• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

Pokémon Unite reaches over 25 millions total downloads following launch on iOS and Android

Kano

Disciple
TEENAGE CITY RIOT
The latest highly-anticipated title from publisher Tencent and developer Timi Studios, Pokémon Unite, has proved to be the first hit for the Pokémon franchise on mobile platforms since the launch of Pokémon GO over the summer 2016. After an initial launch on Nintendo Switch, which led to over 9 millions downloads on that single platform, Pokémon Unite launched on iOS and Android on September 22nd, leading to a massive surge in downloads. The Pokémon Company reported that the game was downloaded over 25 millions times on all platforms.

Pokémon UNITE is continuing to show rapid player base growth. The Pokémon Company confirmed today that the franchise’s first MOBA has officially been downloaded more than 25 million times across Nintendo Switch and mobile.

This isn’t that surprising because the game already surpassed nine million downloads on Switch a week before it launched on mobile. And because mobile is such a lucrative and accessible market, this new number might be smaller than the actual data shows.

SensorTower reported recently that the mobile version alone was downloaded over 30 millions times since launch. This would be a significantly strong performance as it would position it above huge titles such as League of Legends: Wild Rift, which had a staggered launch, and Brawl Stars, which is the second most popular mobile MOBA right now behind Honor of Kings, another Tencent property. Honor of Kings grossed over 10 billion dollars in consumer spendings. On its first day on phones, Pokémon Unite claimed the No. 1 spot on most-downloaded app store lists in 62 countries, according to tracker App Annie.

Pokémon and MOBA seems like the surefire recipe for a success, but you don't reach these numbers without players liking what they're seeing. Good stuff.

Very good for initial downloads. Interested in how much that download base contributes to it's gross revenue.

Pokemon Go: 15 million downloads in the first week
Pokemon Unite: 25 million downloads in 10 days

I think we're outpacing the rampant success of Pokemon Go right now. Way to go, Nintendo & Tencent!

Next Pokemon Go metric to beat is 130 million downloads in a month.

Very good for initial downloads. Interested in how much that download base contributes to it's gross revenue.
My rough estimate is $1.6 ARPU or at least $40 million gross rev so far (~700K of a $60 game). That's using Pokemon Go's performance though and it could very well be different this time around. Don't have any precise data on me right now but I remember doing a calc like that a few years ago for Pokemon Go and that's what I came up with IIRC.

Last edited:
I think the game is fun and the P2W controversy was a bit overblown. Glad it's a success and hopefully this encourages them to experiment with the Pokemon IP a bit more.

I think the initial backlash over the perceived P2W for item leveling was contained to enthusiast channels and had zero impact on the general reception.
Yup. I have only ever heard it mentioned in places like Era and such. No one I know IRL has brought it up.

Wow, that is a huge milestone! For my part, it's the first MOBA I've ever even bothered to try, and it seems like they are rapidly adding content, features, and fixes. Anecdotally I hear from enthusiasts how much they enjoy it, so I can imagine word of mouth has helped here, too. Great stuff!

wonder what the revenue is like, they have a good thing going if they don't fuck it up. just goes to show that Pokemon needs to branch out more

Back
Top Bottom