• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

Phil Spencer: "At this point, we’ve sold more of this generation of Xbox than we had any previous version of Xbox"

mazi

Scholar
(+0%)
"When you think about trying to go get an Xbox or a new PlayStation right now in the market, they’re really hard to find. And it’s not because supply is smaller than it’s ever been. Supply is actually as big as it’s ever been. It’s that demand is exceeding the supply for all of us. At this point, we’ve sold more of this generation of Xboxes, which is Xbox Series X and S, than we had any previous version of Xboxes. So it’s our job to get the supply there to meet that demand."

i guess launch aligned the xbox series is ahead of the 360 then.

Big news for Xbox is that they still outpace the previous generations despite production constraints. Phil confirms supply is actually high, the demand is simply even higher.

Xbox 360 was at 10.4M shipped after 2006 and Xbox One hit 10M early December 2014. XBS would also be over 10M

We will see soon the percentages in next quarter reports, i believe.

EDIT: XS needs to beat 910k X1 ( 2014) for December NPD IIRC.

Seems about right to me, as Series S sales have really picked up since the 2021 holidays. It still remains to be seen if Series S sales can be sustained long term, but as of right now, demand is still there in January 2022, at least on Amazon.

Last edited:
Great start. Hopefully, they can put our more stock to continue to outpace previous Xbox generations.

Excellent sales for them to be ahead worldwide. Clearly shows the global focus for Xbox this gen when they're ways behind XB1 in the US.

i'm glad xbox is doing well and i can't wait for updated subscribers for GamePass if they give any lol

i'm glad xbox is doing well and i can't wait for updated subscribers for GamePass if they give any lol

Well, if there is a slow growth like it was a year ago, they won't.

Well, if there is a slow growth like it was a year ago, they won't.
feels like they only announce it when they have something else to accompany it. like we only heard 15 million when they announced the zenimax deal.

I guess production is similar to Xbox One in 2013/14, but with higher sell through and being more distributed worldwide. That's why Series is trailing One in USA and UK.

Chip shortages are hurting Sony more since Playstation 5 sales potential is bigger.

I guess production is similar to Xbox One in 2013/14, but with higher sell through and being more distributed worldwide. That's why Series is trailing One in USA and UK.

Chip shortages are hurting Sony more since Playstation 5 sales potential is bigger.
Production is bigger than with Xbox One.

Yeah exactly this, production/ shipments are about on par with XB1 from what we know, if they're higher its not by much. But XB1 was selling through a lot less in the less compeititve markets especially and had a lot spare sitting on the shelves.

Production is bigger than with Xbox One.

Naah. XS was very similar vs X1 in November/December globally. 10 mil. or so. Therefore, bunch of X1 consoles were sitting on shelves during that time, that is not the case with XS. XS is selling faster to customers in same time-frame. That means less consoles on shelves, but same production pace

Naah. XS was very similar vs X1 in November/December globally. 10 mil. or so. Therefore, bunch of X1 consoles were sitting on shelves, that is not the case with XS. XS is faster to customers in same time-frame. That means less consoles on shelves
Yes, I was wrong, he says supply is *as* big "as it's ever been", I read "bigger" for some reason. Sorry.

How does this compare to PS5 sales? Is Microsoft faring better against Sony in contrast to how X1 did against PS4 in their first year?
We won't know until Sony financials but safe to say PS5 is roughly ~1-2M behind PS4 at this point in shipments and maybe ~0.5-1M in sell-through. So if it was ~18.5M vs ~10.5M sell through at the end of 2014 in PS4's favour I'd guess its something like 17.5M vs 11.5M right now.

Yeah global focus with launch this time around is probably why US and UK are a bit behind Xbox One launch aligned. Microsoft had to provide stock to more markets this time around so had to sacrifice with the shortages a bit in US and UK

Thinking Xbox does 1+ Million in December NPD, but we will have to see. Xbox should easily start to outpace Xbox One launch aligned in both US and UK this year though

Xbox Series is doing much better than last generations:

Xbox - NVidia GPU price troubles and too many price cuts.
Xbox 360 - 3RL.
Xbox One - Kinect and bad marketing.

Looks like Series life will be very smooth.

Last edited:
Microsoft have done a lot of things right the past couple of years. If more of their first party games in the pipeline can deliver, then this should easily be Xbox's best generation ever.

Xbox Series is doing much better than last generations:

Xbox - NVidia GPU price troubles and top many price cuts.
Xbox 360 - 3RL.
Xbox One - Kinect and bad marketing.

Looks like Series life will be very smooth.
And it should do better at one point nearer the mid way :)

Interesting decade for the platforms imo

Why did he have to phrase it so weirdly

Anyway, I'm glad Microsoft is much more competitive this gen. Makes for a much healthier ecosystem

Why did he have to phrase it so weirdly

Anyway, I'm glad Microsoft is much more competitive this gen. Makes for a much healthier ecosystem
Yeah haha. A lot of Xbox's PR statements seem willfully ambiguous at times, which can cause a lot of unnecessary debates surrounding them. I'm happy Xbox managed to return to form for this gen and hope that their momentum can continue to increase. Used to love the OG Xbox and the 360 and still do.

I don't think Xbox Series X|S will outsell Xbox 360. 360 had the RROD fueling resales, a pretty attractive mid-gen refresh that added wifi, more discrete hard drive and reliability, they were almost giving them away to students, it had an 8 year life cycle and a pop culture phenomenon in Kinect.

I cannot see Series matching that 84 million units.

I don't think Xbox Series X|S will outsell Xbox 360. 360 had the RROD fueling resales, a pretty attractive mid-gen refresh that added wifi, more discrete hard drive and reliability, they were almost giving them away to students, it had an 8 year life cycle and a pop culture phenomenon in Kinect.

360 sold 84 mil units? Wow, I never knew it sold so many. 84 mil does seem out of reach but there are two factors that may help the Series get there.

1. Mid gen upgrade. If we get a Pro Series X a few years from now, that will help increase sales, no doubt. Heck, I'll buy one if it's a nice upgrade and is powerful enough.
2. I think this generation will go longer than usual, due to chip shortage and the fact that many people still aren't able to get these consoles, both PS5 and Series X.

Like half of what you said is incorrect.

Software sales disprove RROD massively pushed hardware as 360 was selling obscene amounts of software to begin with.

The slim and Kinect did give the 360 a second wind, so nothing wrong there.

The student deals were nothing massive. They had to buy a $699 PC to even get the "free" 360. https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2011-05-20-microsoft-offering-free-360-to-us-students

XBS should have another 7 year lifespan.

Also the 360 objectively sold more than 84M, Microsoft just never gave an update after June 2014.

Like half of what you said is incorrect.

Software sales disprove RROD massively pushed hardware as 360 was selling obscene amounts of software to begin with.

The slim and Kinect did give the 360 a second wind, so nothing wrong there.

The student deals were nothing massive. They had to buy a $699 PC to even get the "free" 360. https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2011-05-20-microsoft-offering-free-360-to-us-students

XBS should have another 7 year lifespan.

Also the 360 objectively sold more than 84M, Microsoft just never gave an update after June 2014.
Struggling to see where your debating "half". Yes buying a PC for school got you a free 360 and NPD if I'm not mistaken those deals were counted in NPD (as they should be).

I said 8 years...

The last comparable numbers I can find. I do not think 360 had a long tail.

I don't remember the attach rate for 360 exactly, just that it was very very high. That doesn't stop people from replacing their bricked console with a new one, especially when Slim came out.

Even if we map it out, it isn’t impossible for the Series to hit 70M or higher.

Perhaps not as high as the +84M but I’m only going off of what is right now, would have to see how platform exclusives would push the system from those at Bethesda, The Coalition, Rare, Obsidian, etc., for example that won’t touch the One S/X. Of course they also release on PC, but I don’t think those have much of a negative impact on the XBox sales and work well synergistically.

Right now, with the heavy cross-gen period it still managed to do 10-12M and has supply issues that outpaces the demand. I do not foresee this doing less than 50M this gen, can see it go +70M, but I’m unsure of the specifics beyond that.

Still waiting for their next earnings call to be announced unless I have missed it.

Estimated is supposedly in 2 weeks

I believe Xbox Series could get some very nice mid gen refreshes, like smaller consoles, bigger SSDs, digital only Series X, improved controllers, and more. All those things could help to sustain like ~10 million hardwares per year.

Last edited:

Xbox360 sold that much because of Kinect.
Not so much about maybe 1 additional million units due to RROD not covered and exchanged under warranty.

X360 sold only 12.4m total units during the RROD time. After that the Falcon model was released without the issue.

Last edited:
I think Xbox Series making it to 70+ million is VERY likely. Their first party output from 2023 on will be very high, Game Pass will continue to grow its library, and the hardware is well priced between Series X and S

Too early in the generation though for me to really guess if it can pass Xbox 360 to become the best selling Xbox ever. But clearly this will be a very successful generation for them either way

Xbox360 sold that much because of Kinect.
Not so much about maybe 1 additional million units due to RROD not covered and exchanged under warranty.

X360 sold only 12.4m total units during the RROD time. After that the Falcon model was released without the issue.
You really think only 1 million of that 12.4 upgraded to the refresh, especially when we know RROD affected >1/3 of units? It's not a bad thing on the face of it. PS2 was a unreliable hunk of junk but like the PS2 the 360 was cheap which made upgrading easy. Microsoft's consoles have been bulletproof ever since but arguing that the issue had minimal effect on sales is, well... debatable.

Back
Top Bottom