• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

Metroid Dread biggest launch in franchise history in the UK, fifth biggest Switch launch of the year

Phantom Thief

Analyst
Life Will Change
Pronouns
He/Him

Off to a good start, especially since I assume digital sales are fairly significant. Hopefully this trend is reflected around the world!

Interesting that MP3 was the previous record-holder. Do we know how much that title sold in the UK concretely?

The strongest launch for Metroid is weaker than of a game like New Pokémon Snap, which was launched without much fanfare. Said this, at least the improvement over Metroid: Samus Returns is big (3 times bigger at the minimum).

On the one hand I'd have been shocked if this wasn't the biggest Metroid launch in the UK. On the other this is still obviously a good sign.

5th biggest Switch launch for the year is good, do we know what #6 was?

The strongest launch for Metroid is weaker than of a game like New Pokémon Snap, which was launched without much fanfare. Said this, at least the improvement over Metroid: Samus Returns is big (3 times bigger at the minimum).

Tbf, New Pokémon Snap sold over 2 million copies outside of Japan, so it's not like that game was a flop.

Iirc, New Pokemon Snap over performed in the UK to a pretty absurd degree, so the comparison isn't entirely 1:1 (particularly since a game appealing to an engaged enthusiast base like Metroid is likelier to have a higher digital share than something like Snap).

Pokémon Snap was probably one of the biggest overperformer in the UK this year so far tbh. Sold even more than Ratchet I believe.
Chris Dring noted how surprised he was how much it sold I remember.

Anyway, this is really lovely to see. Let's see where the game goes from here.

Awesome for Metroid. If it performed that well in UK, it bodes well for strongers Nintendo markets. Wonder if we'll receive a 1 million PR tweet.

Fun fact, Metroid: Samus Returns sold more in Spain than in UK at launch, let's see if it will be the same for Metroid Dread. Most likely not but it may be close.

Good launch for Metroid Dread, considering the status of the franchise. I hope we'll get some good information from Chris tomorrow! There's a lot I've love to know. I hope we'll get Metroid Dread / New Pokémon Snap comparison. There's a big gap between the 16k of Mario Golf and the 26k of Snap after all.

Very happy with these results. The next week of reports is going to be fun to watch.

Great start for Metroid. Looks like it will outdo Prime 1 worldwide in soon time.

That's great to hear, even though the number is probably not that high, but considering it's broken the franchise record there, the sky's the limit. Good games deserve good sales.

Very solid launch, let's hope the positive WoM does it's thing for the following weeks.
Yeah I think we might be able to see a smaller scale version of this game having longer legs thanks to WoM, not unlike what we saw with BotW

So that's between 16k and 26k from what we know so far?

Good launch, that's about the expected numbers. Early legs through the rest of the year will be important here.

Not bad for a single weekend. Should become the highest-grossing one pretty quickly I think (even without digital).

Not bad at all, and I expect very good legs on this game given the strong word of mouth and great impressions going about.

Good. I’m still surprised by the performance of several Switch games in the UK. Its been quite the turn around again with the Switch generation.

Here’s hoping that Dread will be a big hit commercially too.

Back
Top Bottom