• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

PlayStation Portal has sold out two days after launch in US/UK

derby_440

Disciple
Pronouns
he/him
The PlayStation Portal, which launched on November 15, has already sold out in the UK and the US.

As noted by Eurogamer, it seems as though scalpers may have hoarded some of the supply as there are already listings for the device (which retails at £199) on Ebay for between £200 t0 £290, with some reaching over £300.

The UK PlayStation Direct store says the PlayStation Portal is "currently unavailable" and to check back for more information on November 22, while the US store suggests early December for an update on when to expect more stock.

Sony unveiled the PlayStation Portal earlier this year, a remote device that enables PlayStation 5 owners to play titles without using a TV screen via Wi-Fi.

In its second quarter report for the financial year, the firm hoped the introduction of the PlayStation Portal may increase hardware sales during the holidays.

Without any numbers it’s hard to say is a hit or miss.

But feedback seems to be very positive.

The biggest problem for Sony is that a LOT of people still thinks you can only use it with the same network as your PS5 does.

The numbers we have from Amazon US and Walmart don't point to a lot of them being sold.

Amazon US has +2K and sold out

Walmart was only selling between 100 and 500 units a day for maybe two weeks.

Yes, this is being discussed on other sites. You can't find the device anywhere at this point. As I mentioned in the Media Create thread, their website implies they will have another shipment next month.

Which - if true - means they miss out on the Black Friday shopping craze in the US.

I feel like overall they had less than a million ready to go and didn't anticipate demand after PSVR2 underwhelmed.

Without any numbers it’s hard to say is a hit or miss.

It really isn't, at the very least it's indicative that it at least matched (and possibly surpassed) Sony's initial expectation for the accessory. I can see it being another case like the Edge, where people on enthusiast forums doubted overall adoption but it kept being #1 every month for accessories.

I guess this is more a case of sony underdelivering the product rather than having a lot sold

Given the numbers from Amazon and Walmart, it can't have sold a ton, but it's nice that the initial shipment sold out quickly. I'll buy one if they eventually bring cloud streaming to it.

It really isn't, at the very least it's indicative that it at least matched (and possibly surpassed) Sony's initial expectation for the accessory. I can see it being another case like the Edge, where people on enthusiast forums doubted overall adoption but it kept being #1 every month for accessories.
The question becomes does it sustain it like the Edge. If they do a lot of low shipments then I can see that being the case.

Back
Top Bottom