• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

UPDATE: Street Fighter 6 has surpassed 3M units (January 16th, 2024)

MK focused on home consoles as a priority long before any other traditional fighting game. It's a big reason why it's popularity wasn't affected by the decline in arcades, and why they put more effort on single player content.

The competitive fighting scene is a niche of an already (actual) niche genere.
The roots of this are the death of the arcade sub-culture. The fighting games are the only games that are worse to play in your home console/portable/PC-gaming, because the 1 vs 1 fights are actually a more hard to emulate in online modes. I remember clearly (even in my Central American country) how in a span of 5 years almost every arcade dedicated was closing or changed to an Internet Cafe, and the children and boys that usually hang over the arcades, change their Street Fighter II, Tekken 3, Mortal Kombat 3, King of Fighters or Marvel vs. Capcom for Age of Empires and (mostly) Counter Strike.
Again, why it's so imporant talking about a niche and very specific group of fans that aren't the big chunk of the sales? The competitive fighting game scene doesn't matter for the sales, if you want to talk about the big fighting games.
Those guys on the FGC, however, are important to the more small fanbase: Blue Blaze, Dead or Alive, KoF....
The competitive FGC is important for SF & Tekken as well as the smaller titles. Capcom would be in a worse place with SF if the FGC completely abandoned 5 for instance. Or Tekken 7 probably wouldn’t be having its legs without that part of the community.

Where the competitive scene matters less are games like MK & Smash. Games that already reach wide & don’t need to worry about appealing to those audiences.

3M sales reached
3 million units.

Press release:
Capcom Co., Ltd. (Capcom) today announced that Street Fighter 6, the latest title in the storied Street Fighter series, has sold over 3 million units worldwide (as of January 3, 2024).

The first title in the Street Fighter series was released as an arcade game in 1987, followed by the global smash hit Street Fighter II in 1991, which generated mass excitement due to its innovative battle system. Even today, more than 36 years since Street Fighter first debuted, the series still enjoys immense popularity across the globe with cumulative sales for the series totaling over 52 million units worldwide. Further, in recent years the series has increased its presence as a driving force in the fighting game genre of esports.

Released in June 2023, seven years after the previous title in the franchise, Street Fighter 6 represents the next evolution of the series and a new generation of fighting games. Along with the Street Fighter League: Pro-JP 2023 esports tournament, the company is utilizing Street Fighter 6 in the Capcom Pro Tour 2023, which will provide a Capcom-record high $1 million USD (approx. 130 million yen*) in prize money to the champion, with the total prize pool for the tour exceeding $2 million USD (approx. 260 million yen*). On top of these activities, Capcom has worked to capture greater interest and attention for the title with continued content updates, including broad collaborations, additional characters, and costumes (such as "Outfit 3" additional character costumes), which has helped grow sales of Street Fighter 6 over 3 million units globally.

Further, Street Fighter 6 has received critical acclaim and was recognized as the year’s top fighting game, winning the Best Fighting Game Award at The Game Awards 2023, one of the largest award ceremonies globally, which recognizes the annual achievements of video games and their creators through a blended vote of international media outlets and game fans.

Capcom remains firmly committed to satisfying the expectations of all players by leveraging its industry-leading game development capabilities in order to create highly entertaining gameplay experiences.

So how is this game going to sell 10 million copies again?

Eh V has sold 7.4 million with a slower start then VI.

If they port it to Switch 2 I think 10 million is pretty reasonable lifetime

Capcom has been quite good at having long legs on their games in the since the mid 2010s or so.

So how is this game going to sell 10 million copies again?
It took SF5 4 years to reach 4.1mil, SF6 just did nearly 75% of that in less than a year without the frequent deep discounts SF5 had enjoyed in that timeframe. I think it'll be just fine.

I mean there's a decent chance by the end of the first year it'll be halfway there. Seems good to me.

it sold 2 million copies within the first month of release and additional million in the 5 months following. It’s very unlikely that it will sell another 2 million copies within the next year, much less by the end of release year.

That's a fantastic result and a strong indicator of them achieving their 10 million copies goal. It's also maintaining a very healthy playerbase on steam, with peaks of around 20k concurrent players.

With good discount sales and dlc bundles I don't think ten million lifetime is out of the question. The main thing I'd be curious about is if Capcom plans to change its dlc strategy for the game. As social media really does not seem to care about avatar items.

Jun. 02, 23 : Release
Jun. 05, 23 : 1 million players
Jun. 07, 23 : 1 million
Jun. 30, 23 : 1.9 million
Jul. 07, 23 : 2 million
Sep. 30, 23 : 2.4 million
Jan. 03, 24 : 3 million

Last edited:
This game will have little troubles selling 10 million units lifetime, the question will be at what asp.

Still 3 million in about 7 months is prety good since the game barely had any discounts higher than 25%

$4.99-$9.99 sales promotion is essential to reach the 10 million mark.

That will happen maybe in next 4-5 years. Cac is going to put the game on cheap like bamco with DB Fighter Z and focus on getting the rest of the money from costume or character dlc.

With The Way Capcom is deep discounting its games and featuring it at lots of Humble Bundles and the likes , this won't have problem getting to 10M

But I sense from their wording with Street Fighter 6 here and before that they aren't that Big satisfied and they hoped for more at This Price Range

SFIV (PS3/360)
2 million in 10 days
2.5 million in 2 months
3.5 million in end of life

SFV (PS4/PC)
1.4 million in just over a month
2 million in 18 months
4 million in 4 years
5 million in 4 years and 9 months
6 million in 5 years and 9 months
7 million in 7 years
7.4 million in 7 years and 8 months

SFVI (PS5/PS4/PC/XS)
1 million in 5 days
2 million in 1 month
2.4 million in 4 months
3 million in 7 months

Last edited:
SFIV (PS3/360)
2 million in 10 days
2.5 million in 2 months

SFV (PS4/PC)
2 million in 18 months
4 million in 4 years
7 million in 7 years

SFVI (PS5/PS4/PC/XS)
1 million in 5 days
2 million in 1 month
2.4 million in 4 months
3 million in 6 months
Your SF IV number is just vanilla SFIV vs lifetime SFV sales of every version.

For a better comparison you should add Super, Arcade 3D and Ultra versions to your SFIV tally

Your SF IV number is just vanilla SFIV vs lifetime SFV sales of every version.

For a better comparison you should add Super, Arcade 3D and Ultra versions to your SFIV tally
Because SFV, SFV AE and SFV Champion are all the same game, with free updates for older owners, whereas SFIV and its iterations were a brand new game every time, with new content that was inaccessible to older players, who had to pay again, which is why Capcom is grouping SFV sales together and separating SFIV sales. The same goes for Street Fighter 2 and its multiple iterations.

SFIV (PS3/360)
2 million in 10 days
2.5 million in 2 months

SFV (PS4/PC)
2 million in 18 months
4 million in 4 years
7 million in 7 years

SFVI (PS5/PS4/PC/XS)
1 million in 5 days
2 million in 1 month
2.4 million in 4 months
3 million in 6 months

nice pace, I'd say!
surely the full multiplat approach (adding PC compared to IV and Xbox compared to V) helped
let's see if it will be discounted often, as we suppose

Still significantly ahead of SFV. Should have no problem reaching 10M in a few years.

Because SFV, SFV AE and SFV Champion are all the same game, with free updates for older owners, whereas SFIV and its iterations were a brand new game every time, with new content that was inaccessible to older players, who had to pay again, which is why Capcom is grouping SFV sales together and separating SFIV sales. The same goes for Street Fighter 2 and its multiple iterations.

It still compares apple to oranges. People buying Super, Arcade, Arcade v2 and Ultra was cheaper than buying season passes.

The sales model changed between the generations.

nice pace, I'd say!
surely the full multiplat approach (adding PC compared to IV and Xbox compared to V) helped
let's see if it will be discounted often, as we suppose
SF4 did have a PC version, it's just not included in that number (I think Capcom counted it as a different SKU). Just another point in why this comparison to SF4 is flawed.
It's undoubtedly doing noticeably better than SF5, though, for sure.

It still compares apple to oranges. People buying Super, Arcade, Arcade v2 and Ultra was cheaper than buying season passes.

The sales model changed between the generations.
Capcom consider SF5 and its iterations to be the same game, unlike SF2, SF3 & 4, where it was a new game every new release, with no possibility of updates.

Capcom consider SF5 and its iterations to be the same game, unlike SF2, SF3 & 4, where it was a new game every new release, with no possibility of updates.
They consider SF 4 to be the same too. They just changed their SKU policy. By Arcade Edition, I'm pretty sure you could upgrade by DLC.

They consider SF 4 to be the same too. They just changed their SKU policy. By Arcade Edition, I'm pretty sure you could upgrade by DLC.
That's not the impression they give, since sales are separate for the different versions, as can be seen here :

There's a reason they're doing this and not for SF5.

Street 5 differents editions = free update.
Street 4 differents editions = you pay again.

With The Way Capcom is deep discounting its games and featuring it at lots of Humble Bundles and the likes , this won't have problem getting to 10M

But I sense from their wording with Street Fighter 6 here and before that they aren't that Big satisfied and they hoped for more at This Price Range
General rule of thumb is that when a publisher makes multiple PRs for the sales of one of their game, that means they are satisfied with its sales.

General rule of thumb is that when a publisher makes multiple PRs for the sales of one of their game, that means they are satisfied with its sales.

The thing is, the contrary isn't always true. Just see how much Bloodborne sold without a word of PR from Sony.

That's not the impression they give, since sales are separate for the different versions, as can be seen here :

There's a reason they're doing this and not for SF5.

Street 5 differents editions = free update.
Street 4 differents editions = you pay again.
They also do this for pretty much everything prior to the PS4/XB1. They track them separately cause they are separate SKUs but, the PS3/360's digital stores were still young and charged for updates. Season Passes didn't really start to be a thing until like 2011. By 2015, the model for GAAS changed to being free updates with paid dlc for the actual content.

Incredible result, even more so after the disaster that was the launch of Street Fighter 5.

Street Fighter 6 will likely reach half of Street Fighter 5's lifetime sales before its first year on the market.

And the game will be supported for at least 4 years, with new versions, characters... and obviously the base game will eventually start to have discounts in all promotions on the PS, Xbox and Steam digital stores.

Lifetime sales of 10 million is certainly within reach.

Please, what was said in the press release that gave you that impression? I'm genuinely curious.

For Current PR Maybe i am overreaching because i didn't see strong words like in some previous PRs , but for Past Impressions this is where my impression came from

Quarter 1 Q&A

How do you evaluate the performance of Street Fighter 6?

Compared to the internal plan for the title, sales are generally progressing in line with our expectations. We believe that its positive critical reception will work as a tailwind in expanding future sales of the game as a catalog title.

Quarter 2 Q&A

How do you evaluate the performance of Street Fighter 6 and how do you plan to further grow sales in the future?

The game has received critical acclaim and surpassed 2.47 million units in sales globally by introducing fresh features and modes that appeal to a broader range of users, such as new Modern Type control inputs. However, given the relative size of the versus fighting game market, it is unlikely that the title will immediately achieve results on par with those of titles in the Monster Hunter or Resident Evil series. We look to continue expanding sales for this title over the long term, promoting it in our esports activities in order to grow the fighting game fanbase.

Keep in mind that i didn't say they aren't Satisfied , but I said they aren't Big Satisfied , like " Thats Good But I hoped its better " kind of thing , but this is just personal impression

Back
Top Bottom