• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

How much will Mario Strikers: Battle League sell?

How much will Mario Strikers: Battle League Sell LTM

• <1M

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • 1-2M

Votes: 5 3.1%
  • 2-3M

Votes: 15 9.4%
  • 3-4M

Votes: 25 15.7%
  • 4-5M

Votes: 39 24.5%
  • 5-7M

Votes: 48 30.2%
  • 7-10M

Votes: 19 11.9%
  • 10-15M

Votes: 4 2.5%
  • >15M

Votes: 2 1.3%

• Total voters

Peleo

Enthusiast

hero

Tackle, pass, and score in battle soccer with the Mushroom Kingdom gang

Introducing Strike, a 5-on-5, soccer-like sport with no rules—do whatever it takes to win! Get gritty and try to score the most goals by tackling enemies, using items, and pulling off score-boosting special shots. Super Mario series mainstays like Peach, Toad, and Yoshi put their cleats (and stats) to the pitch and will stop at nothing to score. Customize your characters with gear that can augment their stats and appearance. Take the carnage online* or pass the ball to players locally**—just look out for the electric fence.

Join an online club to push and shove your way up the ranks
Band together with up to 20 strikers online* and compete against other clubs for points. Find the right club for you, team up with friends, and bring your own striker style to the table. Strive to become the world’s top club each season!

Pummel the pitch with up to 8 players
8 players can go for the goal on one Nintendo Switch system, with local wireless**, or online*. Bring along a secondary striker on the same system in online battles, too. Locally, 4 players on each team can go cleat-to-cleat in individual matches.

As a reference, see below all the Mario Sports Spin-offs which crossed the 1M barrier, grouped by console. Doesn't include the Mario & Sonic games.
66758fC.png

Yellow = Tennis ; Blue = Golf ; Orange = Baseball ; Green = Strikers ; Grey= Other

Japan Sales:
[GCN] Mario Strikers <SPT> (Nintendo) {2006.01.19} (¥5.800) - 74.209 / 184.741 <74,15%>
[WII] Mario Strikers: Charged <SPT> (Nintendo) {2007.09.20} (¥5.800) - 27.946 / 210.346 <17,85%>

Pros:
- Next Level Games reputation as a developer
- Local and Online Multiplayer Focus
- Post-Launch support
- Esports opportunities
- FIFA World Cup hype
- Lack of solid football alternatives on the console
- Switch performance in Europe
- Growth of soccer in the US in the past decade

Cons:
- Lack of popularity in Japan
- Sales ceiling of Mario Sports games
- Smaller roster due to focus on captains
- Potential lack of character individuality due to gear system

Last edited:
5M-7M

Europe is gonna be all over it, especially if NoE picks up some famous soccer players for advertising. if NLG can avoid the issues of Camelot games of lack of content, and a solid post release pass (also a part of the expansion pass), then this is poised to be the best selling sports title by a long shot

6M-8M
Compared to other Mario Sports titles, Strikers has the advantage of representing the most popular sport in the world. Plus the world cup and Europe will make it the best selling Mario sports by alot.

I didn't realize Baseball and Basketball sold so much, Nintendo should bring them back in 2023 and 2024 too.
As for Striker I think it'll sell around 6m, maybe becoming Next Level Games' 2nd best-seller even (LM2 sold 6.33m by 2019)

I didn't realize Baseball and Basketball sold so much, Nintendo should bring them back in 2023 and 2024 too.
As for Striker I think it'll sell around 6m, maybe becoming Next Level Games' 2nd best-seller even (LM2 sold 6.33m by 2019)
does Square Enix even have the staff to make a new basketball game? they have shuffled their studios quite a bit since then

5M-7M

if online goes viral it can have crazy 10 million sales, and next level games would become the biggest nintendo studio outside of epd after ncube who are a money making machine

The biggest entry in the series seems pretty obvious, but how big is another question. Could get a good launch and if marketed well over Christmas with the World Cup (yes I know but not everyone likes FIFA) then 4-5mil seems straightforward enough. 5mil+ is possible but 4-5 seems reasonable.

does Square Enix even have the staff to make a new basketball game? they have shuffled their studios quite a bit since then
I'm sure they can find another studio if Square isn't open (which I agree they probably aren't), or maybe even Camelot could take care of it.

Mario Tennis Aces reached 3.29M sold as of June 2020, so its sales 1.5 years later should be close to (if not above) 4M.

Football/soccer is much more popular than tennis/golf, so Mario Strikers Battle League should sell 5-7M.

Mario Tennis Aces reached 3.29M sold as of June 2020, so its sales 1.5 years later should be close to (if not above) 4M.

Football/soccer is much more popular than tennis/golf, so Mario Strikers Battle League should sell 5-7M.
Right, it seems to have reached a steady pace after 2018

Jun 2018 - 1.38m
Sep 2018 - 2.16m (+780k in 3 months)
Dec 2018 - 2.53m (+370k in 3 months)
Mar 2019 - 2.64m (+110k in 3 months)
Jun 2019 - 2.75m (+110k in 3 months)

Dec 2019 - 3.06m (+310k in 6 months)

Jun 2020 - 3.29m (+230k in 6 months)

If it's stayed consistent since then maybe it could even end up closer to 5m lifetime. In a few months we'll get two updates in quick succession which'll be nice as people always underestimate smaller Switch games because of outdated figures.

My initial reaction was a bit lukewarm, but the social media metrics don't lie (it's one of the most popular Nintendo Direct announcement videos on YouTube in the US of all places), and something I hadn't considered in my initial analysis is that football video games have grown a lot since the previous Mario Strikers games were released. While Next Level Games has never done any significant DLC packs so far, I think there's a good opportunity for them to boost sales by releasing post-launch content in anticipation of the World Cup in November.

I've decided to up my prediction, mostly based on social media metrics, from 4 million to the 5-7M range of the poll.

Jun 2018 - 1.38m
Sep 2018 - 2.16m (+780k in 3 months)
Dec 2018 - 2.53m (+370k in 3 months)
Mar 2019 - 2.64m (+110k in 3 months)
Jun 2019 - 2.75m (+110k in 3 months)
Sep 2019 - 2.87m (+120k in 3 months)
Dec 2019 - 3.06m (+190k in 3 months)
Mar 2020 - 3.17m (+110k in 3 months)
Jun 2020 - 3.29m (+120k in 3 months)
Filled in the missing quarters.

Let's see...

Strikers on Gamecube sold more than Tennis or Golf on Gamecube which suggests it's more popular (though I do remember it being bundled with cheap Gamecubes in the UK near the end).

Strikers on Wii was the best selling sports title up until the Switch, whereby Tennis has passed it and so will Golf.

This suggest Strikers does a bit better than Tennis and Golf, and the Switch is setting records for each of these franchises.

I'm going 4-5 million.

7-10 million. I’m expecting this to breakout after the positive WoM the Strikers series has gotten over de past few years. Soccer is also the more popular sport and the newest entry seems to have held onto its attitude which will set it apart from other Mario spin-offs.

We might even be looking at a series that’ll go 10+ million. With that it’ll become the 4th Mario sub-series to do so.

5 million sounds about right. That'd be a near 100% boost over Strikers Charged coming from The Switch Effect, good release timing and synergy with the World Cup.

Voted for 5-7m.

The Strikers series has been put on ice since the Wii era despite the last one being the best-selling Mario Sports games until Aces on Switch.

Audience on Switch for soccer is big and is craving for more than a FIFA rehash. The game is also filling an Arcade spot that was not filled over the years.

Finally, it is NLG so I am exoecting a great game out of it. The online focus and I assume DLC plans will help its longevity (+ WC in the winter for a big Holiday push).

Voted 3-4 million. I think it will beat Charged but it’s also releasing in a competitive release period.

7-10M, possibly 10+ if they nail the marketing in Europe or manage to ship some systems to South America (very doubtful on the latter sadly).

I voted 7-10 Million.

Though honestly I think those debating the 5-7 are going to end up being correct.

However I cant shake the feeling that NLG are going to deliver an amazing game and if the WoM is stellar it could reach up to 8-8.5 mil.

I am always just shocked at how well LM3 did and I suppose I’m just hoping they get even more love. Plus I love how they handled Rosie in the trailer lol.

I have to wonder if NLG will get different treatment compared to Camelot's sports games. those games seem to suffer from not enough dev time to add more content and plan longer tail support. will NLG get more leeway, are they capable of doing more with the same amount of time?

I have to wonder if NLG will get different treatment compared to Camelot's sports games. those games seem to suffer from not enough dev time to add more content and plan longer tail support. will NLG get more leeway, are they capable of doing more with the same amount of time?
I would argue that the purchase almost assures us that Nintendo will at least listen to them and likely give them the time to finish it.

I mean LM3 has done over ten million already? And while they can be tough, we also know that they will let the internal teams go off between Retro and Monolith.

Unlike Camelot who is a work for hire, if NLG can give reason/show the right thing then I imagine that Nintendo will be much more likely to have either allocated more budget or time.

Popular sport, in a easy and frenetic arcade gameplay. Nintendo isn't adverse using celebrities to promote their products (Kobe Bryant in NBA Courtside, Ken Griffin Jr. for MLB, Rafael Nadal for Mario Tenis Aces), so using some real football star player (Haaland, Mbappé, Salah or De Bruyne) could be a huge hit in Europe, Mexico and South America. The release date at Black Friday weekend and a FIFA World Cup on November for a backgroud veil, well, it could be an easy 10 million seller.

Popular sport, in a easy and frenetic arcade gameplay. Nintendo isn't adverse using celebrities to promote their products (Kobe Bryant in NBA Courtside, Ken Griffin Jr. for MLB, Rafael Nadal for Mario Tenis Aces), so using some real football star player (Haaland, Mbappé, Salah or De Bruyne) could be a huge hit in Europe, Mexico and South America. The release date at Black Friday weekend and a FIFA World Cup on November for a backgroud veil, well, it could be an easy 10 million seller.

Game is dated for the 10th of June though.

Voted 5-7 million. I could see it hit 7-10 million but I think Mario Kart 8 DLC, Switch Sports(which has soccer and online), and Splatoon 3 releasing in close proximity could overshadow it.

Voted 5-7 million. I could see it hit 7-10 million but I think Mario Kart 8 DLC, Switch Sports(which has soccer and online), and Splatoon 3 releasing in close proximity could overshadow it.
The soccer in Switch Sports is more like Rocket League (but way more tame) whereas Mario Strikers is more like FIFA/eFootball (but way more crazy).

Not sure if Mario Kart or Splatoon will have a meaningful impact on Mario Strikers sales.

Good points
- Massive local multiplayer (8 players)
- Online league with teams( we need to look better this
- Fifa, besides low effort by EA, it´s making a crowd on the system.

? Points
- How to work local multiplayer and online at the same time?
- Have good content ( and great replay value?)

Let's see if the following two points could have an impact on Sales, a lot of the criticism I've seen online seems to be provenient from them:

- Smaller roster due to focus on captains
- Potential lack of character individuality due to gear system

Voted 3-4 million, though I can definitely see that being too low. Ultimately, this game should easily be the best selling game in its series (as is the case for most Switch titles).

Let's see if the following two points could have an impact on Sales, a lot of the criticism I've seen online seems to be provenient from them:
The gear system in any case it's a strong point imo, a gameplay loop of getting new gear by online play would create a great gameplay loop that would create an active online community which causes great WoM over the long run and great legs. There is individuality of each player being able to customize their favorite character in the way they want that's seems a strong point in Strikers favor.
Small roster I could see it affecting it but if there is constant updates with new roster additions it's not going to make a big difference.
I still think this is going to be a a 5M+ game but I think it's important to realize that is going to depend on the legs not launch.

+5 millions.

The game has the advantage of being the most popular sport by far in main Europe (and Latin America countries but its a market that we don’t generally consider lol) markets. The bad thing is that reception will likely be a bit mixed as it will not feature too many content at launch. But with good post launch support + WC and holiday season it can get a good boost.

I hope I am underselling the potential here, but I can't see it doing much more than 3m. While a lot of franchises have seen success on the Switch, Mario Sports games seem to have a lower ceiling. Granted this is a sport that hasn't seen an entry in some time, and it is NLG, not Camelot, but I'll try to keep my expectations lowish.

If it hits 5m+ that would be amazing IMO.

I hope I am underselling the potential here, but I can't see it doing much more than 3m. While a lot of franchises have seen success on the Switch, Mario Sports games seem to have a lower ceiling. Granted this is a sport that hasn't seen an entry in some time, and it is NLG, not Camelot, but I'll try to keep my expectations lowish.
Mario Tennis Aces has sold 3.6m 57% more than the prior best selling entry in Mario Tennis N64 (2.32m) and it hasn't stopped selling pretty decently to this day. Before Switch era Strikers Charged was the most successful game of the Mario Sports series with 2.6m units, and I don't see any reason why Strikers Battle League couldn't be the best selling entry when you consider it's being made by a bigger team and it's the most popular sport in the World. I think 4M should be the floor sales wise

Contrary to what is said in the forums, the lack of content does not seem to affect Switch Sport much, it will most likely not affect this game.
The important thing is online fun and easy to find matches?(As far as I can see, the league system they brought looks fun)

Voted 7-10M

I remember a picture where Cristiano Ronaldo was wearing Cappy on his head, I wish they would choose him to promote this game.

Cons:
No Daisy

Marketing starting to pick-up. I think my original prediction for 5-7m might have been too bulish. Legs will tell.

3-4m at this point. From the way i see Nintendo is marketing the game. They don't seems to go all in there.

If they would do marketing as aggressive as Mario Tennis using Nadal as main pushing power, i can see it hitting 5 to 6m. But at this point. Probably not.

Considering how football league season is ending already with all the champions locked and today we are going to have the final Champion's League fight between Real Madrid vs Pool. Nintendo if they really wanted to make Striker as big as possible. They should have lined up to target any player from those team already.

Alexander Arnold, Salah, Allison, Van Dijk, Vinicius, Modric, Kross, Benzema(Probably not this one due to his previous case lol), Alaba, etc.

put them on lets play Mario Kart marketing machine and sees how Mario Strikers going to sell like hotcakes.

Voted 7-10M

I remember a picture where Cristiano Ronaldo was wearing Cappy on his head, I wish they would choose him to promote this game.

Cons:
No Daisy

Hell, they don't even need to use the most expensive one. Use the winner of Conference League and Europa League and it will have boost the sales for those specific nation.

Put Tammy Abraham and Mourinho to play this game and it certainly will attract many Britains footies fans eyes lol.(Put AFTV as well as Goldbridge too lol for maximum salt.)

Back
Top Bottom