• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

UPDATE: Street Fighter 6 has surpassed 3M units (January 16th, 2024)

Oregano

Asano stan

From Twitter.

Translation via DeepL

#StreetFighter6 has surpassed 1,000,000 players🎉!

🎁🎁We have a gift to celebrate in-game, so start up #StreetFighter6 🎁!

Combine with ❗
㊗The series has surpassed 50 million copies ㊗.

Will update with English tweet if/when its posted

EDIT as of June 7th, 2023:

Capcom Co., Ltd. (Capcom) today announced that Street Fighter 6, the latest title in the storied Street Fighter series, has sold over 1 million units worldwide.

The first title in the Street Fighter series was released as an arcade game in 1987, followed by the global smash hit Street Fighter II in 1991 which generated mass excitement due to its innovative battle system. Even today, more than 35 years since Street Fighter first debuted, the series still enjoys immense popularity across the globe with cumulative sales for the series totaling over 50 million units worldwide. Further, in recent years the series has increased its presence as a driving force in the fighting game genre of esports.

Last edited by a moderator:
Expected more tbh

After all that buzz and good Steam numbers, even something like DMC5 did much better in the same timeframe

Series Sales was surpassing 49M as of 31 December 2022 , So The Game Sales is somewhere between 1.1M to 1.9M , Unless Capcom didn't apply Series Sales Page Rounding in the announcement here ( Per 1M ) , in that Case it will could be than 1.9M if the Actual Series Sales number is 51M and above

Although Personally I think If the game did 2M or more in 3-4 days , I think Capcom would had opted for Shipments/Digital Units headline instead

Last edited:
There's a special spot in Hell for that one PR manager who first shared "players" numbers instead of actual sales.
i think it would have done better if it didn’t share headlines with diablo
Post automatically merged:

As far as I know the game wasn’t given away for free or included in a service, so why are they using player numbers?

I actually said it had sold 1m in the title of the thread before I realised...

i think it would have done better if it didn’t share headlines with diablo
Post automatically merged:

As far as I know the game wasn’t given away for free or included in a service, so why are they using player numbers?

If I have to Guess personally , The game didn't surpass 2M in that Timeframe ( or whatever number didn't satisfy Capcom in that timeframe ) and they wanted a PR for First Week , So 1M Players felt the more flashy headline

Players and sales are very different, it needs official PR statement from Capcom. In any case, first week players are between 1 and 1,5m.

Last edited:
so between 1 and 1.49 million copies sold?
I don't know why (maybe its multiplatform release?) but I was expectig more: could have Diablo IV affected its launch sales?

Doesn’t seem like a very high number, especially considering it’s available on all 3 major platforms. Not too mention it must have had a larger budget than SFV.

I'm having trouble seeing how this is a bad number like some are suggesting. It's 1 mil players in ~3 days, coming off of a less-than-stellar initial reception to the last SF release. Unless you were expecting it to do double or triple the numbers of SFV right out of the gate, that's a perfectly reasonable figure, one that will keep growing as time goes on.

I'm willing to give it more than a handful of days before I say it's an underwhelming performance. The nearest SF series metric that I could see is SFIV's 3 million sales in one month. I'll wait to see if it can hit that before being concerned.

so between 1 and 1.49 million copies sold?
I don't know why (maybe its multiplatform release?) but I was expectig more: could have Diablo IV affected its launch sales?
1 million players is not 1 million copies. Let's say you have 2 accounts on your PS, and each of them plays SF6 - that's 2 players, but only one copy.

And as I understand it, multiple accounts is a very common thing on consoles, which is why the use of "players" is a problem, and is often seen as a way to make numbers seem more impressive than they would have been otherwise.

I still do not understand why something like this is not on Switch if even with pared back graphics. Mortal Kombat has done fairly well on Switch if I understand correctly and there is no reason not to have this there. It looks cool and my siblings and I would certainly have bought it

Did I miss something?

Console version is really that bad?
I'm confused about that as well, I've been playing the PS5 version all weekend and have no problem finding other Playstation players in both the battle hub and ranked matches. I would say about half my online matches have been with Playstation players in fact.

1 million players is not 1 million copies. Let's say you have 2 accounts on your PS, and each of them plays SF6 - that's 2 players, but only one copy.

And as I understand it, multiple accounts is a very common thing on consoles, which is why the use of "players" is a problem, and is often seen as a way to make numbers seem more impressive than they would have been otherwise.

Oh, if so we can assueme it didn't hit the 1mil mark (in terms of sales) at launch

Any particuliar source on that?

Yeah would be nice to have some references (for both claims: I've seen it pretty "active" among console-owners message board communities for example)

The thing is that we don't know Capcom definition of Players , Is it Shipments + Digital copies + Players who launched the game who shared account , Is it Sold-In copies + Players who launched the game who shared account , Is it only Players who launched the game whether owners or shared accounts

Lots of variables to guess its sales

The thing is that we don't know Capcom definition of Players , Is it Shipments + Digital copies + Players who launched the game who shared account , Is it Sold-In copies + Players who launched the game who shared account , Is it only Players who launched the game whether owners or shared accounts

Lots of variables to guess its sales
Maybe they also acount the number of players on the Demo who know

Last edited:
No clue on the part about consoles but steamdb shows a peak of more than 70k players for SF6 on Steam, and that's a really strong showing there:

Iirc Tekken 7 did 18k.

While Street Fighter 6 did relatively strong on Steam CCU , but I want to comment on comparing it to Tekken 7 Peak CCU

Tekken 7 released on steam on 2017 , Street Fightet 6 released 2023 , from 2017 to 2023 lots of factors changed that make newer entries have bigger numbers than if it got released in older years , Examples are The wider implementation of Pre-Load , the increase of internet speeds all over the world from 2017 to 2023 ( I was downloading at 600KB/s at 2017 , now my download speed is 3MB/s ) and i am not sure on the next one but I think availability to purchase for some regions like China

Not saying that Tekken 7 would outdo SF6 had it released in 2023 , both has chances to outdo each other , but just wanted to point out my POV

I think if tekken 8 released in 2024 at max then it would be a more direct comparison with SF6

Nothing from their internal forecast per quarter ? We got a lot of data on their whole pipeline because of the hack.

SF6 probably wasn't far enough along to have that kind of data yet. I'd say just re-use the 2mil expectation they had from SFV's first quarter.

Closest nearest example is RE7 which Capcom hoped it will sell 10M lifetime , had a 4M forecast for its first quarter ( First Two Months )

Different times of course and Capcom strategies in 2017 is different than 2023 , and SF is a Live Service title while was a Traditional Single player game , but thats the closest example we have

Totally Random Guess , I think their internal forecast could be 3M in first two months , and since the game is released in the last month in the quarter then their forecast for first quarter might be 2.5M

This seems like a solid start, and will have much better WoM than SFV had given all of the problems the later had at and with its release.

SF6 probably wasn't far enough along to have that kind of data yet. I'd say just re-use the 2mil expectation they had from SFV's first quarter.

Closest nearest example is RE7 which Capcom hoped it will sell 10M lifetime , had a 4M forecast for its first quarter ( First Two Months )

Different times of course and Capcom strategies in 2017 is different than 2023 , and SF is a Live Service title while was a Traditional Single player game , but thats the closest example we have

Totally Random Guess , I think their internal forecast could be 3M in first two months , and since the game is released in the last month in the quarter then their forecast for first quarter might be 2.5M
Found the leaked forecast, it was 2.5M for its first quarter in the market.

However, it was intended to launch earlier, so there's no way to know whether launch quarter means 1, 2 or 3 months.

Street Fighter VI <(?) 1M in 3 days on PS5/PS4/XBS/PC
Street Fighter V - 1.4M in 1,5 month on PS4/PC

thanks for the summary
with the "unclear" (I was writing "shady", but wasn't fair) definition of "players", I'd say that we will need awhile before having a clearer picture

Not the one you asked but I have found this at least.

So, not enough in UK to get the top-spot. Doesn't bode too well.

Sure it's pitted against TotK, but you'd have to think that should be beatable in week 4.
there's a lot of asterisks to this so I don't think this is telling of anything yet

Sure it's pitted against TotK, but you'd have to think that should be beatable in week 4.

For the type of game SF6 is, I expect there to be pretty sizeable digital. We'll know by the end of the week when digital comes in how well the game opened.

Capcom drops prices like crazy. It’ll get to 10 million with their consistent support of the game and impulse buy territory

This is not a source for the unverifiable claim completely made up by the @Bodokoh. Thanks, but no thanks.

Not incredible numbers, but I have no doubt it will get to the 10 million Capcom expects, It will take years to get there and multiple versions.

Wonder how different the budget is for this compared to TEKKEN or MK given that they are striving (heh) for kind of similar numbers.

Getting actual sales numbers for the Battle Network Collection but only Player numbers for SFVI is wild. I expect they'll do the same for Exoprimal.

Yea Exoprimal is a given they will use players numbers for its launch period and even the first few months since it is gamepass day 1 , unless it by miracle manage to break 1M sales in launch period

Benji posted

I’m assuming that’s whats being referenced.

So you're the second person who quoted me posting on @Bodokoh's behalf trying to offer a source for his 100 percent made up claim. You guys are scrambling trying to defend nonsense. How about letting the man speak for himself, because I can promise you none of y'all here have a source for his statement.

SF6 couldn’t best the most anticipated game of the year on a weekly sales chart? This isn’t evidence of anything.
Neither is concurrent Steam users.
The issue with both data points is how they’re being used to extrapolate some poor console sales performance, when all both these data points suggest is:

1) TotK is selling REALLY well
2) SF6 is doing well on Steam

Anything else requires an additional, but so far absent, data point to verify the claim.

Back
Top Bottom