• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

SIE is laying off 900 people, London Studio closing down entirely

To be clear I don't give a rat's ass about a Twisted Metal game that never existed

I care that this ceaseless machine treats people like cogs to be replaced to manipulate a number that doesn't reflect a meaningful reality

What were the 12 announced, again? Someone give me a rundown. Will be interesting to see how this push plays out.
They never were fully announced but, I think the other known ones were Helldivers II, the Horizon multiplayer game, Concord (Firewalk studios) and Fairgame$ (Haven studios). Unsure where Marathon and the Horizon MMO (Nexon) land in here too since I don't remember how old the quote with that number is.

The whole situation sucks, we knew it was coming given the Insomniac leaks and given the current margins.

Curious to see where they will go from here, I am sure employee morale will be affected greatly.
At least this puts an end to the arms race between the big video game companies for the time being.

Record-breaking revenues are pointless when profit margins are at historical lows. This was expected from the way SIE handled their business strategy.

After the December and January sales in which the PS5 was 500 Euros across EU (a 50 euro reduction and you could find also the SM2 game in the bundle) and their recent Financial report about low margins i was thinking we will not see PS5 sales for a while......
Well a couple days after the financial report the PS5 is sold at 470 euros and now i know where they will get the "margins"

That PlayStation Studios’ London Studio will close in its entirety;
That is a HUGE loss.
We watched Sony's clout in Japan crater with the lost of Japan Studio
It's effect on Europe broadly and the UK locally can be directed solely to London Studio. With the Studio gone, Sony's presence in Europe is at a cross-roads.

Damn that must hurt.

The Twisted Metal GaaS game was the project I had the least amount of confidence in.
For me this was when it was clear their GAAS was a mess. Management clearly dictated down that everyone needed a GAAS idea. How no one calculated the scale and spending in the market is beyond me. It was totally unattainable.

Destiny 2 meanwhile is showing the desperate need to build an off ramp which is just going to cost even more.

What were the 12 announced, again? Someone give me a rundown. Will be interesting to see how this push plays out.

Not all of the 12 were announced.

This is the cancelled list so far:

Insomniac - Spider-Man MP Project - Cancelled(Caveat that it was at the very initial stages when it was axed)
Lucid Games--->Firesprite Studios - Twisted Metal - Cancelled
Deviation Games - Most likely Cancelled(Mass Layoffs at the Studio)
Naughty Dog - The Last of Us Online - Cancelled
London Studios - GaaS game - Cancelled(Studio Closure)

Guerilla Games - Horizon MP - ???(Layoffs at Guerilla)

Edit:

At least this puts an end to the arms race between the big video game companies for the time being.
I'm not sure it does tbh, at least with Sony it seems like the GAAS are mostly getting the squeeze and not the AAAA tentpoles.

Over at MS they're slowly diversify and trying to move to services, but I'm not sure AAAA content gets deprioritized (indeed the baby steps to multi imply they're looking to do the opposite and get those AAAA returns finally). Also MS is still on the prowl for acquisitions and that could accelerate as values continue coming back down to Earth. I'd guess Sony is probably out of that game though (at least on the multi-B pub scale) after Bungie proving to be a bit of a lemon.

I wonder how VR played into this, it seems like PSVR2 and all the games they started making for it was a colossal failure. And now they are shedding VR games and live-service studios.

I think VR was killed internally a while ago tbh.
This is more on having too many GaaS in dev, weak margins, and Totoki doing cuts after he noticed structural problems.

Yeah, the PC announcement definitely felt like an off-ramp. In retrospect PSVR2 probably shouldn't have made it to release.
I think it was part of their margin strategy. Sony have gone very Apple in upselling hardware to PlayStation customers but unlike Apple it just hasn’t cut into enough of their user base. Portal confuses me - I think they could have got more from its asking price but even that is getting very limited interest.

Their sales strategy is failing which is why they need to cut costs ultimately.

I would like to be in a major publishers room right now - the industry is gathering a lot of risk. One major platform is now moving away from exclusivity, another is focusing on margins rather than unit sales and the third they have not ignored but been happily skipping is delaying the system which could have brought them onboard.

2024 going to be a rough one and we might see some decisions which historically look odd for this part of a generational cycle.

Sad and angry with the news, but when they anounced that Totoki was taking control of the division it seemed a matter of time. Sigh, there is nothing worse than put CFOs in charge of creative divisions. Jim was/is bad, but CFOs are always the worst.

Also i dont get the fires at Imsonmiac and Guerrilla. The first one was carrying the PS5 by themselves and being very succesfull. I guess actual AAA budgets+IP fees is too much of a risk, but still the one paying for this is gonna be Ratchet and Clank IP. Its a no sense.

And what exactly are they cutting in Guerrilla? If the Horizon MP is going on and the SP is definitely going on too, where is the cut coming from? The Decima engine team? Because that would be incredibly stupid.

It's gonna be a long and brutal year for the industry.
2024 going to be a rough one and we might see some decisions which historically look odd for this part of a generational cycle.
That has been the forcast for a bit and it doesn't seem to be a digit wrong.

I would like to be in a major publishers room right now
So would I. That would be quite the meeting with ALOT of grumbling. They all bought into the idea that growth is infinite, when it clearly isn't and they have been dumping alot of ideas on credit.
That was going to come to a head at some point, and a tightening economy is clearly not helping.
One major platform is now moving away from exclusivity,
It is? I mean, a lot of folks made quite a bit of hay over four titles going cross-platform. I don't see Microsoft giving away exclusivity as much as they are profit hunting.
Which is still pretty bad, just not what we forum users were expecting.

another is focusing on margins rather than unit sales
Which is clearly a structural problem, those margins have been baked in since the launch of the PS5 and the layoffs can't fix that... It only really to get more control of expenses burning at a high rate but as it stands now, SIE losses even as they win. And Sony Group is rather tired of that.
and the third they have not ignored but been happily skipping is delaying the system which could have brought them onboard.
That is on them, looking at the install base of Nintendo's Switch and going "Nah, we don't need that money." Fine, I say, Nintendo has NO obligation to give those companies a life line for their bad decisions. They get to live with the fact that they have locked themselves out of a lucrative platform, and forcing themself to sustain over in PC/Steam land where the competition is cutthroat.

I think it was part of their margin strategy. Sony have gone very Apple in upselling hardware to PlayStation customers but unlike Apple it just hasn’t cut into enough of their user base. Portal confuses me - I think they could have got more from its asking price but even that is getting very limited interest.

Their sales strategy is failing which is why they need to cut costs ultimately.

I would like to be in a major publishers room right now - the industry is gathering a lot of risk. One major platform is now moving away from exclusivity, another is focusing on margins rather than unit sales and the third they have not ignored but been happily skipping is delaying the system which could have brought them onboard.

Portal's a weird product in general, it's functionality feels artificially limited in odd ways (no direct cloud streaming, no native PS1/PSP playback, chained to a PS5) and the supply has been minuscule. Part of me thinks Portal could be bigger than it is and I sort of wonder if it might be a test run for a more fully featured "Portal Pro" down the line?

One thing Portal does have over VR2 though is that it's not software dependant. It's basically a like a controller or accessory while VR2 by it's nature necessitates being a distinct subplatform. That's partially why the PC compatibility feels like an off-ramp too, as it's clear Sony themselves aren't going to sink more into game R&D on it.

, chained to a PS5
I don’t think this is that odd when you take the ‘Apple’ perspective into mind. It’s a product to be sold and marketed at PS5 as an up sell on the hardware as well as likely hoping it drivers user engagement and thus sales. Going outside of that market just means greater marketing spending which isn’t what it’s designed for.

And what exactly are they cutting in Guerrilla? If the Horizon MP is going on and the SP is definitely going on too, where is the cut coming from? The Decima engine team? Because that would be incredibly stupid.

Jason Schrier has confirmed the Guerrilla MP game is still being worked on.
I would expect that in the case of Guerrilla it's probably a mix of talent working on the MP and Horizon 3.

They never were fully announced but, I think the other known ones were Helldivers II, the Horizon multiplayer game, Concord (Firewalk studios) and Fairgame$ (Haven studios). Unsure where Marathon and the Horizon MMO (Nexon) land in here too since I don't remember how old the quote with that number is.

Not all of the 12 were announced.

This is the cancelled list so far:

Insomniac - Spider-Man MP Project - Cancelled(Caveat that it was at the very initial stages when it was axed)

Guerilla Games - Horizon MP - ???(Layoffs at Guerilla)

Edit:

Okay, so we have:

- Helldivers 2 (massive surprise hit)
- Concord (due 2024)
- Fairgame$ (due by March 31, 2026)
- Marathon (due by March 31, 2026)
- Horizon multiplayer project (still alive despite layoffs, due by March 31, 2026)
- Spider-Verse multiplayer project (cancelled)
- Twisted Metal multiplayer project (cancelled)
- Deviation Games's project (likely cancelled)
- The Last of Us Factions (cancelled)
- London Studios's project (cancelled)

So out of the 12 live-service games initially planned, only 6 will come out. And out of the 10 listed here, 5 are still planned to be coming while the other 5 have been semingly cancelled. So I guess there's one more announcement for them to make.

In any case, this is already proving to be a massive waste of time and resources, nto to mention this seriously upends the livelihoods of hundreds of people. How fare are we to hitting 2023's layoff total? Cause damn...

Sad and angry with the news, but when they anounced that Totoki was taking control of the division it seemed a matter of time. Sigh, there is nothing worse than put CFOs in charge of creative divisions. Jim was/is bad, but CFOs are always the worst.
Ok, in what way does Totoki have control of what is happening right now? A month away from when he takes full control?
I have no opinion over the man, but this sacking is not his to wear.... It's Jim Ryan's. Jim's choices lead to 900+ folks losing their jobs, his direction of SIE as lead to the margins being so thin that the Group has to act.

Totoki will likely have his head deep into SIE's ledgers when he does take control and honestly, someone needs to be.... Playstation can't keep tossing money at a wall. It is painful that an "accountant" has the reigns of Playstation, sure but it's been clear for a while that Playstation can't keep acting like it's 1996 with a Sony Group with money to burn. Those days are long gone.
Part of me thinks Portal could be bigger than it is and I sort of wonder if it might be a test run for a more fully featured "Portal Pro" down the line?
Please no... the rumor mill is already going strong for a PS5 Pro, adding Portal to that mess is not going to help.

1. helldivers 2
2. Concord
3. Marathon
4. Fairgames
5. Horizon

Thats 10. Other 2 were likely cancelled early on or maybe Sony included MLB the show in GAAS category.

this is already proving to be a massive waste of time and resources, nto to mention this seriously upends the livelihoods of hundreds of people. How fare are we to hitting 2023's layoff total? Cause damn...

2023 - 10.5k~
2024 - 7.1k~

We're going to breeze past that number in a few months at this rate...

Okay, so we have:

- Helldivers 2 (massive surprise hit)
- Concord (due 2024)
- Fairgame$ (due by March 31, 2026)
- Marathon (due by March 31, 2026)
- Horizon multiplayer project (still alive despite layoffs, due by March 31, 2026)
- Spider-Verse multiplayer project (cancelled)
- Twisted Metal multiplayer project (cancelled)
- Deviation Games's project (likely cancelled)
- The Last of Us Factions (cancelled)
- London Studios's project (cancelled)

So out of the 12 live-service games initially planned, only 6 will come out. And out of the 10 listed here, 5 are still planned to be coming while the other 5 have been semingly cancelled. So I guess there's one more announcement for them to make.

In any case, this is already proving to be a massive waste of time and resources, nto to mention this seriously upends the livelihoods of hundreds of people. How fare are we to hitting 2023's layoff total? Cause damn...
From what i read guerilla has a different multiplayer project

horizon is ncsoft mostly

Marathon had a terrible playstest if we believe the rumours, so that's also probably on the choppin block.

and Fairgame$, i know we have seen nothing about it, but im not feeling it.

Last edited:
From what i read guerilla has a different multiplayer project

horizon is ncsoft mostly

The NCsoft MMO would not be out by 2026, development schedule of any MMO, especially in the current landscape is probably something like 8+ years. There's a reason nobody is really attempting to make such costly project beside the Korean pubs.

Sony really needs to diversify their output if they're willing to sustain any semblance of a functional pipeline. They'll always need their AAA blockbusters, as their brand was built on that and it would frankly be a loss to the industry if the publishers who can afford those kinds of games stopped making them... But they'll also need to improve heavily on having multiple smaller titles every year, in order to both keep the userbase engaged and also to have a better revenue stream.

At the start of this gen I thought they were improving on that front, with titles like Sackboy (which sold amazing, as per the leak) and Returnal... But then there was very little of that (if any at all). The layoffs don't paint a good picture on that front though, as those positions could've been maintained and put to work on interesting and reasonably budgeted projects...

At this point it would probably make much more sense financially o have 5 games that sold like Sackboy each year instead of a single juggernaut that costs 300 million to make. It would also spread the risk around and afford them more margin to have failures, which also improves on the creativity of projects.

But we'll see what they do after that... But it doesn't look good.

Quite the cowardly move by executives, hiding themselves from blame.

This is entirely on Sony and their mismanagement. Who knows just how far this'll go. I feel for the workers

1. helldivers 2
2. Concord
3. Marathon
4. Fairgames
5. Horizon

Thats 10. Other 2 were likely cancelled early on or maybe Sony included MLB the show in GAAS category.

It does seem like MLB the show was included in 12 GAAS

3982526-screenshot2022-05-27at12.30.00am.png

At this point only Horizon MP game is left to be announced. 5 GAAS games got cancelled.

1. Helldivers 2
2. MLB Show 24
3. Concord
4. Fairgames
5. Marathon
6. Horizon MP
7. MLB Show 25

These are Sony 7 GAAS games that will release by 2026.

Ok, in what way does Totoki have control of what is happening right now? A month away from when he takes full control?
I have no opinion over the man, but this sacking is not his to wear.... It's Jim Ryan's. Jim's choices lead to 900+ folks losing their jobs, his direction of SIE as lead to the margins being so thin that the Group has to act.

Totoki will likely have his head deep into SIE's ledgers when he does take control and honestly, someone needs to be.... Playstation can't keep tossing money at a wall. It is painful that an "accountant" has the reigns of Playstation, sure but it's been clear for a while that Playstation can't keep acting like it's 1996 with a Sony Group with money to burn. Those days are long gone.
Totoki taked the rol of Chairman of SIE in october, and have been having meetings with the PS Studios to see where he could reduce cost. The man, said by himself, is obsesed with growing margins. And is not like im saying that Jim Ryan has no blame here.

And to grow margins in gaming, you need to invest first, and is gonna take years to show result due to the nature of game development. I can see the sense of cancel Twisteed Metal, considering after 2-3 years the game still didnt get greenlight, but cant see how cutting in studios like Inmsomniac or Guerrilla is gonna end up with SIE making more money.

Also we are seeing the developers beeing cuts, not the executives that take these decisions in the first place.

What a terrible year for the industry.

Many felt it was either going to be London or MM that would get closed and it seems it was the latter. Which sucks since I was interested in both of their games and will now never see what London was cooking beyond those two concept arts.

That is a HUGE loss.
We watched Sony's clout in Japan crater with the lost of Japan Studio
It's effect on Europe broadly and the UK locally can be directed solely to London Studio. With the Studio gone, Sony's presence in Europe is at a cross-roads.

Damn that must hurt.

London Studio has been long dormant as far as console players are concerned for well over a decade

Also, it's really weird how 4 out of the 6 studios they closed in the past years were in the UK. Is it unreasonably more expensive to keep a studio (salaries, etc.) there than other places?

Totoki taked the rol of Chairman of SIE in october, and have been having meetings with the PS Studios to see where he could reduce cost. The man, said by himself, is obsesed with growing margin
Yeah but that doesn't given him control here. As I said, this is JIM's failure, Jim gets to wear that into retirement. Totoki is not welding an ax here, not yet at least. What he has signaled is that, their is no savor here... the Group is done with handing out a lifeline if Playstation runs into trouble, and it's in trouble.
And to grow margins in gaming, you need to invest first, and is gonna take years to show result due to the nature of game development. I can see the sense of cancel Twisteed Metal, considering after 2-3 years the game still didnt get greenlight, but cant see how cutting in studios like Inmsomniac or Guerrilla is gonna end up with SIE making more money.
Or maybe, and this is a wild thought, they should develop a platform with sustainability in mind. Sony Group isn't going to come and save them, they have to work and act like the risk is their shirts because it is. If Playstation can't do that and adjust it's ambitions accordingly, then it is a question of how long this brand will keep on trucking. They have to start acting like they are in this for the long haul, and they have LONG had a history of not doing so and getting lucky.

Luck runs out at some point. Good folks prepare for it.
Also we are seeing the developers taking cut, not the executives that take these decisions in the first place.
Yeah, that is usually how this works... sadly. Most of those developers are just doing their jobs and the executive responsible for this gets to retire (oh and this is not the first time this has happened for Sony, remember Ken Kutaragi? same deal after... the PS3). That is not fair, it isn't meant to be fair.
Jim leaves with a mess, and other will have to clean that up.
London Studio has been long dormant as far as console players are concerned for well over a decade
It's mostly been a dev support house, and that is just gone. While players might not have cared, indie devs very much did. And that is gone.

Also, it's really weird how 4 out of the 6 studios they closed in the past years were in the UK. Is it unreasonably more expensive to keep a studio (salaries, etc.) there than other places?

UK studios were mostly working on niche/vr stuff that didn't take off. Sony probably need to bet big on one of UK studios. I mean Media Molecule guys made Fable so maybe they could be asked to make RPG.

I'm not sure it does tbh, at least with Sony it seems like the GAAS are mostly getting the squeeze and not the AAAA tentpoles.

Over at MS they're slowly diversify and trying to move to services, but I'm not sure AAAA content gets deprioritized (indeed the baby steps to multi imply they're looking to do the opposite and get those AAAA returns finally). Also MS is still on the prowl for acquisitions and that could accelerate as values continue coming back down to Earth. I'd guess Sony is probably out of that game though (at least on the multi-B pub scale) after Bungie proving to be a bit of a lemon.
I think you're right about the AAAA games. For now, they will hold on to their high development costs, but will have to reorient themselves internally. The PS5 generation can be flushed down the toilet, it won't see much of it, nor will it cause a change, maybe for a few test balloons.

We'll see what concrete change of direction comes in the spring, but this isn't exactly the headline they were hoping for on the 30th anniversary of Playstation.

What a failure of a generation.

These people don’t deserve to be punished for some executives stupid decisions. As long as they continue doing this they will only fail more.

It’s increasingly looking like pc will push high end consoles out of existence with each passing year.

This was mostly done via their Liverpool office.
Did SIE close that down a few years back?
The PS5 generation can be flushed down the toilet, it won't see much of it, nor will it cause a change, maybe for a few test balloons.
That makes things interesting for SIE. I don't think that the PS5 will be a complete failure but that really depends on how the company acts from this point onward.
Does SIE use this opportunity to build? That this instability is just a transient state as they march to stability, or do they just ax the jobs with no plan for a future?

We all here all see the Wii U has a complete loss, except for the fact that it gave Nintendo room to experiment and build. The Switch is the result of all of that. The third highest selling console of all time..... from the Wii U. With several popular titles... from a failure.
SIE is not in as dire a spot, but that is also part of the problem here. If they don't act, it will likely be too late to do so when things DO get dire.

SIE layoffs:
  • GG - ~40 devs (~10%)
  • INS - ??
  • ND - ??
  • London Studio - closed, 110
  • Firesprite - game cancelled, ???
  • Japan XDEV or Studio/PD - ???
  • Technology teams
  • Support teams
Twisted Metal - cancelled
London Studio GaaS - cancelled

2023 - 10.5k~
2024 - 7.1k~

We're going to breeze past that number in a few months at this rate...

Ubisoft and T2 are the only Western pubs eerily absent. Note the complete lack of JP pubs.

I don’t think this is that odd when you take the ‘Apple’ perspective into mind. It’s a product to be sold and marketed at PS5 as an up sell on the hardware as well as likely hoping it drivers user engagement and thus sales. Going outside of that market just means greater marketing spending which isn’t what it’s designed for.
I dunno, adding functionality really just adds to the value of their ecosystem for current users. If you already pay for higher plus tiers a device that lets you use the cloud streaming in more ways or take those classics with you becomes a more central buy potentially. And if you don't maybe it helps make those more expensive plans appealing too. I don't see these things substantially impacting marketing spend, it just makes a more appealing device in general.

Apple's happy to sell headphones and airpods to Android users too, but then Sony's always made for a pretty poor 'Apple'.

Please no... the rumor mill is already going strong for a PS5 Pro, adding Portal to that mess is not going to help.
I can just see it; untethered Cloud, native Classics, microSD card and OLED for $299.

SIE layoffs:
  • GG - ~40 devs (~10%)
  • INS - ??
  • ND - ??
  • London Studio - closed, 110
  • Firesprite - game cancelled, ???
  • Japan XDEV or Studio/PD - ???
  • Technology teams
  • Support teams
Twisted Metal - cancelled
London Studio GaaS - cancelled

Ubisoft and T2 are the only Western pubs eerily absent. Note the complete lack of JP pubs.
The strategy to not be cutting edge this Gen unless the game actually can sell that budget off has been golden.

Making mostly AA with some AAA

SEGA is probably the only notable JP publisher that has done significant layoffs, last year as part as their restructuring of their Euopepean branches and they'll be on the list later(it's just that the layoffs at in March).

Nothing yet in Japan, but this is not surprising.
A lot of Japanese publishers will attempt to lay off jobs from offices around the world before they do so at home.

The strategy to not be cutting edge this Gen unless the game actually can sell that budget off has been golden.
Making mostly AA with some AAA

AA developers around the world have been struggling immensely, so I don't know if "just do AA" games is the holy grail everyone is looking for.

SEGA is probably the only notable JP publisher that has done significant layoffs, last year as part as their restructuring of their Euopepean branches and they'll be on the list later(it's just that the layoffs at in March).

Nothing yet in Japan, but this is not surprising.
A lot of Japanese publishers will attempt to lay off jobs from offices around the world before they do so at home.
Square Enix would definitely be on this list had they not offloaded nearly all of SEE to Embracer.

T2's on there (VC Austin, 31st Union) though pretty light probably.

Back
Top Bottom