• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

(2024 Edition) The Nintendo Switch 2 will launch in ...

Which month of 2024 will Switch 2 launch in?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tokuiten

Enthusiast
Infected with 'Xenoblade'. 御免なさい🙇‍♀️
Seeing lots of discussion about the specific month the Switch-successor might launch in 2024, so since it's almost another year since the last "When will Switch 2 launch?"-poll, this is the 2024-edition of that. One important difference, though: Casting aside our worst tbone-esque "maaaybe it won't actually launch in 2024!!1" predictions, we're going to limit this thread to 2024 only, allowing us to vote for the specific month we predict the Switch 2 to launch in. Since there aren't 12 poll-options, it starts at March, which by all common sense should be enough. Anyone SERIOUSLY predicting a January or February launch just say so in the postings here (so we can lol at you!!1). The same goes for those of you who are deadset on Switch 2 launching in 2025 or even later, say so in a posting.

As for the rest: Happy voting! Vote will be open for 14 days and you can change your vote within that time. This, like all prediction threads, is for fun and provoking discussion, so don't overthink your vote. Though feel free to elaborate in a posting why you think a certain month makes the most sense and maybe add what months you don't think are likely. Let's ha-go!

PS: Previous Vote

I looked at the calendar and and I’m gonna pick October 4th simply because it’s the first Friday of Q4.

Might be a bit early to ask, but: Why nobody voting for December, while Sep-Nov are the favorites so far? Wii launched in December, it's not like it's not a possibilty, right?

I would love a June release, but it will probably be September. Any later than that and I think it would be detrimental.

September is I think the most sensible option to give the console a little runway before the holiday madness, but I could just as easily see Nintendo waiting until November, so... voting November I guess.
Might be a bit early to ask, but: Why nobody voting for December, while Sep-Nov are the favorites so far? Wii launched in December, it's not like it's not a possibilty, right?
Wii launched in North America in November. There's no chance they miss the November window if they're launching Q4.

20th of June, the longest day in the northern hemisphere.
Nintendo would get a good boost for that first fiscal quarter, they could partially satisfy the hardcore audience without overlapping with then more general consumers and sort partially their logistics and optimize production before the holiday season.
this would be my optimistic prediction.
As always this will depend on availability of games and I hope EPD has been cooking for the next console since before the pandemic.
I expect/hope for the fallowing games in the first 2,5 years:
new 3d Mario, a 2d Zelda, new Luigi mansion, new ring fit, new Mario kart, astral chain2, new 2d metroid and to conclude it the next animal crossing.

September, I cant see the console launching during H1. Seems to early to me given we havent seen anything of it yet.

I voted June, but the earliest I could see it releasing in is May. Either way they should get it out before holiday shopping to get two big boosts for the console's first year to drive momentum between its launch and the holiday shopping season. Having the two overlap would just be a waste.

I think there's one interesting question we haven't discussed yet: Assuming Switch 2 launches in 2024, what is the latest month for its official reveal in your opinon? Like, what is the limit after which we have to assume a 2025-launch? *shudders*

I don't see 2025 because that would put the project on an even longer schedule than Microsoft's proposed Series successor plan (and one of the longest development cycles since Atlantis)

I think there's one interesting question we haven't discussed yet: Assuming Switch 2 launches in 2024, what is the latest month for its official reveal in your opinon? Like, what is the limit after which we have to assume a 2025-launch? *shudders*
May/June. anything after that and it'd be a 2025 system

IMO, by the end of June, we'd have seen the system and games running on it. I'm thinking March is when they'll announce it proper and launch the device before the end of summer (so September at the latest). they'll skip the whole codename stuff because that's of no use now

U.S release date of major consoles since 1995:

Date format: DD/MM/YYYY
Saturn
11/05/1995​
Playstation
09/09/1995​
Nintendo 64
29/09/1996​
Dreamcast
09/09/1999​
Playstation 2
26/10/2000​
Game Boy Advance
11/06/2001​
Xbox
11/11/2001​
Gamecube
18/11/2001​
Nintendo DS
21/11/2004​
Playstation Portable
24/03/2005​
Xbox 360
22/11/2005​
Playstation 3
17/11/2006​
Wii
19/11/2006​
Nintendo 3DS
27/03/2011​
Playstation Vita
15/02/2012​
Wii U
18/11/2012​
Playstation 4
15/11/2013​
Xbox one
22/11/2013​
Nintendo Switch
03/03/2017​
Xbox Series X|S
10/11/2020​
Playstation 5
19/11/2020​

September would be the first September launch in the U.S since Dreamcast in 1999.

I go with early! September.
Early September launch and enough time to prep up some late November / Dezember holiday stock.

Nintendo generally has one game to coincide with the launch. Have no idea what that will be though.

During the Switch era, it seems like Nintendo liked to launch its new revisions in Late September/early October.

While a new console is different, I think that window works well. It is 1.5-2months before Pokémon while being relatively close to the Holidays.

It allows more breathing time for launch software than if everything was cluttered in November. Good for Nintendo and the early 3rd party support.

I am thinking September/October. Gives them time to continue working out kinks and preparing a solid hardware and software platform with ample supply.

Could even be later, really just depends on how Nintendo sees the current performance of the Switch and how much they want to transition. Right now, even with depressed sales they are still making lots of money with hardware and software still highly profitable for them.

Agreed May/June of atleast a tease or just a codename.

I don't see Nintendo going past the end of FY meeting (early may) without officially acknowledging the new hardware, the only exception being if it actually misses next fiscal year, but I really don't see it releasing after march 2025.

Game Boy Advance first code name.
Huh, I've never heard that name. I guess it makes sense with the GameCube being Dolphin...

Kinda ironic that despite these names, it was DS and Wii that targeted the blue ocean strategy (though I guess it also explains why so many of those games were water-based).

But yeah, I think the latest they announce this thing is June. Maybe in the February Direct they'll have a "we will have more updates on the Nintendo Switch family of consoles in the near future, stay tuned for more."

There's an additional wrinkle to consider as we also now have some idiots in the Switch scene burning an apparent gamecard exploit on the Lotus3 before the release of Switch 2. Nintendo will probably use this as a perfect moment to see what they are doing and fix it ahead of any release unless its some asinine glitching attack "in a cart" which would be a comical way to cash-out on the EOL of the Switch by selling an expensive brick-maker.

They do not want the Switch 2 to have the same lolnvidia issues as the original Switch.

Though until we have more info, I am unsure how permanent the new piracy tool will be (if its even more than a cashout scam, see above) because Lotus has been documented to be very secure/robust and can be patched, and Nintendo has several chains of trust on the Lotus that they can use. This would be the first time it has been compromised in 7 years with a blown open Switch for study, says how well they did with the hardware.

Flashcart is the last thing Nintendo wants to see on the market and the last thing they'd let work on a Switch 2.

There's an additional wrinkle to consider as we also now have some idiots in the Switch scene burning an apparent gamecard exploit on the Lotus3 before the release of Switch 2. Nintendo will probably use this as a perfect moment to see what they are doing and fix it ahead of any release unless its some asinine glitching attack "in a cart" which would be a comical way to cash-out on the EOL of the Switch by selling an expensive brick-maker.

They do not want the Switch 2 to have the same lolnvidia issues as the original Switch.

Though until we have more info, I am unsure how permanent the new piracy tool will be (if its even more than a cashout scam, see above) because Lotus has been documented to be very secure/robust and can be patched, and Nintendo has several chains of trust on the Lotus that they can use. This would be the first time it has been compromised in 7 years with a blown open Switch for study, says how well they did with the hardware.

Flashcart is the last thing Nintendo wants to see on the market and the last thing they'd let work on a Switch 2.
Apparently Nintendo already has solutions for this.

That said, flash cards are probably minimal on the problem scale thanks to emulation being so easy.

Apparently Nintendo already has solutions for this.

That said, flash cards are probably minimal on the problem scale thanks to emulation being so easy.

There are many solutions within Lotus but it depends on the attack vector.

But like I said, this is a down-the-road thing. They will no doubt reverse engineer the cart and see how applicable it is to other hardware and what mitigation they might have against it one way or the other.

Voted for September. Get launch sales and then a massive Fall/Holiday in November/December. Also, PlayStation 5 Pro will most likely launch in November 2024 and I think Nintendo would rather have their own month and have the hype and momentum going into November/December.

I also voted for September; that way, they can restock in time for the Holidays, and they could do it like this, published-wise.

September: 3D Mario/NewIP
October: Ridge Racer 8
November: Metroid Prime 4
December: Monolith title?

Outside of the obligatory "show off new hardware" first party game like 1-2 Switch, Nintendo Land etc., my only expectations for major first party Switch 2 software in 2024 are 3D Mario and Prime 4. Anything else I imagine they're gonna save for 2025.

I also voted for September; that way, they can restock in time for the Holidays, and they could do it like this, published-wise.

September: 3D Mario/NewIP
October: Ridge Racer 8
November: Metroid Prime 4
December: Monolith title?

Outside of the obligatory "show off new hardware" first party game like 1-2 Switch, Nintendo Land etc., my only expectations for major first party Switch 2 software in 2024 are 3D Mario and Prime 4. Anything else I imagine they're gonna save for 2025.
Are we forgetting Pokémon 🤔

Hoping for March which I voted for but realistically Sept seems more likely. I do believe though that they can make a March date happen with a big launch title and slowly build up the library with big games until the holiday. I liked how they handled that with the Switch. Zelda, Snipperclips, Mario Kart, Mario Oddesey, Skyrim, Doom and Xenoblade were pretty great first year titles that built up the momentum.

I would guess they (like most people) are expecting Pokemon to be a Switch exclusive.

Pokemon has a history of coming late. At best, the 2024 game is cross gen
Cross-gen games are still games. Pokémon will have an impact on Switch 2 launch window line-up one way or another.

We cannot dismiss it, even if the Switch 2 improvements are slim (remember Breath of the Wild ?).

Cross-gen games are still games. Pokémon will have an impact on Switch 2 launch window line-up one way or another.

We cannot dismiss it, even if the Switch 2 improvements are slim (remember Breath of the Wild ?).
I'm not dismissing it. Cross gen is a best case scenario, but even when Pokemon had an opportunity to be cross gen, they haven't taken it. I'm expecting the same here

September will give time for Nintendo to get a nice boost in sales and be able to adjust for the November / December holidays.

I'm not dismissing it. Cross gen is a best case scenario, but even when Pokemon had an opportunity to be cross gen, they haven't taken it. I'm expecting the same here
The frontier is thin between cross-gen and BC with how things scale these days. I don't even see what a non cross-gen Pokemon would entail.

The game will play best on Switch 2 either way, and Nintendo will make it clear that the game is playable there.

The frontier is thin between cross-gen and BC with how things scale these days. I don't even see what a non cross-gen Pokemon would entail.

The game will play best on Switch 2 either way, and Nintendo will make it clear that the game is playable there.
as far back as Game Freak is technically, there's still still possibility for more delineation between skus than most other games. but, as I said, I don't have that expectation in GF to put out a Drake build. hell, my expectations for an enhanced BC model from them is low, so I don't include it. otherwise, we might as well include any Switch release, and for the sake of Switch 2 discussion, I think it unnecessarily pads discussion

Such as? Being cross gen from DS to 3DS and from 3DS to Switch are completely different things than from Switch to Switch 2

Back
Top Bottom