• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

Kadokawa FY3/2023 Q3 Earnings release - Game Segment Cumulative Net Sales ¥23,416M (+206.4% YoY), Operating Profit ¥9,071M (+2134.2% YoY): Elden Ring

ggx2ac

Expert
(They publish Dark Souls)
Link to slides: https://ssl4.eir-parts.net/doc/9468/ir_material_for_fiscal_ym7/130393/00.pdf

Link to 2nd Quarter FY3/2023 thread: https://www.installbaseforum.com/forums/threads/kadokawa-fy3-23-q2-earnings-release-game-segment-cumulative-net-sales-¥17-137m-255-1-yoy-operating-profit-¥7-592m-1118-6-yoy-elden-ring.1170/

Link to 1st Quarter FY3/2023 thread: https://www.installbaseforum.com/forums/threads/kadokawa-fy3-23-q1-earnings-release-game-segment-net-sales-¥12-582m-570-9-yoy-operating-profit-¥6-569m-infinity-yoy-driven-by-elden-ring.954/

Cumulative Net Sales ¥23,416M (+206.4% YoY)

Cumulative Operating Profit ¥9,071M (+2134.2% YoY)

Q3 Net Sales ¥6,279M (+123.06% YoY)

Q3 Operating Income ¥1,478M (+781.11% YoY)

Screenshots:
earnings14.jpg

earnings15.jpg

earnings16.jpg

earnings17.jpg

Last edited:
I know From was generally happy with their Dark Souls arrangement but I have to wonder if there's not some regret about partnering with Bamco again on Elden Ring given how absolutely massive it's been?

I know From was generally happy with their Dark Souls arrangement but I have to wonder if there's not some regret about partnering with Bamco again on Elden Ring given how absolutely massive it's been?

I'm assuming that was the main trigger for them to look into self-publishing. From name is a guarantee of quality and sales at this point, no matter who the publisher is.

Bloodborne with Sony, Sekiro with Activison, DS/ER with Bandai Namco... all stellar. Sales have been steadily increasing, having exploded with ER. They built a very solid fanbase throughout the years that will be there from now on as long as they deliver.

I'm assuming that was the main trigger for them to look into self-publishing. From name is a guarantee of quality and sales at this point, no matter who the publisher is.

Bloodborne with Sony, Sekiro with Activison, DS/ER with Bandai Namco... all stellar. Sales have been steadily increasing, having exploded with ER. They built a very solid fanbase throughout the years that will be there from now on as long as they deliver.
Sure but they jumped from a ~10m property with Dark Souls to a ~30m one with Elden Ring. And Bamco co-owns it.

The only other Japanese company that can put out software like that is Nintendo. From basically leapfrogged Capcom, Square Enix, the rest of Bandai Namco and the rest of the Japanese industry with this game but they still have to share the rights. And they're partnering with Bamco again on AC6, even with co-dev this time, so I have to think their global publishing aspirations either weren't what they were hyped up to be be or are farther off than anticipated?

The thing about publishing big games is big publishers make it look easy. Like a duck on the surface. But CD Projekt Red went the same route after realizing they had a hit on their hands so Kadokawa can too.

Sure but they jumped from a ~10m property with Dark Souls to a ~30m one with Elden Ring. And Bamco co-owns it.

The only other Japanese company that can put out software like that is Nintendo. From basically leapfrogged Capcom, Square Enix, the rest of Bandai Namco and the rest of the Japanese industry with this game but they still have to share the rights. And they're partnering with Bamco again on AC6, even with co-dev this time, so I have to think their global publishing aspirations either weren't what they were hyped up to be be or are farther off than anticipated?

Armored Core has been in dev for many years so I assume the deal with BN was made a while ago. I imagine their self-publishing structure will take a while to take form.

Back
Top Bottom