Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

[US] Top 50 Selling Titles on Disc (DVD + Blu-ray) — Full-Year 2023

Bruno MB

Archivist
Archivist
Atlus was Alliance after all
image.png

image.png

Detective Pikachu at 24 is a surprise. Sure it probably is at extreme low price, but so I would imagine a lot of others are as well.

My review of the ones I've seen

Oppenheimer (watched half so far) good, not great. As expected from overrated Nolan, doubt he has great in him.

Top Gun Maverick, shockingly bad. Directly in contrast to critical and audience opinion for me.

Mario Movie, good and clever. For what it is, of course.

Avatar way of the water, maybe watched half this as well. Fine, follows the formula, lot of cool spectacle that all runs together after a while, no emotional pull whatsoever.

John Wick (1, not 4) also surprisingly bad, but unlike Top Gun Maverick it's kind of redeemed with it's sheer over the top and campiness, back to becoming kind of good again LOL. fight scenes have no weight whatsoever, feel like staged ballet. Kinda feels like a movie where a 12 y/o went "what if we made a movie, and it was all action scenes!!!!"

Original Top Gun: what is there to say, a classic I guess. Not MY favorite classic, but still a classic.

And thats all I've seen of the top 50.

I am surprised DVD still outsells Blu Ray though. A textbook study in diminishing returns I suppose.

I have no interest in most of the top 50. Maybe minor interest in like the various Wick or Mission Impossible. I have been making an effort to watch movies again on "quitting" destiny for the 100th time. But these top 50 are generally not what interest me. So far none of the handful of films I've watched lately have been great, but "The Killer" by Fincher was pretty good. Oh and Bones and All, probably a classic in my book.

Last edited:
My review of the ones I've seen

Oppenheimer (watched half so far) good, not great. As expected from overrated Nolan, doubt he has great in him.

Top Gun Maverick, shockingly bad. Directly in contrast to critical and audience opinion for me.

Mario Movie, good and clever. For what it is, of course.

Avatar way of the water, maybe watched half this as well. Fine, follows the formula, lot of cool spectacle that all runs together after a while, no emotional pull whatsoever.

John Wick (1, not 4) also surprisingly bad, but unlike Top Gun Maverick it's kind of redeemed with it's sheer over the top and campiness, back to becoming kind of good again LOL. fight scenes have no weight whatsoever, feel like staged ballet. Kinda feels like a movie where a 12 y/o went "what if we made a movie, and it was all action scenes!!!!"

Original Top Gun: what is there to say, a classic I guess. Not MY favorite classic, but still a classic.

And thats all I've seen of the top 50.

I am surprised DVD still outsells Blu Ray though. A textbook study in diminishing returns I suppose.

I have no interest in most of the top 50. Maybe minor interest in like the various Wick or Mission Impossible. I have been making an effort to watch movies again on "quitting" destiny for the 100th time. But these top 50 are generally not what interest me. So far none of the handful of films I've watched lately have been great, but "The Killer" by Fincher was pretty good. Oh and Bones and All, probably a classic in my book.
Damn it would be hard for me to disagree more with a post than this one. I’m kinda staggered it’s possible to think of the original top gun as a classic and hate maverick so much.

DVD still leads sales? Didn't know that.

Several people really don't care about image quality.
Just speaking for myself - but I find I tend to prefer to pull out a DVD instead of a Blu-Ray. I definitely appreciate the improved image quality - that is by far the greatest benefit of the Blu-Ray format for me, but DVDs are just so much more convenient, and in most cases still look fine - so I often find that the convenience trumps the image quality. DVDs load faster, no firmware updates to worry about, and for whatever idiotic reason - so many BluRays (at least the ones I happen to own) won't remember where I left off. If the wife and I stop in the middle of a movie to come back to finish it the next night - boom, right back to the main start-up menu. Now spend several minutes going to the "select scene" menu, then scrolling through trying to remember which was the last scene we watched, and then still needing to rewatch part of the scene because we never actually stop watching right at the scene transition point. I mean seriously - how did Blu-Ray fuck up such a time-tested and convenient feature on so many discs? One step forward, two steps back...

Back
Top Bottom