• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

Persona 3 Reload sold 1,000,000 copies worldwide within its first week, becoming the fastest selling game in ATLUS history

Himura Kenshin

Enthusiast

Persona 3 Reload sold 1,000,000 copies worldwide within its first week, becoming the fastest selling game in ATLUS history!

A huge thank you to our community for your incredible support! We look forward to breaking more records with you.

Damn that's alot of Copies, maybe West is picking up alot of its sales!

Best ost in the series imo (I love smt/persona ost), i need to one day pick this up, "Wiping all out" expectations

After how utterly trash this week's been for game news, it's extremely refreshing to hear something positive again. Lol.

Great start for Persona! It's keeping pace with the Like a Dragon series whose latest entry reached the same milestone. Very good showing for Sega to start the year - makes me look forward to Sonic x Shadow Generations and all of their upcoming IP reboots, too!

Particularly good because I questioned why the hell Sega would release their two big RPGs within a week of each other. Turns out they know better than I do, both games are different enough that they can co-exist successfully.

Still, I would have put more time in between releases, but whatever works, works.

Their strategy to grow the IP is really working. Global launch, great marketing, and expansion of platforms.

Nice to see Sega successfully pursuing this strategy.

Global launch messes up older historical comparisons but still fantastic sales.

For other global launches:

SMTV: 800k in 7 weeks, exceeding targets
SH2: below expectations, "struggling"
P5T: we'll find out Friday, brace yourselves

Its a good remake for a series that is getting getting more popular worldwide thanks for smashing success of Persona 5, considering one of the best RPG last gen and in general.

Between this and Infinite Wealth, Sega has been doing great on turn based RPGs these last few weeks.

Maybe I will play on gamepass after I finish Baldurs Gate 3, Dark Souls remastered and my BOTW re-playthrough.

Anyways use this money on Etrian Odyssey VI and Devil Survivor 3 please! I need more really good turn based RPGs.

Very good news! As for LaD the trick of a worldwiide simultaneous release make comparisons weird but surely this is giid news!

Ww simultaneous release, in fact, and multiplatform release surely are helping SEGA a lot!

Sega is having a great past 30 days. Both of its big RPGs are doing really well. Hopefully the sales have some legs and we hit 3 million for this and LAD in the next couple months.

3 months, 3 million-seller turn-based JRPGs. A spin-off, sequel and a remake. 1 exclusive and 2 multiplatforms. 1 day time game and 2 night time games.

Biggest takeaway for me is the genre doesn't need to be limited to HD-2D or quirky indie pixel art games. The audience has been underserved and is ravenous.

Very decent performance for P3R (and I love the game on the whole, personally).

I say "decent" because, while 1 million in the span of a week is actually very good, in this case it comes with the asterisk of Xbox having taken on the entirety of the marketing budget and giving this game the non-stop promo campaign it received. Without that, we wouldn't be seeing these figures, and I don't think Sega would've been capable of marketing the game quite as effectively themselves.

Basically, it feels like a Shin Megami Tensei V situation, where Nintendo marketing sort of "brute-forced" the game into reaching 1 million in a relatively short span of time. Bit of a cheat, because it means making and marketing and publishing SMTV wouldn't have been sustainable for Atlus and Sega by themselves, and I would say the same holds true here.

I'm curious to see how quickly P3R reaches 2 million...and for that matter, Infnite Wealth, too. At present, it feels as though Sega is reliant on a rich platform-holder to offer to bankroll the marketing on these games. It's the same problem Square has had with Final Fantasy for a few years now.

Last edited:
I'm curious to see how quickly P3R reaches 2 million...and for that matter, Infnite Wealth, too. At present, it feels as though Sega is reliant on a rich platform-holder to offer to bankroll the marketing on these games. It's the same problem Square has had with Final Fantasy for a few years now.
While I agree with P3R, and it is not 1:1 with Square which puts exclusively their FF games on one platform, can we really say the same for Yakuza 8 ?

Feels like the game was shown at various events, without one single publisher pushing it everytime. So I would disagree on that one.

Reveal trailer - RGG Summit livestream
Trailer #2 - Xbox Showcase 2023
In-depth look - RGG livestream
Story Trailer - Game Awards

Very good result, the real challenge was always going to be how fast and if it reaches a couple millions sold. Thats a good foundation though, especially with them having future DLC plans for the game.

While I agree with P3R, and it is not 1:1 with Square which puts exclusively their FF games on one platform, can we really say the same for Yakuza 8 ?

Feels like the game was shown at various events, without one single publisher pushing it everytime. So I would disagree on that one.

True, but the whole main series outside of LAD 8 is on GamePass - they also released The Man Who Erased his Name on GP, which is kinda like the appetizer going into LAD8 from Kiryus POV.

I agree that LAD8 itself has been shown across multiple events, but its clear that MS is doing a lot of heavy lifting with both series and footing the bill for them reaching new audiences, that might not usually be interested or spent money on these games.

Its not wrong or anything but they are def. benefiting from the fact that MS shows them to fill the whole Square Enix left by disregarding them for the start of the generation.

Last edited:

Sorry, should've worded myself better. In the case of LaD specifically, I meant that LaD is where it is now because Xbox marketing got it there, which is now helping Infinite Wealth. Sega wouldn't have been able to do that themselves, and I'm not convinced that the next game after Infinite Wealth will enjoy the same success. [Insert lack of Infinite Wealth joke here]

Meanwhile, Persona is presently reliant on first-party marketing (as is Metaphor, it would seem). Makes you think about them wanting Persona 6 to sell 5 million units in the course of a single year. That would require some heavy-duty marketing, so I think it's safe to say they're going to seek a first-party marketing deal for that game as well.

I dont see problem with first party marketing, Sony pushed a lot of Hogwarts Legacy despiste not being exclusive, Suicide Squad too.

I dont see problem with first party marketing, Sony pushed a lot of Hogwarts Legacy despiste not being exclusive, Suicide Squad too.
There is no problem, people are just discussing how certain sales target are or can be realized by these companies. Marketing and who is willing to foot the bill, is a big part of that equation

I dont see problem with first party marketing

me neither
the most important thing is to be succesfull imho

of couse, taking a first party marketing push, despite being multiplatform, for a third party software house is a win-win situation, isn't it?

btw, more than or equal to the MS marketing push for Persona 3R, I'd say that the multiplatform release + worldwide release were the key factors to reach this milestone so quick: I suspect, for example, that it won't have HUGE legs and won't reach LT sales of Persona 5 (duh, that's obvious I think?) showing how the "fastest selling title" record was more due to the well studied launch than everything

I would say sustainability is just as important as success. Being dependent on someone else to market your products for you isn't ideal, and the reason Persona and LaD and Metaphor can't be compared to, say, a Hogwarts Legacy, is because the numbers are astronomically different.

Hogwarts would still have sold multiple millions of units without first-party marketing. Maybe it would've sold 15 million instead of 22. In the case of Persona and LaD, they may not even have reached a million units sold until a month or so down the line, shortly after which the games would've needed to be put on sale to keep them going. It's a very different scenario.

Sorry, should've worded myself better. In the case of LaD specifically, I meant that LaD is where it is now because Xbox marketing got it there, which is now helping Infinite Wealth. Sega wouldn't have been able to do that themselves, and I'm not convinced that the next game after Infinite Wealth will enjoy the same success. [Insert lack of Infinite Wealth joke here]

Meanwhile, Persona is presently reliant on first-party marketing (as is Metaphor, it would seem). Makes you think about them wanting Persona 6 to sell 5 million units in the course of a single year. That would require some heavy-duty marketing, so I think it's safe to say they're going to seek a first-party marketing deal for that game as well.
If they used a 1st party to propel themselves and can now rely on the increased brand awareness of their franchise to generate higher sales, then it is a profitable and sustainable move imo.

I would compare it to something like Monster Hunter, which was pushed a lot by Sony with World and can now be marketed by Capcom themselves with Wilds, thanks to the audience World created.

While this is impressive, I gotta bring up some potential asterisk here since it was quite a big deal here.

In case you haven't heard it yet. There was a production mishaps for Asia release, resulting in Asia copies label "English Version" only contain Chinese language! Atlus only put up the notice right before the release, and so customer can request to get a replacement digital code initially, later promised to add physical copy as an option.

And here's the big thing: Would this affect their sale counts for this announcement? It's hard to say but it would be wild think about that the game manage to reach a million copy only because some people had to issue a replacement.

While this is impressive, I gotta bring up some potential asterisk here since it was quite a big deal here.

In case you haven't heard it yet. There was a production mishaps for Asia release, resulting in Asia copies label "English Version" only contain Chinese language! Atlus only put up the notice right before the release, and so customer can request to get a replacement digital code initially, later promised to add physical copy as an option.

And here's the big thing: Would this affect their sale counts for this announcement? It's hard to say but it would be wild think about that the game manage to reach a million copy only because some people had to issue a replacement.
I... think that would just count as one sale. There's gotta be some sort of law for something like this or this sort of thing could very well be used to mislead investors.

If they used a 1st party to propel themselves and can now rely on the increased brand awareness of their franchise to generate higher sales, then it is a profitable and sustainable move imo.

I would compare it to something like Monster Hunter, which was pushed a lot by Sony with World and can now be marketed by Capcom themselves with Wilds, thanks to the audience World created.

The difference is that Monster Hunter is now a 15-20 million seller. It's a unique game with an inherent hook (co-op multiplayer against giant monsters) that will consistently help it move large numbers. Every copy of MH sold will help move further copies as people pick it up to play with their friends.

While Persona has its own unique hooks (the allure of reliving your childhood, the dating element etc. etc.), it isn't operating on nearly the same scale and it isn't quite as attractive to a platform holder as something like Monster Hunter is. With MH, Capcom has actual negotiating power. I do think there's a difference there, and I'm not certain we're at a point where Persona, SMT, Like a Dragon, and Metaphor are sustainable just yet.

Last edited:
I... think that would just count as one sale. There's gotta be some sort of law for something like this or this sort of thing could very well be used to mislead investors.
For the record, I do hope replacements aren't count toward this either.

SteamDB has Playtracker at 160K and VGI at 195K.

I'm guessing:
  • 750K PS
  • 200K PC
  • 50K XB
1M was expected with the simultaneous release.
P5 did 2M in ~2 months if you allign the launches and then 3.2M in 2 years. Thats the test. Would be impressive if P3 even matches honestly and bodes very well for Persona 6.

FF does 3-3.5M in one week and also gets really good reviews. Persona has quite a way to go to reach FF popularity.
I think the user was more referring to the current status of both franchises. Persona 5 (and its derivatives) sold a massive amount of copies.

But I agree that we'd probably better wait for Persona before we can assess which franchise has the biggest mindshare (and sales) in the segment.

I think the user was more referring to the current status of both franchises. Persona 5 (and its derivatives) sold a massive amount of copies.

But I agree that we'd probably better wait for Persona before we can assess which franchise has the biggest mindshare (and sales) in the segment.
I mean, barring P6 being a gigantic multiplatform breakout hit (which is entirely possible, even if it is completely unpredictable) then yeah it's Final Fantasy, but I do think that while Persona - and a few other JRPG franchises, really, are on a rather clear ascent Final Fantasy has kind of just stagnated for years, even decades now. Just look at the top sellers right now on Steam - both P5R and FF7R Intergrade are on a half off sale and P5R is a good margin ahead - can you honestly imagine telling someone like half a decade ago about that happening?

There is still a sizable gap between FF and the rest, but SE not fully embracing multiplattform development and their games kinda stuck having to deliver on what is considered cutting-edge is limiting their appeal and reach compared to series like Yakuza and Persona.

Commercially the gap is still there, but in terms of passion or satisfaction you can probably make the case that certain series have already eclipsed the reception that new mainline FF receives nowadays fromt he core fangroup. 7 Remake is a special case with a lot of nostalgia behind it, but that trilogy will be done at some point as well.

Gonna be interesting to see how 9 Remake does if its indeed multiplattform, things can change fast in terms of reception if SE stops limiting themselves.

I would say sustainability is just as important as success. Being dependent on someone else to market your products for you isn't ideal, and the reason Persona and LaD and Metaphor can't be compared to, say, a Hogwarts Legacy, is because the numbers are astronomically different.

Hogwarts would still have sold multiple millions of units without first-party marketing. Maybe it would've sold 15 million instead of 22. In the case of Persona and LaD, they may not even have reached a million units sold until a month or so down the line, shortly after which the games would've needed to be put on sale to keep them going. It's a very different scenario.
I actually don’t agree it re: xbox marketing, what really helped yakuza was the soft reboot , change of combat system and giving it english voices plus the game having good word of mouth

I actually don’t agree it re: xbox marketing, what really helped yakuza was the soft reboot , change of combat system and giving it english voices plus the game having good word of mouth
LAD was everywhere in 2020 because MS secured the newGen/Current Marketing exclusivity, so it was lowkey part of the initial Xbox Series console rollout.
Everything you write is factual, but people still need to know about these features and learn about the games, the audience that platform holder events, especially during a launch year reach shouldnt be unerestimated.

This obv. in addition to the whole series being on GP. They really took away most reason, that would have kept people away from giving the series a chance and thankfully it seems like enough stuck around so that even new games can reach new heights, regardless of GP inclusion or not. I assume this would be the longterm strategy for all these deals.

Same way P5R/P3R hitting GP day one, but Persona 6 - if multi is likely expected to be able to sell more than enough on its own on Xbox.

LAD was everywhere in 2020 because MS secured the newGen/Current Marketing exclusivity, so it was lowkey part of the initial Xbox Series console rollout.
Everything you write is factual, but people still need to know about these features and learn about the games, the audience that platform holder events, especially during a launch year reach shouldnt be unerestimated.

This obv. in addition to the whole series being on GP. They really took away most reason, that would have kept people away from giving the series a chance and thankfully it seems like enough stuck around so that even new games can reach new heights, regardless of GP inclusion or not. I assume this would be the longterm strategy for all these deals.

Same way P5R/P3R hitting GP day one, but Persona 6 - if multi is likely expected to be able to sell more than enough on its own on Xbox.
What i remember back in those days was the delay of ps5 ver and sponsorship to some hololive en talents and people are thinking it was day 1 for GP but it wasnt

i don’t really know it was everywhere until people playing it are speaking about it being good

do we even have any data hows the split between platforms? Including or Excluding steam?

Persona probably won’t reach the heights FF7-10 did in terms of success and impact, but it’s certainly grown a ton from the 2000s globally. Sega is clearly positioning both it and Yakuza as core pillar franchises along Sonic.

Good stuff. Hopefully it'll have long legs like 5 did, word of mouth seems good enough and it'll surely get a Switch 2 port later down the line.

So P3R sold copies in one week is approximately the same as SMT V in more than two years?
Damn, Atlus should stop doing exclusive games.

So P3R sold copies in one week is approximately the same as SMT V in more than two years?
Damn, Atlus should stop doing exclusive games.

SMT V outsold multiplattform Soul Hackers 2 , so exclusive is obv. the way to go.

So yeah, Apples to Oranges.

Back
Top Bottom