• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

GSD European sales February 2024 - Helldivers 2 #1, FF7 Rebirth #3, Skull and Bones #9

Xbox's best move at this point (and what they seem to be doing) is to pull a Wii U to Switch transition (a la Nintendo) and move on from this generation sooner rather than later. But they should only launch their next hardware when their software lineup is ready and they can ensure Phil's desired "1 big game per quarter" timeline. Especially since they're not coming off the 360 or the PS4, like in Sony's case, they need to come out with a strong launch title (at this point either Fable) and keep the hits coming with smaller, more experimental experiences in between to maintain momentum.

Everything with regards to their software is building towards late 2025 through 2028 with a lot of key titles. Fable, Gears 6, TES VI, Blade, a rumored Banjo & Kazooie, the next Forza, Halo, Perfect Dark, etc. This next gen might be Phil's last shot.
All their big games are on PC and likely soon on PS5 as well. You can't do a move like WiiU to Switch when most of your heavy hitters aren't exclusive and you don't really change much in the type of system you are selling.

None of the games you listed would make a big difference either and are likely still years off. Perfect Dark, Banjo and co. are not gonna move the needle when even Halo and Starfield failed to move the needle.

Maybe I'm too pessimistic but as long as Nintendo and Sony don't slip up I don't think there is much MS can do. They already sold the cheapest new gen system and GP delivered all there algames for free.....yet still failed against an old Switch and out of stock PS5.

Just don't see a way out of it, because MS I doubling down on killing their consoles with their moves instead of improving things.

As long as Microsoft has no clear message about exclusives, their consoles have no way forward. I was really surprised at the amount of analysts not presenting the possibility of this catastrophic drop coming as Microsoft was making its recent moves.

There's a middle ground between being a console warrior that's crying because your favorite plastic box is gonna lose a list war, and simply dismissing all the very real consequences of what they're doing.

I could see them going the Valve route with the steam deck and make a niche system for a few dedicated markets like the US, making a new Xbox to release in the European market would be laughable. PS5 is now outselling the Xbox by about 10 times in Europe. And the Switch 2 is soon releasing, there is no room at all for Xbox on the European console market when that system is releasing. Microsoft can release their version of the steam deck for the few dedicated Xbox diehard fans in the US though.

If Microsoft is having trouble competing with Sony in the home console front they are going to have their work cut out for them competing in the portable console space against Nintendo.

Xbox's best move at this point (and what they seem to be doing) is to pull a Wii U to Switch transition (a la Nintendo) and move on from this generation sooner rather than later. But they should only launch their next hardware when their software lineup is ready and they can ensure Phil's desired "1 big game per quarter" timeline. Especially since they're not coming off the 360 or the PS4, like in Sony's case, they need to come out with a strong launch title (at this point either Fable) and keep the hits coming with smaller, more experimental experiences in between to maintain momentum.

Everything with regards to their software is building towards late 2025 through 2028 with a lot of key titles. Fable, Gears 6, TES VI, Blade, a rumored Banjo & Kazooie, the next Forza, Halo, Perfect Dark, etc. This next gen might be Phil's last shot.

It's a very different situation. Nintendo simply decided to double down on the side of its business that was constantly successful: portables. And with that move they also, once and for all, positioned themselves away from the high end market and from the power battle.
So for them it didn't matter if their console would become outdated when a new generation would arrive, as it already was since day one.

With Microsoft it would be a disaster to launch like a year or two first, with how fast technology evolves. MS would have a more powerful console earlier, but then whenever Sony decided to release PS6, Microsoft would be left trying to sell an out of date piece of hardware without the advantages of being portable. It would frankly be a Dreamcast situation all over again, as why would anyone buy the Dreamcast/Series Y-Z when they could just wait one or two years and get a PS2/PS6 instead.

It really wouldn't work for anyone but Nintendo.

Last edited:
Another thing about the Switch is most of their games weren’t cross-gen (and couldn’t be since there was no BC) and they weren’t heavily supported by 3rd party publishers. Microsoft releasing a ‘next gen’ console in 2026 does what, exactly? 3rd parties aren’t going to target it on top of still having to provide series s & x versions of the same game. The install base would be so incredibly small not even Microsofts first party themselves could carry it.

It wouldn’t really be any different than launching a pro console other than the fact that in like 2029-2030 (maybe) they could drop the series consoles. By then they’d be competing against the PS6 again.

Microsoft isn't developing a mid gen upgrade, so I think all they have left is start a new gen sooner, will be hard to push Xbox Series until the end of 2028.

Also they should bring something new to the table, the idea of a new duo but with a traditional console and a handheld is interesting.

I think they will be trying hard on mobile too with the new store and if they choosed ARM for next gen, they can have an unified development environment.

It's interesting to speculate what Microsoft will do because they're on a turning point in their business.

I think Ms has already made it pretty clear what it intends to do.
It will continue to produce consoles, at least it will for the next gen, but the focus will be even less than it is today.
This means that marketing will be cut almost to zero, no physical, there will be no console exclusives or at least there will be few or they will be temporal, the production of consoles will be reduced, I expect few million consoles produced a year, less than today, the price will not necessarily be competitive, there will be no deep discount strategy, there will be no war with Sony as we have seen in the past, when Xbox was main PlayStation's competitor. That chapter is over, now Xbox will become primarily a multiplatform publisher and not a console manufacturer company that compete in the market.
Essentially Xbox will become like Surface or Steam deck, a simple hardware option for a "niche" of players to access the Microsoft ecosystem, and it will stop being Xbox as we have known it in the past twenty years. This is what it means as the end of the console war.

Last edited:
Probably because of hardware, February was very interesting in Europe, great hold for both PS5 and Switch, huge decline for Xbox. It will be interesting to see if US will mirror these results.

At least on Amazon there wasn't a big drop for Xbox Series in US.

I asked if there's deals going on for Series X in Europe, because if not I can understand these terrible numbers because it's hard to imagine people jumping in for a 550 euros machine not named Playstation at this point in the gen.

Sure, there's Series S, but it's even more unappealing despite the lower price.

Last edited:
At least on Amazon there wasn't a big drop for Xbox Series in US.

I asked if there's deals going on for Series X in Europe, because if not I can understand these terrible numbers because it's hard to imagine people jumping in for a 550 euros machine not named Playstation at this point in the gen.

Sure, there's Series S, but it's even more unappealing despite the lower price.
Series X is constantly on sale, for example 499€ at Amazon.de right now. But it ranks at #203 on the bestseller chart, while PS5 is at #6.

The point below 👇
Probably because of hardware, February was very interesting in Europe, great hold for both PS5 and Switch, huge decline for Xbox. It will be interesting to see if US will mirror these results.

Series X is constantly on sale, for example 499€ at Amazon.de right now. But it ranks at #203 on the bestseller chart, while PS5 is at #6.
PS5 is also currently cheaper at 449€.

Considering that the PS5 has been selling below MSRP for a while now, do you think we can expect a price cut at the end of the year/announcement of the Pro Model?

The goal should be bringing back the PS5 to its original MSRP price in EU, UK, Japan, etc.
They will have a very tough time doing that in Japan. As an example the original Japanese price back in 2020 is still worth more (much more) dollars back then than the current twice increased price is now in dollars.

Current price with tax is 66980 yen which is right now $440

Nov 2020 Price with tax was 54978 yen which was back then ( assuming around 0.0095 dollar per yen) around $520

Last edited:
They will have a very tough time doing that in Japan. As an example the original Japanese price back in 2020 is still worth more (much more) dollars back then than the current twice increased price is now in dollars.

Oh my god, just googled and the Yen is still going down and reaching into 1990 levels 😅

Weird clearly Xbox has a strong (maybe viable is better word) presence in Germany evidenced by the Xbox cards being #3 and the Xbox controllers in the top 10 etc.

And on searching for XSX I dont find any in stock listing so, difficult to parse much from that. depending on how long is oos ranking can fall greatly. Can you link anything relevant? Amazon search seems crooked anyway. Also noticed the PS5 top SKU is currently OOS at #6.

series s was just a big flop. theres some evidence it sells well near $200, but if they cant feasibly get the price there, and clearly they cant, it's not a good idea,

Weird clearly Xbox has a strong (maybe viable is better word) presence in Germany evidenced by the Xbox cards being #3 and the Xbox controllers in the top 10 etc.

And on searching for XSX I dont find any in stock listing so, difficult to parse much from that. depending on how long is oos ranking can fall greatly. Can you link anything relevant? Amazon search seems crooked anyway. Also noticed the PS5 top SKU is currently OOS at #6.

series s was just a big flop. theres some evidence it sells well near $200, but if they cant feasibly get the price there, and clearly they cant, it's not a good idea,
You see those products as out of stock because you are probably from a different region. I'm from Europe and I see both in stock.
There are still Xbox 1 users here using Xbox cards, ans PC users often use Xbox controllers. Demand for Series consoles seems at an alltime low though.

It will continue to produce consoles, at least it will for the next gen, but the focus will be even less than it is today.
This means that marketing will be cut almost to zero, no physical, there will be no console exclusives or at least there will be few or they will be temporal, the production of consoles will be reduced, I expect few million consoles produced a year, less than today, the price will not necessarily be competitive, there will be no deep discount strategy, there will be no war with Sony as we have seen in the past, when Xbox was main PlayStation's competitor. That chapter is over, now Xbox will become primarily a multiplatform publisher and not a console manufacturer company that compete in the market.
Essentially Xbox will become like Surface or Steam deck, a simple hardware option for a "niche" of players to access the Microsoft ecosystem, and it will stop being Xbox as we have known it in the past twenty years. This is what it means as the end of the console war.
Yeah, the Steam Deck comparison is one I always made with Xbox. Though to be honest Sony might be trending that way in a couple of generations as well. These expensive consoles are getting more and more diminishing returns, PS as a brand is just much stronger in general, but PC is becoming more important for both of them.

I do think MS going the dedicated gaming console route was always a bad thing for them. MS is at their best making software, hardware has always been a struggle from Zune to Windows Phone to Surface. They need to stick to their strength, buying ABK to me was always brilliant. I think maybe they should consider focusing on building the Windows store for everything entertainment including gaming. They should focus on building their Windows platform to fit multiple devices like phones, tablets, and PCs. They need the same approach to gaming. Xbox is a closed platform, if they want to continue hardware then build open platforms like a pre built desktop gaming PC and a pre built portable platform like Steam Deck. Continue to push their ecosystem onto as many devices as possible no matter the form factor, while also offering their own competitors with their own software pre-installed. Talk to Samsung about building a dedicated Windows Phone, keep pushing Surface, and introduce pre built gaming desktop PCs/pre-built gaming portable PCs. Basically continue to sell Windows to hardware manufacturers while offering more niche Windows pre-installed products in multiple form factors.

I do think MS going the dedicated gaming console route was always a bad thing for them. MS is at their best making software, hardware has always been a struggle from Zune to Windows Phone to Surface. They need to stick to their strength, buying ABK to me was always brilliant. I think maybe they should consider focusing on building the Windows store for everything entertainment including gaming. They should focus on building their Windows platform to fit multiple devices like phones, tablets, and PCs. They need the same approach to gaming. Xbox is a closed platform, if they want to continue hardware then build open platforms like a pre built desktop gaming PC and a pre built portable platform like Steam Deck. Continue to push their ecosystem onto as many devices as possible no matter the form factor, while also offering their own competitors with their own software pre-installed. Talk to Samsung about building a dedicated Windows Phone, keep pushing Surface, and introduce pre built gaming desktop PCs/pre-built gaming portable PCs. Basically continue to sell Windows to hardware manufacturers while offering more niche Windows pre-installed products in multiple form factors.

Microsoft was great with Xbox 360, the problem was the mistakes with Xbox One that made the brand walk backwards.

With Xbox, I've heard from a very prominent company and one not so prominent that Xbox's performance in Europe is flatlining. You can follow our monthly coverage in the games market and you can see Xbox's sales are falling and it's fell all throughout last year and it's falling even harder this year.

The major company who released a big game last year said they don't know why they bother supporting it. We've mentioned in a previous podcast that retailers are considering or have began cutting back Xbox stock on their shelves, hardware & games... and now you've got third-party publishers going: "We're putting a lot of effort into creating an Xbox Series S/X version of a game where to be honest with you the market for us is PC and PS5"

And with Xbox putting some of the games on PS5, I understand the majority of them will be coming across at some point, assuming, you know, it progresses as Xbox believes it probably will. I think Xbox is in real trouble as a hardware manufacturer. And that was the thing that came out of GDC for me, because I always just thought, I've always been of the belief that it is the Game Pass delivery system, it's got a good UI, it's got a good controller, if you like Xbox games it's probably the best way to play them, etc. I thought it would be fine but then I didn't really factor in that some developers and publishers might just go, yeah I don't, you know, is there any point? And that is when you can lose it.

I was watching Michael Pachter's podcast and he was talking about how it's all about GamePass for Xbox, yet I've actually been hearing that Microsoft's been putting less focus on GamePass.

Back
Top Bottom