in the summer months and Geoff... his gamer fest is not really going to get in the way.
There's some beef between Nintendo and Bandai?

There is no chance Geoff's showcase would overshadow a new Nintendo console launching.

There is no chance Geoff's showcase would overshadow a new Nintendo console launching.
More to the point, Nintendo can just take up the spot for a showcase and Geoff will be forced to pound sand, no matter what he does. Their is little in the industry can can supersede that (Apple maybe....).

There's some beef between Nintendo and Bandai?
For now, I don't see it because Bandai is rather vast and has several properties that live in Nintendo's wheelhouse. I don't see Bandai walking away from the Switch install base. That said, short changing Nintendo on DS was not a good look for Bandai.

I don't think SGF interferes at all with a potential June release, if anything Nintendo might finally throw Geoff a bone and partecipate giving him the launch trailer for whatever launch game better suits a Geoff show. More to the point SGF covers the games releasing in the next 6 months or so, given we're expecting a very strong third party support, they can capitalize on that "X game is also coming to Switch 2!" or "We had a preview of Y on Switch 2, it looks identical to the other platforms!" (Y is obviously a AA/indie game) and so on.

I don't think SGF interferes at all with a potential June release, if anything Nintendo might finally throw Geoff a bone and partecipate giving him the launch trailer for whatever launch game better suits a Geoff show.
Before this year's game awards, I would have agreed with you. After... that.... I am not sure that it makes any sense to make the Summer Game Fest a part of the launch strategy. If it's just going to be the 'gamer's' party, I can't see the point. Nintendo looks beyond the lifestyle crowd as a demographic (they are a part of it but they are not the sole focus) and have been rather consistent about that.
Geoff has very little leverage in that dynamic and simply put, Nintendo will use his functions as they see fit. After the mini E3 attempt, I can't say that I see much use for Geoff if I were the c-suite at Nintendo. They would get more attention as CES than SGF.
"We had a preview of Y on Switch 2, it looks identical to the other platforms!" (Y is obviously a AA/indie game) and so on.
One thing to note about Nintendo's marketing that is consistent: They HATE comparisons. They tend to be the subject of them a lot and generally, they don't like inviting that scrutiny. So one thing that you will see them avoid like the plague is a... "pissing contest" that pits their product against, say, Mircosoft's or Sony, or the collective PC market. They have not done so and I think that will continue with a new platform

I just realized this whole thread is already obsolete AGAIN, lol. I guess if June goes by without any announcements, I'll make a (final?) vote-thread for Switch 2 launch date. Things stay exciting ...

No "2025" option?
Btw I voted

We do not want to will such evilness into existance.
Well, now we know who's the witch >_>

I just realized this whole thread is already obsolete AGAIN, lol. I guess if June goes by without any announcements, I'll make a (final?) vote-thread for Switch 2 launch date. Things stay exciting ...
Keep in mind that now that Jimbo announced the 160m milestone for PS2, Switch 2 is going to be delayed until 2026.

(to /s or not to /s...)

Back
Top Bottom