• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

Washington Post: Final Fantasy 7 Remake-Trilogy will remain console-exclusive with Sony PlayStation consoles[UP: Only first two confirmed for now]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tokuiten

Enthusiast
Infected with 'Xenoblade'. 御免なさい🙇‍♀️
(Screenshot and excerpt taken from the Resetera-thread, since article is behind paywall)

Thought this deserves its own thread:

image0.png

Securing the "Final Fantasy VII" trilogy as a console exclusive is a feather in the PlayStation cap. It's part of recognizing the original game's importance as a defining game for the PlayStation experience, said Christian Svensson, vice president of second- and third-party content ventures and strategic initiatives at Sony Interactive Entertainment.

Putting my opinion in a separate posting:

This is super dumb. I have no idea what's going on within Square Enix. For Sony, that is a huge get, of course. But how can Square Enix do something insane like that? The FF7R-trilogy would have sold millions in Japan on a hypothetical Switch 2-release. Have to collect my thoughts on this, but right now this is one of those toxic, irrational "business decisions" on the level of Harada and Atlus that just sour this hobby for me.

10M with Switch 2 port(technical showcase), here we come /s

Damn that's crazy. Yeah each entry will likely sell less and less. Final Fantasy is so mismanaged that it's utterly insane to think about.

Also we can now basically say that Persona 6 >> Final Fantasy 16/7R in sales most likely. Just utterly dumbfounding.

well if the check makes it worth it. question is, will Sony continue this with Final Fantasy, period?

I dont think this says nothing about PC ports day 1, no?

Chances that Party 3 releases with a PC port day 1, i think

I'm not even surprised if FF XVI was also part of the deal that was signed with PlayStation.

I thought it was basically already known (good to see official confirmation), lookin at how FFVII remake never showed up on Xbox (neither One nor Series), despite MS paying also for late RPG coming to GamePass

To be honest, I always thought that the exclusivity contract involved all 3 games.

I was even surprised when I saw that Rebirth's exclusivity period was shorter than Remake's.

it does make me wonder what SE game would show up to Drake reveal. since Final Fantasy, for all intents and purposes, is off the table, there's not many "big" SE games left. DQ12 is a given, KH is questionable given how they handled the series so far. after that, it's their non-AAA stuff that they said they are cutting down on.

Kinda wild to limit yourself in this way, with your biggest projects.
Gonna pick these games up for cheap on PC once the trilogy is done. I can wait.

I thought it was basically already known (good to see official confirmation), lookin at how FFVII remake never showed up on Xbox (neither One nor Series), despite MS paying also for late RPG coming to GamePass
You knew that FF7R would never be ported to Switch 2? From how I read here on IB for years, most people absolutely expected that port to happen. I think there were even rumors about it running on Switch 2 already?

Either way, paying 3rd-parties to make an otherwise multiplatform game exclusive is the most toxix form of exclusives. Really shouldn't happen anymore. I feel bad for the people that were looking forward to these games on other platform.

Decisions like this should really be remembered when the next SE-game underperforms.

Damn that's crazy. Yeah each entry will likely sell less and less. Final Fantasy is so mismanaged that it's utterly insane to think about.

Also we can now basically say that Persona 6 >> Final Fantasy 16/7R in sales most likely. Just utterly dumbfounding.
They did the opposite of Capcom in this generation.
Capcom embraced a multiplatform strategy and succeeded in growing their franchise ceilings.

When all 3 games are out, Square Enix can make an abridged version so people won't have to play 3 eighty hour games. FF7R Pocket Edition at the end of Switch 2's life cycle.

Unlike most people online I personally am fine with exclusives, but I really don't understand why SE is adamant about some of their games being exclusive when Sony themselves are now releasing games on PC (even simultaneously) - not talking about just FF, but stuff like Foamstars, Forspoken, Babylon's Fall, Chocobo Racing, etc.

it does make me wonder what SE game would show up to Drake reveal. since Final Fantasy, for all intents and purposes, is off the table, there's not many "big" SE games left. DQ12 is a given, KH is questionable given how they handled the series so far. after that, it's their non-AAA stuff that they said they are cutting down on.
I'm guessing some new IP, for Switch they had Octopath and for 3DS they had Bravely. I think if any of their big 3 flagships show up it's going to be because Nintendo is footing the bill and will help push them (à la Monster Hunter during 3DS era, even if not exclusive)

You knew that FF7R would never be ported to Switch 2? From how I read here on IB for years, most people absolutely expected that port to happen. I think there were even rumors about it running on Switch 2 already?

Either way, paying 3rd-parties to make an otherwise multiplatform game exclusive is the most toxix form of exclusives. Really shouldn't happen anymore. I feel bad for the people that were looking forward to these games on other platform.

Decisions like this should really be remembered when the next SE-game underperforms.

Oh well, I'm basically not expecting mainline (FFVII is mainline, right?) FF to arrive on a Nintendo console lol
Yes, we were exploring the possibility in other topics, but seeing how Sony secured it "aganist" its main competitor in terms of AA(A?) Japanese projects (aka Microsoft) I was leaning toward it NOT being available on Switch

in terms of policy: I firmly believe that for a third party putting such an identifying icon of their own internal portfolio behind an hardware company "paywall" isn't wise in the mid-long term, despite the (possibly huge) deal agreed upon

This is super dumb. I have no idea what's going on within Square Enix. For Sony, that is a huge get, of course. But how can Square Enix do something insane like that? The FF7R-trilogy would have sold millions in Japan on a hypothetical Switch 2-release. Have to collect my thoughts on this, but right now this is one of those toxic, irrational "business decisions" on the level of Harada and Atlus that just sour this hobby for me.
Keep in mind that FF7R talks started in PS4 era. I probably the original sales expectations were like 10m+ or something. But dev time increased, PC market grew extremely fast and realization dawned that console market does not grow anymore.

This was the most Square Enix decision.

With Day 1 PC, Xbox, PS and potentially the next Switch it should be possible for sure. Especially with Switch.

They did the opposite of Capcom in this generation.
Capcom embraced a multiplatform strategy and succeeded in growing their franchise ceilings.
Well, Capcom bet on PC. And now they are even porting the games to Mac.

in terms of policy: I firmly believe that for a third party putting such an identifying icon of their own internal portfolio behind an hardware company "paywall" isn't wise in the mid-long term, despite the (possibly huge) deal agreed upon
I don't think it was THAT expensive - I think they took FF15 sales, trend with Xbox and thus Sony mainly paid to exclude PC and even then not permanently.

Last edited:
Sony must have given Square a pretty big bag of cash for this type of deal, or at least you hope, because it doesn’t seem to make too much sense otherwise.

If even visions of Mana wasn't designed for Switch in mind, we can pretty much assume that only DQ and team Asano really support Nintendo systems. Xbox is up in air and PC depends. With all the failures SE have had over the last couple years, it's going to be a tough next 5 years for them. Hopefully, they'll eventually realise their mistake but it's their business.

Scarily for SE, I believe most of these deals were done in 2020 and before which means they didn't foreshadow the catastrophe of PS5 software sales in Japan and also the hugely underwhelming PS5 sales in Europe and Asia. They were incompetent to believe the status quo of 2015-2019 would continue for Playstation and it completely changed.

Now it'd be really "funny" if DQ12 turned out to be non-Switch 2-exclusive.

Would you guys start believing in a nearing acquisition of SE's by Sony?

Scarily for SE, I believe most of these deals were done in 2020 and before which means they didn't foreshadow the catastrophe of PS5 software sales in Japan and also the hugely underwhelming PS5 sales in Europe and Asia. They were incompetent to believe the status quo of 2015-2019 would continue for Playstation and it completely changed.
100%. I do believe too that 2015-2019 is what Square Enix was expected.

No. Sony does not get anything from Square Enix that would allow it to improve their margins and justify 7-8b price tag. Not to mention 7-8b price tag is huge for Sony in the first place. Mobile, GaaS etc. initiatives of Square Enix are not doing that great either as everything flopped aside FF14. Only FF14 is kinda a moneymaker with potential for growth. Sony literally gets everything from Square Enix by paying peanuts as SE is basically the second party for them in all but name.

Keep in mind that FF7R talks started in PS4 era. I probably the original sales expectations were like 10m+ or something. But dev time increased, PC market grew extremely fast and realization dawned that console market does not grow anymore.

This was the most Square Enix decision.

With Day 1 PC, Xbox, PS and potentially the next Switch it should be possible for sure. Especially with Switch.

Well, Capcom bet on PC. And now they are even porting the games to Mac.

I don't think it was THAT expensive - I think they took FF15 sales, trend with Xbox and thus Sony mainly paid to exclude PC and even then not permanently.

could be - but if they are keeping it away from the Switch 2 (talking about FFVII remake, assuming it is technically feasibale) they surely are paying way more
we are talking about the (probably) linear successor to the best console ever in Japan, with HUGE install base also elsewhere, with record-breaking numbers for software and a lineup leaning heavily toward (also) Jrpgs

and if SE accepted low amount of money to keep it away from MS console "and eventually other consoles" without taking ito account possible success of Nintendo consoles...shame on them lol: I hope they received TONS of money for FFVII

But y'all, the original game was important as a defining game of the PlayStation era. Don't you see?

I'm not surprised, but boy, does that clip this trilogy's wing. Switcheroo would have been the way to go here.

could be - but if they are keeping it away from the Switch 2 (talking about FFVII remake, assuming it is technically feasibale) they surely are paying way more
we are talking about the (probably) linear successor to the best console ever in Japan, with HUGE install base also elsewhere, with record-breaking numbers for software and a lineup leaning heavily toward (also) Jrpgs
The problem is that - just like Kmds mentioned - the projection was that PS5 sales attachment rate would stay the same as with PS4. We see that PS5 is doing a little bit better than PS4 in Japan, yet software sales do not match with that. And looking at PS sales, they are not really affected by exclusives in the first place - PS sells well with or without games anyway.

But didn't the trailers say the that the individual games are only exclusive for a year or so? Or is only for any PC ports and not for non-Sony consoles?

But didn't the trailers say the that the individual games are only exclusive for a year or so? Or is only for any PC ports and not for non-Sony consoles?

many already imagined it was referred simply to the possible late PC port and these words cement that idea, I suppose?

After 20 years they finally made a FF game on par with any other RPG out there and they limit its reach to a fraction of potential players, it’s such a shame.

This had a chance to be their big ceiling raising game like MHW/BOTW and they threw it away for a safety blanket in the form of a check.

After 20 years they finally made a FF game on par with any other RPG out there and they limit its reach to a fraction of potential players, it’s such a shame.

This had a chance to be their big ceiling raising game like MHW/BOTW and they threw it away for a safety blanket in the form of a check.
But BOTW its an exclusive game too lol

I also think FF9R was probably bought out by Sony at this point. That will hurt SE a lot.
This was already dumb, but making a potential FF9 remake also exclusive would be a special kind of dumb.

The FF franchise would never reach its full sales potential as Elden Ring and Monster Hunter World with their console exclusive strategy. It's a shame they almost got everything right to get bigger with Rebirth but fumbled at the end and might end up selling worse than Remake.

Interesting. You'd think with they would want to reach as many hands as possible but I'm sure Sony paid them well. We'll see how that plays out in sales.

This was the most Square Enix decision

Switch 2 wont nearly be powerful as even XSS.

FF7 producer Yoshinori Kitase tells me Rebirth’s seamless open world is possible only because of development focused on a single platform. “Had it not been on a single platform, the world map would not be seamless, and game design may have had to regress significantly.”

and might end up selling worse than Remake.

Maybe I'm off-base here, but I'd think it would be quite the upset indeed for Rebirth to sell more copies than Remake - I haven't thought of it with the words "might end up" at any point!

I also think FF9R was probably bought out by Sony at this point. That will hurt SE a lot.
While I wasn't surprised about the exclusivity of the trilogy, I would be shocked by the exclusivity of FFIX.

In fact, I even imagine the announcement happening at a Nintendo Direct.

Weird considering that Square Enix itself said that PS5 installed base was limiting software sales, referring to FFXVI launch.

FFXVI didn’t get an update after the 3m milestone but given its charting after launch I’d be surprised if it’s above 4m at this point.

Weird considering that Square Enix itself said that PS5 installed base was limiting software sales, referring to FFXVI launch.
Perhaps this exclusivity was signed by the previous management/president, so the current management will just comply with what was signed.
Post automatically merged:

this is powered of the SSD marketing kind of stuff.

There are plenty of multiplatform open word games, it might have taken more time or been harder.
I love Gene, but he should have put that in the first tweet

Saw that bs statement earlier. What an insane take. SE really is going full-Harada here. There is nothing that would have made FF7R impossible had it been multiplatform. To make such claims is just ... no words.

Perhaps this exclusivity was signed by the previous management/president, so the current management will just comply with what was signed.
Post automatically merged:

I love Gene, but he should have put that in the first tweet

Rebirth having only 4 years of development time (or less depending on how the DLC was counted) is crazy. We're used to seeing ~5, 6, or 7 years between entries in major franchises like this.

I think that it was a do-or-die get it out by the end of the Fiscal Year though, and there's a clear hit to optimization and polish that might plausibly get fixed in the PC release. Slow, repeated animations and camera angles make for a ton of really awkward moments.

Rebirth wasn't going to release on the Switch 2 due to technical limitations but I guess Remake won't be ported there too until the trilogy is complete.

Unless this statement means each game individually. On which case maybe Remake may still release there if it is "timed".

If it isn't timed and is just a console exclusive then it probably only means PC and PS for FF7's main remake games.

Saw that bs statement earlier. What an insane take. SE really is going full-Harada here. There is nothing that would have made FF7R impossible had it been multiplatform. To make such claims is just ... no words.
Yeah, it's pure PR speak. Making it multi-platform would have just taken more time, that's the only limitation here.

Now it'd be really "funny" if DQ12 turned out to be non-Switch 2-exclusive.

No.

Sony isn’t dumb enough to make their games exclusive to ps5

/j

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom