• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

Washington Post: Final Fantasy 7 Remake-Trilogy will remain console-exclusive with Sony PlayStation consoles[UP: Only first two confirmed for now]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rebirth wasn't going to release on the Switch 2 due to technical limitations
Nothing about Rebirth looks beyond a PS4-level game, heck, FF15 looks better in certain areas. And we know not nearly enough about Switch 2 to make such absolute statements. DQ12 could be ported to Switch 1, why would a PS5-game not be portable to Switch 2?

Now it'd be really "funny" if DQ12 turned out to be non-Switch 2-exclusive.

Would you guys start believing in a nearing acquisition of SE's by Sony?

Do people expect DQ12 to be Switch 2 exclusive? Why?

Pretty sure it'll be multiplat + PC with how 11 did.

Nothing about Rebirth looks beyond a PS4-level game, heck, FF15 looks better in certain areas. And we know not nearly enough about Switch 2 to make such absolute statements. DQ12 could be ported to Switch 1, why would a PS5-game not be portable to Switch 2?
Yeah, you didnt play the game if you think it looks PS4-level

File size is, I think, a huge obstacle for a bunch of the Final Fantasy games on Switch 1/2. Arguably it already played a role in there not being a FF13 remaster this gen, but for Rebirth specifically being 150GB seems like a giant problem.

Yeah, you didnt play the game if you think it looks PS4-level

I think it it is easy to dismiss parts of areas as PS4 level, and a lot of NPCs that outright reuse modified models, but there's plenty of views and angles and going between detailed town to the open world without load times that are just consistently impressive.

Towns in PS4-era RPGs mostly sucked ass, and I think the NPC density and detail really proves the generational leap here.

Resident Evil 4 was originally part of the Capcom Five initiative for the Gamecube, but none of the Capcom devs went "RE4 Remake should be Switch console exclusive because the original was a defining game for the Nintendo experience." I know that's Svensson's words and not SE, but I feel like the point still stands.

Even if we're just talking about Square Enix, they have no problem porting Live A Live Remake to PlayStation platforms despite the original being a Super Famicom exclusive.

Yet third-party Japanese devs always seem to have a different standard when it comes to PlayStation exclusives. They're always reluctant to let PlayStation exclusives go to other platforms because they believe their games are synonymous with the PS brand. Look at how long it took for Persona to be multiplatform compared to SMT. Took decades for it to happen while the mainline SMT games were pretty much available everywhere within ten years except for SMTIV.

It could take more than a decade for any of the FFVII Remake Trilogy titles to make it to Nintendo platforms and I wouldn't even be surprised.

Now it'd be really "funny" if DQ12 turned out to be non-Switch 2-exclusive.
I joke with my friends by calling the Switch 2 reveal event the "Dragon Quest XII trailer."

If there's one game I see on the Switch 2, it's Dragon Quest XII.

There is nothing that would have made FF7R impossible had it been multiplatform. To make such claims is just ... no words.
This is a failure of games journalism IMO. Why jot ask the obvious follow up of. "Well you do multiple multi-platform projects and other devs do similar. Why is this case different in terms of these trade offs? Clearly you normally think this is worth the costs right?"

Rebirth is visually uneven, but its heights are positively PS5.

I'm curious to find out when the long term was agreed to, given changes to SE's leadership.

no. if anything, i think SE is even less valuable to SIE than ever
If Sony acquired Square it wouldn't be SIE's sole decision but Sony Music, Sony Pictures and SIE.

But again with how the global economy is going, big acquisitions like these will likely not happen or be enticing anymore for companies.

So any ideas of Sony acquiring a pub is more dead now then it has ever been.

Rebirth is visually uneven, but its heights are positively PS5.
Even if the latter is true, these heights are not so high that the game couldn't be ported to PS4-level hardware.
no. if anything, i think SE is even less valuable to SIE than ever
I dunno. These FF-deals stifle franchise (and thus, company) growth so hard, looking forward to getting acquired would explain this self-sabotaging behavior at least somewhat. The lost sw sales within Japan especially are just insane. FF7R1 as per our GDL didn't even break 1 mio LTD sales, the potential of putting these games on the dominating system (which by all means the Switch 2 will be) is so big, it baffles the mind that SE would decide against that. If there truly are no acquisition plans, it's just such a myopic business attitude, grabbing a bag full of money now instead of reaping much more money in the long term by selling vastly more games.

I'd assume there will be no Final Fantasy characters in next Smash Bros. Feels crazy to think Cloud won't be cut now as Sephiroth is a given. Nahobino is a much more deserving character than Cloud just saying.

Rebirth wasn't going to release on the Switch 2 due to technical limitations
there aren't any ways to tell this without benchmarking. one of the good things about PC releases is that we can find limits thanks to the variety of hardware configurations. we do have a good estimation on Drake's performance range, holistically. so determining if it's due to tech will be a matter of time once PC version is out

I can't say that I am shocked at this, to be honest I do wonder why this was announced now than sooner.
Broadly, I do have to question SE management by quite a bit. We'll shall see if their strategy to limit AA output for more AAA product works than dealing with their issues in scheduling and marketing, but I have my doubts on that.
But again with how the global economy is going, big acquisitions like these will likely not happen or be enticing anymore for companies.
There is no guarantee that these acquisitions will do anything. Other than just making companies top heavy and honestly I don't think that is a direction Sony should commit too. Budgie has yet to really deliver and is clearly in a support mode for Destiny. Mircosoft cleared a lot of desks at ActivisionBlizzard.... at let a lot of experience out the door in doing so.

Personally I was looking forward to play FFVII Remake on Switch 2 but alas it won't be real, not gonna buy a PS5 or start building a gaming PC for this.

Business speaking, while I could get SE's decision, I really can't fathom Sony's. How in the heck those sales pushed them to sign a deal of exclusivity? FFXVI didn't sell that well (or at least, less than expected) and for the looks of it FFVII Rebirth won't be this far ahead. How are they satisfied with that? Are they trying to "save face" in order to have at least some exclusives?

Yeah, it's pure PR speak. Making it multi-platform would have just taken more time, that's the only limitation here.

Weaker hardware would be a limitation of course. As Switch 2 is mentioned earlier, it will surely be very limited in power compared to current gen consoles. Looking at you ,Hogwarts Legacy ( one of the examples ) and how it runs on Switch.

this is powered of the SSD marketing kind of stuff.

SSDs this gen did its job decently actually.

I think just saying "Global economy" misses the real driving influences here. The Great Recession was instrumental in market consolidation, which led to a general increase in profit % compared to before the Great Recession. It is specifically interest rates that make these huge sorts of acquisitions difficult, which I don't think is a good way of framing the overall state of the economy.

The games industry and tech are their own trash fires, but the overall rate of layoffs for the economy in general is pretty normal.

Hardly surprising.

More curious about whats going on with FFIX remake and the platform/s for FFXVII.

Even if the latter is true, these heights are not so high that the game couldn't be ported to PS4-level hardware.

I think you should need to see technical analysis of PS5 version. PS4 version would be dumbster fire in performance even at 30 fps. And especially in loading times where on PS5 are very fast and game is damn huge by itself and by data to download( 150GB )

Being exclusive hasnt served SE well at all these last few years. I imagine theyre kicking themselves for losing so many PC sales too. If youre gonna be console exclusive at least do day 1 PC.

"I am clarifying the second point: it was a mistake on my part to write the sentence like that. The entire FFVII trilogy is NOT yet confirmed to be Sony exclusive. The article has been amended to only mention Remake and Rebirth."

Imagine if other consoles only get the last game of the trilogy lol. A release strategy for the ages.

Huge get for Playstation. 3 FF games, and all top quality maybe even GOTY level, console exclusive for likely a decade.

Resident Evil 4 was originally part of the Capcom Five initiative for the Gamecube, but none of the Capcom devs went "RE4 Remake should be Switch console exclusive because the original was a defining game for the Nintendo experience." I know that's Svensson's words and not SE, but I feel like the point still stands.

Svensson is Sony, why would you attribute his stance to SE. For Sony, they want a prior fan classic to be a system seller for their new console.

Business speaking, while I could get SE's decision, I really can't fathom Sony's. How in the heck those sales pushed them to sign a deal of exclusivity? FFXVI didn't sell that well (or at least, less than expected) and for the looks of it FFVII Rebirth won't be this far ahead. How are they satisfied with that? Are they trying to "save face" in order to have at least some exclusives?

FF7 Rebirth is a AAA open world RPG, with 90+ reception and likely going to be GOTY. That alone would likely make Sony want to sign it for exclusivity.

In terms of sales, 7-10M, is huge for a 3rd Party exclusive or even AAA game in general. Also ties one of the biggest JRPGs audiences to their console, helping them get other JRPG fanbases.

Huge get for Playstation. 3 FF games, and all top quality maybe even GOTY level, console exclusive for likely a decade.

Svensson is Sony, why would you attribute his stance to SE. For Sony, they want a prior fan classic to be a system seller for their new console.

FF7 Rebirth is a AAA open world RPG, with 90+ reception and likely going to be GOTY. That alone would likely make Sony want to sign it for exclusivity.

In terms of sales, 7-10M, is huge for a 3rd Party exclusive or even AAA game in general. Also ties one of the biggest JRPGs audiences to their console, helping them get other JRPG fanbases.

I love Rebirth, but it seems way too soon to be saying it’s a likely GOTY at The Game Awards (which I’m assuming this is referencing).

Being exclusive hasnt served SE well at all these last few years. I imagine theyre kicking themselves for losing so many PC sales too. If youre gonna be console exclusive at least do day 1 PC.

Imagine if other consoles only get the last game of the trilogy lol. A release strategy for the ages.
I feel like if any deal was made it was probably made during the development of the first game.

Maybe clauses about what targets need to be met but I assume since it was known that the games were going to be three that Sony and Square inked the deal way back for more then just remake to constantly maintain the funding/contract vs constantly making a new one per game.

Anyway back to secrecy it is.

That's something I already acknowledged and it's literally in the quote you made of my post. I feel the point stands because of other things I've mentioned: that third-party Japanese devs are reluctant to port PlayStation exclusives to other platforms compared to other platform exclusives, which shows that they do share Sony's view that their IPs are tied to the PlayStation brand to some extent.

There is nothing more to it.

That's something I already acknowledged and it's literally in the quote you made of my post. I feel the point stands because of other things I've mentioned: that third-party Japanese devs are reluctant to port PlayStation exclusives to other platforms compared to other platform exclusives, which shows that they do share Sony's view that their IPs are tied to the PlayStation brand to some extent.

There is nothing more to it.

Acknowledging doesn't make it make sense, its Sony's point of view not SE's.
SE's point of view is likely, we spend less money on dev, put games out faster and Sony helps us in marketing and platform cut for a platform where most our fans are on.

Its purely done by contracts not goodwill. If the two parties agree to the contract then its done.

Hard to understand SE's desire to tether itself to Sony so heavily. But fuck if I know what deal they signed. I can't make it make sense frankly.

Personally I was looking forward to play FFVII Remake on Switch 2 but alas it won't be real, not gonna buy a PS5 or start building a gaming PC for this.

Rebirth is looking set to win GOTY this year and it will be exclusive to PS5. Its huge get for Sony.

Launch week is looking similar to Remake sales wise but legs could be even better because of GOTY, better WOM and being open world with content similar to likes of Witcher 3. Its a huge game.

Obviously legs will also depend on if it releases on PS plus or not like Remake did.

Rebirth is looking set to win GOTY this year and it will be exclusive to PS5. Its huge get for Sony.

Launch week is looking similar to Remake sales wise but legs could be even better because of GOTY, better WOM and being open world with content similar to likes of Witcher 3. Its a huge game.

Obviously legs will also depend on if it releases on PS plus or not like Remake did.
From the limited data we’ve seen it looks less than remake but more than 16.

Weaker hardware would be a limitation of course. As Switch 2 is mentioned earlier, it will surely be very limited in power compared to current gen consoles. Looking at you ,Hogwarts Legacy ( one of the examples ) and how it runs on Switch.

I think you should need to see technical analysis of PS5 version. PS4 version would be dumbster fire in performance even at 30 fps. And especially in loading times where on PS5 are very fast and game is damn huge by itself and by data to download( 150GB )
You keep dismissing the Switch 2 like it's a known quantity. But even if we assume it's "only" as powerful as a PS4, how could anyone argue that a bog standard JRPG that often looks no different than FF15 couldn't be ported to such hardware? PS4-games could be ported to Switch 1, it's reasonable to assume that PS5-games can be ported to Switch 2. More easily, probably, thanks to DLSS and generally more streamlined technological progress. "Dumpster fire" is such a crass word of choice for what should be a perfectly fine port. Why even say "Switch 2 will be VERY limited in power compared to current gen consoles", when the gap between Switch 2 and PS5 will by all rumors and leaks be less than the gap between Switch 1 and PS4?

Really weird claims.

"I am clarifying the second point: it was a mistake on my part to write the sentence like that. The entire FFVII trilogy is NOT yet confirmed to be Sony exclusive. The article has been amended to only mention Remake and Rebirth."

Wow. So this guy made up the KEY information of an article published by the Washington Post? Terrible journalism.

Now it still doesn't mean the trilogy won't be PlayStation-exclusive, but we're back to guessing, I guess.

You keep dismissing the Switch 2 like it's a known quantity. But even if we assume it's "only" as powerful as a PS4, how could anyone argue that a bog standard JRPG that often looks no different than FF15 couldn't be ported to such hardware? PS4-games could be ported to Switch 1, it's reasonable to assume that PS5-games can be ported to Switch 2. More easily, probably, thanks to DLSS and generally more streamlined technological progress. "Dumpster fire" is such a crass word of choice for what should be a perfectly fine port. Why even say "Switch 2 will be VERY limited in power compared to current gen consoles", when the gap between Switch 2 and PS5 will by all rumors and leaks be less than the gap between Switch 1 and PS4?

Really weird claims.

I have not played Rebirth but in Remake they got around HDD speed by forcing players to go through certain areas as assests are loaded behind scenes. They likely cut that from Rebirth and made it seamless open world with no loading. So port to Switch 2 will not be straight forward as many assume.

Launch week isn't similar to remake.

it does make me wonder what SE game would show up to Drake reveal. since Final Fantasy, for all intents and purposes, is off the table, there's not many "big" SE games left. DQ12 is a given, KH is questionable given how they handled the series so far. after that, it's their non-AAA stuff that they said they are cutting down on.
Basically most of their AAA games are for PlayStation. Nintendo gets stuff like bravely default and octopath traveller.

Last edited:

Pretty big mistake on Gene's behalf, though it's not a difficult assumption/prediction to make.

Hard to understand SE's desire to tether itself to Sony so heavily. But fuck if I know what deal they signed. I can't make it make sense frankly.

Depending of how much Sony is paying can be a good deal for S-E.

On the Sony side I struggle to see why they spent money with full console exclusivity.

Putting my opinion in a separate posting:

This is super dumb. I have no idea what's going on within Square Enix. For Sony, that is a huge get, of course. But how can Square Enix do something insane like that? The FF7R-trilogy would have sold millions in Japan on a hypothetical Switch 2-release. Have to collect my thoughts on this, but right now this is one of those toxic, irrational "business decisions" on the level of Harada and Atlus that just sour this hobby for me.

Why would that make you enjoy this hobby any less? Why would you enjoy playing games less just because they would sell less? If you are worrying SE not making FF7 games anymore, don't be. They are selling well enough. If you are worrying about SE's financial situation, don't be either. They are doing just fine. If you are worrying about the game's performance, don't be. PS5 is likely to be powerful than the Switch 2. So just enjoy your PS5 games, I guess?

What is even Switch 2 specs and when is it exactly coming out and what is even its userbase in 2025? SE has shareholders like me to answer to and you think I would be happy to hear SE talking about Switch 2 already? Not at all. Switch 2 is unproven right now as far as I'm concerned, because we know nothing about it. I would like SE to release/port more games to the Switch 1 and PC, if anything.

I don't mean to sound so pessimistic here, but I'd be surprised if Rebirth's legs are that great despite the critical reception; this is a genre so frontloaded that it makes the average-performing superhero flick look like it's got strong legs. I'm expecting something far closer to the sorts of second-week drops we've seen from this series in recent years.

Pretty big fuck up, specially since that's the major hook of the article.

At this point I wouldn't even bet on Remake and Rebirth being fully console exclusive either. It can and probably will be ported to Switch 2 if technically feasible. Xbox most likely not, unless Microsoft offers big bucks for a gamepass release, as there would be no point otherwise.

I am not too concerned about this turn of events (console exclusivity for both Remake and Rebirth on PS). S-E will continue to live on and both Sony and Nintendo will go on having success with their respective librairies.

It is a bit of a shame though. As said before, Japan would have liked to have the games on the Switch.

Pretty big fuck up, specially since that's the major hook of the article.

At this point I wouldn't even bet on Remake and Rebirth being fully console exclusive either. It can and probably will be ported to Switch 2 if technically feasible. Xbox most likely not, unless Microsoft offers big bucks for a gamepass release, as there would be no point otherwise.

And it also changes the inferred timeliness of these deals. The way it was originally written makes it sound like it was a decade long deal signed in 2015 or whatever, but the edit makes it seem like it is all piecemeal deals over a short time. Rebirth likely didn't have a deal inked until last year or something based on it not appearing in a Sony event until last summer.

Why would that make you enjoy this hobby any less?
Because every game should release on every platform it can run on and makes the slightest economical sense. When a game doesn't release on all platforms, it better be well explained. And in the case of Bandai Namco/Harada, Atlus and now Square Enix, that is not the case. Here we have to assume that irrational reasoning is at work (myopic market view, old grudges, other bias) and that causing millions of people to lose the opportunity to play a game, is incredibly frustrating. Add the fact that I am interested in observing the sales evolution of this industry and it just ruins so much.

That's why companies who make such decision make this hobby less fun for me. At no point did I force you to agree with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom