• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

Sony announces PS+ price increase on 9/6: $79.99 Essential; $134.99 Extra; $159.99 Premium

Himura Kenshin

Enthusiast
From PS.blog,

We also wanted to let you know that starting September 6 we will be increasing the price for PlayStation Plus 12-month subscriptions globally across all benefit plans. This price adjustment will enable us to continue bringing high-quality games and value-added benefits to your PlayStation Plus subscription service.

Here are the new prices for PlayStation Plus 12-month subscription plans.

PlayStation Plus Essential 12-Month Subscription
79.99 USD | 71,99 Euro | 59.99 GBP | 6,800 Yen

PlayStation Plus Extra 12-Month Subscription
134.99 USD | 125,99 Euro | 99.99 GBP | 11,700 Yen

PlayStation Plus Premium 12-Month Subscription
159.99 USD | 151,99 Euro | 119.99 GBP | 13,900 Yen

The new prices for the 12-Month subscription will remain at a discounted rate when compared to purchasing the 1-Month or 3-Month subscriptions over a 12-month period.

For current 12-month subscribers, this price increase will not take effect until your next renewal date that occurs on or after November 6. However, any membership changes you make on or after September 6, such as upgrades, downgrades or buying additional time, will update your plan reflecting the new prices. You can change or cancel your subscription at any time, details here.

We’ll notify current subscribers of these changes via email and will have additional details on our website soon.

Subscription growth stalled so this is the way to increase the segment's revenue. Not a huge surprise but this is coming pretty quickly, and might have a negative impact on current subscribers.
Considering Sony stopped giving subscriber numbers in their last report, I wonder if we will even know what impact this might have on subscription numbers. These are pretty steep price increases so I feel at least some level of decrease will happen.

Here is what the price looked like when they announced the new tiers in 2022​

PlayStation Plus Essential​

Benefits

• Provides the same benefits that PlayStation Plus members are getting today, such as:
    • Two monthly downloadable games
    • Exclusive discounts
    • Cloud storage for saved games
    • Online multiplayer access
  • There are no changes for existing PlayStation Plus members in this tier.
Price* for PlayStation Plus Essential remains the same as the current price for PlayStation Plus.

• United States
    • $9.99 monthly / $24.99 quarterly / $59.99 yearly
  • Europe
    • €8.99 monthly / €24.99 quarterly / €59.99 yearly
  • United Kingdom
    • £6.99 monthly / £19.99 quarterly / £49.99 yearly
  • Japan
    • ¥850 monthly / ¥2,150 quarterly / ¥5,143 yearly

PlayStation Plus Extra​

Benefits

• Provides all the benefits from the Essential tier
  • Adds a catalog of up to 400* of the most enjoyable PS4 and PS5 games – including blockbuster hits from our PlayStation Studios catalog and third-party partners. Games in the Extra tier are downloadable for play.
Price*

• United States
    • $14.99 monthly / $39.99 quarterly / $99.99 yearly
  • Europe
    • €13.99 monthly / €39.99 quarterly / €99.99 yearly
  • United Kingdom
    • £10.99 monthly / £31.99 quarterly / £83.99 yearly
  • Japan
    • ¥1,300 monthly / ¥3,600 quarterly / ¥8,600 yearly

PlayStation Plus Premium**​

Benefits

• Provides all the benefits from Essential and Extra tiers
  • Adds up to 340* additional games, including:
    • PS3 games available via cloud streaming
    • A catalog of beloved classic games available in both streaming and download options from the original PlayStation, PS2 and PSP generations
  • Offers cloud streaming access for original PlayStation, PS2, PSP and PS4 games offered in the Extra and Premium tiers in markets** where PlayStation Now is currently available. Customers can stream games using PS4 and PS5 consoles, and PC.***
  • Time-limited game trials will also be offered in this tier, so customers can try select games before they buy.
Price*

• United States
    • $17.99 monthly / $49.99 quarterly / $119.99 yearly
  • Europe
    • €16.99 monthly / €49.99 quarterly / €119.99 yearly
  • United Kingdom
    • £13.49 monthly / £39.99 quarterly / £99.99 yearly
  • Japan
    • ¥1,550 – monthly / ¥4,300 – quarterly / ¥10,250 yearly
  • PlayStation Plus Deluxe (Select Markets) For markets without cloud streaming, PlayStation Plus Deluxe will be offered at a lower price compared to Premium, and includes a catalog of beloved classic games from the original PlayStation, PS2 and PSP generations to download and play, along with time-limited game trials. Benefits from Essential and Extra tiers are also included. Local pricing will vary by market.

Do we have the new prices for the 1month and 3 months tiers ?
nope this is what's at the bottom

"The new prices for the 12-Month subscription will remain at a discounted rate when compared to purchasing the 1-Month or 3-Month subscriptions over a 12-month period.

For current 12-month subscribers, this price increase will not take effect until your next renewal date that occurs on or after November 6. However, any membership changes you make on or after September 6, such as upgrades, downgrades or buying additional time, will update your plan reflecting the new prices."

Do we have the new prices for the 1month and 3 months tiers ?
Stay the same.
Just your discount buying the yearly option will be even lower now.
Maybe they want to get to a monthly payment only in the future. Just like Netflix. No discount for subbing for a full year.
But at some point you risk people subbing just for a month and cancel if they are away for a while

Took Microsoft 6 years to raise the price and Sony only one and that’s with Microsoft having first party day and date.

and with a weaker line up for the first couple of years of the Series generation
I haven’t seen much of a good PS+ lineup for the whole generation especially at the premium tier. We get maybe 1 or 2 PS1 titles and PSP titles a month on a good month and even ps5 streaming wouldn’t justify current price let alone increased.

Subscription growth stalled so this is the way to increase the segment's revenue. Not a huge surprise but this is coming pretty quickly, and might have a negative impact on current subscribers.

I agree. We will see in their next financial reports how the increase in revenue vs possible decrease of subs will work out

It's heartening to know that even in these hard times of inflation and an uncertain financial future, Sony is making sure its servers are treated right. Livable wages, great benefits, parental leave, even stock options... These costs are going to give those hardworking servers what they've always deserved.

#serversolidarity

I haven’t seen much of a good PS+ lineup for the whole generation especially at the premium tier. We get maybe 1 or 2 PS1 titles and PSP titles a month on a good month and even ps5 streaming wouldn’t justify current price let alone increased.
PS+ at Extra was decent at times. Not extraordinary but, there was a decent selection especially considering they got a lot of what came off of Game Pass. Premium is definitely not worth it in the long term especially considering several of the newer PSP games have been remakes of PS1 games.

All i want is a tier to play online games from to time, that's it. Paying $80 just to play online and get 3 mid-tier games a month is rip off.

I expect price increases here and there, but this is a mistake, and they didn’t attach it to any announcement or improvement.

All i want is a tier to play online games from to time, that's it. Paying $80 just to play online and get 3 mid-tier games a month is rip off.

I expect price increases here and there, but this is a mistake, and they didn’t attach it to any announcement or improvement.
that would be a low revenue, high retention model. but that's antithetical to modern capitalism. shame that "safe" models aren't seen as viable these days

I figured PS+ prices would go up at some point but a 33-35% increase is quite steep. I think Microsoft "only" increased the price of the various GamePass tiers by ~10% earlier this year.

Huge L

For online play $80 a year is too much
Extra for $135 a year is now more expensive than Game pass console, and the value is not even close.
Premium for $160 a year better start seeing some releases from PlayStation studios day one, is coming close to game pass ultimate price without offering the same value.

What is Playstation doing here?
I understand Welfare point that subs are now stagnant and they need to make money, but this much without adding any value? Rough!

that would be a low revenue, high retention model. but that's antithetical to modern capitalism. shame that "safe" models aren't seen as viable these days

With stagnating subscription numbers last reported several quarters ago, and nothing reported recently, this is Sony's play.

An easy win for Microsoft here would be to come out and state "Game Pass prices are staying the game" then successfully launch Starfield.

In my opinion, they want to either increase their income due to the stagnation of subscriber growth, or compensate for any losses.
Or they actually want to improve the quality of the games released on it and sign contracts with bigger games from day one, in order to increase the appeal to customers, which will eventually lead to an increase in the number of subscribers.

Huge L

Extra for $135 a year is now more expensive than Game pass console, and the value is not even close.
Premium for $160 a year better start seeing some releases from PlayStation studios day one, is coming close to game pass ultimate price without offering the same value.

I understand Welfare point that subs are now stagnant and they need to make money, but this much without adding any value? Rough!

Definitely fits jim ryans vision of wanting PS to be seen as a luxury brand.

PS is no longer a cheaper alternative to PC gaming with $80 a year multiplayer and $70 games.

Ryan better hope that they get a mega hit exclusive with this big wave of GaaS games hes greenlighted. PS brand is strong but hes really skating in dangerous territory here, we’ve seem console gamers switch platforms many times when a platform holder throws too much crap at them.

This will make Premium a truly dead tier and I think most Extra subs will downgrade while a good chunk of Essential subs drop out entirely. They're going to have to restructure the whole thing next year imo.

They should probably do an a la carte model rather than tiers. The basic sub for $70-80 and then you could do any add on (Extra, Classic, Cloud) for another set price each.

This seems quite steep... But people want to play their CoD's and Fifa's online, so people will probably pay up. But possible a downgrade.

Ryan better hope that they get a mega hit exclusive with this big wave of GaaS games hes greenlighted. PS brand is strong but hes really skating in dangerous territory here, we’ve seem console gamers switch platforms many times when a platform holder throws too much crap at them.
I was wondering about this. PS is such a strong brand right now, I wonder what it takes for the brand to actually take a hit seeing that hardware sales are good even without a slew of big hits and exclusives.

This seems quite steep... But people want to play their CoD's and Fifa's online, so people will probably pay up. But possible a downgrade.

I was wondering about this. PS is such a strong brand right now, I wonder what it takes for the brand to actually take a hit seeing that hardware sales are good even without a slew of big hits and exclusives.
Really there are a few things that could damage the brand. One of them just happens to be incredible competition. Most decisions don't lead to decline on their own so long as people can play the games they want. $600 in 2006 was one way to ensure the console just never got into people's hands. I imagine increasing the barrier for online play would have some kind of consequence

Really there are a few things that could damage the brand. One of them just happens to be incredible competition. Most decisions don't lead to decline on their own so long as people can play the games they want. $600 in 2006 was one way to ensure the console just never got into people's hands. I imagine increasing the barrier for online play would have some kind of consequence
Yep definitely. In my last post I said people will pay up simply because they want to play certain games online. But that was before I realized how steep the increase actually is.

The increases are just too steep. Premium being only $10 less a year than GPU monthly, and the same price as quarterly, is actually nuts.

edit: ack looked at the discounted prices for GPU on Amazon by mistake, full MSRP is a good bit higher. But there are also steeper discounts, CDKeys is like $30/3 months.

Last edited:
That's way too big of an increase in price. I'll likely still stay subscribed since Extra has been great for the past six months, but they need to add value if they want to maintain their subscriber numbers.

Greedflaction. 20%, holly s***. I don't trust them on an increase on the quality of the service. If that was the case, they would already announced something related.

We are entering the milk phase with these subscription prices, now that the plattform holder knows that most of their core audience will just go along with it. Seems like a hefty increase when you consider the lineup of provided games in the last 12 months.

Huge L

well there are things to be said..
The plus essential is true that now it will now cost 80 dollars a year against the 60 dollars a year of Gamepass core, but it will still offer 2 relatively new games a month something that the Gamepass core does not offer.

Extra now is only like 2-3 dollars more than Gamepass Console, doesn't have the first party at launch but offers a great game catalog anyway and offers online multiplayer something Gamepass Console doesn't offer. So as a value we are there, depends a lot on what kind of gamer you are, if you play a lot online the extra makes more sense than the Gamepass console.

the premium I agree that at the moment it is a service that makes no sense to exist..

I still say that the subsription service model is not sustainable ,and prices will always go up...

Last edited:
well there are things to be said..
The plus essential is true that now it will now cost 80 dollars a year against the 60 dollars a year of Gamepass core, but it will still offer 2 relatively new games a month something that the Gamepass core does not offer.

Extra now is only like 2-3 dollars more than Gamepass Console, doesn't have the first party at launch but offers a great game catalog anyway and offers online multiplayer something Gamepass Console doesn't offer. So as a value we are there, depends a lot on what kind of gamer you are, if you play a lot online the extra makes more sense than the Gamepass console.

the premium I agree that at the moment it is a service that makes no sense to exist..

I still say that the subsription service model is not sustainable ,and prices will always go up...
GP Core will offer a selection of 25+ games with new additions 2-3x per year.

This is the announced list so far:
  1. Among Us
  2. Descenders
  3. Dishonored 2
  4. Doom Eternal
  5. Fable Anniversary
  6. Fallout 4
  7. Fallout 76
  8. Forza Horizon 4
  9. Gears 5
  10. Grounded
  11. Halo 5: Guardians
  12. Halo Wars 2
  13. Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice
  14. Human Fall Flat
  15. Inside
  16. Ori & The Will of the Wisps
  17. Psychonauts 2
  18. State of Decay 2
  19. The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited

Well, it is a trade-off -> 30% increase means that they won't lose revenue unless more than 30% unsubscribe and I don't think that the third of subscribers will unsubscribe. So it will increase. And they also stopped reporting PS+ numbers.

Interesting that there is no media backlash, but well...not that unexpected.

Companies are pushing people that just want to play online to pay higher prices for a selection of games they don't care about.

Well, it is a trade-off -> 30% increase means that they won't lose revenue unless more than 30% unsubscribe and I don't think that the third of subscribers will unsubscribe. So it will increase. And they also stopped reporting PS+ numbers.

Interesting that there is no media backlash, but well...not that unexpected.
No exactly since 1.3*0.7 = 0.91 so in that scenario you would lose 9% in total revenue.

For the move to generate additional revenue, less than 23% of players unsubbing is needed.

No exactly since 1.3*0.7 = 0.91 so in that scenario you would lose 9% in total revenue.

For the move to generate additional revenue, less than 23% of players unsubbing is needed.
I think the amount of people who will unsubscribe will be minor. 5% at best, but probably 2-3%. So they will generate more revenue with this move.

The Sony corps delved too greedily and too deep. You know what they awoke in the darkness of gaming forums... shadow and flame.

I will be honest, this is something that you have seeing alot of the "TV" (Netflix, Disney+, etc.) streaming services alot and Sony is not isolated from that. I doubt that they will be the only one looking at how much revenue they can squeeze out of folks.

I think the amount of people who will unsubscribe will be minor. 5% at best, but probably 2-3%. So they will generate more revenue with this move.
Unsubbing isn't the only risk though, subscribers can downgrade to a cheaper tier (or two!). It also doesn't help Sony if a significant amount of people who were subbed to Extra (at $100 before) decide to move down to Essential (at $80 now).

That's actually insane... But the worst part about this is that unless they bleed around 10 million subscribers or have a total exodus from Extra/Premium to Essential (which are both very unlikely scenarios) they will still see a hefty increase in revenue.

And with how laser-focused companies are on YoY growth recently, this is actually gonna end up doing the intended effect of pleasing shareholders.

I wonder what the ripple effects of having a potentially smaller active userbase for their online services will be, maybe games that are mainly played online will sell less? I doubt it. In any case this will achieve exactly what they want, numbers that look better than the stagnated subscription stats they've been presenting for a while.

Btw, I'll definitely stop subscribing anually and, consequently, stop playing any online games on playstation. I'll still subscribe to Extra for the monthly price once or twice a year to play through a bunch of games from the catalogue.

I’m letting my sub lapse

This is bonkers for even the most basic of multiplayer access

Back
Top Bottom