• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

Europe Monthly Charts - Sept 2023: #1 PS5 (+175%), #2 NSW (-28%), #3 XBS (-35%)

enpleinjour

Enthusiast
Pronouns
He/Him

The main reason for the drop was this year's EA Sports FC 24. EA's new football game brand has got off to a strong start, but it is 10% down compared with the launch of FIFA 23 last year. It's worth noting that FIFA 23 had a particularly strong launch. If we compare EA Sports FC 24's launch with FIFA 22, and sales are actually only down 3.7%. EA had anticipated some initial decline as a result of the name change.

EA Sports FC 24 sold best in the UK, and was No.1 in all major European markets.

There was also a drop for the other big sports game of the month. NBA 2K24's opening three weeks on sale are down 17% compared with NBA 2K23.

The second biggest game of the month was also a new IP in the form of Xbox's Starfield. It was a strong launch for the game, which was also available day and date on Game Pass. However, the game couldn't unseat Forza Horizon 5 as Xbox's biggest game launch this geneation. Starfield's first four weeks on sale are 13% below what Forza Horizon 5 managed.

Of course, Game Pass data is unavailable and it's impossible to know how the game performed overall without this insight.

Starfield was No.2 in the UK and Germany. Whereas NBA 2K24 was No.2 in Italy and Spain. In France it was The Crew Motorfest, a game developed in the country, that claimed the No.2 spot.

PS5NSWXBS
Jan+202-11-32
Feb+400-28+13
Mar+400+-19-13
Q1+369-18-10
Apr+144+38+19
May+81+39-16
June+116-2.3-0.8
July+244-9??
August+197+1-12
Sept+175-28-35

European GSD September 2023 Top 10 (Digital + Physical)​

PositionTitle
1EA Sports FC 24 (EA)
2Starfield (Microsoft)
3NBA 2K24 (2K Games)
4The Crew Motorfest (Ubisoft)
5Mortal Kombat 1 (Warner Bros)
6Payday 3 (Plaion)
7Grand Theft Auto 5 (Rockstar)
8Red Dead Redemption 2 (Rockstar)
9Titanfall 2 (EA)
10Hogwarts Legacy (Warner Bros)

Last edited:
35% decline for Xbox over last year is shocking. I’m at a point where I don’t know if Starfield did well or bad.

That's a terrible result for Xbox in terms of hardware. Does that mean the hardware decline would have been even greater if Starfield hadn't released? Or did the Starfield only appeal to people who already had access to game via console/PC.

Also Forza Horizon brand is really strong, for Starfield to not be able to match its performance is quite the surprise.

-35% is huge.
That's the worst month of the year.

Starfield did not do well to.
-13% against Forza is not really great.

Do we have UK data ?

Switch it's -28%.

This was driven by PS5, with sales of Sony's console up 175% over the same period last year. There were still strong stock shortages of PS5 in September 2022.

Nintendo Switch sales were down 28% compared with last September, while Xbox Series S and X sales are down 35% for that four-week period.

Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Italy, Portugal, Russia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland.
as always these are the hardware covered countries. all will be tiny for xbox although france and maybe spain are a bit relevant.

ps5 sales gains seem to have moderated a bit from a 2-4 handle to a 1-2 handle. will be really interesting once we get to yoy with the stock surge.

It doesn't seem that anything Microsoft does can make Xbox competitive in Japan and Europe. Its as always only the US where the acqusitions can make them overtake PS specific months or years. The fact that Xbox is declining more than an old system like the Switch in Europe is pathetic though, Xbox series X/S should be in its growth phase right now like the PS5 evidently is. Not decline in a bigger way than a 7 year old system that is soon being replaced.

as always these are the hardware covered countries. all will be tiny for xbox although france and maybe spain are a bit relevant.

ps5 sales gains seem to have moderated a bit from a 2-4 handle to a 1-2 handle. will be really interesting once we get to yoy with the stock surge.

Continental Europe is a tiny market for Xbox and that's (one of) the issues Xbox has.
Having huge drops in this territories when Starfield releases isn't encouraging.

I still think a lot of the early gen gains from Xbox where entirely down to PS5 shortages and people wanting the next gen fix settling for an Xbox. Now that PS5 is available Xbox demand dropped.

Completely anecdotal but used Xbox Series console are dirty cheap here in Italy:

Series S is sold for €150-€180
Series X is sold for €350-€380

The Series S specifically is barely more expensive than a used Switch Lite

Continental Europe is a tiny market for Xbox and that's (one of) the issues Xbox has.
Having huge drops in this territories when Starfield releases isn't encouraging.

I still think a lot of the early gen gains from Xbox where entirely down to PS5 shortages and people wanting the next gen fix settling for an Xbox. Now that PS5 is available Xbox demand dropped.

Bingo and for that reason the series S was definitely a success. Covid and supply constraints worked more to the benefits of Xbox. If Covid never happened and supply constraints were similar to PS4/XB1 generation I believe marketshare would have shifted even greater towards Playstation.

And in gaming, we expect revenue growth in the mid-single digits. We expect Xbox content and services revenue growth in the mid- to high single digits, driven by first-party and third-party content, as well as Xbox Game Pass.
From the last earnings call, the 24th will be interesting for multiple reasons it seems

It doesn't seem that anything Microsoft does can make Xbox competitive in Japan and Europe. Its as always only the US where the acqusitions can make them overtake PS specific months or years. The fact that Xbox is declining more than an old system like the Switch in Europe is pathetic though, Xbox series X/S should be in its growth phase right now like the PS5 evidently is. Not decline in a bigger way than a 7 year old system that is soon being replaced.

PS5 outsold XBS Sept in US by 50%+ though. UK is likely the same story.

The second biggest game of the month was also a new IP in the form of Xbox's Starfield. It was a strong launch for the game, which was also available day and date on Game Pass. However, the game couldn't unseat Forza Horizon 5 as Xbox's biggest game launch this geneation. Starfield's first four weeks on sale are 13% below what Forza Horizon 5 managed.
That's some real insight for once.

Splatoon 3 affect for Switch last September and nothing this September caused the 28% drop for Switch? Hopefully the Mario Oled and SMB: Wonder can pick things up in October.

Europe Sep 2022: Did we get last year platform break down?

There were 394,000 video game consoles sold across Europe in September. However, it should be noted the hardware charts exclude two major European countries - the UK and Germany.

Console sales were down 20 percent compared to September 2021, but it was up over 29 percent compared to August 2022.

Nintendo Switch was the best-selling console across the tracked markets in Europe. Sales were up over 11 percent compared to August.

PlayStation 5 sales were up 28 percent month-over-month. Xbox Series X|S saw the biggest increase with sales nearly double compared to August.

Now that we have the year over year increases/decreases from Europe, U.S and Japan I think hardware shipments for the July to September quarter (FYQ2) will be something like this:

PS5
3.30m for FYQ2 22/23
4.70m prediction for FYQ2 23/24

NSW
3.25m for FYQ2 22/23
2.75m prediction for FYQ2 23/24

XBS
1.90m estimate for FYQ2 22/23
1.80m prediction for FYQ2 23/24

It wasn't until like February this year when PS5 stock levels finally improved in Europe so they still have many months of easy yoy gains. US got all the stock during last years holiday season.

412k sold consoles. It's always interesting to me how small the "Europe minus UK and Germany" console market is. We're talking about a population of 370m people buying ~400k consoles.

For comparison, Japan with a 125m population sold 470k consoles during a four week September period.

I still think a lot of the early gen gains from Xbox where entirely down to PS5 shortages and people wanting the next gen fix settling for an Xbox. Now that PS5 is available Xbox demand dropped
Is not really a theory honestly, you can see Xbox started to drop as PS5 started to rise.

Which is even more problematic for Xbox when that audience manages to get the PS5 they wanted, as the software, subscription and accessory spending will shift to the PlayStation ecosystem.

so Switch is down 28% but last september had Splatoon 3 (would hardly have registered in EU HW) and the launch of a new OLED model, which would have boosted things a bit.

All being said, not bad for the old dog.

412k sold consoles. It's always interesting to me how small the "Europe minus UK and Germany" console market is. We're talking about a population of 370m people buying ~400k consoles.

For comparison, Japan with a 125m population sold 470k consoles during a four week September period.
Well you've got a mix of cultures and countries where PC gaming is bigger. Russia is 39% of the population in this sample for example and I don't think these consoles are being sold much there, especially at the moment.

Japan is big into console gaming so sells more consoles proportionally for it's population. Also Japan numbers for the last few years have been boosted by the massive overperformance of Switch there.

Europe has always been about 3 big markets, UK, Germany, France, with two decent ones, Spain/Italy and everything else is rather small.

If you remove UK Germany I imagine you remove around half the European market overall.

Also currently it's pretty clear that even Switch sees decent amount of exporting from Japan (thanks to weak yen). its sales are completely out of sync in Japan compared to Europe and US despite last year having big japan focused title (Splatoon 3).

Also worth noting that holiday jumps in HW sales are normally massive in Europe with the holiday period making up the majority of sales for the year, normally a bigger jump than seen in Japan.

Last edited:
Yeah no way around it. Those Xbox Hardware sales are poor. Mainland Europe is a small market for them in general but this is a poor result

Even I - who was not at all high on Starfield doing anything significant for Xbox consoles whatsoever - did not anticipate a 35% decline in console sales during launch month.

Really depressing trend for the Xbox. Big hardware decline despite the hype for starfield and the first Forza in years. Made worse by the huge playstation gains. Cancelling starfield ps5 edition was such a dumb idea.

October could be depressing for Xbox.

Really depressing trend for the Xbox. Big hardware decline despite the hype for starfield and the first Forza in years. Made worse by the huge playstation gains. Cancelling starfield ps5 edition was such a dumb idea.

October could be depressing for Xbox.
It's already depressing considering the reception of FM on Steam (41% positive reviews)

I'm pretty underwhelmed by Starfield's launch in general between the declining hardware sales in Europe and the growth in US/Canada being meager in September. The game just didn't drive hardware adoption as much as I thought it would.

Also currently it's pretty clear that even Switch sees decent amount of exporting from Japan (thanks to weak yen). its sales are completely out of sync in Japan compared to Europe and US despite last year having big japan focused title (Splatoon 3).
Well it does at least show that all those people who reguarly say that Nintendo doesn't need a new console release soon due to how well the Switch are doing are misguided. If the Switch decline is this big in the west this year imagine how badly it will sell next year with the current trends, so that is why they will release Switch 2 next year.
Post automatically merged:

I mean countries like Sweden, Finland, Switzerland etc are all rich but these are small countries which means that console sales will be low. When it comes to the EU the per capita GDP levels of many member states will mean that a lot of European countries will be irrelevant when it comes to hardware sales due to a small amount of the population having the money to spend on new generation hardware.

well these are disastrous numbers for Xbox. It goes to confirm that Starfield did not push Xbox console sales very much as many had anticipated. At this point the only thing on the horizon that maybe could change the history of Xbox console sales this gen is Cod D1 on Gamepass and the associated marketing. Personally I think there will be an improvement in sales worldwide thanks to COD on Gamepass + marketing, but as with Starfield I don't expect a big improvement.

PS5 still going strong. October will be nuts because Spiderman 2. Really is the last hooray for Switch, as i've mentioned in Circana thread, but Xbox results are really atrocious. Totally weird to see that 7 year old console has a less decline in sales than 3 years old console. As provided, Starfield sales aren't good on Xbox. Well, Microsoft decided to cancel PS5 version.

Does that mean the hardware decline would have been even greater if Starfield hadn't released? Or did the Starfield only appeal to people who already had access to game via console/PC.

Even I - who was not at all high on Starfield doing anything significant for Xbox consoles whatsoever - did not anticipate a 35% decline in console sales during launch month.

It goes to confirm that Starfield did not push Xbox console sales very much as many had anticipated

Aren't the vast majority of Starfield sales on PC across the Europe? Saw in one of the threads that Starfield received an award for passing 100k sales in Germany. And Germany is very strong PC market.

Last edited:
Well it does at least show that all those people who reguarly say that Nintendo doesn't need a new console release soon due to how well the Switch are doing are misguided. If the Switch decline is this big in the west this year imagine how badly it will sell next year with the current trends, so that is why they will release Switch 2 next year.
Post automatically merged:
There are several posters that are predicting 2024 (including myself), we have threads with polls. This looks like goalpost moving, several people have predicted 2022 and 2023 and were wrong (your post screams one of these people). Many more predicted those years in those polls than said for 2025 and beyond, who are these people you are talking about? Do you have any post pointing to your predictions? "Soon" means different things to different people, I personally don't think next holiday (Holiday 2024) is soon at all, so you are wrong they don't need a successor soon, just need it next year. Which is what many of us predicted.

I don't think anyone will ever convince me pc day 1 launches don’t eat into console gaming sales. I think there is much more overlap these days than people want to admit, especially across xbox and pc

I don't think anyone will ever convince me pc day 1 launches don’t eat into console gaming sales. I think there is much more overlap these days than people want to admit, especially across xbox and pc
i think there is some overlap the problem is we don't know how much and how it varies on a game by game basis

At this point even COD on GamePass Day 1 + COD marketing rights won't do much to "save" Xbox in mainland Europe, all it can do is prevent major declines.

I can see EU markets struggling quite a bit. Despite the fact that the gaming market is usually not massively impacted by economic downturns, overall inflation and the increased costs related to games specifically have been quite significant.

Terrible numbers for Xbox in Europe no matter which way you slice it in terms of hardware sales. It's one thing to have a 35% decline YoY in a month with no exclusives, another to have a 35% decline with your biggest exclusive in two years launching. Although September 2022 could've been a particularly strong month for Xbox if we consider this comment:
Europe Sep 2022: Did we get last year platform break down?

There were 394,000 video game consoles sold across Europe in September. However, it should be noted the hardware charts exclude two major European countries - the UK and Germany.

Console sales were down 20 percent compared to September 2021, but it was up over 29 percent compared to August 2022.

Nintendo Switch was the best-selling console across the tracked markets in Europe. Sales were up over 11 percent compared to August.

PlayStation 5 sales were up 28 percent month-over-month. Xbox Series X|S saw the biggest increase with sales nearly double compared to August.
But that could just be copium as the internet slang goes. Adding on, even if you consider that, the decline could still be easily in the double digits (~10%) in the month of the largest Xbox exclusive since Halo Infinite (Forza Horizon if we're just looking at Europe specifically)

Regardless, it is becoming a serious discussion on how Xbox can turn around any brand momentum. The only thing I can see turning anything around in any serious degree (rather then just stabilizing the decline) for Xbox hardware sales globally is a consistent cadence of well reviewed and received exclusives (Starfield was the former, not really the latter with the love and hate relationship the internet has with it) over the next bit of the generation and early on next generation. Along with exclusive Call of Duty marketing (but Xbox market has honestly been shite, if there's any team in Xbox that probably needs to be restructured, its the marketing department).

The latter would likely be significantly more effective in the Americas (USA specifically) which, while a big market, doesn't solve absolutely shite sales in other markets, although, isn't Latin America decent for Xbox? But we don't get basically any sales data from there though so it's just vibes. Which makes it inherently bad analysis.

To be honest, Europe might still be a decent market for Xbox as a whole considering they release most of their games on Steam and the EU is big on PC gaming. Starfield sold 100k in Germany on PC, or at least I remember reading it. Of course revenue wise they'd obviously prefer having significant hardware sales in the EU. Edit: The thought occurred to me that Xbox could potentially be focusing on game sales on PC in Europe, with focus on PC gamepass over consoles. But I think that's getting closer to conspiratorial/copium nonsense and not serious analysis

Its why the consistent cadence of good well received exclusives is important because it has the effect in which there are games on Xbox you can't get on PlayStation. Makes it more then just a worse PlayStation. It would still have the issue of not having IPs such as Last of Us, God of War, Horizon (popular enough I suppose), and Goddamn Spiderman. But if, lets say, Clockwork Revolution, the Fable Remake, South of Midnight, Hellblade II, Avowed, probably some other IPs I'm forgetting (they have like, fucking 40 development studios. I'm almost certain I am missing something) are all collectively well recieved (or at least the large majority of them). That would give the Xbox IP more brand strength. Reasons to own one besides Forza, and I guess Starfield (speaking strictly Europe to clarify in this sentence).

Still an easy third place due to digital lockin and sheer PlayStation brand power, but I would like to believe (because I am an optimist despite my very cynical attitude towards the internet as a whole) it would improve Xbox hardware sales. Also COD marketing will do things. Even with declined sales of COD its extremely hard to believe having COD marketing would literally do nothing hardware wise even in Europe.

Regardless, Xbox is likely going to be in a pretty fine financial position despite the hardware side sucking ass if only due to their high amount of revenue from the Xbox stores, digital sales on Steam (have to account for something right?), Minecraft, subscriptions, Xbox Gold (or well, Gamepass Core), microtransactions and now the cold (at least) over a billion in Net Income from ABK alone. Almost certain Xbox heads still would rather want strong hardware sales though.

Last edited:
well these are disastrous numbers for Xbox. It goes to confirm that Starfield did not push Xbox console sales very much as many had anticipated. At this point the only thing on the horizon that maybe could change the history of Xbox console sales this gen is Cod D1 on Gamepass and the associated marketing. Personally I think there will be an improvement in sales worldwide thanks to COD on Gamepass + marketing, but as with Starfield I don't expect a big improvement.

If MS keeps their word on it being available on PS5 for a while (10 years, isn't it?), I don't think it'll have that much of an impact IMO... even if it costs $69,99 on Playstation vs being included on GamePass on Xbox.

I also think people vastly overestimate the general audience's interest on subscription services like GamePass. So imo the majority of COD's audience will just keep buying their yearly entry to play with friends... And if their friends are already on PlayStation they'll just all keep playing it there.

Back
Top Bottom