• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

UPDATE 7: Monster Hunter Rise: Sunbreak Surpasses 6 Million Units Globally, MHR at 13M [NEW]

But this all also applies to Iceborne, yet I don't remember much real talk about a tepid launch or needing a rebound for it then?

There was definitely talk of how Capcom could've been more timely with Iceborne's rollout, back in the day. There was also talk of how the game was selling to a smaller percentage of MHW buyers than people expected, but at the time it was chalked up to MHW itself having attracted so many new players that a lot of them had simply had their fill and moved on.

This assumes two things that I don't think the data currently supports

1. That other regions buy expansions at the same rate as Japan
2. That the World/Rise audiences are as likely to buy expansions as the Gen 4-and-older audiences

I think the key question there would be "why." But beyond the product itself not being enough of a draw, I can't really think of any reason for that. In the case of Japan specifically, it would mean that MH has declined enough to where expansions aren't as big a deal anymore. As for the rest of the world...I don't know. This game launched globally on two extremely successful platforms. There's an extremely large potential market for it.

I kinda agree with the opinion that to some people Sunbreak does not feel like a MASSIVE expansion. To me it does but my Rise hunting group kinda fell apart because they are not feeling it, Rise is their first MH and is kinda my fault since I hyped it a bunch but to me it truly feels like a great expansion.

Square Enix having a decent sale with Octopath Traveller 50% off.

Japanese digital sales must be must good for them to promote sales like this.
you intended to post this on the MC thread instead?

There was definitely talk of how Capcom could've been more timely with Iceborne's rollout, back in the day. There was also talk of how the game was selling to a smaller percentage of MHW buyers than people expected, but at the time it was chalked up to MHW itself having attracted so many new players that a lot of them had simply had their fill and moved on.

I think the key question there would be "why." But beyond the product itself not being enough of a draw, I can't really think of any reason for that. In the case of Japan specifically, it would mean that MH has declined enough to where expansions aren't as big a deal anymore. As for the rest of the world...I don't know. This game launched globally on two extremely successful platforms. There's an extremely large potential market for it.
I'm not able to conjecture as to the why.

Well. I am capable of it, but I wouldn't be saying anything of substance.

I do think launching Sunbreak day and date on PC may be to some extent to the detriment of total sales numbers - doing a staggered launch would have IMO increased the totals in a non-negligible way, since I think that the MH games by their nature have a higher chance than the average game for double dippers. And if someone double dipped already on Rise, they have already a save for each version, so they could have double dipped on Sunbreak as well if there were a staggered release. Maybe.

Couldn't it be the same situation with Rise? I'd imagine that for Switch players in the West while some have moved to PC the majority hasn't due to losing all progress plus having to buy the game again and Switch Rise owners have either bought it on the Switch or simply just doesn't care about Rise enough to go back. Rise sold a lot more in the West than MH on the 3DS and while some buyers come from World there was also an important group of new players to MH that come from a Nintendo audience.

This is just me theorizing/speculating, but it feels as though Capcom wasn't prepared for Rise to sell as well as it did. And as a result, they weren't really prepared to build on its success in any meaningful way, either. I sincerely believe both Rise and Sunbreak had the potential to do even better.
I don't think this is true at all. I think what happened is that Covid had a huge impact on the development of Rise, so much so that they only managed to finish the game two months after launch, and instead of trying to salvage the release they put all their effort into developing the expansion. I see evidence of this in basic features such as talisman locking and making Wyvern Riding optional, things that should have been simple fixes, being released only with the Sunbreak patch.

Even then, they've already committed to a significant roadmap for SB that is far above what Rise got. Remains to be seen how far they take it in reality, but it's already looking like SB will have a lot more support than base Rise, which had... none. Capcom tried to make the best of a Covid situation, I think they did alright.
Couldn't it be the same situation with Rise? I'd imagine that for Switch players in the West while some have moved to PC the majority hasn't due to losing all progress plus having to buy the game again and Switch Rise owners have either bought it on the Switch or simply just doesn't care about Rise enough to go back. Rise sold a lot more in the West than MH on the 3DS and while some buyers come from World there was also an important group of new players to MH that come from a Nintendo audience.
To be fair, it is trivial to hack yourself in a bunch of talismans and materials, and Capcom has added overpowered weapons to both base World and Rise to fast-track players into their respective expansions. I don't think "losing out on your old stuff" matters as much as you think it does. People just play on the platform they prefer.

You can't compare the way Monster Hunter Expansions were delivered back in the day compared to how they are delivered now. You can't buy Sunbreak or Iceborne without already owning Rise or World. Back in the 3DS and before days you had to buy a whole new game that had the original in it. This alone just totally changes the dynamics. You're not going to hit the ratios old expansions had. Just not reasonable.

You can't compare the way Monster Hunter Expansions were delivered back in the day compared to how they are delivered now. You can't buy Sunbreak or Iceborne without already owning Rise or World. Back in the 3DS and before days you had to buy a whole new game that had the original in it. This alone just totally changes the dynamics. You're not going to hit the ratios old expansions had. Just not reasonable.

I agree
we already saw this with Iceborne, and has been (logically) confirmed by Sunbreak

That could be the case, but we know for a fact that Rise saw lower retention than MHW did, owing to a variety of factors. And I feel that situation could have been avoided to begin with, by putting more hooks into Rise to encourage people to keep playing. I genuinely feel Rise had the potential to sell even better than it did, and to keep players engaged better, which would have given Sunbreak a healthier environment to launch in.

I don't think this is true at all. I think what happened is that Covid had a huge impact on the development of Rise, so much so that they only managed to finish the game two months after launch, and instead of trying to salvage the release they put all their effort into developing the expansion. I see evidence of this in basic features such as talisman locking and making Wyvern Riding optional, things that should have been simple fixes, being released only with the Sunbreak patch.

Even then, they've already committed to a significant roadmap for SB that is far above what Rise got. Remains to be seen how far they take it in reality, but it's already looking like SB will have a lot more support than base Rise, which had... none. Capcom tried to make the best of a Covid situation, I think they did alright.

COVID definitely played a role in the development of Rise. The issue is more what happened once the game was out. I don't think Capcom anticipated Rise would be quite as big as it was, because if they had, they could have assigned a smaller team of people to continue updating the game while everybody else worked on Sunbreak. I think allowing Rise to languish as long as they did was a real mistake. Again, this isn't to say that Rise hasn't done well—it's a tremendous success. But unfortunately, the way its content and post-launch support were handled are definitely going to have a negative impact on Sunbreak.

Ideally, the flexibility of being able to download just the expansion for cheaper would encourage even more people to jump aboard.

Ideally, the flexibility of being able to download just the expansion for cheaper would encourage even more people to jump aboard.

Because you essentially bought the same game twice during the older generation, there would be a significant amount of buyers of the G versions that never played or bought the vanilla versions.

Thinking that this DLC model would ever match or even come close to the old model in Japan is just pipe dreams. Not even gonna pretend otherwise lol

Because you essentially bought the same game twice during the older generation, there would be a significant amount of buyers of the G versions that never played or bought the vanilla versions.

Thinking that this DLC model would ever match or even come close to the old model in Japan is just pipe dreams. Not even gonna pretend otherwise lol

Sorry, I'm not certain I follow. People now have the option either to buy the entire package at a discounted price, or just the expansion at a cheaper price, if they already own the original game. If anything, that should encourage more people to try it out.

Edit: Unless you're saying sales of 4 Ultimate counted towards 4? Because that isn't the case. They've always been tracked as separate SKUs.

Sorry, I'm not certain I follow. People now have the option either to buy the entire package at a discounted price, or just the expansion at a cheaper price, if they already own the original game. If anything, that should encourage more people to try it out.

Edit: Unless you're saying sales of 4 Ultimate counted towards 4? Because that isn't the case. They've always been tracked as separate SKUs.
More people do try it out. That's why the fifth gen has higher sales for every first version.

The scenario GDM is describing is one wherein gen 5 results in more people trying it out but fewer people buying in to the expansions, because there are fewer people who are waiting for the expansion to do their initial jumping-on point

From prior sales it was clear Rise was never going to match the heights of MHW. What will be interesting to see is how much bigger MHW was on PC vs Rise, the only platform to get both games.
2.5M (80%+ on PS4) vs 2M on PC+SW is surprisingly low. PS4+PC for Iceborne could have been two times bigger than Sunrise.

From prior sales it was clear Rise was never going to match the heights of MHW. What will be interesting to see is how much bigger MHW was on PC vs Rise, the only platform to get both games.
2.5M (80%+ on PS4) vs 2M on PC+SW is surprisingly low. PS4+PC for Iceborne could have been two times bigger than Sunrise.
Iceborne PC was under 800k for it's first 5 days and a simultaneous launch would've cannibalized PS4 to some degree. There's basically no way it'd have done 4m combined in 5 days day one with PS4 and Xbox.

That's really funny because that's not how it works, no MH expansion has sold 4 million within a week ever. IB PS+PC aligned is only about 3.2-3.3 million . PC day and date will also cannibalize the PS day-one share for sure, since there is much more overlap between stationary PCs and stationary consoles, than between stationary PC and hybrid console.

MHR SB is only underperforming relative to how much it sold on Switch (MHR on Switch has hit PS 2-year-nearly-3-year-LTD numbers for MHW in half the time). I am pretty sure time-aligned MHR on Switch is the highest selling MH on one platform ever. The question is why is MHRSB picking up less out of the gate, despite the strong sales of MHR (single platform wise).

I personally do not think MHR numbers in PC is that high,and the number in my mind is less than what I think most people here have in their minds, and correspondingly MHRSB PC numbers are also not that high.

The only question I have in mind is if the pick up for SB is delayed or it is permanently lost.

Last edited:

I think this is a reasonable take given what we know about Capcom's release schedule from the ransomeware leak. Sunbreak was the only title that got pushed forward, substantially at that.

Slower than Inceborne perhaps but nearly a quarter of the base jumping into a premium expansion isn't anything to sneeze at. Retention is one thing I remember Capcom has mentioned in the past but the days of trains being filled with people playing the lastest MonHun are over. Far too much competition these days with purpose built persistent online GAAS like Destiny.
Honestly speaking, Dauntless caught my attention more than MH. Watching my brother play MHW was tedious. Had to sharpen his weapon in the middle of a hunt and it took forever to slay the beginner monster. In contrast, Dauntless games were much quicker, no tedious weapon sharpening, etc. Of course, Dauntless went downhill when they added tedious grind for no reason, but meh.

With my opinion said, it's clear that sales wise, this MH isn't matching up to MHW. However, Capcom is not losing sleep over it and it will continue to get support and a sequel. It sold over 10m, which is more than most RE games.

I honestly believe Sunbreak would have done better if it released at the end of May. With that said, I wouldn't be surprised if it hit 4 million by next week.

I think this is a reasonable take given what we know about Capcom's release schedule from the ransomeware leak. Sunbreak was the only title that got pushed forward, substantially at that.

I think it's a testament to how good the marketing for Rise pre launch was and especially how good the core gameplay of Rise is that content and difficulty issues didn't stop it from having a great launch and solid legs in its second quarter.

The low endgame content and poor roadmap are what dragged on its legs and reputation but almost every criticism of Rise I saw was "This is super fun but there isn't enough content or challenge"

Sunbreak largely addresses both of those so there is a fair amount of potential to reclaim lost players and get momentum going.

I like how we're talking about picking up momentum for a game that has sold 10 million units with an expansion that has sold 2 million units worldwide.

I like how we're talking about picking up momentum for a game that has sold 10 million units with an expansion that has sold 2 million units worldwide.
Let's just say that World's remarkable breakout success may have unduly coloured peoples' perception of what success should look like for a Monster Hunter title to the point of having Nintendo-esque doom and gloom for the second highest selling title in the franchise.

I think the point is now you need to buy the base game in order to play the master rank content. Previously you could decide to wait out until the expanded game released. So in older generations we could more or less say that the audience was effectively split between the base and the expanded games (with a high percentage of double-dippers, of course). In other words, you would only need to buy a single 40-50$/€ game to access everything that generation has to offer if you were willing to skip the original release. Now you can't do that. Instead, you need to buy a 50-60$/€ base game AND a 30-40$/€ expansion if you want to access the master rank content.

TLDR: Sunbreak (Iceborne) users are necessarily a subset of Rise (World) users, but this doesn't apply to previous generations, so the sales dynamics are completely different and can't be that easily compared.

Let's just say that World's remarkable breakout success may have unduly coloured peoples' perception of what success should look like for a Monster Hunter title to the point of having Nintendo-esque doom and gloom for the second highest selling title in the franchise.
It's Capcom's second highest selling game period.

3 million for Sunbreak. That probably means the game was already a little higher than 2 mil, back when they made that announcement.

I really do think there's a ton of potential for the portable line of games to be even bigger sellers by bringing them closer to the main series.

3 million for Sunbreak. That probably means the game was already a little higher than 2 mil, back when they made that announcement.

I really do think there's a ton of potential for the portable line of games to be even bigger sellers by bringing them closer to the main series.

I think that, considering how the "home version" obviously has more appeal on PC, being bigger than this sales wise is almost impossible

I also think that being the portale one usually the more experimental version, this is part of its appeal amd surely is important for capcom to introduce possible new elements

That's damn good. Pretty speedy milestone after just getting the news of 2m

Pretty sure that is was already over 2 mil (the title of capcom pr page said "surpasses 2 mil") and that many people were arguing over 200/300k difference with 2 days left tracked compared to Iceborn..

Btw , impressive result

First update was >2m and <2,5m which means more than half million in a week. Word of mouth is caring it and is accelerating comparing to Iceborne.

For reference it seems at the end of September 2019 Iceborne was at 2.8 million which means Sunbreak is selling faster.

Yes it seems so
and is a great performance
probably the truth is that the 2 mil milestone was already about 2.2 or 2.3 or whatever, simply in between 2 and 2.5 mil
with 2 tracked days less than Iceborne
to basically is was already selling as fast as Iceborne out of the gate and it's accelerating (could be WoM or Switch strong presence/performance not only in the West but especially in Japan, comparted to PS4/Xbox one back in the days)

Wom will be great, and with what seems to be a solid post launch support this time (compared to the crappy one rise got, probably because of covid), it should keep on selling well for quite long.

Now is good. Well better wait and see then. Remember are just 2 platforms, imagine Rise sells better than World, with good support the battle will be interesting.

All that hand wringing and tepid talk for nothing it seems. It's now outperforming Iceborne, both in retention and in raw numbers.

Monster Hunter Rise: Sunbreak
  • PR 07.05.22 over 2m
  • PR 07.13.22 over 3m

Monster Hunter Rise
  • PR 03.29.21 over 4m
  • IR 03.31.21 4.8m
  • PR 04.05.21 over 5m
  • IR 06.30.21 7.3m
  • IR 09.30.21 7.5m
  • IR 12.31.21 7.7m
  • PR 01.18.22 over 8m (PC launch)
  • IR 03.31.22 9m
  • PR 07.05.22 over 10m (Sunbreak launch)

Monster Hunter: World - Iceborne
  • PR 09.13.19 over 2.5m
  • IR 09.30.19 2.8m
  • IR 12.31.19 3.2m
  • PR 01.13.20 over 4m (PC launch)
  • PR 03.13.20 over 5m
  • IR 03.31.20 5.2m
  • IR 06.30.20 5.8m
  • IR 09.30.20 6.6m
  • IR 12.31.20 7.2m
  • IR 03.31.21 7.7m
  • IR 06.30.21 8.2m
  • IR 09.30.21 8.5m
  • IR 12.31.21 8.8m
  • IR 03.31.22 9.2m

Monster Hunter: World
  • PR 01.29.18 over 5m
  • PR 02.09.18 over 6m
  • PR 03.05.18 over 7.5m
  • IR 03.31.18 7.9m
  • IR 06.30.18 8.3m
  • PR 08.20.18 over 10m (PC launch)
  • IR 09.30.18 10.7m
  • PR 10.11.18 over 10m
  • IR 12.31.18 11.7m
  • IR 03.31.19 12.4m
  • IR 06.30.19 13.1m
  • IR 09.30.19 14.1m (Iceborne launch)
  • IR 12.31.19 14.9m
  • PR 01.13.20 over 15m (PC Iceborne launch)
  • IR 03.31.20 15.7m
  • IR 06.30.20 16.1m
  • IR 09.30.20 16.4m
  • IR 12.31.20 16.8m
  • IR 03.31.21 17.1m
  • IR 06.30.21 17.3m
  • IR 09.30.21 17.5m
  • IR 12.31.21 17.8m
  • IR 03.31.22 18m

Back
Top Bottom