• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

[PS5] Spider-Man 2 sold through >2.5 million units in the first 24 hours; fastest selling PS Studio game ever [UPDATE: 6.1M as of November 12, 2023]

Saw from the latest leaked material that they are projecting 12 month sales for SM2 at 11.6 million and lifetime sales at 16.5.

Also the breakeven point is 7.2 million copies at full price FYI

So we can better judge performance with these figures in mind

They are under selling it. SM2 will cross 15 million by end of 2024. 11m> by end of 2023.

Saw from the latest leaked material that they are projecting 12 month sales for SM2 at 11.6 million and lifetime sales at 16.5.

Also the breakeven point is 7.2 million copies at full price FYI

So we can better judge performance with these figures in mind
I have yet to see the source for the 7.2 M. Is it available somewhere?

Edit: found them

Now i understand why they have updated the break even point figure and it's the key piece of info that was missing from the Kotaku report. The COGS increase over previous games is borderline insane. For Spider - Man 2 COGS are equal to 188.7 M

At least game sales are exceeding expectations by a huge margin. The final forecast was 11.6m in 12 months, and they sold through to consumer 6.1M already at November 12/2023.
10 M at 31/12/2023 seems possible right?

Last edited:
They are under selling it. SM2 will cross 15 million by end of 2024. 11m> by end of 2023.
The biggest point of comparison is probably to GOWR, but SM2 doesn't have a PS4 version so that limits sales a bit. I think it depends on how much they bundle it.

Personally I would expect probably around 12-13 for the 12 month sales and closer to 18-20 million lifetime, but that depends on when they put it in PS plus, how many sales they have, etc.

The biggest point of comparison is probably to GOWR, but SM2 doesn't have a PS4 version so that limits sales a bit. I think it depends on how much they bundle it.

Personally I would expect probably around 12-13 for the 12 month sales and closer to 18-20 million lifetime, but that depends on when they put it in PS plus, how many sales they have, etc.

Not being on the ps4 will probably give it longer legs

Possible for sure but it should end up a bit below that in my honest opinion. Closer to 9m is what I expect.
If the game closes at around 9M by the end of 2023, it suggests a sales trajectory comparable to Spider-Man 2018, which sold 9 million by November 25, 2018, following its release on September 7, 2018.

Spiderman sold 14.1M in its first year.
15M 1 year should be the bar.

SM2 sold average of 85K per day from 30 Oct to 12 Nov. That was before BF/christmas boost. I will be surprised if it doesnt cross 10 million by end of 2023. 11m is possible as well.

Is this slower than Spiderman 1?
What is the record for best selling first party sony game for first year?

Spider-Man 2018 launched on Sep 7 2018 and reached 9M sold by Nov 25 2018, just under 3 months after launch.

Spider-Man 2 launched on Oct 20 2023 and reached 10M sold by Feb 4 2024, just over 3 months after launch. So Spidey 2 is selling at a very similar pace to its predecessor.

Spider-Man 2018 launched on Sep 7 2018 and reached 9M sold by Nov 25 2018, just under 3 months after launch.

Spider-Man 2 launched on Oct 20 2023 and reached 10M sold by Feb 4 2024, just over 3 months after launch. So Spidey 2 is selling at a very similar pace to its predecessor.
2 months 18 days and 3 months 15 days. Or to be more exact, 80 for Spider-Man and 108 days for Spider-Man 2.

2 months 18 days and 3 months 15 days. Or to be more exact, 80 for Spider-Man and 108 days for Spider-Man 2.
Just under and just over 3 month is almost a month difference

I predicted 10 M around the end of 2023, so I was not too far off. Leo was on the money with 9M.

The game is tracking Spider - Man 2018 more or less in terms of sale, which is quite good. They are already 3 M units ahead of the break even point at full price, which was 7.2 M.

From Insomniac leaks we know their internal prediction was 10.5 M in 1 year IIRC, so the game is performing better than expected.

Edit: Actually early internal slides pointed at 10.5 M LTD with 35% ROI and a break even of 5.5. Now we know that they upped the break even point to 7.2 but they beat expectations massively as they already sold more than 10 M units at full price.

Last edited:
From Insomniac leaks we know their internal prediction was 10.5 M in 1 year IIRC, so the game is performing better than expected.
From the 7.2 slide their projection was 11.6 million sales

And as we've seen from Games like TOTK sales are probably pretty frontloaded.

From the 7.2 slide their projection was 11.6 million sales

And as we've seen from Games like TOTK sales are probably pretty frontloaded.
Indeed, but they are going to sell more than 11.6 LTD. They will be able to reach that figure even before any price cut.
This means that they will achieve a higher ROI compared to their internal estimates.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom