• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

The Splatoon series has now sold over 30 million copies

mazi

Scholar
(+0%)
with today's update to splatoon 3's sales, the series combined sales have now surpassed 30 million copies:
  • Splatoon (released in May 2015) - 4.95M as of March 2023
  • Splatoon 2 (released in July 2017) - 13.60M as of December 2022
  • Splatoon 3 (released in September 2022) - 11.71M as of December 2023
which brings the total to 30.26 million. pretty good for a new-ish IP.

Last edited:
with today's update to splatoon 3's sales, the series combined sales have now surpassed 30 million copies:
  • Splatoon (released in May 2015) - 4.95M as of March 2023
  • Splatoon 2 (released in June 2017) - 13.60M as of December 2022
  • Splatoon 3 (released in September 2022) - 11.71M as of December 2023
which brings the total to 30.26 million. pretty good for a new-ish IP.

So Splatoon 3 is less than 2 million away from Splatoon 2's lifetime numbers. Crazy given long it took Splatoon 2 to reach 13 million.

But congratulations to the series. Have over 1500 hours across all three games.

It is always impressive to me how the Wii U-game sold around 1/3 of S2 on a so tiny hardware base. There are even more S2 sales than Wii Us.

I'll be forever impressed by the original Splatoon releasing as a new, unproven IP in May 2015 on a dead console and selling 5 million copies.

It's hoenstly pretty nuts that even in Nintendo's weakest era, they were still able to make a new IP that's gone on to reach such inkredible heights.

Big shoutout to Japan for this - a shooter of all things being able to compete with the big dogs there is insane. I said this in another thread, but Splatoon 3 has sold 7 million units in Japan alone, beating out the original Super Mario Bros to become the #7 best selling game of all time there. With the Side Order expansion coming, Splatoon 3 is pretty much locked to outsell Pokemon Gold and Silver in Japan. That's insane.

Nearly 5 million overseas too, which is also a pretty good result! The game's approaching what the original Splatoon sold in it's lifetime with just the sales outside of by far it's biggest market. Pretty awesome stuff to see, especially for a franchise that isn't even 10 years old yet!

Great result!
This franchise has so much more potential, i could see also new possibilities with spin-offs and new game genres of this series because the world/atmosphere is so compelling .

I hope nintendo will produce another new original IP that can reach 10 million + gamers just like they managed to do with Splatoon and Ring fit adventure.

Back
Top Bottom