• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

Xbox Next Multiplatform Titles: Hi-Fi Rush PS5 March 19, Pentiment Switch/PS5/4 February 22 and Grounded April 16, Sea of Thieves PS5 April 30

Welfare

Staff
Scholar Archivist Staff
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Pentiment from Obsidian Entertainment, a truly unique, critically acclaimed, and award-winning narrative adventure game with a striking visual style inspired by history itself will be coming to PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5 and Nintendo Switch on February 22.

Hi-Fi RUSH, the award-winning and beloved rhythm-based action game where the world syncs to the music from Tango Gameworks/Bethesda Softworks will be coming to PlayStation 5 on March 19 at midnight UTC, with pre-purchase available on PlayStation 5 digital storefronts on February 22.

Grounded – also from Obsidian Entertainment – a co-op survival adventure phenomenon that has welcomed 20 million players into the backyard, will be coming to PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5 and Nintendo Switch on April 16. Cross play will be supported across Xbox, PlayStation, Nintendo Switch and PC.

Sea of Thieves, the shared world adventure game from Rare, will be coming to PlayStation 5 on April 30 – and will be available to wishlist by PlayStation 5 players starting tomorrow, February 22. Having built a passionate community of more than 35 million players from around the world, the support of cross play for Xbox, PlayStation and PC will allow players to experience epic pirate adventures with friends on more platforms.

Last edited:
Hi-Fi Rush Switch was the only game of these four that had any path to financial success, but it makes sense that the game just couldn't run on Switch. Not sure it will be successful if they have to wait until the Switch 2.

Surprised Grounded is on Switch, out of the four I figured that was the least likely.

Rare also had a big game dump on NSO today. I expect that'll keep going in the future.

They should port all four games to everything. Hopefully, Pentiment and Grounded are eventually announced for PS5 and Hi-Fi Rush for the Switch successor.

Hi-Fi Rush on PS5

Grounded and Pentiment on Switch

split the releases is a little bit confusing
even IF Hi-Fi rush isn't coming for technical reasons (..!) I wonder why Pentiment and Grounded are Switch-bound only

even IF Hi-Fi rush isn't coming for technical reasons (..!) I wonder why Pentiment and Grounded are Switch-bound only

Probably so no one can say, "you can't play all Xbox 1st party on such and such system".

Last edited:
Probably so no one can say, "you can play all Xbox 1st party on such and such system".

think-smart-meme.gif

smart managers are smart

Maybe the team size for porting and it was decided that those two games would find more success on Switch than PS5 at first.

I'm not gonna lie, this is pretty weird.

I guess it benefits Microsoft since you can say you can play all these games on Microsoft platforms but I wonder if they're doing a staggered release strategy here throughout the years here.

Sure Hi-Fi Rush not hitting Switch can be chalked up to technical issues, but at the same time Grounded is hitting Switch but not PS4 or PS5, and there is that Hi-Fi Rush datamine which suggests that a Switch or Switch 2 release is down the corner... hell, Insider Gaming suggests this in their article now.

Also, it's actually kinda hilarious that after Phil tries his hardest to not name the 4 games in his business update despite all of us knowing... Hi-Fi Rush's PS5 port gets accidentally leaked by Bethesda LatAM. RIP. xD

Official PR:

At Xbox, we strive to create games that inspire, entertain, and connect players from around the world. As a publisher and platform we are committed to meeting players where they are, by bringing more games, to more people, and on more devices. And at the heart of all we do are our players, and the vibrant communities that they build around the games they love.

Today we are announcing that four fan-favorite Xbox games will be coming to Nintendo Switch and Sony platforms this spring. The studios that built these celebrated games have drawn on their multi-platform experience to open the worlds they created to even more players and communities.

• Pentiment from Obsidian Entertainment, a truly unique, critically acclaimed, and award-winning narrative adventure game with a striking visual style inspired by history itself will be coming to PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5 and Nintendo Switch on February 22.
  • Hi-Fi RUSH, the award-winning and beloved rhythm-based action game where the world syncs to the music from Tango Gameworks/Bethesda Softworks will be coming to PlayStation 5 on March 19 at midnight UTC, with pre-purchase available on PlayStation 5 digital storefronts on February 21.
  • Grounded – also from Obsidian Entertainment – a co-op survival adventure phenomenon that has welcomed 20 million players into the backyard, will be coming to PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5 and Nintendo Switch on April 16. Cross play will be supported across Xbox, PlayStation, Nintendo Switch and PC.
  • Sea of Thieves, the shared world adventure game from Rare, will be coming to PlayStation 5 on April 30 – and will be available to wishlist by PlayStation 5 players starting tomorrow, February 22. Having built a passionate community of more than 35 million players from around the world, the support of cross play for Xbox, PlayStation and PC will allow players to experience epic pirate adventures with friends on more platforms.
These titles join franchises like Minecraft, Call of Duty, Overwatch and Diablo – which already reach players and fans on multiple platforms – and we’re excited for more players to experience these worlds and stories on more platforms.

Whether it’s Nintendo Switch and PlayStation players surviving in the backyard together in Grounded, or PlayStation players getting to live a pirate’s life in Sea of Thieves, with cross-play, these multiplayer titles available will bring more people together and continue to grow their communities of players.

Updated release schedule
  • Pentiment - PS4/PS5/Switch - Feb 22
  • Hi-Fi Rush - PS5 - March 19
  • Grounded - PS4/PS5/Switch (Cross-Play) - April 16
  • Sea of Thieves - PS5 (Cross-Play) - April 30

Step into an illustrated world where Europe is at a crossroads of great religious and political change...Limited Run is proud to announce that the physical edition of Pentiment will be available to pre-order tomorrow on Xbox, Switch & PS5. Wishlist now: https://bit.ly/3SLyrLe

It’s currently unclear if Hi-Fi Rush will be making its way to the Switch or not either, but sources have suggested that the game will be coming to the Nintendo Switch 2, rather than the original Switch, so it could be a few more months before an official announcement.

Sea of Thieves coming to only PS5 (not PS4 or Switch) April 30th.

all these make a lot of sense. it will be interesting if sea of thieves, which was already pretty successful, can reach a critical mass now.

I just hope PS5 has enough power to run these ports. Kidding, KIDDING. Series S made that a non-issue.

This initiative probably kills the need for a Rare Replay port. Expect Nintendo will license about everything they can eventually, maybe Sega will too.

Official PR:

Alright, so we have our 4 Xbox games - they're the ones everyone predicted and the only reason Phil didnt announce them is because Grounded and Pentiment were in the Partner Showcase.

Grounded and Pentiment are coming to Switch and PS4, but not Sea of Thieves and Hi-Fi Rush. This I find interesting because not only does the Hi-Fi Rush datamine have a shirt hinting at the game coming to Nintendo platforms, but Sea of Thieves is also on Xbox One yet the PS4 isn't getting a port - just the PS5. To me it seems as if Microsoft wants to position these two games as more current-gen games, which gives me reason to believe that they're coming to Switch 2.

Limited Run is handling the Pentiment and Hi-Fi Rush physical releases, which are pretty rad. I presume that the Hi-Fi Rush physical release will have preorders start when the game launches in PS5 in March. If that doesn't happen, though, then that'll be pretty interesting in itself.

This initiative probably kills the need for a Rare Replay port. Expect Nintendo will license about everything they can eventually, maybe Sega will too.

It was generally impractical to expect a Rare Replay port. A large portion of the games relied on Xbox Backwards Compatibility. I could see a collection for some of the stuff outside of NSO platforms like Viva Pinata plus their Spectrum games

It was generally impractical to expect a Rare Replay port. A large portion of the games relied on Xbox Backwards Compatibility. I could see a collection for some of the stuff outside of NSO platforms like Viva Pinata plus their Spectrum games
I was kinda hoping for a Nintendo collab version with SFA.

They must have had these ports in dev for like 6 months prior to be able to come out so soon. Really shows that the internal strife and decision has been happening for a year or so and thats when decisions were made.

By such a timeline, Indiana Jones or Starfield, both rumoured, may see an announcment later this year for early next year ports?

They must have had these ports in dev for like 6 months prior to be able to come out so soon. Really shows that the internal strife and decision has been happening for a year or so and thats when decisions were made.

By such a timeline, Indiana Jones or Starfield, both rumoured, may see an announcment later this year for early next year ports?
It shows Nadella was actually giving us a peek behind the curtain during his ABK testimony last summer. Microsoft is a services and software company and they want to be everywhere, Xbox is slowly falling in line with that.

I think Microsoft's PS/Switch rollout will resemble Sony's PC rollout, at least in these first few years. Starfield early next year probably or maybe even this holiday.

According to XboxEra, a PS5 port of Starfield was only going to happen after the Shatter Space DLC. I don't see that DLC coming out any sooner than Starfield's first anniversary. So I always personally speculated that if a port does happen, it would be next year.

I also find the internal strife story shaky since as you noted, this has been in the works for at least 6 months. So why did the dame only bust when these four games were months from release?

I can't see how they would make Hi-Fi Rush 60fps on Switch... And that specific game would be nearly unplayable on anything under that. Hell, I have a hard time believing they would even be able to maintain a stable 30fps on Switch.

Having in mind that the game isn't even available on the Xbox One, I can see it coming to next-gen Nintendo... But not Switch. Also, I doubt it'll come anywhere near a PlayStation console.

I called it that they wouldn't be able to make it work on switch, but at the time I also doubted it would even come to PlayStation at all.

With the shirt that was datamine and some of the early rumors. Hi-Fi Rush was likely planned to Switch at one point, but was scrapped due to not meeting their standards and with the Switch 2 on the horizon, might as well plan for that instead.

Wonder how often that has happened within the last year or so with a number of Switch 1 ports getting scrapped in favor of just waiting on the Switch 2 instead? Probably should happen to some ports like Mortal Kombat 1.

With the shirt that was datamine and some of the early rumors. Hi-Fi Rush was likely planned to Switch at one point, but was scrapped due to not meeting their standards and with the Switch 2 on the horizon, might as well plan for that instead.

Wonder how often that has happened within the last year or so with a number of Switch 1 ports getting scrapped in favor of just waiting on the Switch 2 instead? Probably should happen to some ports like Mortal Kombat 1.

And also stuff like Persona 3 Reload and Visions of Mana.

I'll take it if Midnight Suns can get another chance to sell if the porting is less costly for the publisher, despite not meeting the original sales expectations.

I’m sure a game that is less technically advanced than SMTV can only be ran on a Switch successor.

You know that's not true. Geometry, texture quality, rendering techniques and lighting on P3R are all miles ahead of SMTV

Also, let's be honest here, even SMT V itself barely ran on the Switch... And that game was entirely developed with just the Switch in mind. A multiplatform title like this would take quite a bit more of optimization to make it run on the switch on an acceptable state and they simply deemed it not worth it when the Switch 2 was on the horizon (until Nintendo seemingly delayed it.)

You know that's not true. Geometry, texture quality, rendering techniques and lighting on P3R are all miles ahead of SMTV

Also, let's be honest here, even SMT V itself barely ran on the Switch... And that game was entirely developed with just the Switch in mind. A multiplatform title like this would take quite a bit more of optimization to make it run on the switch on an acceptable state and they simply deemed it not worth it when the Switch 2 was on the horizon (until Nintendo seemingly delayed it.)

Nah, SMTV is more advanced than PS3 Remastered. And the whole thing falls apart more when you remember Soul Hackers 2 never got release on the Switch.

Last edited:

SMTV runs fine (locked 30fps) with a homebrew hack to the dynamic scaler. "Barely ran" is an extreme exaggeration though, that's like saying Soul Hackers 2 barely ran on Xbox with it's similar framepacing judder.

The only area P3R is well above SMTV really are small instances of RT reflections in some of the versions (PC, PS5, XSX). Geometry certainly isn't miles ahead, they use the same demon models in most cases even and environments are more complex in SMTV. Rendering is dead simple in P3R too generally though that's the aesthetic choice. Honestly SMTV overall still looks like Atlus' most technically accomplished HD game and it'll be nice to see that more generally recognized now that it's multiplatform.

We'll probably be waiting on P6 to truly better it.

Last edited:
SMTV runs fine (locked 30fps) with a homebrew hack to the dynamic scaler. "Barely ran" is an extreme exaggeration though, that's like saying Soul Hackers 2 barely ran on Xbox with it's similar framepacing judder.

The only area P3R is well above SMTV really are small instances of RT reflections in some of the versions (PC, PS5, XSX). Geometry certainly isn't miles ahead, they use the same demon models in most cases even and environments are more complex in SMTV. Rendering is dead simple in P3R too generally though that's the aesthetic choice. Honestly SMTV overall still looks like Atlus' most technically accomplished HD game and it'll be nice to see that more generally recognized now that it's multiplatform.

We'll probably be waiting on P6 to truly better it.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree here, as all I remember from SMT V are the low poly cars and rocks and the very blurry textures everywhere. Also, the environments were generally very sparse overall.

Also, the models being the same is just a case of there being a lot just like pokemon... Yet we aren't here saying Pokemon X is more technically advanced than the Switch games .

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree here, as all I remember from SMT V are the low poly cars and rocks and the very blurry textures everywhere. Also, the environments were generally very sparse overall.

Also, the models being the same is just a case of there being a lot just like pokemon... Yet we aren't here saying Pokemon X is more technically advanced than the Switch games .
HD Pokémon doesn't use the same base 3DS assets, this is a weird comparison. It'd be more like comparing Sword/Shield to Legends to Violet/Scarlet. If they'd just used all the 3DS models we wouldn't have had the Dexit mess.

HD Megatens share a lot of the demon assets (though sometimes demons are redone) and SMTV itself had a ton from P5/TMS. SMTV's environments are the widest scale, and most interactive, in the entire Megaten line though. P3R is loaded with basic structures and small environments too, it's complexity is a step back from P5 honestly.

HD Pokémon doesn't use the same base 3DS assets, this is a weird comparison. It'd be more like comparing Sword/Shield to Legends to Violet/Scarlet. If they'd just used all the 3DS models we wouldn't have had the Dexit mess.

HD Megatens share a lot of the demon assets (though sometimes demons are redone) and SMTV itself had a ton from P5/TMS. SMTV's environments are the widest scale, and most interactive, in the entire Megaten line though. P3R is loaded with basic structures and small environments too, it's complexity is a step back from P5 honestly.

That's very hard to believe when you compare the models from X/Y, Pokedex 3d and the switch games. It was obviously reshaded and had the textured updated, but the model is identical.

So not splitting up, but some games aren't getting Switch releases. Odd they could port Grounded, but SOT was too much.
Sea of Thieves is actually a pretty demanding game. It runs at like 15 FPS on Xbox One.
Post automatically merged:

all these make a lot of sense. it will be interesting if sea of thieves, which was already pretty successful, can reach a critical mass now.

I just hope PS5 has enough power to run these ports. Kidding, KIDDING. Series S made that a non-issue.
All these except for Hi-Fi Rush are Xbox One games so the Series S is a non-factor.

That's very hard to believe when you compare the models from X/Y, Pokedex 3d and the switch games. It was obviously reshaded and had the textured updated, but the model is identical.
Geometry isn't identical though, models were indeed updated with higher poly rounded meshes on most surfaces (in addition to entirely new mapping assets and shading techniques). The skeletons/animation were largely the same though some of those were updated too.

It's arguable Creatures tried futureproofing with the 3DS battle models as they were too heavy for the 3DS games (and performance suffered on them) but even still things had to be updated every step moving to the HD gens.

Last edited:
According to XboxEra, a PS5 port of Starfield was only going to happen after the Shatter Space DLC. I don't see that DLC coming out any sooner than Starfield's first anniversary. So I always personally speculated that if a port does happen, it would be next year.

I also find the internal strife story shaky since as you noted, this has been in the works for at least 6 months. So why did the dame only bust when these four games were months from release?
When Sega went third-party, there was internal warring over it up until when it was announced, but they had brand new games ready to ship on other consoles within a couple months of the announcement. They likely had been developing for other systems for at least six months before the announcement, yet there was still strife.

Companies often start projects as fail-safes or safety measures. You can't wait until you need to be publishing on other systems to start the work on them, otherwise you won't be able to shift until 1-2 years after you need to. If you're seriously debating about switching to third-party development, you start some projects on the side, and if you decide to scrap the initiative, you just cancel those projects.

When Sega went third-party, there was internal warring over it up until when it was announced, but they had brand new games ready to ship on other consoles within a couple months of the announcement. They likely had been developing for other systems for at least six months before the announcement, yet there was still strife.

Companies often start projects as fail-safes or safety measures. You can't wait until you need to be publishing on other systems to start the work on them, otherwise you won't be able to shift until 1-2 years after you need to. If you're seriously debating about switching to third-party development, you start some projects on the side, and if you decide to scrap the initiative, you just cancel those projects.
Sega's first 3rd party home console games came more than 6 months after the announcement and those were mainly arcade or Dreamcast ports. Most internal teams took a full year or more before getting their first title out, they weren't hedging their bets at all.

The big 3rd party announcement was 02.02.01 and their first games per console were:

09.14.01 Super Monkey Ball (GC)
11.19.01 Sega Sports NFL 2K2 (PS2)
01.09.02 Sega Sports NFL 2K2 (XB)
09.19.02 Minimoni Shaka no Tamborine! (PS1)

And per internal team in Japan:

Wow Entertainment
03.18.02 Home Run King (GC)

Sega AM2
01.31.02 Virtua Fighter 4 (PS2)

Hitmaker
07.24.02 Crazy Taxi 3: High Roller (XB)

Amusement Vision

Sega Rosso
06.26.03 Initial D: Special Stage (PS2)

SmileBit
02.22.02 Jet Set Radio Future (XB)

Overworks
10.31.02 Dai Guruguru Onsen: Online Games (PS2)

Sonic Team
12.20.01 Sonic Adventure 2 Battle (GC)

United Game Artists
11.22.01 Rez (PS2)

Digital Rex
10.18.02 Shenmue II (XB)

Wavemaster
07.25.02 Roomania #203 (PS2)

The timing lines up with multiple big changes in MSFT and its gaming branch.
  • Nadella removes GP as a key KPI metric, after missing 3 years in a row, and replaces it with total software revenue.
  • ABK was finalised, which means new lead executives with possibly different ideas that Phil and co at Xbox join the executive leadership team.
  • A change in structure in executive heirarchy within the group. Later on we find out Ybarra leaves unexpectedly.
  • This is likely when internal decision was at its climax and a final decision was made.
  • Tim Stuart CFO speaks at an investors conference on multiplat approach
  • I believe soon after this is when the discord screenshot was first leaked. Screenshot spread rapidly on forums.
  • Xbox insiders and some others agree since the discussion is out there.
  • Things escalate when XboxEra claims Starfield, Gears is on the table, and Verge counters with Indiana Jones is on the table.
So really it was the screenshot that led to the quick escalation and then a couple of outlets wanted to capitalise on the clicks when the online discussion was hot.

Reputable journalists likely knew from the start, as all they had to do was ask devs if they are developing for PS5. People like Jason or Stephen, and being professional they weren't just going to completely front run for 5 mins of fame. In fact, Stephen in a podcast during the rumour days even says that he is surprised the host did not know about it, even though the host claimed his source was Sea of Thieves devs.

I remember the FTC testimony saying early in the year, Apr/Mar, MSFT gaming is required to put together a future of gaming report and projections to the board. So maybe talks could have started even earlier after seeing this report and the board not being happy with the current financial situation.

Sega's first 3rd party home console games came more than 6 months after the announcement and those were mainly arcade or Dreamcast ports. Most internal teams took a full year or more before getting their first title out, they weren't hedging their bets at all.

The big 3rd party announcement was 02.02.01 and their first games per console were:

11.19.01 Sega Sports NFL 2K2 (PS2)
01.09.02 Sega Sports NFL 2K2 (XB)
09.19.02 Minimoni Shaka no Tamborine! (PS1)

And per internal team in Japan:

Wow Entertainment
03.18.02 Home Run King (GC)

Sega AM2
01.31.02 Virtua Fighter 4 (PS2)

Hitmaker
07.24.02 Crazy Taxi 3: High Roller (XB)

Amusement Vision

Sega Rosso
06.26.03 Initial D: Special Stage (PS2)

SmileBit
02.22.02 Jet Set Radio Future (XB)

Overworks
10.31.02 Dai Guruguru Onsen: Online Games (PS2)

Sonic Team
12.20.01 Sonic Adventure 2 Battle (GC)

United Game Artists
11.22.01 Rez (PS2)

Digital Rex
10.18.02 Shenmue II (XB)

Wavemaster
07.25.02 Roomania #203 (PS2)
You're arbitrarily specifying "home" consoles. They had Chu Chu Rocket at launch of the Game Boy Advance, two months after the third-party announcement.

You're arbitrarily specifying "home" consoles. They had Chu Chu Rocket at launch of the Game Boy Advance, two months after the third-party announcement.
That's not arbitrary, Sega had a preexisting open door policy on handhelds as they viewed them to be non-competitive. They supported GBC, Wonderswan, NGPC and GBA was next in line following those, it was unrelated to their 3rd party shift in home consoles.

That's not arbitrary, Sega had a preexisting open door policy on handhelds as they viewed them to be non-competitive. They supported GBC, Wonderswan, NGPC and GBA was next in line following those, it was unrelated to their 3rd party shift in home consoles.
Neo Geo Pocket Color was a special case. They had a partnership with SNK. That system and the Dreamcast were framed as being companions, and that's why the NGPC/Dreamcast link cable existed. What games did they make for the Wonderswan or Game Boy Color? The only Sega-related Color games I know of were the Sakura Wars GB games. Sega didn't actually publish or develop the first one of those. They did publish the second one, but that was released in late 2001, months after their third-party announcement. I checked over the list of Wonderswan and GBC games on Wikipedia just now to make sure there wasn't anything I was unaware of, and they didn't list anything.

Back
Top Bottom