• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

UPDATE: Street Fighter 6 has surpassed 3M units (January 16th, 2024)

So you're the second person who quoted me posting on @Bodokoh's behalf trying to offer a source for his 100 percent made up claim. You guys are scrambling trying to defend nonsense. How about letting the man speak for himself, because I can promise you none of y'all here have a source for his statement.
So you didn’t actually look at what I quoted good to know. I had both the IGN article and Benjis original tweet on the subject. As far as I know Benji is the source. He looked at the concurrent player count.

Edit: and I say source because he’s the one who compared it to the concurrent player count of other fighters.

Last edited:
So you didn’t actually look at what I quoted good to know. I had both the IGN article and Benjis original tweet on the subject. As far as I know Benji is the source. He looked at the concurrent player count.

So you actually didn't even look at the conversation you needlessly jumped into. Good to know.

Nothing you posted was proof of the claim that came out of @Bodokoh's mouth. Now you wanna try again? Cause I can do this all day.

So you actually didn't even look at the conversation you needlessly jumped into. Good to know.

Nothing you posted was proof of the claim that came out of @Bodokoh's mouth. Now you wanna try again? Cause I can do this all day.
No I followed the conversation.

You asked for a source for.
“Fortunately for Capcom, Steam version is performing really well”

And to most people when a game has twice the concurrent player count of the next closest competition and the best all time. Most people read that as “well”. I supposed you have a different interpretation.

And to most people when a game has twice the concurrent player count of the next closest competition and the best all time. Most people read that as “well”. I supposed you have a different interpretation.
We want a source for the console versions flopping, not the Steam version doing well, which we already know.

And I dunno if it's me but people seem weirdly down on this news. I don't know what people expected from a 1v1 fighting game in it's first 3 days.

If the game sold 1 million units (IF), and it did well on Steam, that by default means it did poorly on consoles.

There's no need to be so obnoxious about it on @Himura Kenshin end but the source we were both asking for is for Steam SKU doing well AND the consoles versions supposedly within flop territory

Concurrent players is not a 1-to-1 with sales and in no way, shape or form does Steam's concurrent player count support Bodokoh's statement that Steam is "doing well" while consoles are "flopping. We don't have the information to make that determination.

What even IS the information you're looking for to make such a claim? Do you expect the Steam version to be 90 percent of the sales once digital comes in? I doubt it'd be 50 percent, but let's shoot for the moon and say it's 50 percent, you can't say Steam is "doing well" and consoles are "flopping" when they both sold the exact same amount.

Maybe now you see why it's such a ridiculous, unqualified statement to make at this time, when there is no source to back it up.

What even IS the information you're looking for to make such a claim? Do you expect the Steam version to be 90 percent of the sales once digital comes in? I doubt it'd be 50 percent, but let's shoot for the moon and say it's 50 percent, you can't say Steam is "doing well" and consoles are "flopping" when they both sold the exact same amount.
Sales targets are different on each platform. Capcom was likely targeting at least 1 million sold across Playstation + Xbox in the first week.

Sales targets are different on each platform. Capcom was likely targeting at least 1 million sold across Playstation + Xbox in the first week.

This is your assumption, this is neither a "source" nor "proof" to make a definitive statement on.

I think Capcom are out of their goddamn minds expecting ten million from SF6. A million in three days (assuming that's an accurate figure) is fantastic compared to the sorts of numbers these games usually pull.

Fortunately for Capcom, Steam version is performing really well while the traditional consoles versions are within the flop territory.
Are you basing your whole claim on a single region where physical sales have been dropping like a rock or are you're gonna bring a good argument for such a claim?

Generally Speaking IMO , A game doing strong on Steam CCU is one thing , but basing Steam Sales on CCU has lots of factors to consider , both can be strong , but one can be looking relatively mild and the other is looking relatively strong , thats because the loose "Multipler" of the Peak CCU is totally random and differs from game to game and has lots of factors to it , I will give two games example

When Sloclap announced 50K for steam version of Sifu , the game was at ~3K Peak CCU , thats around x17 the peak CCU , meanwhile for MHW PC version , it had a Gigantic 350K peak CCU at that time , but its Multiplier wasnt nowhere near Sifu , Since the game in that Quarter increased by 2.4M IIRC ( that includes Consoles ) , so the multiplier here is about x7 at max

Also as i said previously in this thread , another Peak CCU factor to consider is that there are differences between games years ago and newer games in that regard ( Pre Load , better internet speeds globally to download Games Faster , Games Sizes , etc )

Last edited:
Maybe now you see why it's such a ridiculous, unqualified statement to make at this time, when there is no source to back it up.
To be clear, this wouldn’t have cleared anything up for me. However, When Jaded Alyx step in; it made more sense. I wasn’t arguing the argument, I thought you missed previous post since it was so close to your source post.

Please remember that not everyone reads sarcasm in the same way.

I think Capcom are out of their goddamn minds expecting ten million from SF6. A million in three days (assuming that's an accurate figure) is fantastic compared to the sorts of numbers these games usually pull.
SFV, which released on two platforms, with a myriad of problems and terrible word of mouth, ended up at 7 million. SF6 launched on 4 platforms, one of which has seen significant growth in fighting game players, and has incredible buzz, genuine casual/mainstream appeal, and a 92 meta/open critic rating. Is 10 million really that unachievable 5-6 years down the line?

I think Capcom are out of their goddamn minds expecting ten million from SF6.

Tekken 7, MK11, Smash bros all sold over 10m. If anything they are being very conservative with their forecast again and the actual LTD sales will easily beat that after deep discounts.

Many gamers buy games but haven't played them yet, so the actual sales amount > amount of players actually. It's likely at least 1.5m sold right now and I'm expecting a new PR saying 2m sold worldwide in a few weeks.

To be clear, this wouldn’t have cleared anything up for me. However, When Jaded Alyx step in; it made more sense. I wasn’t arguing the argument, I thought you missed previous post since it was so close to your source post.

Please remember that not everyone reads sarcasm in the same way.

No, I didn't miss any posts because I know there is no post that anyone here can make that can verify a claim that is without verification. Giving you the benefit of the doubt my guess is you skimmed our comments and didn't see the crux of the discussion (console = flop sales/steam = really good sales) was a statement that had no merit or basis in reality with the current information we have, "Steam CCU" or not.

right, that's why I said "likely".

The entire discussion stems from me asking for a source from a poster who made a definitive claim. If we start throwing in our assumptions and guesses that's a whole different conversation - and I wouldn't even be arguing in that discussion because obviously that's up to each individual with no rights or wrongs, per se.

God Of War
Peak : 73k
971k in 2.5 months

Street Fighter VI
Peak : 70k
Estimate : 250k in 3 days

Estimate in 3 days :
PS - 600k
PC - 250k
Xbox - 150k

Not a good sign, seems a soft launch, but legs will be very long so it's soon to start to be worrying.

No, I didn't miss any posts because I know there is no post that anyone here can make that can verify a claim that is without verification. Giving you the benefit of the doubt my guess is you skimmed our comments and didn't see the crux of the discussion (console = flop sales/steam = really good sales) was a statement that had no merit or basis in reality with the current information we have, "Steam CCU" or not.

The entire discussion stems from me asking for a source from a poster who made a definitive claim. If we start throwing in our assumptions and guesses that's a whole different conversation - and I wouldn't even be arguing in that discussion because obviously that's up to each individual with no rights or wrongs, per se.
He was pretty clearly making an educated guess from the two datapoints we have. You should make an appeal to reason rather than making the assumption that he was making a definitive claim. Like tons of posts on this forum make claims like this. Based on the Steam CCU and that it started out strong, we can reasonable guess a higher multiplier than usual. I'd guess at least a 4x multiplier for Steam sales. He probably assumed something higher, maybe based off Guilty Gear performance. The flop part likely comes from seeing how it flopped at retail in the UK. Based on the standard portion of the UK market, it would be 100k retail. This is failing to recognize that the UK favors blockbusters over standard games so the UK tends to a smaller portion of midsized games like Street Fighter and it's ignoring likely digital sales would be 50+%.

Many gamers buy games but haven't played them yet, so the actual sales amount > amount of players actually. It's likely at least 1.5m sold right now and I'm expecting a new PR saying 2m sold worldwide in a few weeks.
I really don't think this happens at all. As far as I can tell, player count always exceeds unit sales for mainstream games, especially multiplayer-focused titles.

He was pretty clearly making an educated guess from the two datapoints we have. You should make an appeal to reason rather than making the assumption that he was making a definitive claim. Like tons of posts on this forum make claims like this. Based on the Steam CCU and that it started out strong, we can reasonable guess a higher multiplier than usual. I'd guess at least a 4x multiplier for Steam sales. He probably assumed something higher, maybe based off Guilty Gear performance. The flop part likely comes from seeing how it flopped at retail in the UK. Based on the standard portion of the UK market, it would be 100k retail. This is failing to recognize that the UK favors blockbusters over standard games so the UK tends to a smaller portion of midsized games like Street Fighter and it's ignoring likely digital sales would be 50+%.

You can't ask me to make an "appeal to reason" if you're going to ignore the fact that the statement in question is without reason in the first place.

If you're educated enough to make an "educated" guess I'm assuming you're educated enough to know you can't take those Steam CCU numbers - which are WORLDWIDE numbers - and use some Mickey Mouse logic to apply them specifically to the UK's boxed sales numbers. That is babble with no merit. Maybe if you had the Steam CCU specific to the market in question, but even then you're better off waiting on the digital breakdown - which is something we know we don't have to wait long for - before making such a statement.

And if people are using this logic all the time so they can justify saying "this console is really good and this console is in flop territory" then they are wrong too, so I'm not sure what that has to do with anything.

I expected more, but 10M should not be hard to reach with good post launch support and many discounts.

Tekken 7, MK11, Smash bros all sold over 10m. If anything they are being very conservative with their forecast again and the actual LTD sales will easily beat that after deep discounts.

Dunno about other games but Smash Ultimate sold 5 million at launch weekend and 12 million in its first month, so I am not sure that comparison makes a lot of sense. SF is gonna have to rely on strong legs going forward.

Extremely silly to compare a traditional fighting game like SF6 with a non-traditional game like smash bros.

SFV did more than 7m. units on PS4/PC, in sure SF6 will do more than 10m in the long run

To rescind my earlier statement slightly I forgot about the inevitable Super SF6/ Arcade Edition SF6/Champion Edition SF6/Omega Edition SF6/Ultra Banana SF6. That all could indeed eventually top 10m.

If SF5 managed to climb to 7 million on PS4/PC, don't see how 10 million for 6 is that outlandish. More platforms + better reception makes it seem like a lock with how aggressive Capcom is at discounting their games down the line.

The obfuscation with "players" as opposed to units is never a great sign, though it also seems a bit hasty to say it's another bomba or flop

Capcom has updated its Platinum Page today ( Numbers as of 31 March 2023 )

Street Fighter series 31 Dec 2022 = 49M
Street Fighter series 31 March 2023 = 49M

Street Fighter V = +200K
Street Fighter 30th = +200K
Ultra Street Fighter= +100K

So If the series is at <51M if announcement is literal range between 50 and 51M , then that makes the maximum the game can do to be 1.5M

So when they announced 1M players , the game didnt surpass 1M Sales , now i can guess Capcom definition of players

Unless the Japanese Street fighter account was meaning Sales and not Players literally , then Capcom for whatever reason waited two whole days to make the announcement on their website

I know some people expected an explosive start like with SF4 two decades ago, but I think given the current market, those are great numbers.

Critical reception should allow the game to enjoy long legs for sure and I believe the game made some great moves to attract a wider audience.

We want a source for the console versions flopping, not the Steam version doing well, which we already know.

And I dunno if it's me but people seem weirdly down on this news. I don't know what people expected from a 1v1 fighting game in it's first 3 days.
It is probably a mix of people hoping for SF6 to beat the SF launch record and also people seeing the franchise bigger than it is.

Street Fighter V - 1.4m in 1.5 months
Street Fighter IV - 3m+ in 1.5 months

SF6 will lag behind SF4, but the market is different for fighting games now.

Which is weird to think about, since fighting games as I recall were "dead" when SF4 launched.
Fighting games are overall much bigger now than they were in 2008. SF6 is a step in the right direction for the franchise to get back to it's previous heights.

Which is weird to think about, since fighting games as I recall were "dead" when SF4 launched.
I am not knowledgeable enough on that scene, but Max Dood mentioned in his SF4 video that it was the most hyped fighting game he remembers.

Fighting games are overall much bigger now than they were in 2008. SF6 is a step in the right direction for the franchise to get back to it's previous heights.
Digital sales allowed for longer tails than before, but I would say that the disemphazing of couch multiplayer on PS/Xbox since the start of the HD era, really cut fighting games to a part of their audience.

Not bad after the SFV debacle. It's all about how the WOM can carry it from here.

Wasn't SFV 1.4 million sold in 6 weeks on PC/PS4?

I am not knowledgeable enough on that scene, but Max Dood mentioned in his SF4 video that it was the most hyped fighting game he remembers.
The hype for SF4 was unmatched. Looking back the jump from SF3 being a Dreamcast game of the late 90s to SF4 in HD with 3D animation running on Capcom's MT Framework engine was incredible. Especially for the west were Guilty Gear X2 and King of Fighters were never really that big compared to the Asian scene and some parts of Europe. People really only had MvC2 and SF3 3rd Strike to go with for almost a decade.

You also have to keep in mind that SF3 was basically a reboot of the series with only 4 returning characters while SF4 literally launched with the whole roster from Super Street fighter 2 Turbo with only Dee Jay, Cammy, Fei Long and T.Hawk missing.
Fei Long and Cammy (via online fan voting) were added immediately with the console launch. They were part of a total of 6 characters that came with the home console release. Dee Jay and T. Hawk were added in the later versions of the game as well. They were really firing from all cylinders. The game launched with 6 completely new characters 2 of them were hidden inside of the game with Akuma.

Between this and just how good the game looked (the ultra moves look spectacular to this day), the opening cinematics and fully Japanese and English voice acting for all characters, it really felt like a "We are back and better than ever before".

Tbh 1 million sold on 5 systems is rather weak.

Long tail sales is what will make this game anyway. Seasonal content and rereleases (I know I’m waiting for the Ultra/championship edition down the road)

Yeah the legs are where we will see how the game truly performs, and the tons of DLC it will surely get. As a GaaS, launch doesnt tell the whole story.

Yeah I remwmber the hype for SF4 back in the days

Btw this 1 mil on many platforms at launch is decent, nothing more nothing less I suppose

Game is good, wom will be positive

Honestly kind of depressing that the developers and marketing team basically did everything right and this is the result. It's fine, but, it should have had the launch of a renaissance for Street Fighter, which I expect it might be going forward.

It's especially weird because the Steam player count is so good it's hard to imagine it didn't beat expectations on Steam. I wonder if this is a rare case where marketing + WOM can't overcome just how much damage Capcom did with SFV at launch. There's basically no reason to buy SF early when SFV had an absolute disaster of a launch. I know personally I'm waiting for later this week.

Honestly kind of depressing that the developers and marketing team basically did everything right and this is the result. It's fine, but, it should have had the launch of a renaissance for Street Fighter, which I expect it might be going forward.

It's especially weird because the Steam player count is so good it's hard to imagine it didn't beat expectations on Steam. I wonder if this is a rare case where marketing + WOM can't overcome just how much damage Capcom did with SFV at launch. There's basically no reason to buy SF early when SFV had an absolute disaster of a launch. I know personally I'm waiting for later this week.

Seeing a lot of parallels to FFXVI. Games are pretty much releasing as polished as can be, no real development troubles, issues, or major drama, seems like the latter will review well as well but there’s just no huge buzz for either. Both older, well-liked, japanese franchises.

And I honestly don’t think its bad marketing like people keep saying, SF6 had really good marketing and I feel like FFXVI has had good marketing.

I’m not really sure what else Capcom could have done to make this more explosive. Mortal Kombat will do way bigger numbers. Its crazy

1 million in launch weekend will likely have it around 2 million by the end of the month, which would put it above Tekken 7 which achieve 2 million in 2 months. It's about the best we can expect a fighting game to do aside from attaching to a bigger brand.

Back
Top Bottom